XBOX360 Price Drops for all versions - $449/$349/$279 - Premiums Now Sporting HDMI

DX

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
Official Press Release:

...Family of Consoles
Xbox 360 will enhance the value of its entire family of consoles beginning on August 8. At a new price of $349.99, Xbox 360 offers an unsurpassed experience right out of the box with a 20 GB hard drive, Wireless Controller, Xbox 360 Headset, and more.

If you're looking for the ultimate value and the freedom to customize your console as you see fit, Xbox 360 Core System now has an estimated retail price of $279.99. Xbox 360 Core System provides everything you need to hit the ground running, while giving you the ability to expand with new features and accessories you want.

Dressed in black and equipped with a 120GB hard drive, Xbox 360 Elite will be priced at $449.99 if you want the premium games and entertainment experience.

In anticipation of this year's largest blockbuster game launch, the Xbox 360 Halo 3 Special Edition Console will hit store shelves in September with a price of $399.99. Featuring an authentic Spartan green-and-gold finish, this console includes a matching Xbox 360 Wireless Controller, 20GB hard drive, Xbox 360 Headset, 360 Play & Charge Kit, and more.
Full Press Release: http://www.xbox.com/en-US/community/news/2007/0806-consoleprice.htm
LinkinPrime Edit

Circuit City confirms price drop on all 3 versions:

ccproof.jpg

Elite - $449.99
Premium - $349.99
Core - $279.99
http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2007/07/31/circuit-city-ad-confirms-360-price-drop-on-all-models/

Wal Mart ad
rollbackyo2.jpg

CheapyD Edit: It appears this image originated from Sith Ninja at Modojo

Not "huge" but $50 is $50.

Thanks to Ugamer X for the picture:

Toys R Us Ad

via ugamer and zoo

[quote name='MC Hampster']One problem: You don't get the +10% when you price adjust against CC itself. Only when you're price matching competitors.[/QUOTE]

Well then I'm pretty much out of luck since it's a universal price drop. Even if I were to take in another store's ad, I'm pretty sure they'd just want to PM themselves. Whatever, $5 isn't a big deal.

[quote name='oNeWiNgEdAnGeL']My gf and I got it from TRU. We're returning it and then getting it from Circuit City on Thursday. On Thursday, I will open and play the system. When the weekend of Augusth 12th comes, I'll PM the price and get the free game.

I called to verify that I would get the game since there policy says that they don't do that with PM. However, when I asked for her name, her tone of voice made it seem like she was lying.[/quote]

If they refuse to give you the free game and if you have a credit card with enough credit left over you can always rebuy and return the new one with the old receipt ;)

[quote name='xplode427']viva pinata and lego star wars are good games. plus, can't you price-match after?[/quote]

Price match don't apply on bundles and free games offers...

[quote name='LinkinPrime']If they refuse to give you the free game and if you have a credit card with enough credit left over you can always rebuy and return the new one with the old receipt ;)[/QUOTE]
The receipts usually have serial numbers on them.

Wow, $30 price cut on the Elite! Just what I've been waiting for! :roll: ... A $400 elite would have started to tempt me. Anything over $400 I'm not touching. This move just hurts microsoft because it's not enough of a cut to attract new customers, it's just helping the people who were going to buy a 360 soon anyway (probably for Halo 3.) $50 might turn a couple heads, but on the elite and $20 on the core is a joke. Push $400 elites and $300 premiums and drop the core

[quote name='Deathmonkey']I think what he wants is a wireless bridge/ wireless access point.

http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=335&name=Wireless-AP-Bridges

Plenty there under $100, do a little research to make sure it works with the xbox.

I think D-Link made the "official" wireless bridge for the original xbox.[/QUOTE]

I tried that D-Link 3420 wireless bridge with my Xbox 360 and it worked like sh!t even though it was paired with a D-Link DI-634M router. My MN-740 wireless bridge worked great but it didn't support WPA, so I had to break down and spend the $100 for the Xbox 360 Wireless Networking Adapter.

For someone like me that doesn't want to run an ethernet cable to their console, having to fork out another $100 for the wireless capabilities which the Wii, PS3 (60 GB Version), DS, and PSP all include as a standard feature is a kick in the balls. I love my Xbox 360 (due primarly to the games), but when I compare it to my PS3 which included Wireless, Blu-Ray, HDMI, and a bigger HD as standard equipment, the Xbox 360 Premium at $349 really doesn't stack up as a great value when you factor in the total cost.

[quote name='MC Hampster']One problem: You don't get the +10% when you price adjust against CC itself. Only when you're price matching competitors.[/QUOTE]

Yeah you do, its on the back of their ad. It says even their own prices. But everytime it happens I don't get the 10% and I have to point it out to the cashier that it cleary states it in the paper and on the giant sign behind their head. They then do some talking amongst each other and agree to do it.

Seems to happen everytime without fail. I don't understand how they do not know their own price match policy.

Only a $20 price drop on the Core? Wow, they sure aren't being generous there, in fact now the Core is MORE expensive than the Premium when you factor in the $100 harddrive. I can understand not dropping the Elite more, but the Core has been on the market for almost 2 years now.

As it is, you would've been much better off getting in on that sale at Circuit City where you get an extra controller and game with any 360 system rather than having waited for this price drop.

Yep exactly Ranger Rick. This cut on the premium isn't making me buy it on impulse. I've been waiting for this cut and I'll definitely be going out on the 12th to pick up my 360...FINALLY!

I've seen a couple people ask why people are bitching about the "generous" price cuts, and I'd just like to explain why people are a little pissed.

1.) MS has all but admitted that the system has the reliability of the unholy spawn of a Pinto and a modern VW. New systems are on the way, but only when the current retail stock piles are depleted.

2.) Inconsistent price reduction. Why does the Core only get dropped $20? Will the 20GB hard drive still cost $100? etc.

3.) There is a significant amount of rumor-mongering that some time after Halo 3 is shipped and Falcon has landed there will be another round of price cuts ... so you can buy the shit system, enjoy Halo 3 when it comes out and miss the chance for a cheaper system by a month(ish); Or you wait and hope it isn't a bunch of rumors.

Not to mention the system has been out for almost 2 years, and the PS3 which has been out for less than 1 year received a $100 price cut (to its higher-end model, at least). This actually makes me reconsider getting a used 20GB PS3 for $370, since the price difference between it and an Xbox 360 is so minor anyway.

What WOULD have been nice is if they included a 64mb memory card or something with the Core. At least then it would actually be a viable option if you just wanted to play the games and didn't have an interest in getting any marketplace content. As it is, it seems like they'd be better off phasing it out (which is rumored to be the case).

[quote name='Edge']Not to mention the system has been out for almost 2 years, and the PS3 which has been out for less than 1 year received a $100 price cut (to its higher-end model, at least). This actually makes me reconsider getting a used 20GB PS3 for $370, since the price difference between it and an Xbox 360 is so minor anyway.

What WOULD have been nice is if they included a 64mb memory card or something with the Core. At least then it would actually be a viable option if you just wanted to play the games and didn't have an interest in getting any marketplace content. As it is, it seems like they'd be better off phasing it out (which is rumored to be the case).[/QUOTE]
The 360 is selling fine, it didn't need a quick, drastic price drop like the PS3.

I'm just going to keep waiting...hopefully when the new model 360 elite with the new chip is out the price will drop further, since I believe I heard M$ was going to be saving money on making them with the new chip.

I just bought my new Elite this past Monday, if I went into Best Buy with this price drop would I get some money back for the price drop? Don't I have like 30 days guaranteed or something?

[quote name='mick16']I tried that D-Link 3420 wireless bridge with my Xbox 360 and it worked like sh!t even though it was paired with a D-Link DI-634M router. My MN-740 wireless bridge worked great but it didn't support WPA, so I had to break down and spend the $100 for the Xbox 360 Wireless Networking Adapter.

For someone like me that doesn't want to run an ethernet cable to their console, having to fork out another $100 for the wireless capabilities which the Wii, PS3 (60 GB Version), DS, and PSP all include as a standard feature is a kick in the balls. I love my Xbox 360 (due primarly to the games), but when I compare it to my PS3 which included Wireless, Blu-Ray, HDMI, and a bigger HD as standard equipment, the Xbox 360 Premium at $349 really doesn't stack up as a great value when you factor in the total cost.[/quote]

You should have used the Linksys gaming bridge. Mine works fine!

[quote name='pinoy530']Yeah you do, its on the back of their ad. It says even their own prices. But everytime it happens I don't get the 10% and I have to point it out to the cashier that it cleary states it in the paper and on the giant sign behind their head. They then do some talking amongst each other and agree to do it.

Seems to happen everytime without fail. I don't understand how they do not know their own price match policy.[/quote]

While I don't have their ad in front of me right now, their website says they only match 100% of the price difference when matching themselves. They match 110% against competitors.

[quote name='MC Hampster']While I don't have their ad in front of me right now, their website says they only match 100% of the price difference when matching themselves. They match 110% against competitors.[/QUOTE]

Definitely only 100% when matching themselves. A TV I bought in June for $1099 went down to $999 a couple weeks later, and they only gave back $100.

110% is on Price MATCHES. They call meeting their own, new price a Price ADJUSTMENT. Fine print is a bitch.

Isn't that sort of implying there's NOT a reduced price?

Or is Best Buy going to try to charge $50 for a tennis game? :D

i bought my elite 2 days ago at walmart. if/when the price does drop in the near future, will they give me the difference if i go back with my receipt? i wouldnt mind to get a free game with purchase of my elite

[quote name='RESmonkey']Are these the 65nm chipped ones?[/QUOTE]

No. Just whatever is in stores now.

No info relased on when teh 65nm chips will start rolling out, or how (i.e. in a new box, just snuck in etc.)

Btw Fye has the 360 for 369.99 rign now being they've a 30 rebate on them, so when this deal goes in effect I think they will have it for 349.99 and a 30.00 rebate which means you'll get the premium system for 310.00 which sounds like a good.

[quote name='Bazz']Btw Fye has the 360 for 369.99 rign now being they've a 30 rebate on them, so when this deal goes in effect I think they will have it for 349.99 and a 30.00 rebate which means you'll get the premium system for 310.00 which sounds like a good.[/quote]

that is a good deal, but im not so fond of faulty hardware..

any word on if they'll pm the free table tennis?

[quote name='dmaul1114']No. Just whatever is in stores now.

No info relased on when teh 65nm chips will start rolling out, or how (i.e. in a new box, just snuck in etc.)[/QUOTE]

Yeah, MS has been quite mum on any specifics of when the new chipsets will show up in inventory. I wonder if there will even be an official annoucement when it happens.

Probably not. I don't think companies ever have before except for major external hardware changes (like the new Playstation 2 or 1, or DS Lite, that sort of thing).

good call, they didn't want to make a big deal about that... it was just sort of slipped in under the radar when the micros released with that sick ass screen.

question: i tried to search for the thread, because i remember seeing one, but the search doesn't seem to be working atm. anyhow, do we have an inkling of the price point on the Halo 3 edition 360? I know it's supposed to have a 20 gig, but also hdmi, right? any help would be appreciated... after seeing halo 3 is going to have 4 player co-op, i'm in a mad rush to get a 360... and i want the most 360 for my $

[quote name='varsitygamer']good call, they didn't want to make a big deal about that... it was just sort of slipped in under the radar when the micros released with that sick ass screen.

question: i tried to search for the thread, because i remember seeing one, but the search doesn't seem to be working atm. anyhow, do we have an inkling of the price point on the Halo 3 edition 360? I know it's supposed to have a 20 gig, but also hdmi, right? any help would be appreciated... after seeing halo 3 is going to have 4 player co-op, i'm in a mad rush to get a 360... and i want the most 360 for my $[/quote]

I've been waiting since E3 for a price announcement...so far nothing yet.

Yeah, I don't really get why so many people are anticipating some major announcement to coincide with the Falcon revision. What kind of sticker are they going to slap on the front? ("WE FIXED IT!") Granted, as they rotate onto shelves it will probably be picked up on the internets, but barring some kind of cosmetic or feature revision you won't be able to tell. I know there's speculation they'll add HDMI to the Falcon Premiums, and that's possible, but A) it seems awkward to release yet another feature change so soon after the Elite, and B) it's still not something that would feature prominently on the box.

I'm buying a Premium as soon as the price drops to play Bioshock. I'll either pony up for an in-store replacement plan, or just live with a possible 4-6 week turnaround. Either way, if it happens to ever crap out, it will obviously be replaced by the Falcon revision.

Like you said, there will probably word on the net that they are out, how to identify them etc.

But I agree, if someone thinks $350 is a good price, doesn't mind the red ring risk, and is dying to play games like Bioshock and Halo 3, then they should by all means buy one as soon as it drops.

As I've said, for me $350 is really still just too much for a console period, and I'm not dying to own a 360 anyway, it just falls in the "I'd like to have one" category, so I don't mind waiting until early next year even if I have to, so I can get a Falcon for $300 or less.

Just remembered something. Toys R' US sometimes has FREE $100 or $50 dollar GCs if you get a 360. Wonder if we'll see one of those...

[quote name='RESmonkey']Just remembered something. Toys R' US sometimes has FREE $100 or $50 dollar GCs if you get a 360. Wonder if we'll see one of those...[/quote] I work at toys r us. They did one of those last week. So it'll prolly be a while before they do another one

[quote name='RESmonkey']Just remembered something. Toys R' US sometimes has FREE $100 or $50 dollar GCs if you get a 360. Wonder if we'll see one of those...[/QUOTE]

That's why it's kind of a bad time to buy, you know there will be more deals like that, giving away of good games with purchase etc. as the holiday's get closer.

So better deals can be had for those who can wait, and MAYBE the falcon will be out by then as well with the possibility of another $50 drop as rumored by CheapyD earlier in the thread.

my favorite part about this whole debacle is that microsoft (seemingly deliberately) left their cheapest model $30 more expensive than Nintendo's system... leaving the Wii as a logical choice. A $250 Core would have tempted the shit out of me (and many others, I'm sure) and made Nintendo have to reevaluate their price point (which might have been bad for microsoft, and possibly the logic behind leaving them space?).

[quote name='varsitygamer']my favorite part about this whole debacle is that microsoft (seemingly deliberately) left their cheapest model $30 more expensive than Nintendo's system... leaving the Wii as a logical choice. A $250 Core would have tempted the shit out of me (and many others, I'm sure) and made Nintendo have to reevaluate their price point (which might have been bad for microsoft, and possibly the logic behind leaving them space?).[/QUOTE]

even with the core at $250, the wii is still the clear choice, imo. you're going to buy an HDD eventually and with MS' ass-tastic pricing on 360 HDDs, it kills the deal. I don't think nintendo would squirm at all--people are buying the wii for what it is, not because it's a cheap game system.

[quote name='1_Chocobo']yeah, anyone remember when they made the GBA SP screen brighter? I don't ever recall hearing that...[/quote]

They actually did advertise this on the box. They did not have any marketing to spread the news, however if you saw a selection in the store you would certainly pick the one that was advertising the brighter screen

[quote name='spuffin']They actually did advertise this on the box. They did not have any marketing to spread the news, however if you saw a selection in the store you would certainly pick the one that was advertising the brighter screen[/QUOTE]

Yep, had a sticker/label on the box advertising the new, brighter screen.

[quote name='varsitygamer']my favorite part about this whole debacle is that microsoft (seemingly deliberately) left their cheapest model $30 more expensive than Nintendo's system... leaving the Wii as a logical choice. A $250 Core would have tempted the shit out of me (and many others, I'm sure) and made Nintendo have to reevaluate their price point (which might have been bad for microsoft, and possibly the logic behind leaving them space?).[/QUOTE]

The Wii is so hot right now that pricing the Core at $250 would be a huge risk for public perception. If they sell it at the same price as the Wii consumers might assume there's no difference in their capabilities, except for the Wii's superfun happy awesome controller.

The Core at $280 is supposed to look like a great deal--a much more powerful system for a small, er, premium over the direct competition. It's also something of a PR hedge because there's no way it's outselling the Wii right now at either price, and getting outsold at $250 would just be embarrassing.

Another point is how many Wii owner's would pick up a core at $250? I wouldn't as I need the component cables and Harddrive, but a $250 core might get some more people to go Wii60.

Otherwise, I agree that it won't help sales over the Wii for people buying one or the other.

Games determine that. Someone wanting a Wii for the controller, Wii Sports, Nintendo franchises etc. isn't going to change their mind and go for the 360 if it was $250 as well. Likewise, people wanting to play games like Bioshock and Halo 3 aren't going to buy the Wii instead of the 360 just because it is $30 less than the core at $280.

They appeal to different types of gamers, and most casual gamers will just go with which ever floats their boat, while more hardcore will pick up both to satisfy all their gaming needs.

holy crap!

just got done watching attack of the show...and they featured the same pics posted from page 1 of this thread (of course no credit was given) and I just noticed that on gamespot they've got it too (but to their credit they gave credit...haha)

good job guys, and keep up the awesome work on the breaking info

[quote name='Foo228']holy crap!

just got done watching attack of the show...and they featured the same pics posted from page 1 of this thread (of course no credit was given) and I just noticed that on gamespot they've got it too (but to their credit they gave credit...haha)

good job guys, and keep up the awesome work on the breaking info[/quote]

Sure they gave credit... to Engadget.

I might've considered the core, but not at that price. My brother already has a HDD I could use but for a measley thirty dollar drop, I'll wait, I can always wait.

bread's done
Back