XBOX360 Price Drops for all versions - $449/$349/$279 - Premiums Now Sporting HDMI

DX

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
Official Press Release:

...Family of Consoles
Xbox 360 will enhance the value of its entire family of consoles beginning on August 8. At a new price of $349.99, Xbox 360 offers an unsurpassed experience right out of the box with a 20 GB hard drive, Wireless Controller, Xbox 360 Headset, and more.

If you're looking for the ultimate value and the freedom to customize your console as you see fit, Xbox 360 Core System now has an estimated retail price of $279.99. Xbox 360 Core System provides everything you need to hit the ground running, while giving you the ability to expand with new features and accessories you want.

Dressed in black and equipped with a 120GB hard drive, Xbox 360 Elite will be priced at $449.99 if you want the premium games and entertainment experience.

In anticipation of this year's largest blockbuster game launch, the Xbox 360 Halo 3 Special Edition Console will hit store shelves in September with a price of $399.99. Featuring an authentic Spartan green-and-gold finish, this console includes a matching Xbox 360 Wireless Controller, 20GB hard drive, Xbox 360 Headset, 360 Play & Charge Kit, and more.
Full Press Release: http://www.xbox.com/en-US/community/news/2007/0806-consoleprice.htm
LinkinPrime Edit

Circuit City confirms price drop on all 3 versions:

ccproof.jpg

Elite - $449.99
Premium - $349.99
Core - $279.99
http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2007/07/31/circuit-city-ad-confirms-360-price-drop-on-all-models/

Wal Mart ad
rollbackyo2.jpg

CheapyD Edit: It appears this image originated from Sith Ninja at Modojo

Not "huge" but $50 is $50.

Thanks to Ugamer X for the picture:

Toys R Us Ad

via ugamer and zoo

[quote name='JaTaN']Looks like a good time for MS to drop its pricing before PS3 sales start to pickup[/QUOTE]

Considering they are still outselling PS3 by a wide margin, their not worried. If they were, this would have been done at E3 before Sony announced it.

Something's fishy about the TRU ad. Specifically, the big CHEAPASSGAMER mark across it...

I think that ad has been photoshopped

[quote name='alienaub']Something's fishy about the TRU ad. Specifically, the big CHEAPASSGAMER mark across it...

I think that ad has been photoshopped[/quote]

they only put the Cheapassgamer mark on it so no one would steal it

[quote name='alienaub']Something's fishy about the TRU ad. Specifically, the big CHEAPASSGAMER mark across it...

I think that ad has been photoshopped[/QUOTE]
Shaddup.

Yep, with this drop I'll finally grab a 360. Figured I'd get one around Bioshock's release anyway, so this is really good news.

[quote name='AshesofWake']yeah it's necessary. makes the thread 100x more badass[/quote]

lol the thread already attracts enough attention as it is, its a pretty anticipated price drop, i was going to get a 360 myself but i got a ps3 instead.

It's worth $350 in my opinion, but that's about what I paid for mine. Obviously the hardware failure is a great concern, but the games are top knotch.

Pretty mediocre price drop, but it's something I guess. If I didn't have a 360 by now, this wouldn't entice me to pick one up at all. After waiting this long, I'd wait until the new models come out that hopefully won't have a ~33% failure rate.

On the other hand, if you *really* want to play the good 360 games coming out this year (Mass Effect, Halo 3, etc.) this is nice news, since I'm not quite sure when the new 360 model is coming out.

[quote name='JaTaN']Looks like a good time for MS to drop its pricing before PS3 sales start to pickup[/QUOTE]
I could settle on a career, get married, and raise a family before PS3 sales start to pick up. Sony and I should both get on that.

[quote name='KingBroly']If you're thinking the 360 will sell the same amount of units as the PS2, I think you're smoking something.[/QUOTE]

Where did I infer that?

Everyone holds up the almighty PS2 numbers but when you point out the 360 is selling better than it was at this point in its life cycle, at a $200 premium and despite the major malfunctions, people, i.e. Sony's defense wagon get defensive. What's up with that? I was not inferring anything about long term sales, just at this moment in time in their respective life cycles, the 360 is doing better. Nothing more.

The $50 price cut is a good start, but not a great one.

I really would have dropped the core system complete, created a new premium w/HDMI for $300 and the Elite to $400. End of the year, bring out the hammer and put a new 360 at $500 with built in wireless, HD-DVD / Blu-Ray and a copy of a Crackdown or something. That's all a fantasy though, it would be a huge shift in resources to get that done :)

[quote name='Corvin']Where did I infer that?

Everyone holds up the almighty PS2 numbers but when you point out the 360 is selling better than it was at this point in its life cycle, at a $200 premium and despite the major malfunctions, people, i.e. Sony's defense wagon get defensive.[/QUOTE]

i would just check your data, homeboy. ps2 2 years into its lifespan was far beyond where 360 is. even if we did some simple maths:

ps2

120 million units / 7 years = 17mil units a year averaged.

here are some numbers from the first site listed in my google search:

http://www.infosatellite.com/news/2002/07/a120702ps2.html

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...mXO&q="playstation+2"+sales++2002&btnG=Search

Is it just me, or does joystiq take cheap shots at this site all the time. If they aren't linking to someone else who has copied a CAG scoop, just to get around linking to CAG, they're comments section goes all afuckingflame about "Oh obviously, fake...Meh, No dollar sign on the photoshoped add." Memo to Joystiq: Regular CAG posters don't waste time on bullshit.
Did anyone else read a bit into it that there was a subtle jab at speedy? They fucking criticise the quality of the first picture posted, now they won't link to the new pic with the watermark. Or they're just lazy.

[quote name='NWgamer666']Is it just me, or does joystiq take cheap shots at this site all the time. If they aren't linking to someone else who has copied a CAG scoop, just to get around linking to CAG, they're comments section goes all afuckingflame about "Oh obviously, fake...Meh, No dollar sign on the photoshoped add." Memo to Joystiq: Regular CAG posters don't waste time on bullshit.
Did anyone else read a bit into it that there was a subtle jab at speedy? They fucking criticise the quality of the first picture posted, now they won't link to the new pic with the watermark. Or they're just lazy.[/QUOTE]

Who cares, CAG rules over all. This virtual community sometimes has stupidity flying around (just like all online & real communities), but by far, the most educated, thoughtful, clear-thinking and respectful people across all of the online forums I frequent reside here. :)

I don't think Cheapy really cares if sites take jabs at his site, he knows this is the best place to be.

Crap, my gf got me an Xbox 360 for our 1 year anniversary today from Toys R Us which came with a $50 giftcard. I wonder if I could somehow price match it when the price drop happens and keep the giftcard.

[quote name='oNeWiNgEdAnGeL']Crap, my gf got me an Xbox 360 for our 1 year anniversary today from Toys R Us which came with a $50 giftcard. I wonder if I could somehow price match it when the price drop happens and keep the giftcard.[/QUOTE]

that's a heck of a one year gift imho

I know it has been brought up before but how sure are we that this price drop includes ALL of the Xbox 360 models. I want the elite yet if the price drop only affects the Pro, then that one will be the one to get for me.

Onewing: I can't imagine that they wouldn't give it to you unless they have the same policy as Walmart's: Being that they will only refund the price difference a week from purchase (This really annoys me).

nah, i don't believe much in these stores ad because there will probably be a limit of consoles sold in each stores so chances are slim. they want your ass (trick you ) inside there stores for purchasing other items. plus don't forget you have pay tax on this electronic item. some states don't require tax on store items. plus it probably going to broken in weeks or months.

If I bought a premium at TRU last Sunday, will they price match and give me back the difference last week since I'm still within the return period? (although if not it's a wash, they were giving a $50 gift certificate)

Well I wonder if they will because the 50 dollar gift certificate stops yesterday. Starting today the gift certificate stops though the price cut is coming soon.. if they want they can prob claim that the 50 gift certificate counts.. but who knows.. maybe not.

Has it been confirmed that this price break applies to all 360's.. or just the Premium?? I keep seeing flip flopping on the subject...

So the core is now the same price as the Wii, without the hard drive. Eh, decent. But would have been perfect if it came with even the smallest memory card to combat the Wii.

[quote name='magiic']I wonder if this will mean a $75-$100 drop in Canada.[/quote]

At the current exchange rate it better be a $125 drop, we've been paying way too much for the 360 for almost a year now. MS needs to reflect the strength of the Canadian dollar in their pricing just as Sony has. If the US is going to $350 we should be around $375CDN, even then they will be making more profit off us us.

[quote name='magiic']I wonder if this will mean a $75-$100 drop in Canada.[/QUOTE]

Not with the US dollar being almost at par with the Loony.

[quote name='NWgamer666']Is it just me, or does joystiq take cheap shots at this site all the time. If they aren't linking to someone else who has copied a CAG scoop, just to get around linking to CAG, they're comments section goes all afuckingflame about "Oh obviously, fake...Meh, No dollar sign on the photoshoped add." Memo to Joystiq: Regular CAG posters don't waste time on bullshit.
Did anyone else read a bit into it that there was a subtle jab at speedy? They fucking criticise the quality of the first picture posted, now they won't link to the new pic with the watermark. Or they're just lazy.[/quote]

Well if you don't like it, don't patron their site. Kinda like voting with your wallet in a way I suppose. And yeah that does seem a bit sloppy, but what can you do?

If the prices of all units are dropped, and assuming the Elite becomes $400, and the Core $250, if the price of the 120gb HDD does not drop, this price drop is a fraud. Why? Because it means the 120gb HDD is no longer a viable option.

not sure if anyone post it, it seem like the first-tier drop for now (just like ps3) they will probably drop another $50 after Halo 3, maybe b4 the holiday season... ps3 will go down another 100 then 360 will go down another 50..

[quote name='KingBroly']If the prices of all units are dropped, and assuming the Elite becomes $400, and the Core $250, if the price of the 120gb HDD does not drop, this price drop is a fraud. Why? Because it means the 120gb HDD is no longer a viable option.[/quote]

Uh....um...What? Paying $180 was never an option.

well 250(core)+180=430 and if the elite costs 400, then there would be no point in buying the harddrive and a core, you'd just buyt he elite.

We're all assuming this is a price drop from MS, but what if it's just to gauge market reaction? MS calls a few retailers, tells them to start selling it for $50 for a little bit, and any consoles they sell MS will comp them. I'm sure we'll know more when the BB and CC ads come out in a few days, but it's just an idea.

[quote name='BoggyP']well 250(core)+180=430 and if the elite costs 400, then there would be no point in buying the harddrive and a core, you'd just buyt he elite.[/quote]

Thank you.

And by that, they'd cannibalize their oh so lovely accessories sales. Which they seem to love by the way.

bread's done
Back