Xbox 360 system update preview nets you a free copy of Reach (closed)

Just checked my mail and got the code. 6.6gb gone but what ever. Just makes me even lazier now since I don't have to put the disc in lol.

Got it and downloading it currently. Since I had it installed already I'm not technically losing any HDD space. It's nice of Microsoft to solve a problem I had no idea was a problem.

[quote name='seanr1221']As a heads up, you can get 24.00 for Halo Reach at Best Buy.[/QUOTE]
Will they (or any place) take the preview disc? Or is this something you have to get rid of via Craigslist or Ebay?

[quote name='The Ebbtide']Will they (or any place) take the preview disc? Or is this something you have to get rid of via Craigslist or Ebay?[/QUOTE]

The preview disc is dead, hence the code. It's a coaster.

[quote name='Corvin']The preview disc is dead, hence the code. It's a coaster.[/QUOTE]

I haven't tried but you still should be able to play offline if you don't accept the Reach Update. Nothing would carryover as far as online but if you wanted to play campaign local, split screen system link it should be fine. Edited to add I am surprised ebay hasn't be flooded with these. I only saw about a dozen.

For those that didn't receive yours yet you may want to give 18004MYXBOX a call, worked for me, just sucks I have to wait up to 14 days to receive it but it's free.

As long as all of our digital content carries over to next-gen then I don't mind the Games on Demand code one bit despite having to really clean the ~13GB fridge.

It is effectively half of that usable ~13GB of space and it does suck but I just can't bring myself to overspend on their proprietary hardware. (I supplement with flash drives)

What really sucks for Microsoft is that I have upgraded my PS3's HDD to a 500GB one because it was standard hardware and inexpensive to do so. I say that it sucks for Microsoft because it has also completely shifted my digital content purchases to the PS3.

The obvious response to that is that I can get a 360 HDD for that same $50 as the PS3 one but it probably won't be new and definitely won't be 500GB.:booty:

Got mine before it was even posted on joystiq, MS acted fast on it and am glad to be back online playing halo reach FREE. Sucks though to see the 360 code trading thread flooded with codes for the game. Goes to show that a lot of people were just in it for profit and gain.

I got mine a couple days back. I also have to give big props out to tgk2044. I bought his Reach preview disc from him after the beta so my girlfriend could play too and he was kind enough to provide me with the code he just got. He could've kept the code and left me with a useless beta disc, but he didn't. Great guy. :)

[quote name='intoxicated662']Got mine before it was even posted on joystiq, MS acted fast on it and am glad to be back online playing halo reach FREE. Sucks though to see the 360 code trading thread flooded with codes for the game. Goes to show that a lot of people were just in it for profit and gain.[/QUOTE]

To be fair, some people aren't playing it anymore, so why redeem a game that's not going to be played? I'm debating whether or not to keep mine, since I hadn't played it at all since the preview program.

Well Halo Anniversary will extend its' life somewhat with the re-cycled maps. But then there's Halo 4 next fall so they're kind of moving onto the next thing already. I'm sure I'll go back to Reach at some point because I want to beat the Campaign on Legendary, and maybe do some more firefight.

awesome that they sent out free codes for Reach on games on demand. Looking forward to the new playlist/CE maps.

[quote name='Narcisstalker']
What really sucks for Microsoft is that I have upgraded my PS3's HDD to a 500GB one because it was standard hardware and inexpensive to do so. I say that it sucks for Microsoft because it has also completely shifted my digital content purchases to the PS3.

The obvious response to that is that I can get a 360 HDD for that same $50 as the PS3 one but it probably won't be new and definitely won't be 500GB.:booty:[/QUOTE]

Since there has essentially been $100(give or take) difference in the price of the two consoles since launch, you were effectively paying for that feature/hard drive space on the PS3 anyway. You could drop the $100 on a new drive and the consoles would be on an equal playing field price-wise.

Actually I paid $300 for each of the systems. (20GB HDD with the 360 and 120GB HDD with the PS3)

My point was that trying to get people to pay $100+ for even a 250GB 360 HDD still amounts to twice the price for half the space when compared to upgrading the standard notebook drive in the PS3.

Can you even get a 500GB HDD for non-slim 360s without hackery?

Of course neither @XboxSupport on twitter nor 1-800-4MY-XBOX has been able to help me at all as to why I was not sent a code. UUUUUGGGGGGGGGH!

[quote name='sp00ge']To be fair, some people aren't playing it anymore, so why redeem a game that's not going to be played? I'm debating whether or not to keep mine, since I hadn't played it at all since the preview program.[/QUOTE]
If you or anyone doesn't want theirs, I'd be glad to take it since my disk is starting to crack. ;)

Wishful thinking I know. It is great to see MS step up to the plate in taking care of people for this when they really didn't have to. It is a great time to get the game right now since the TU should change the way MP goes.

Contact BSAngel via PM etc on the Halo Waypoint forums over at halo.xbox.com 343i to my understanding is handling this completely.

[quote name='Nogib']Of course neither @XboxSupport on twitter nor 1-800-4MY-XBOX has been able to help me at all as to why I was not sent a code. UUUUUGGGGGGGGGH![/QUOTE]
Same here. Called the number this morning and they didn't even know what I was talking about. Called again this afternoon and was told that they weren't the people to talk to about it.

[quote name='intoxicated662']Got mine before it was even posted on joystiq, MS acted fast on it and am glad to be back online playing halo reach FREE. Sucks though to see the 360 code trading thread flooded with codes for the game. Goes to show that a lot of people were just in it for profit and gain.[/QUOTE]

Just because someone sold their code doesnt mean they were only in it for profit. I tested the new dashboard as I was supposed to. I dont care for Halo so I had no use for the code so I sold it. What was I supposed to do with it? Waste the code and HD space on my XBox or would it make more sense to let someone who enjoys the series use it and pay more than half what they would if they bought the game elsewhere? Your logic just does not add up.

Glad I read this thread. I never even was able try the disc out as I was working or just never had the time when I was off. So my disc has never been used and I'm not even sure where it is. I wont even use the code because I have a retail copy of the game. Nice they are making up for it however it would have been better just to put a patch out that would fix it.

[quote name='sp00ge']To be fair, some people aren't playing it anymore, so why redeem a game that's not going to be played? I'm debating whether or not to keep mine, since I hadn't played it at all since the preview program.[/QUOTE]

That's true, but later if you change your mind and wanna play it you'll end up borrowing it from someone, getting it from gamefly or buying it new/used. I found a copy used for $15 locally on CL but just went with this GoD version. Also, after the update it is more fun too.

[quote name='musha666']Just because someone sold their code doesnt mean they were only in it for profit. I tested the new dashboard as I was supposed to. I dont care for Halo so I had no use for the code so I sold it. What was I supposed to do with it? Waste the code and HD space on my XBox or would it make more sense to let someone who enjoys the series use it and pay more than half what they would if they bought the game elsewhere? Your logic just does not add up.[/QUOTE]

Ignore the email, simple as that or give it away. Hold a contest, i'm sure someone would have put it to good use but it's okay if you wanted to make some $ for it towards something you think would be more beneficial for you. By the way, I just stated that I noticed tons of halo reach GoD codes in the 360 code trading thread and never said all of those people were greedy and were just out for profits. No one initially was really I think, since you couldn't sell the beta disc preview and the games on demand code via email just showed up without anyone noticing it so not like it was known in advanced and planned.

[quote name='garrett007']got a reply from bs angel and he said check my spam folder. This is really pissing me off[/QUOTE]

that like Microsoft sending itself spam lol

its a hotmail account, and its owned my Microsoft lol

[quote name='garrett007']got a reply from bs angel and he said check my spam folder. This is really pissing me off[/QUOTE]

I was told the exact same thing which is bullshit. It wasn't in my junk folder plus I even had the Windows Live team restore a whole extra week's worth of my junk folder just to make sure.

I'm with you in that this is really pissing me off since we have literally no avenue of communication it seems!

it was 100% random that I even looked at this thread with new posts in it.

I am reporting that my xbox email WAS in my SPAM folder which is weird because everything else I ever get from them goes right to my inbox.

I have the code but have not decided if I am going to bother using it or if I'm going to pawn it off in a trade for something else.

I played about an hour of the game and felt it was pretty Meh.

[quote name='Nogib']I was told the exact same thing which is bullshit. It wasn't in my junk folder plus I even had the Windows Live team restore a whole extra week's worth of my junk folder just to make sure.

I'm with you in that this is really pissing me off since we have literally no avenue of communication it seems![/QUOTE]

I called MS and it's a known issue, they are sending me a code within 14 days.

[quote name='sendme'] I wont even use the code because I have a retail copy of the game.[/QUOTE]

If you wouldn't mind giving me the code or selling it for cheap, buddy, let me know. :D

That goes from anyone with no use for the code. :)

Traded in my copy of Reach awhile ago and just snagged a code off eBay for $18. Being able to play a couple games without switching discs is a big plus for me. However navigating to the Reach that is on my hard drive is kind of a pain in the ass... I wish the dash had an option to customize or add shortcuts.

[quote name='crunchewy']I'm sure we are going to see these download codes showing up on ebay. Probably already are there - I haven't checked.[/QUOTE]

they have been being sold for the last week...

...I sold mine on here for $10

[quote name='n4styn4t3']Traded in my copy of Reach awhile ago and just snagged a code off eBay for $18. Being able to play a couple games without switching discs is a big plus for me. However navigating to the Reach that is on my hard drive is kind of a pain in the ass... I wish the dash had an option to customize or add shortcuts.[/QUOTE]

Have you used the Quick Launch feature from the guide button? Very easy to play the last few games you played, especially the ones on your hard drive.

[quote name='zewone']Have you used the Quick Launch feature from the guide button? Very easy to play the last few games you played, especially the ones on your hard drive.[/QUOTE]

Yeah it's awesome except the Reach that shows up there prompts me to insert a disc. I have to navigate to my games library to launch the correct one.

Still no code..

Dear Xbox LIVE Customer:

We apologize for the issue that you are experiencing with regards to the Xbox LIVE service.

The issue you are encountering requires further escalation to one of our product teams for further investigation. At this time we do not have an estimated timeframe as to when your issue will be resolved. Please be assured, however, that your issue is important to us, and we will make every attempt to provide you with a resolution as quickly as we are able.

If you have any concerns regarding this notice, you may either reply to this message or contact Xbox Customer Support directly using the information available at http://www.xbox.com/support/contact and reference the Service Request number above.

Sincerely,

The Xbox LIVE Escalations Team

A week went by anddddddd nothing, I called xbox support and they called back and nothing was accomplished. lucky me they are going to call back again!

[quote name='CaptainKirk']they have been being sold for the last week...

...I sold mine on here for $10[/QUOTE]
Anybody else got a code they feel like selling? Not having to swap discs to play it would be nice.

I sent another message to bs angel, since it's about the only thing left to do since xbox support is doing nothing. I'm disappointed in 343 if they are responsible for this, if it's Microsoft then I'm not surprised.
This communication is horrible

bread's done
Back