Xbox One - General Discussion Thread

In the same boat, have the 2 GB plan. Interesting, I would have never thought about the hot spot solution.
I wouldn't use it to download large games or play online, but it could be good to pop achievements and buy stuff on sale to download later, especially the GwG stuff.

Next big feature I'm awaiting in a future update is Xbox Music background support. It'd be nice to be able to use it in the background without needing it to be snapped, as sometimes I like to listen to music while gaming on my PC.

App wise I'm hoping for a Spotify app, and I'm not 100% sure if it was originally an app or a game but I'd like them to reintroduce 1v100.
Hard to see them doing a Spotify app with the Xbox Music service already in place.

being a Halo man that sold the original xbox for me

Gears of War was the icing that sold the Xbox 360 from Launch for me

This generation Sunset Overdrive is what will sell the Xbox One for me and hopefully it remains an exclusive franchise so I can add it to my list of favourites with Halo and Gears

Im very much a fan of exclusive games, it just brings back memories of how Mario was always related to Nintendo in the 90s whilst Sonic was always Sega in the console wars.

Little gems like those before Sonic for an example became cross platform use to bring an association in gaming and a charm to the gaming era when discussing with fellow gamers

Still sounds really odd. Would you instantly lose any appeal and interest if the 2nd game wasn't an exclusive?

I'm all for exclusives but if a sequel ever came to more platforms (Take Dead Rising 3 for example) I wouldn't cry and throw myself down and swear off the game all together.

Hard to see them doing a Spotify app with the Xbox Music service already in place.
Blocking competitor apps is a very bad business practice that would seriously hurt them.

That being said Xbox Video competes with Vudu as a movie purchasing application but Vudu still has an app. Same could be said for the Amazon Instant Video application.

Also upon further digging it sounds like they are adding a Spotify App down the road (Along with Music Playing in Background).

This was apparently leaked by that Reddit employee.

http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/21225/article/microsoft-employee-reveals-info-on-xbox-one-background-tasks-music-spotify/

The tying of online to achievements/trophies this generation is lame. It sounds kind of sketchy and unknown what happens when you earn them offline.

Does anyone know for sure how it works? So it doesn't pop on the screen offline but it should get queued up for when you are online? Do they all just unlock automatically when you launch a game or is it hit or miss?

I ran into a fear of this last night when playing Watch Dogs. I was in a story mission and clicked the Xbox button to check my friends or achievements and I got the It's Time for an Update message. In the middle of my game. As the choices were either to do it or go offline I didn't want to mess with my unlocks so I let it update and lost my mission progress.

Sometimes my Internet might go down. Why make a disincentive to play then? I'm not someone who NEEDS achievements to play, hence why I still play Nintendo games, but it sure adds fun and replay to me. Why play offline when I can just wait and play online without fear of messing things up? Seems poorly thought out.

Also, does anyone else hate the super clicky shoulder buttons now? I loved the 360 controller and still prefer any Xbox controller to the alternatives but I don't like this new clicky stuff. It's harder to press and the sound annoys me.

I got Guacamelee tonight but couldn't test it before work. Will at least get in a little early play tomorrow since it doesn't come out till Wednesday.

But I did get to play a few minutes of Sniper Elite 3 (which took 90 minutes to download!) before it launches tomorrow! If you enjoy sniping in shooters, Sniper Elite is just so good. It has big levels with lots of stealth opportunities and multiple ways to approach situations - sort of like what I hear about that Metal Gear Solid paid demo. You can really take your time and set up highly impressive kills, the dramatic camera effects for which never get old to me. And the Xbox One version looks very good (1080P, word) despite not being a AAA-budget title. Looking forward to playing it more soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got Guacamelee tonight but couldn't test it before work. Will at least get in a little early play tomorrow since it doesn't come out till Wednesday.

But I did get to play a few minutes of Sniper Elite 3 (which took 90 minutes to download!) before it launches tomorrow! If you enjoy sniping in shooters, Sniper Elite is just so good. It has big levels with lots of stealth opportunities and multiple ways to approach situations - sort of like what I hear about that Metal Gear Solid paid demo. You can really take your time and set up highly impressive kills, the dramatic camera effects for which never get old to me. And the Xbox One version looks very good (1080P, word) despite not being a AAA-budget title. Looking forward to playing it more soon.
I look forward to hearing what you think of it! Since I didn't have an Xbox One til very recently and I still only have the Windows 7 Phone, I never would actually get to play the games you wrote about. Now that's changed.

The original Guacamelee was incredible beyond words. This is the same game plus DLC and new extra content, so it should be even better. It's a shame there's no online co-op, though.

The original Guacamelee was incredible beyond words. This is the same game plus DLC and new extra content, so it should be even better. It's a shame there's no online co-op, though.
No online?! Ah well, I'll get plenty of local co-op out of it.

Called you the other day but no answer, btw.

Regarding the lack of online co-op, I read that on Co-Optimus. :p

Not sure how often you check Facebook. You must have seen my comment on your page, but I reckon you didn't see my post about my phone. Kinda long, but please check it out if you can as it explains everything. I didn't know you called until I read your post.

So, I recently downloaded Plague Inc. for my Android phone and I've been addicted.

I did not realize this one thing though:

It's coming to Xbox One.

I'm pretty damn psyched now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSat_gLDXPc

Really enjoying Strike Suit Zero. Like usual I don't agree with most of the critics with this game and am having a blast with it. Was it the $20 dollars that got everyone's panties in a bunch? We've got digital games now so I understand the price point. It reminds me of a old PC game I used to play Freespace, (man that franchise needs to come back). We need more space fighting games and def could work with the current tech we have now imo. Game looks gorgeous, aside from low resolution textures for the space ships but the backgrounds all look great. There's a lot of game here too, recommend for the price imo.

Anybody up for a full rundown of the Xbox.com revamp's pluses and minuses?

Xbox.com gets improved Xbox One support, but four key features are still unsupported

That detail!

Really enjoying Strike Suit Zero. Like usual I don't agree with most of the critics with this game and am having a blast with it. Was it the $20 dollars that got everyone's panties in a bunch? We've got digital games now so I understand the price point. It reminds me of a old PC game I used to play Freespace, (man that franchise needs to come back). We need more space fighting games and def could work with the current tech we have now imo. Game looks gorgeous, aside from low resolution textures for the space ships but the backgrounds all look great. There's a lot of game here too, recommend for the price imo.
It's definitely a good game for its genre... But the controls and combat system are below console standards IMO. I've only done two levels but I just don't enjoy combat, which is hard when that's like all the game is. But I would put more time into getting used to it if I actually had the time.

No online?! Ah well, I'll get plenty of local co-op out of it.

Called you the other day but no answer, btw.
The co-op isn't what I'd call good since there's a lot of platforming that would be extremely hard to do in co-op that requires switching back and forth between dimensions to make certain platforms appear.

Gotham City Imposters is up on GwG, but where's Guacamelee?  Was it delayed until tomorrow because that's it's official release date on the Xbox One even though it's available today on other platforms..?

Edit: Yep, according to this article that looks to be the case.

So does that mean 360 GwG will be the 1st and the 15th while Xbox One will be the first Wednesday of each month, or is that only the case with Guacamelee because it's release date fell after the 1st?

Gotham City Imposters is up on GwG, but where's Guacamelee? Was it delayed until tomorrow because that's it's official release date on the Xbox One even though it's available today on other platforms..?

Edit: Yep, according to this article that looks to be the case.

So does that mean 360 GwG will be the 1st and the 15th while Xbox One will be the first Wednesday of each month, or is that only the case with Guacamelee because it's release date fell after the 1st?
because release date is on the 2nd

Anybody up for a full rundown of the Xbox.com revamp's pluses and minuses?

Xbox.com gets improved Xbox One support, but four key features are still unsupported

That detail!

It's definitely a good game for its genre... But the controls and combat system are below console standards IMO. I've only done two levels but I just don't enjoy combat, which is hard when that's like all the game is. But I would put more time into getting used to it if I actually had the time.
Felt the same in the beginning but on the 4th mission I got the controls. Also it's when you get your strike suit zero ship is when you can blow things away. I was going toe to toe with a corvette in that mode lol. The combat is actually very reminiscent of the Ace Combat games I've played. I did not like on mission 3 they sent waves and waves of enemies at you and no way to refill your armaments so I had no missiles until I died and then oh I have full missiles now.

Everyone should have Guacamelee for themselves already, but here's a quick 2-player playthrough of the beginning of the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8G9LON-gSQ0

xbox one games show up for me in search on website
Weird that they show up for some people and not others.

I tried to not bitch too much when the July GwG titles were announced, but now that I've played Guacamelee, I can comfortably say this is the weakest month of GwG for me (spanning the 360 and X1).  It seemed like a lot of people were hyped for this game, and I do appreciate that it's free upon release, but good God the game bored me to tears. 

I'm plugging along with Tomb Raider:DE and now PvZ: GW again, but I really cannot wait for Destiny and Inquisition.

I tried to not bitch too much when the July GwG titles were announced, but now that I've played Guacamelee, I can comfortably say this is the weakest month of GwG for me (spanning the 360 and X1). It seemed like a lot of people were hyped for this game, and I do appreciate that it's free upon release, but good God the game bored me to tears.
You don't like Zelda 2 and Metroidvania-style games?

Not really.  I really enjoyed Shadow Complex and I dig the new Strider, but the only thing that I liked about Guac was the music.  And, as a point of reference, I've been gaming about 33 years.  I was there when Metroid came out and when Castlevania was a left to right affair.  :oldman:  So, I've played my share of MetroidVania's over the years. 

I'm finding that I'm not a big fan of artsy indie games.  There have been a few exceptions like Bastion and Limbo, but generally the more stylized a game is, the less I'm into it. 

Not really. I really enjoyed Shadow Complex and I dig the new Strider, but the only thing that I liked about Guac was the music. And, as a point of reference, I've been gaming about 33 years. I was there when Metroid came out and when Castlevania was a left to right affair. :oldman: So, I've played my share of MetroidVania's over the years.

I'm finding that I'm not a big fan of artsy indie games. There have been a few exceptions like Bastion and Limbo, but generally the more stylized a game is, the less I'm into it.
That's too bad. I haven't played Guacamelee long enough to have a fully informed opinion yet. But it appears to have a very solid and traditional gameplay foundation. The premise, characters, and writing are the "indie" parts, but it's not like some undercooked indie game concept like Entwined for Playstation 4.

I am way more likely to care about a game if it has artistically distinct and interesting visuals, whether it's the cartoonish Luchador aesthetics of Guacamelee, the perfect 8-bit pixel art of 1001 Spikes, or the modern stylized pixel art of Super Time Force. Or hell, even Borderlands - originally some people wouldn't give it a chance because it didn't look bland and realistic. But I like those three indie games in particular because they are traditional games with strong core game mechanics.

Not everybody can like every kind of game though, and that's totally fine.

One of the last labels I'd ever use for Guacamelee is "artsy" since it's art style isn't prioritized above everything else like most artsy indie games.

Yeah July GWG is overall weak but thankfully Battle Block Theater saves it.

For July releases are we still only looking at Gucamelee and Sniper Elite? Is there any other indie games out this month? Bueller? Bueller?

Well at least looking forward to D3 Ultimate Evil Edition next month after that $40 for $60 deal in XB currency.

Yeah July GWG is overall weak but thankfully Battle Block Theater saves it.

For July releases are we still only looking at Gucamelee and Sniper Elite? Is there any other indie games out this month? Bueller? Bueller?

Well at least looking forward to D3 Ultimate Evil Edition next month after that $40 for $60 deal in XB currency.
Magic the Gathering: Duels of the Planeswalkers 2015 comes out on the 17th, I think. There will be several more downloadable games, but their release dates haven't been announced yet.

That's too bad. I haven't played Guacamelee long enough to have a fully informed opinion yet. But it appears to have a very solid and traditional gameplay foundation. The premise, characters, and writing are the "indie" parts, but it's not like some undercooked indie game concept like Entwined for Playstation 4.

Not everybody can like every kind of game though, and that's totally fine.
Agreed. It seems like a solid game with a traditional foundation for sure. It seems well made.

One of the last labels I'd ever use for Guacamelee is "artsy" since it's art style isn't prioritized above everything else like most artsy indie games.

I disagree here. It's definitely artsy with the visuals, IMO. Like EastX said, there is a good game underneath the visuals,so I don't think it's "fashion over form" so that's good. Just not for me.

For July releases are we still only looking at Gucamelee and Sniper Elite? Is there any other indie games out this month? .
Pier Solar HD is supposed to be out soon.

Anyone else had this problem? Bought a new system and hooked it up Sunday. Everything connected fined and worked flawless. Went to turn the system on Monday and it wouldnt sign me in or connect to Live. I went in to check the connection and it said there may be a problem with the systems wireless hardware and to reset the wireless. Reset it in the system and it connected fine. Turned the system off and on and everything was good. Happened again Tuesday and today. After resetting the wireless it works fine until the next day.

Is it happening only after hard reboots (full power downs, not going into standby mode)?  If so, it might have to do with the dashboard update.  There was an issue with it resetting internet settings incorrectly.  This should've been resolved on 6/22 though.

Check to make sure your console is updated to the latest dashboard version via Settings => System.

winning.gif

:D

http://xbox.uservoice.com/forums/251651-smartglass/suggestions/6084413-shortcuts-for-commands-features to vote on this feature.

I'm pretty damn psyched that a staff member thought it was a good enough idea to forward to the devs.  Woo woo!

Is it happening only after hard reboots (full power downs, not going into standby mode)? If so, it might have to do with the dashboard update. There was an issue with it resetting internet settings incorrectly. This should've been resolved on 6/22 though.

Check to make sure your console is updated to the latest dashboard version via Settings => System.
Yeah its completely up to date. Like I said it only does it overnight sometime. I dunno if it is our crappy router or what. I wouldnt think it would say there is an issue with the hardware wireless if it was the router though.

why would you buy it if it's free
Because it's not free, just as anything in PS+ is not free. It's all extended rentals and I want access to it if I take a break from Gold or have some internet issue that has a game tell me I can not access it. Also I like the game and want the devs to have some money. Same reason I pay more than a dollar on humble bundles.

I disagree here. It's definitely artsy with the visuals, IMO. Like EastX said, there is a good game underneath the visuals,so I don't think it's "fashion over form" so that's good. Just not for me.
I'll have to disagree. It's main focus are the mechanics (combat, platforming, exploration) and not the visuals.

bread's done
Back