Xbox One - General Discussion Thread

I don't think they overpriced the Ps3 since it was sold at a loss. Their TV's are wayyyyyyy too expensive. They shouldn't be charging more than Samsung since they make them in the same factory but they do anyway.

Sony uses Samsung parts!?!?

Sony uses Samsung parts!?!?
Well it's actually a bit to explain. For most of the last decade Samsung and Sony each owned about 50% of the factory that made the LCD screens. So if you bought a Sony or a Samsung LCD in say, 2009 or 2010, they would be the same exact screen made in the same exact factory. Sony has since sold their ownership stake to Samsung and now Samsung owns it all. This was in a bid to outsource the parts purchase and hopefully reduce costs. So technically they don't have the SAME TV any longer but Sony should be able to sell for even less since they're able to go to the lowest bidder now.
Joint venture:
http://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1150748
Sony sells it's stake to Samsung:
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/12/26/us-sony-samsung-idUSTRE7BP03N20111226

Back in 2007 or 2008, Samsung was selling their 55" TV's for around $2,000 and Sony was selling theirs for around $3,500. The only difference was the name on the front and the firmware they were using. The firmware could make a difference in terms of picture quality for SD content but I have a hard time believing it made a $1,500 difference if you know what I mean.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just finished paying off for the Xbox on amazon. This will make a very nice gift for myself since its coming out on my bday.

How do you payoff a console on Amazon when it doesn't charge your card til it ships?

People are buying gift cards then applying them to the purchase.
Can I buy amazon gift cards through amazon? I'd rather pay off my Xbox one now since Amazon will start charging sales tax for CT residents by the time it ships.

abuju6e7.jpg
me7y4ehe.jpg

sony over prices all their products only reason why ps4 is 400 bucks is because they can't have another ps3 launch and still have hope to stay in gaming industry.
Yeah that was one main reason why they priced it like they did, plus they removed the Sony Camera from their initial bundle to hit that mark - way back at E3.

Do anyone else use skins for their consoles? I didn't like the plain white for my 360 so I got the badass Bumblebee Transformers Yellow and Black racing stripe skin for the thing. I also got a skin for my DS because again it was white and everyone thought I had an apple product. ><

PS Faceplates are lame lol

Oh! Oh no!

1310650820313.jpg

I can't wait for 11/22! I'm such a sucker for new game system launches.

Matsui, is that from your local Microsoft store, or did you find those on the 'net? A new one opened by me and I've been thinking of going over there to check it out, but you know....then I'd break the glass (or worse...see the image above)....go to jail, etc.

Haha, sir, please take your nipple off the glass!

Lol found an old pic:

currentxbox360op3.jpg

My DS Lite

august6thdsliteza9.jpg

Everyone goes ape shit with different colors of the console but for like $15 you can customize the thing with some cool patterns or artwork.

I'm digging the DS skin.  Nice.  The only customization I've ever done was an N7 vinyl decal on my old fat 360 before I upgraded to the Halo 4 slim. 

I'm sure at some point they will release a Mass Effect 4 or Final Fantasy XV limited edition X1 and I'll have some hairbrained, cheap-ass infused scheme to get that.  Ha!

Matsui, is that from your local Microsoft store, or did you find those on the 'net? A new one opened by me and I've been thinking of going over there to check it out, but you know....then I'd break the glass (or worse...see the image above)....go to jail, etc.
I saw the same display in a mall in Cinci a few weeks ago. Employee came over to give me the sales push. I told her I was good.

Two things that bother me - Those evil kinect red lights, thankfully can turn that ish off if I really wanted to.

Fingerprints all over that console. Fingerprints. Everywhere. This is why I liked my white 360.

Notice how Ryse stuttered a bit during that boat landing, but I'm amazed at the fact you can dashboard while the game is playing like that. Thought it wouldn't work well with the higher end games.

Cool I finally saw it haha.

Gotta kill the leaked videos. Don't want any good buzz swirling around their console.
You obviously don't know how NDAs work.

Two things that bother me - Those evil kinect red lights, thankfully can turn that ish off if I really wanted to.

Fingerprints all over that console. Fingerprints. Everywhere. This is why I liked my white 360.

Notice how Ryse stuttered a bit during that boat landing, but I'm amazed at the fact you can dashboard while the game is playing like that. Thought it wouldn't work well with the higher end games.
Since the footage is of Beta, I wouldn't judge any performance until you're at least in production mode or Gold. That was cool that you can basically just thumbnail your game and go about your business in the home screen.

the lights on the kinect and controller seem bright because of the camera. In person, our eyes can't detect them like that. It's like when you press a button on a remote, you can't see the light blinking on the front ...but if you hold up a camera to the remote and press a button, the camera can see the light.

xbone unboxing sort off http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oebcM-LF1PY
think looks sexy and i don't mind all the vents on the thing i don't care if they need more vents as long as we don't get over heating issues. this thing is only two months away :bouncy:

&amp;nbsp;
think looks sexy and i don't mind all the vents on the thing i don't care if they need more vents as long as we don't get over heating issues. this thing is only two months away&amp;nbsp; :bouncy:
i wonder if it is going to be loud as hell, since it is much bigger than xbox 360

&amp;nbsp; i wonder if it is going to be loud as hell, since it is much bigger than xbox 360
One reason the case is so large is because MS is using a larger cooling fan. A larger fan can get the same cooling effects at a lower RPM than a smaller fan. Lower RPM = less noise.

One reason the case is so large is because MS is using a larger cooling fan. A larger fan can get the same cooling effects at a lower RPM than a smaller fan. Lower RPM = less noise.
This is pretty much PC gaming talk, lol we can really see how that's influenced both consoles this time around. There was a time when I was looking to trick out my old desktop PC with a 120mm fan but I found a deal on a sweet laptop instead.

I'm confused.

Is the console region-free, or just the software?

MARC WHITTEN, CHIEF XBOX ONE PLATFORM ARCHITECT: Neither the console or the software have any region locks.

Why wouldn't it be able to play other region blu-rays? It seems like the system is set the same whatever you buy it in the US or the UK.

I like the look of the X1 and can appreciate the big ass fan and vents.  If they help keep that thing cool and running smooth, fine by me. 

I'm confused.

Is the console region-free, or just the software?

MARC WHITTEN, CHIEF XBOX ONE PLATFORM ARCHITECT: Neither the console or the software have any region locks.

Why wouldn't it be able to play other region blu-rays? It seems like the system is set the same whatever you buy it in the US or the UK.
Assuming it's like the PS3, technically the Blu Ray player has a region code associated with it, but 2/3 of Blu Rays are "region free" (they really have region codes for all 3 Blu Ray regions). So while all PS3 games are region free, the Blu Ray (and DVD) player portion has a region code tied to it.

I guess in theory the Blu Ray player portion could be coded multi-region (I think) but I wouldn't count on it.

Haha and I see everyone cheering for joy now. Granted PC has many options for PC software distribution but it even says it'll exclude games on those options and will only work with Steam games. Still you'll find more friendly prices there then on Microsoft's box but still I bet people will enthusiastically flip out for this while before it was like Microsoft threw a padlock on your console.

For me it was all about pricing.  If I had any confidence that the MS store would see crazy sales like Steam does I'd have been all over their plan.

With the crazy prices in Steam sales, I'd have no issues with DRM and not being able to resell my games as I'd be paying the same or less per game as I do now with buying disc games and selling after beating--without the hassle of listing and shipping sold games.

I've gone fully digital for music (though that's DRM free) and e-books.  So I'm all for digital stuff.  It just can't be priced the same as physical goods that don't have DRM restrictions for lending, selling etc.

I don't recall anyone having a problem with the family sharing, just the inability of Microsoft to actually thoroughly explain it even half as well as Steam just did.

Regarding the new Steam Family Plan announcement...yeah, it's pretty ironic that some of the same people I saw beating MS up in thread after thread regarding the Family Share plan are cheering this (not at this site, but at others).

As for the pricing with MS's proposed system, no, there was no pricing scheme that included great sales and deals in place.....yet.  Thing is, Steam didn't start out with those, either.  In fact, Steam was widely disliked until it was proven that the model could produce great pricing for consumers.

My hope was that the XBO would have released with the previous plan, gotten knocked down in the marketplace because people didn't really "get it", and then MS would have then been forced to get the pricing and discounts right or have the product fail entirely.  It seems very likely that it would have led to lower pricing for digital downloads a lot faster than keeping the current model.

Not ragging you Central but in general I have never understood the "yet" part that everyone always alludes to on MS's magical Steam deals that some think were bound to happen on the x1... because MS loves us. :lol:

They've had 8 years to get aggressive with pricing to tempt people over on the 360. They haven't. That's 8 years of data telling us otherwise. In the wise words of Jeff Canatta, "It's nice to want things."

I hope to hell digital pricing is competitive and we get better sales than this gen, but history simply doesn't support the belief that it is inevitable.

I don't recall anyone having a problem with the family sharing, just the inability of Microsoft to actually thoroughly explain it even half as well as Steam just did.
:lol: Pretty much this. If it was as awesome as everyone thought it was going to be, they should have been making it absofuckinglutely clear and shouting it from the rooftops as their #1 feature instead of Kinect. Instead, it was a tweet here, an interview there, of it does this, it might do this, the potential for x is here, etc.

The problem with console digital games is that console are closed systems.  The Xbox market place is the only place you can buy digital games for the 360 and X1.  The PSN marketplace is the only place you can buy digital games for the PS3/4.  Other than some games that have retailers sell download codes--but that's still just a code to download for those stores.

On Steam, the crazy sales came about through competition as a result of PCs being an open platform.  There are multiple stores where you can buy and download PC games.  That competition results in crazy sales as Steam has to give people a reason to buy digital games from them instead of Amazon or  one of the various other stores.

So I don't know that we'll ever see those kind of crazy sales on digital games on MS, Sony or Nintendo machines as being closed platforms that competition isn't there beyond making sure third party game downloads aren't cheaper on one of the other platforms.  It's just not the same as PC where anyone with a gaming PC can buy games from any of the stores offering them.

bread's done
Back