Xbox One - General Discussion Thread

[quote name="Blaster man" post="11041034" timestamp="1378503604"]
Explain what happens if a game is dependent on cloud computing and you play your game offline.[/quote]
Explain what happens when an indie wants to offer MP or Co-Op and they can't because they can't afford the servers?

But that's right...you guys hate MP. It's too trendy for Sony fans. It's only for dudebros :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Explain what happens when an indie wants to offer MP or Co-Op and they can't because they can't afford the servers?
Way to evade the question. The fact is, MS has made the Xbox One playable completely offline now so it's a perfectly legitimate question to ask - What happens to your games that utilize cloud computing when you play your Xbox One offline?

Movies and most tv shows are god awful this day and age I get more joy out of games then the awful stuff movie and tv shows make these days.
Does the quality of the material == leading the industry? Even if it does, I'm not even sure that most video games are high quality...

Internet_argument.jpg

Way to evade the question. The fact is, MS has made the Xbox One playable completely offline now so it's a perfectly legitimate question to ask - What happens to your games that utilize cloud computing when you play your Xbox One offline?

Does the quality of the material == leading the industry? Even if it does, I'm not even sure that most video games are high quality...

So why aren't you bitching about Titanfall?

This is a stupid argument. You are just trolling. Trying to make it seem bad. They are helping indies who couldn't offer MP and CoOp and you are being dumb asking well what about if I want to play offline. It's up to the indie developer not MS. MS is just trying to support them. Seriously dude?

You can't compare a game that is online only to games that can be played off line but required to be connected to the internet to play.

With that said, i don't think the article said you will have to be connected to the internet to play indie games.

You asked us for proof where is yours?
The opening weekend argument is pretty weak. You can pump out a lot of copies of a video game and sell them day one. There's only so many movie theaters and so many seats. The total take of those movies is much greater than the total sales of any individual game. The Deathly Hallow's Part 2 total: Worldwide Gross: $1,328,111,219

That's just in theaters - doesn't include DVD, Blu Ray, on demand, streaming, cable TV, etc.

So why aren't you bitching about Titanfall?

This is a stupid argument. You are just trolling. Trying to make it seem bad. They are helping indies who couldn't offer MP and CoOp and you are being dumb asking well what about if I want to play offline. It's up to the indie developer not MS. MS is just trying to support them. Seriously dude?
Why would I bitch about a specific game? I'm asking a general question. You won't answer a simple question. Generally speaking, what happens when you play a game that uses cloud computing on an offline Xbox One? I'd appreciate a simple answer without a strawman attack against me.

You can't compare a game that is online only to games that can be played off line but required to be connected to the internet to play.

With that said, i don't think the article said you will have to be connected to the internet to play indie games.

No it did not. Blaster is making shit up for arguments sake.

The opening weekend argument is pretty weak. You can pump out a lot of copies of a video game and sell them day one. There's only so many movie theaters and so many seats. The total take of those movies is much greater than the total sales of any individual game. The Deathly Hallow's Part 2 total: Worldwide Gross: $1,328,111,219
That's just in theaters - doesn't include DVD, Blu Ray, on demand, streaming, cable TV, etc.

Why would I bitch about a specific game? I'm asking a general question. You won't answer a simple question. Generally speaking, what happens when you play a game that uses cloud computing on an offline Xbox One? I'd appreciate a simple answer without a strawman attack against me.

I don't know. Tweet Whitten or Penello. I don't work for MS.

Honestly, it might not even be much of a difference. it really demands as to what the game is having the cloud do it for it.

No it did not. Blaster is making shit up for arguments sake.
What did I make up? I'm asking a question over and over. What happens when you play a game offline that utilizes cloud computing? Are you telling me that no single player games use the cloud to improve game performance?

As far as opening weekend numbers that is a bit misleading. Im pretty sure most games get their huge number at launch but then start to tapper off pretty sharply after that. Depending on the movie, it can open making 100 mil and then 80 mil the next week.

Also, was that just for opening week of both games in the US? If so, im sure if you looked at global numbers it would be a lot different.

You don't know? As often as the cloud comes up, they would surely have explained it somewhere, right?

Dude, the indie news just broke today. All I know is what is in that article. Someone tell me how in the fuck is it bad that MS is doing this? Jesus!

Honestly, it might not even be much of a difference. it really demands as to what the game is having the cloud do it for it.

There's an absolute ton of hype about the cloud and some simple questions are never answered. It's only a few months away and assuming the cloud computing talk is actually real instead of made up pie in the sky nonsense, they should have this worked out by now. My main concern is that you have an Xbox One that can be played offline but then maybe 4 years from now no new games are actually playable offline because they all require the cloud.

You don't know? As often as the cloud comes up, they would surely have explained it somewhere, right?
It hasn't been explained.

Dude, the indie news just broke today. All I know is what is in that article. Someone tell me how in the fuck is it bad that MS is doing this? Jesus!
The more games that use cloud computing to do calculations, the more this question becomes relevant. It's not like this question is new because of the indie games either. It's been asked many times and no one has answered it. It's a few months from launch, you mean they haven't figured this out? Or maybe the cloud computing talk is all bullshit.

The option itself isn't bad. It's the "unknown" of what happens to games that are reliant on the cloud that go offline. Nobody has ever commented on it as far as I know, and that should be one of the first things asked.

Don't disagree with you, just think we need an explanation on how stuff like this works exactly.

There's an absolute ton of hype about the cloud and some simple questions are never answered. It's only a few months away and assuming the cloud computing talk is actually real instead of made up pie in the sky nonsense, they should have this worked out by now. My main concern is that you have an Xbox One that can be played offline but then maybe 4 years from now no new games are actually playable offline because they all require the cloud.

It hasn't been explained.

The more games that use cloud computing to do calculations, the more this question becomes relevant. It's not like this question is new because of the indie games either. It's been asked many times and no one has answered it. It's a few months from launch, you mean they haven't figured this out? Or maybe the cloud computing talk is all bullshit.

Enjoy your ps3+ man. Seriously.

The option itself isn't bad. It's the "unknown" of what happens to games that are reliant on the cloud that go offline. Nobody has ever commented on it as far as I know, and that should be one of the first things asked.

Don't disagree with you, just think we need an explanation on how stuff like this works exactly.
Exactly. I have no problem with cloud computing. It's the fact that they've never addressed some of these concerns that leads one to the conclusion that the answer is either something bad or that they haven't figured this out yet.

Enjoy your ps3+ man. Seriously.
I'm sure I will enjoy all my consoles. I hope you enjoy yours too. Not sure how that's relevant to the conversation but thanks! Seriously, at least it's not a strawman attack this time. So, what happens when you play one of those games offline Mr Question Evader?

Honestly, I think "cloud" gaming at this point is a buzz word. In theory it can work and can be awesome but we are still a few years away form it being anything of meaning.

Which is why I really wouldnt worry about it just yet. I doubt any games in the foreseeable future will use cloud gaming.

WV how old are you?

EDIT: Forget it, you're obviously a fanboy. I'm deleting this comment.

Umm, Matsui why are you even making that comment? It has nothing to do with what hes asking, lol.

He didn't even bring up Sony at all and he isn't even going to get either system at launch, lol.

I just don't understand what the problem is with MS trying to plan for the future. I don't know the answers I'm just a gamer. But what do you think the Internet is going to look like in 5 years? Whose to say we are still buy disk games? This FA could change very quickly. Just as fast as HD DVD died.

I just don't understand what the problem is with MS trying to plan for the future. I don't know the answers I'm just a gamer. But what do you think the Internet is going to look like in 5 years? Whose to say we are still buy disk games? This FA could change very quickly. Just as fast as HD DVD died.
If you don't know then you don't know. Doesn't make it ok to lash out at people. Its not an attack on you or Microsoft. its a valid question.

If you don't know then you don't know. Doesn't make it ok to lash out at people. Its not an attack on you or Microsoft. its a valid question.
Exactly. I don't even understand why a defensive posture even needed to be taken.

My guess is that they'll eventually use it for single player games at some point before the end of the lifecycle and that those games will be single player "always online" games. I just don't see developers working it any other way. It's probably possible to handle both offline and online but they aren't going to spend those resources on it with the possible exception of the first few games that are put out which will most likely be first party games with unlimited budgets from MS.

I'd say its more PC gamer dominated. But yeah, it's leaned Sony on the console side, and is very anti-X1 as its arguably the biggest hardcore gamer forum and that niche was the one most upset and vocal about the DRM, and they haven't been forgiving at all after the 180s.

Anyway, I like the site and post over there more since CAG is so slow lately. The number of posts per day has been declining here for ages and the move to CAG 3.0 seems to have accelerated that. I also like that GAF is tightly moderated so you don't get all the personal attacks and trolling that are so rampant here anymore.
Since the whole 3.0 redesign, CAG has been a lot slower.

I really wish that people who are going to be negative about the Xbox one would go post somewhere else. This is a thread meant to discuss the things people are looking forward to, not piss and moan about.

#dealwithit

See what I did there?!? ;)

most of the worlds internet backend including u.s can't handle 24/7 cloud only gaming look how bad on live service is and yes i understand im sure they don't have servers like ms/sony but still. Avg person in the u.s has no faster then six mbps internet speed some people are stuck with under 1 mbps speeds if thye live in middle of no where. 

Yeah don't see MS getting out of the console business...
Not a chance. They are now bringing in almost 1.2 billion a year just from Xbox Live Gold subscriptions alone and Xbox Live has seen 10% year on year growth since its very first year on the original XBox. Xbox Live Arcade game sales doubled from 2011 to 2012 and its looking like its going to come close to doing the same in 2013. Anyone who thinks MS is getting out of the console business has no clue what they are talking about. What they have been able to accomplish in just 2 generations is nothing short of amazing, especially when you consider they were going up against 2 veteran game companies that have been in the business for a very long time! Nope, MS isn't going anywhere. Every year that passes see's MS's gaming division becoming more and more successful.

Umm, Matsui why are you even making that comment? It has nothing to do with what hes asking, lol.

He didn't even bring up Sony at all and he isn't even going to get either system at launch, lol.
He just can't resist the urge to be a dick. He has the chance to show he's actually capable of debating without being childish but that dickish urge is just too strong. He especially likes it when he can say something negative about either Sony/PS4 AND be a dick. Those are his absolute favorite posts.

Yeah don't see MS getting out of the console business...
Not saying it's likely, but there is a certain group within Microsoft that holds sway that is pushing for that, so it could happen

Erad is at it again when will he just admit he hates ms and wants xbox one to fail? Anyways about smart glass I really think smart glass on 360 was just a test run pretty much beta version and testing it for xbox one. I think smart glass for x1 will be great.
Call me a hater and troll all you want, but ultimately I want all 3 companies to succeed, it's good for business. It doesn't change the fact that Surface and nearly every MS device is a massive failure (who owns a windows phone? Who bought a Zune?) and like I said, while the Xbox division is profitable apparently it's not enough as there is some call to get rid of it and have MS be basically just a services company because the devices either lose them bundles of money or barely make any compared to their services.

Playstation has a way better chance of folding than Xbox. Wanna talk numbers let's talk about how bad Sony is failing...

Playstation has a way better chance of folding than Xbox. Wanna talk numbers let's talk about how bad Sony is failing...
Xbox will be around as long as MS can support it with it's "real" businesses. If those start to lose power and they can no longer afford to buy developers then the Xbox will be hurting. That's nowhere near happening right now despite the weakness of the Windows brand the last couple of years.

Playstation - Sony could go into bankruptcy and someone would probably buy the Playstation unit...

I can't see MS or Sony going anywhere.  It would take two or three colossal failures in a row for that to happen.  

I could see Nintendo getting out of the console business and focusing on portables.  Or more likely making their next console a portable/console hybrid.  Basically just pack the portable with either a dock or an HDMI dongle to stream to the TV.  Then they can have their two screen Wii U type experience and not also have to support a separate portable.

The Wii U would probably be in much better shape if the 3DS wasn't in the picture as it would have already gotten more Mario and Zelda and Animal Crossing etc. type games as their development teams wouldn't be split across two platforms.

I also can see Sony giving up on portables after the Vita given it's struggles.  In the age of smartphones and tablets, I'm just not sure there's a huge market for more adult focused gaming portables like the Vita.  Just the niche of hardcore gamers who want to play full on, console style games on the go.  Nintendo can still do good business with their portables as they kill it with kids/parents.  But even that is shrinking and the 3DS won't likely hit DS level sales.

I don't think MS will leave the business as a whole, but there has been rumors floating around for years that MS would consider selling the hardware division off to the point where they would still be involved, just not in the cost of manufacturing the hardware. So we would still get games like Forza and Halo, just they wouldn't be able to make money off the hardware. It would be a good decision for the original XBox/360, but I don't think that's the case with the XB1 since they will break even or even a small profit the first day of release that's huge.

Either way the XB1 will be alive for a good 10 years with MS. We don't even know if consoles will still be around then. Everything might go the way of the cloud to the point where It's like a chromecast - you just plug in the dongle to your monitor/TV and it comes with one controller. Or we might go all VR headset. No one knows. But I do know that MS wants to profit more out of the console business and investors don't want them to lose anymore money. Losing money on consoles is a thing of the past for every company now.

The biggest company that needs to sell like hot cakes is Sony who was in the red last gen due its losses in its Sony Television Division.

The biggest company that needs to sell like hot cakes is Sony who was in the red last gen due its losses in its Sony Television Division.
sony over prices all their products only reason why ps4 is 400 bucks is because they can't have another ps3 launch and still have hope to stay in gaming industry.

sony over prices all their products only reason why ps4 is 400 bucks is because they can't have another ps3 launch and still have hope to stay in gaming industry.
No not really since Sony sold the PS2 and PS3 at loss during launch and you were getting a bargain considering the technology that was under the hood at that time. Stand alone DVD and Blu-ray were expensive during the launches of both Sony systems at their respective time.

Neither company have been profitable the past 10 years in the gaming division. Microsoft had lost 3 billion and Sony has lost 5 billion in the same time frame.

Both companies expect minimal losses due to hardware at least this gen, so hopefully both do better.

No not really since Sony sold the PS2 and PS3 at loss during launch and you were getting a bargain considering the technology that was under the hood at that time. Stand alone DVD and Blu-ray were expensive during the launches of both Sony systems at their respective time.
not just talking about their game systems

bread's done
Back