Yes, It Was An Aprils Fool Joke - No, You Aren't A Stolen Goods Trading Suspect

I wish that I would have picked up on the joke, but I ended up going to the store that I stole the stuff at and killed all the workers. If you receive a big "Beeping" package Cheapy, give it to someone you do not like, but not Wombat he is getting one too but I do not feel like warning him, to much work....

It would have been funny if I had actually believed it. Knowing it was April 1st and that I haven't done any type of transaction on here in a few months at least helped knowing it was a joke. It was funny seeing other people falling for it though...

[quote name='token2k6']yeah I truly gotta give props to master programmer John! Not only did this turn out to be hilarious, but it was a brilliant piece of coding..how you guys got it to only show our username to us in the article is beyond me (believe me, its not very far, i know nothing about web design) thanks again guys, definitely the best all day![/QUOTE]

Fairly simple, actually. It's no different than anything else that displays your username, it's one simple line of code.

Either way, it was a good one. I knew it while reading it, since I only buy things on here once in a blue moon from low-ball sales, but good either way. I'd say try to make next year's apply to everyone, since anyone who doesn't do that knew right off the bat. Still, enjoyed it, as usual, so kudos.

Well played, gentlemen. I was shocked for a few seconds, until I realized it was April 1st. I laughed my ass off, and I needed that. Thanks, Cheapy and Super Programmer John.

[quote name='xlaxparkax']Well played, gentlemen. I was shocked for a few seconds, until I realized it was April 1st.[/QUOTE]

Same here, except it took me around 30 seconds...

Good job for scaring the crap out of me, CheapyD and John. :applause:

you got me bigtime cheapyd. I wrote you a whole page about it. I was worried (not about the goods i had being stolen, but my reputation I try so hard to keep 100% positive).

Good one my man from japan!

Like I said on twitter, I was hoping I was being singled out for this prank just to get noticed and hopefully win something some time ;) lol... I guess in that way I was fooled.

I knew it was an April fool's joke, but for a moment there, I thought that maybe my ID was chosen and everyone was able to see it. But then I realized that everyone probably saw their own name. Pretty funny.

My girlfriend and I woke up late on the morning of April First (we are both on Easter vacation right now). Anyway, we were still in bed when I opened up my laptop and navigated to CAG. She had snuggled up on my side and was resting her head on my arm when the front page loaded up. I was definitely surprised to see my user name in the headlines and even more surprised/upset to see that I was being 'investigated' for trading stolen goods. I let out a quick, "what the fuck!?" which alarmed my girlfriend, directing her attention to the laptop screen. She saw my name and read through the story while my heart was pumping and mind was racing to piece everything together. It did not take long before my girlfriend was asking me if it was me that the article was referring to. I said yes, and then went on to explain how it was an April Fools joke and that because I was logged in, my user name was programmed to appear in that specific "name" field.

I was surely fooled, if only for a moment. Well done, Cheapy.

I was totally fooled and thought it had to be April Fool's joke when I logged in the morning. There have been too many recent instances of ID theft/account hijacking to totally discount it. It took a couple hours before I visited the site again and figured it out. I have had ID theft happen before and the prank left a sour taste in my mouth. It was done in the spirit of April Fool's so hey forget about it....I am in good company:)

I checked the website first thing when I woke up, and saw that...and thought I was still dreaming. About a minute after freaking out I realized it was April 1st. Definitely one of the best jokes ever.

Loved it! You guys definitely have your work cut out for you next year to top this one. Perhaps sending out fake price alerts to everyone who has them registered. Think about it, that'd be pretty funny.

[quote name='Gamer SDP']the thing that pisses me off is that cheapyd has over 300 pm space...[/QUOTE]

Bwahahaha! Good point. It was a good one indeed and props to everyone who had a hand in it. It was pure entertainment @ those who fell hook line and CAG hahaha. One of my all time favorite @ CAG and i am already looking forward to 2011. Bring your A game, i am ready this time lol

larry_platt_pants_on_the_ground.jpg

Well done Cheapy easily the funniest and most original joke this year, most of the other sites are getting tired and stale.

I came prepared for war...and expected guerrilla warfare

And what I saw was an easy kill

EPIC fail on date recognition on my part. I thought my account had been hacked or something. Good one :applause: but my wife got me better... she woke me up and told me we were going to be having a baby. Can't tell you how happy I was to remember the date on that one. :)

Really? I was surprised anyone would fall for something so, well, obvious. It wasn't a bad joke, but it wasn't all that original either.

The worst part is that, like many others apparently, it was immediately obvious because I've never traded anything or even visited the trading forums. It also seemed a bit unlikely that a story like that would show up on the main page.

I was fooled in front of my wife & we both got a good laugh out of this awesome prank. I tried to get to the comments alsoto no avail. It made my day, thanks.

I was freakin out for a solid like 5 minutes until I decided to shoot off an e-mail to that one posted then I calmed down and though it was pretty funny.

I think I got a Bugs bunny cartoon jaw the minute I saw my name in a blog entry (which was a big enough shock to my system that I didn't even think about it possibly being an April Fools joke). My first thought was something along the lines of, "Oh great, I've been hacked. I knew I should have gotten the full version of Avast." My second thought was "If I am such a douchebag why aren't I banned?" I actually closed the tab then started pacing around my room wondering what I could do to clear my name, so I loaded up the site again and figured I'd just post in the comments section and try and clear my name. But I couldn't post there, so I closed my tab again, went and poured myself a glass of water, then remembered the date.

But I'm a paranoid idiot so I spent the next ten minutes or so typing up a counter-reply calling CheapyD a douchebag and saying that he, in fact, "hoards hackers." I'm not even joking; I thought if some lanky dim-wit over the internet is going to take me down, I might as well turn around and take someone else down with me, i.e. the guy preaching my utter douchebaggery. That being said, here is said message in its entirety (funny enough, as soon as I finished typing it I saw a thread entitled "Good joke"):

[quote name='yarkitty123']First of all, let me start off by saying I have never - and I mean ever - done a trade on CAG. Let's get that straight. Second, that obviously means my account was hacked; there is bound to be another IP attached to my account, go ahead and check. Also, kind of odd how "I" am such a total douchebag and yet I am still not banned? Hoarding teh hackzors, eh CheapyD? You are such an idiot. You don't care about anyone's safety. I will hazard a guess that you aren't even that bald guy in that logo, but rather, a Bam Margera look-alike in a turban. Grind any male-rails lately, CheapySkate?

Now go ahead and investigate FOR REAL this time, note the other IP, and don't forget to compare said douchebag's trade communications with my writing. I'm sure they are entirely different. In summation: CheapyD loves hackers and he also wears a turban. Peanut butter CheapyD is an idiot jelly time.[/quote]

I have always liked the April 1st jokes here at CAG. So, yesterday morning, I came here specifically to see what it was. It still got me, if only for a second.

I didn't get caught up that I was a thief. It was just seeing my userid in the title of the lead story that got my heart racing. My first thought was that I won some mega-prize. Then I read the rest of the title and remembered April Fools.

This was the best april fool's joke I saw for a looong time.
Last one that even comes close was the egm re2 akuma thing...

Most others are easily distinguishable.

I pretty much hate the internet on April Fool's Day, but this article was classic. Clever and inventive. I took a screenshot of the page for posterity.

Well played!

bread's done
Back