Xbox 360 system update preview nets you a free copy of Reach (closed)

[quote name='KingBroly']New Update Get.[/QUOTE]

Just downloaded it, know what it's for? The announcement section doesn't say anything...

[quote name='KingBroly']New Update Get.[/QUOTE]
is it finally over? seems like i have this beta channel forever with nothing to do.

I don't know exactly, but my guess is that it has something to do with running games from the Hard Drive.

And no, it's not over.

[quote name='Spanky']I heard the beta users were supposed to be given more "surprises". Still waiting to find out what that is.[/QUOTE]

You'll be waiting for a while. Forever.

[quote name='Spanky']I heard the beta users were supposed to be given more "surprises". Still waiting to find out what that is.[/QUOTE]
The surprise is that we are getting no more surprises.

[quote name='Vader582']The surprise is that we are getting no more surprises.[/QUOTE]The surprise is that our system might not work in the future. ;)

[quote name='shrike4242']The surprise is that our system might not work in the future. ;)[/QUOTE]
Let's be honest. There was already a 75% (at least) chance of that anyway with the 360. :lol:

I've had the disc for about a month now but I have yet to play it. Is there some sort of deadline on how long this will work?

I don't believe there is any deadline to it...

I do have a question for some others... Have you guys been getting an absolute crapload of updates? I had something really weird happen yesterday.

I brought my HDD over to my brother's house and when I booted up the system I got a System Update. Here's the problem: 1) His system is not in the beta 2) I had just used his system the day before

So then last night I get back to my house and I get a system update for my system which is in the beta.

So besides the updates yesterday, I was getting about 1-2 updates a week since the beta started.

I have an old 360 that a friend gave me because he claimed the network card was broken but I don't have a power supply for it so I can't see if it works or not. According to a few rumors, the xboxs with the Hitachi and possibly the Samsung drives are the ones that aren't going to work with the new update. If I can exchange his xbox for a brand new slim I will be beyond happy because it has the Samsung drive. Hoping it bricks with the new update!

[quote name='iiinightmar3ii']I have an old 360 that a friend gave me because he claimed the network card was broken but I don't have a power supply for it so I can't see if it works or not. According to a few rumors, the xboxs with the Hitachi and possibly the Samsung drives are the ones that aren't going to work with the new update. If I can exchange his xbox for a brand new slim I will be beyond happy because it has the Samsung drive. Hoping it bricks with the new update![/QUOTE]

I think you meant this for over in this thread: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=294964

In response though... I think like Shrike said in the thread, it is a mixture of different firmwares and drives that is unknown so far. The person who originally reported it here (credit to Shrike for posting that link originally) said in the comments that his system was a Lite-On drive.

My original launch 20GB has been sketchy at best lately. I'm really hoping when this update pushes through that it bricks my system. I badly need a new one, just can't afford one right now.

Had a really nice surprise waiting on my front porch this afternoon from Microsoft. A brand new xbox, manufacture date 11-2010.

The beta disk killed my dvd drive, which I had just paid a local guy to replace this past December, two days before Christmas. So I had filled out the beta report saying what the dvd did to my drive, and how I had just had it replaced. The beta team rep told me to send it in, sent me a ups voucher, and said they'd be coordinating with the repair center to get it fixed for me.

So I sent it in almost two weeks ago, then got an email last week saying my xbox had been tampered with and that it wouldn't be repaired. I notified the beta team rep, who asked me to verify the info I had submitted, and that it Should have been repaired.

So I was expecting to get my old system back today, but instead somehow got a brand new one (not the sweet 4gb unit, but a standard white unit). Nice lil unexpected treat for my birthday =)

Ah...alomost forgot...it also came with an apology letter saying Sorry for the inconvenience, and it had a 1 month gold card taped to the unit.

[quote name='praxus07']Had a really nice surprise waiting on my front porch this afternoon from Microsoft. A brand new xbox, manufacture date 11-2010.

The beta disk killed my dvd drive, which I had just paid a local guy to replace this past December, two days before Christmas. So I had filled out the beta report saying what the dvd did to my drive, and how I had just had it replaced. The beta team rep told me to send it in, sent me a ups voucher, and said they'd be coordinating with the repair center to get it fixed for me.

So I sent it in almost two weeks ago, then got an email last week saying my xbox had been tampered with and that it wouldn't be repaired. I notified the beta team rep, who asked me to verify the info I had submitted, and that it Should have been repaired.

So I was expecting to get my old system back today, but instead somehow got a brand new one (not the sweet 4gb unit, but a standard white unit). Nice lil unexpected treat for my birthday =)

Ah...alomost forgot...it also came with an apology letter saying Sorry for the inconvenience, and it had a 1 month gold card taped to the unit.[/QUOTE]

How do you find out who the BETA team rep is? I'm having similar issues but they're sending mine back saying it's been "tampered" with.

[quote name='Ronzilla']How do you find out who the BETA team rep is? I'm having similar issues but they're sending mine back saying it's been "tampered" with.[/QUOTE]

I filed a feedback report (3 reports total. My First report was under the wrong section. Software instead of hardware issues, the next was the initial "you broke my xbox after I just got it fixed" report, and the third was about the service center email refusing to fix it) at https://connect.microsoft.com/XboxLIVEUpdate

One of the reps replied to my report, then I got the ups label in the email.

After sending it in I got the email from the service center stating it was tampered with, so I went back and filed a new report (I apparently did it quickly enough that the beta rep intervened and fixed the situation before the service center actually sent it back out, or at least that's what I'm guessing). The rep replied to that posting, saying "Thank you for reporting this issue. We are looking into it now. Can you please look up your console serial number and ensure you have provided the correct information? If it was incorrect when you originally submitted the information it would not be flagged appropriately to facilitate the preview replacement program for an out of warranty console."

I just replied with my info again, that everything was correct, and that this whole thing was one big mess.

After that I didn't hear anything for a few days except for another email from the repair center saying my console was shipped back to me, with a tracking number.

Until it actually showed up I thought I'd still be getting my old console back. Maybe when yours shows up it'll be a replacement console as well?

[quote name='praxus07']I filed a feedback report (3 reports total. My First report was under the wrong section. Software instead of hardware issues, the next was the initial "you broke my xbox after I just got it fixed" report, and the third was about the service center email refusing to fix it) at https://connect.microsoft.com/XboxLIVEUpdate

One of the reps replied to my report, then I got the ups label in the email.

After sending it in I got the email from the service center stating it was tampered with, so I went back and filed a new report (I apparently did it quickly enough that the beta rep intervened and fixed the situation before the service center actually sent it back out, or at least that's what I'm guessing). The rep replied to that posting, saying "Thank you for reporting this issue. We are looking into it now. Can you please look up your console serial number and ensure you have provided the correct information? If it was incorrect when you originally submitted the information it would not be flagged appropriately to facilitate the preview replacement program for an out of warranty console."

I just replied with my info again, that everything was correct, and that this whole thing was one big mess.

After that I didn't hear anything for a few days except for another email from the repair center saying my console was shipped back to me, with a tracking number.

Until it actually showed up I thought I'd still be getting my old console back. Maybe when yours shows up it'll be a replacement console as well?[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately I already got back my xbox. I should've reported like you did while the xbox was still in Microsofts hands. I resubmitted another feedback issue so we'll see. Thanks for the help though. I OWE you big if they end up doing the right thing. :D:applause:

Yeah, so...I, uh, I forgot to play Reach this whole time. I completely forgot about it.

Think there's any sort of punishment for not playing the game? I'll play it now, at least.

so Beta isn't over yet and I haven't gotten an update in over a month. Anyways, was it ever confirmed that we can trade in our original Halo Reach game discs (to Gamestop) and just keep the halo reach beta disc and continue to play that instead or will the Reach beta disc not work later on?

[quote name='Ronzilla']Unfortunately I already got back my xbox. I should've reported like you did while the xbox was still in Microsofts hands. I resubmitted another feedback issue so we'll see. Thanks for the help though. I OWE you big if they end up doing the right thing. :D:applause:[/QUOTE]

No problem. I filed the report within just a couple of hours of getting that "tampered with" email, so I guess I just got lucky with the timing. I was wondering why, from the time the email was sent with the tracking number, to the time it actually got picked up by UPS, was several days. Now I guess I know...LOL.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that they'll handle this properly for you.....

[quote name='praxus07']No problem. I filed the report within just a couple of hours of getting that "tampered with" email, so I guess I just got lucky with the timing. I was wondering why, from the time the email was sent with the tracking number, to the time it actually got picked up by UPS, was several days. Now I guess I know...LOL.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that they'll handle this properly for you.....[/QUOTE]

Right on. If they do fix it or exchange it, I'm gonna owe you big time. I'll keep you posted. I'll get you back somehow. I'll figure something out lol :D.

[quote name='intoxicated662']so Beta isn't over yet and I haven't gotten an update in over a month. Anyways, was it ever confirmed that we can trade in our original Halo Reach game discs (to Gamestop) and just keep the halo reach beta disc and continue to play that instead or will the Reach beta disc not work later on?[/QUOTE]

Microsoft said the media was "yours to keep" but that can mean quite a few different things.

anybody else have a problem where the game disc still spins in your drive even though it's installed? But the game loads fast as if it's installed? Or is it just me...

[quote name='praxus07']No problem. I filed the report within just a couple of hours of getting that "tampered with" email, so I guess I just got lucky with the timing. I was wondering why, from the time the email was sent with the tracking number, to the time it actually got picked up by UPS, was several days. Now I guess I know...LOL.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that they'll handle this properly for you.....[/QUOTE]

Just got an update that they WON'T repair or exchange it. They said it was hardware related and not software related. :cry: Thanks for the help though.

[quote name='CyReN']Does the Reach disk still work after the new update?[/QUOTE]

nope it will disintegrate in your hands and the exact time

[quote name='CyReN']Does the Reach disk still work after the new update?[/QUOTE]

I got an email from Microsoft asking to send it back. It said I'll receive a pre-paid mailer but I'm supposed to send it via carrier pigeon.

[quote name='Spokker']I got an email from Microsoft asking to send it back. It said I'll receive a pre-paid mailer but I'm supposed to send it via carrier pigeon.[/QUOTE]

What update group were you in?

Yes cyren, the disk still works after the update. The question is, for how much longer will it work? I've asked before but no response, so i'll ask again and hopefully someone can help us all out. Will the Halo Reach continue to work fine from now on out? I have the original game and was thinking of trading it in or selling it and could just use the free copy I got instead anyways.

So it's a gamble then I guess, this sucks. Oh well, still gonna get rid of it and if need be i'll get it again later. Thanks for the reply though, guess we don't have many choices now.

They said when you signed up that you would get a free halo reach game, i dont see why they would stop you from playing it. Because it doesnt have disc art? What makes anyone think they are going to block the disc?

Sweet!

Just got an email from the preview program. I guess it's over but they're giving everyone who participated in it a Halo Reach - Mark V Flaming Avatar Helmet!

You can claim your reward by logging onto the Connect site, using the left-hand navigation to select "Product Keys" --> then select "Request New Product Key" --> then select "Get Key".

[quote name='Chemosh013']Sweet!

Just got an email from the preview program. I guess it's over but they're giving everyone who participated in it a Halo Reach - Mark V Flaming Avatar Helmet!

You can claim your reward by logging onto the Connect site, using the left-hand navigation to select "Product Keys" --> then select "Request New Product Key" --> then select "Get Key".[/QUOTE]

I didn't get an email yet, but I just requested a key and got the helmet. :)

So uhhh... does any body want to buy my reach disc?... I have the retail version of the game and don't need it anymore. At the very least could someone guide me in a good direction to pawn it off?

[quote name='tgk2044']So uhhh... does any body want to buy my reach disc?... I have the retail version of the game and don't need it anymore. At the very least could someone guide me in a good direction to pawn it off?[/QUOTE]

I traded mine in to gamestop the other day. Got $15 for it+40% extra with in store trade in coupon and 10% more with my power up rewards card so overall $22.50 not too bad.

bread's done
Back