Xbox Live Sale @ TRU YMMV

Kakkarrot23

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I didn't see this posted so here goes. I was at TRU and the following 360 live products were on sale but not in the flyer:

1600 MS points for $9.99 - $10 off
Xbox Live Gold 12 months $39.99
Xbox live gold 3 months 9.99 plus a free 3 month live gold. (I did see this at the one store but I didn't see it at the other store I went to. My wife and I had to read it to make sure we were seeing the same thing)

All sign were put up in RZone. I was at the Freehold, NJ store. Sale lasts all week.

Update: I did have to go back to the store as they did sell it to me but for some reason it didn't activate. Showed the manager and he fixed the problem for me. Just make sure it says activation on the receipt.

Last edited by a moderator:
Saw this posted on SomethingAwful... bunches of people checked their local TRUs. Seems to be *VERY* YMMV, so go forth at your own risk...

sale has been going on since friday and the cards werent ringing up then (points and live). From the looks of it though, the SKU numbers dont match the new cards, but match the old ones (which Im sure most stores are out of now).

Damn I'm checkin out TRU tomorrow. $20 for a year of gold; hell I'll buy em out.

Also Im not sure what can be done if they have sale signs and dont ring up. At my store the option to price adjust wasnt showing up, so that option was gone. Only thing that could be done (atleast at the time) was to buy the cards using the old SKU number, call up microsoft and see if they could activate the cards for you.

I passed on that option though.

1600 MS points for $9.99 - $10 off
Xbox live gold 3 months 9.99 plus a free 3 month live gold.

How are some people calculating 6 months of Live costing $10 & a year of Live costing $20?

I'll definitely check this out tomorrow, does anyone know their hours considering its Labor Day? I'll be buying the GHWT kit and possibly lots of 1600 point cards.

[quote name='ZCG']1600 MS points for $9.99 - $10 off

How are some people calculating 6 months of Live costing $10 & a year of Live costing $20?[/QUOTE]
Because it says "Xbox live gold 3 months 9.99" that's 3, and then "plus a free 3 month live gold" that's 6. So basically, BOGO for a 3 month card.

[quote name='ZCG']

How are some people calculating 6 months of Live costing $10 & a year of Live costing $20?[/QUOTE]

Probably with math, I'd assume...

3 + 3 = 6 @ $9.99

Good luck calculating it with art or whatever you were using

Could someone pick me up some points? I live 30 minutes away from my nearest TRU, so I can't really get in on this. pM me if you're willing to help me out. Also have a 360 RB 1 drum kit that I'd trade for 3 1600 points codes. Please help me out!!!

[quote name='ZCG']1600 MS points for $9.99 - $10 off

3 months + 3 months = 6 months for $10
1 year = 12 months, so 2 X 6 months (above) = 12 months for $20

Hmm, I was at a ToysRus this morning, and I didn't see any signs posting of any Sales, except for the stuff on the flyer. Will check it out for the points, but not holding my breath.

I called my TRU. They said they were running the deal, but told to take it down because it wasn't working properly. :( I woulda grabbed one more year of Live. Not that I need it, still have two years stacked, but I would have gotten it since 20 bucks and below is when I go for Live since I was finding so many clearance deals back in the day for sub cards and kits.

Called two of my local TRU's. One was stupid and said they didn't sell XBL cards and the other confirmed the deal for the pre-activated ones ( they didn't have any in ).

Third TRU called said it's $10 off the 4000 point cards, too. So I assume all old products are $10 off.

people, it's for the older looking stuff. the one in orange packaging and won't work on the newer products I tried it sucks oh well. it's ymmv and they are taking the signs down because it is not working properly and they cannot manual override it as the computer won't allow it. So if you're lucky to find the older xbl subscription codes (orange looking ones) you might be in luck. Just 3 month and 12+1 month codes were on sale, not microsoft points. There was no free 3 months of xbl. That would be a miracle

I might try one of my Toysrus. They don't get much traffic to the game section with all the Bestbuys, and gamestops in the area. Maybe they have the old cards left.

Definitely ymmv, I was there this morning. But if anyone is kind enough to pick me up some I'd throw a few extra bucks your way for the code(s).

I live 10 minutes from the Toys R Us in Freehold!

Hopefully it'll also work for me and that they still have some stock.

Grrr... I always miss good deals like this.

I'm visiting family, so I'm a good hours drive (one way) from the nearest TRU. If anyone happens to catch this deal and wants to sell a few 1600 and 3 (read: 6 month) cards then PM me.

Looks like thats my only chance. Curse holidays that I'm outta class! :roll:

I love how yall are calling TRU to see if they had it....

I remember one time a customer called at a store I was working at and said a GREAT deal. I was like "???????" and told them I'd check for them

Sure was!

And yep, told them we were out....and bought it myself. You want a deal? Go there yourself! Don't expect someone to scour the whole store for you and then hold it for you too.

Brings up another story. Guy wanted me to hold like 10 things for him. An old woman came in and wanted one of his items. I sold it to her. Guy came in before the store closed (barely) and tried to get all huffy over that item being sold. Look - when you're on comission, holding shit ain't what it is. When you have goals you have to meet to get paid, you're not willing to hold hope that some guy over the phone that you don't know is going to come in and really buy that shit.

Main point - quit calling and get it yourself or if you're really 30 mins away, pay for it over the phone. Some stores allow that with ID shown when you come pick it up.

[quote name='strongpimphand']I love how yall are calling TRU to see if they had it....

I remember one time a customer called at a store I was working at and said a GREAT deal. I was like "???????" and told them I'd check for them

Sure was!

And yep, told them we were out....and bought it myself. You want a deal? Go there yourself! Don't expect someone to scour the whole store for you and then hold it for you too.

Brings up another story. Guy wanted me to hold like 10 things for him. An old woman came in and wanted one of his items. I sold it to her. Guy came in before the store closed (barely) and tried to get all huffy over that item being sold. Look - when you're on comission, holding shit ain't what it is. When you have goals you have to meet to get paid, you're not willing to hold hope that some guy over the phone that you don't know is going to come in and really buy that shit.

Main point - quit calling and get it yourself or if you're really 30 mins away, pay for it over the phone. Some stores allow that with ID shown when you come pick it up.[/QUOTE]

Couple of problems here, no TRU employee works on commission for one and two they will not allow over the phone payments. 30 minutes is a big waste of gas if they don't have any and there is nothing out there that you wanted to go to or buy. Now I will agree with the "if you call and they have it, they no longer have it" part, I know plenty of times we went from having 4-5 to "one left" for that customer on the phone.

Luckily I have one of these like 5 mins away from me. It might be worth it to run up there just to see iof they have anything good...and to see if any more games have been clearanced.

But it's labor day...would they be open?

[quote name='strongpimphand']I love how yall are calling TRU to see if they had it....

Sure was!

Main point - quit calling and get it yourself or if you're really 30 mins away, pay for it over the phone. Some stores allow that with ID shown when you come pick it up.[/QUOTE]
You sound like a real class act .

[quote name='zenintrude']Probably with math, I'd assume...

3 + 3 = 6 @ $9.99

Good luck calculating it with art or whatever you were using[/QUOTE]

I tried calculating it with art and got a picture of a puppy...I'm gonna see if TRU honors it tomorrow.

[quote name='The 7th Number']TRU.com has 3 months live get 3 month live free, but for 20 bucks. So it would cost 40 for a year on the website.[/QUOTE]

No, the free 3 month deal online is only if you purchase a Pro or Elite system; I just checked. And the free card only shows up if you put the system in your cart. Take it out and the free card goes with it.

[quote name='whywakeup']You sound like a real class act .[/QUOTE]
I have no problem with what he said at all. I don't know how many times I have lost a deal because some jerk phoned in and asked them to hold it. The next day they never came in and I lost out because I wasn't there at store opening. I don't think stores should hold anything for anybody without payment.

bread's done
Back