Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

The Star Trek III (Back from the Dead) Thread

• Please log in to reply
1874 replies to this topic

#1351 shrike4242

shrike4242

Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:14 PM

So I have been watching a few episodes from S1 these past few days.... You know the grain isn't that bad when watching it from a distance on my 58 inch plasma. The disc 1 documentary is very impressive and I applaud the team's effort to make this happen. The show does have 16x9 footage but there is filmed studio stage equipment in it which makes sense.

The remastered effects look pretty good. There are some that scream CGI, but others are movie like. I have no doubt that this season will sell well.

Anyways hopefully with the success of this project, WB will consider going back and remaster Babylon 5 for HD. Now I did read somewhere that Babylon 5 was filmed in widscreen format and that HD was in mind during filming, but converted to SD for broadcast including making the graphics shots in SD. With most of the models lost, I am sure it should be too much of problem redoing all the models and animations for HD. So we might see a Babylon 5 HD release one day. Now that would be awesome.

Good to hear that it at least is worth the money if you've never bought it before and probably worth the money if you've bought it on DVD.

B5 in HD would kick all kinds of ass, if they do it correctly.

#1352 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

Missed out on the Great Walmart glitch of 11/6 due to FLAT TIRE

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:00 PM

Good to hear that it at least is worth the money if you've never bought it before and probably worth the money if you've bought it on DVD.

B5 in HD would kick all kinds of ass, if they do it correctly.

I am glad they showed footage of "up-conversion" tests and you can tell instantly that it would not be acceptable for HD. Explosions have more "boom" to them. ooooooooo Cause and Effect Enterprise booms :drool: can't wait.

To be fair.........the effort they put into it is worth more than the 60 bb is selling it for.. I will be honest and say it's worth 100 bucks or more by the amount of stuff they put into it.

Yes B5 would look great in remastered HD... the DVD's are dark :(

#1353 shrike4242

shrike4242

Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:43 PM

I am glad they showed footage of "up-conversion" tests and you can tell instantly that it would not be acceptable for HD. Explosions have more "boom" to them. ooooooooo Cause and Effect Enterprise booms :drool: can't wait.

To be fair.........the effort they put into it is worth more than the 60 bb is selling it for.. I will be honest and say it's worth 100 bucks or more by the amount of stuff they put into it.

Just because you think it's worth more than the $60 BB is selling it for doesn't mean I do. ;)

I bought the TOS sets for around $35 each and thought that was a great price for it. $60 for release week of TNG S1 when it retails for almost twice that could be a lot worse.

Me, I'm waiting for two $10 certs from Best Buy and once they get sent to me, I'll be off buying it.

#1354 davo1224

davo1224

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:45 PM

A lot of stuff on Battlestar Galactica interested me. I watched a few episodes and was instantly hooked and then instantly bored about 15 minutes later. The show would have done much better on Showtime, because it tried too hard to be an adult show. At the very least, they could have properly swore if the writers were so adamant about saying "frack" every ten seconds.

#1355 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 July 2012 - 03:18 AM

Just because you think it's worth more than the $60 BB is selling it for doesn't mean I do. ;)

I bought the TOS sets for around $35 each and thought that was a great price for it. $60 for release week of TNG S1 when it retails for almost twice that could be a lot worse.

Me, I'm waiting for two $10 certs from Best Buy and once they get sent to me, I'll be off buying it.

True cheap ass indeed Shrike....... hey it could have been worse.......paramount could have slapped a 200 dollar MSRP sticker on it. I was really scared that they would have priced it that high with it being "on sale" for 100-150.

oh...seems there are audio problems with the set :(

http://thedigitalbits.com/#072512a

#1356 TheCochese

TheCochese

I make things out of wood

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 July 2012 - 12:28 PM

$60 is a great deal...compared to what the DVD sets were previously. Compared to other TV shows though, not so much. I understand you do get more, and it took more work to do, but still.

I think I'll wait for the used market to show me pricing first. $60 is a quite nice woodworking tool, what I'm mainly into now.

#1357 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:52 PM

Oh my god I heard the audio problems on that 0010101 (whatever) episode. The intro looked amazing and I was like "WOW"...then the captains log started and I was like WHAT THE HELL IS UP WITH THE AUDIO??? god damn it. Anyways that episode and a few others are the one's that have the audio problems. The temp fix is putting it on ENGLISH audio instead of 7.1. Sucks though that this issue got passed the QA.

I am skipping around the season and on Arsenal of freedom... boy do those droid things look really toy like lol. Honestly I wouldn't have mind if that was redone in CG.

#1358 dafoomie

dafoomie

Posted 26 July 2012 - 09:21 PM

The problem is that they'd have to re-create every CGI shot from scratch, including the special effects mixed with live action. Probably too expensive to be profitable.

If the B5 movie got made I could see it happen as a tie in but its a huge undertaking.

#1359 davo1224

davo1224

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 July 2012 - 11:40 PM

Just finished Season 2 of DS9 last night. The introduction of the Dominion and Jem Hadar has me a little tingly.

#1360 dothog

dothog

n ur race snakin mai kart

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 July 2012 - 02:51 AM

The Jem Hadar are one of my favorite additions to the Trek canon. Their existence raises a lot of interesting issues, it made the conflict in DS9 feel more genuine rather than being a kind of sterile Borg/Federation TNG faceoff.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#1361 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:14 PM

I'm not that impressed with the blu ray of TNG. The lighting looks a lot better, and some effects look a bit better, but that's it. Take the saucer seperation in Encounter at Farpoint, still looks fake. It looks like a model standing still with a moving background. It still looks overall grainy as well. If I already had the DVDs I wouldn't buy this. As it is, I'll probably get them when they drop in price.
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. -George Carlin

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” -Mark Twain

“When a great genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign; that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." -Jonathon Swift

#1362 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 July 2012 - 03:07 PM

I'm not that impressed with the blu ray of TNG. The lighting looks a lot better, and some effects look a bit better, but that's it. Take the saucer seperation in Encounter at Farpoint, still looks fake. It looks like a model standing still with a moving background. It still looks overall grainy as well. If I already had the DVDs I wouldn't buy this. As it is, I'll probably get them when they drop in price.

Well to be fair, the the original versions had matte paintings for some of the ship scenes. That approach to starbase in 001010100(whatever) looked amazing in HD. The documentary on disc 1 shows the tweeks/enhancements they did to the original composites. The matte lines are gone! The enterprise and other ship shots have shadows and lighting to them where as the original shots everything was lit up to have no shadows. Planets look amazing as well. They are no longer fuzzy colored blobs. Clak...do yourself a favor and just go ahead and take a leap on this set. At 60 bucks, you are going to be very happy as a Trekkie and it's a taste of what is to come in future seasons. The new documentaries are fascinating and tells the story of how TNG was made possible. The docs are better than the original docs from the first DVD release. Heck they even have new interviews with Rick Berman, who fans blamed for the destruction of Star Trek.

The problem is that they'd have to re-create every CGI shot from scratch, including the special effects mixed with live action. Probably too expensive to be profitable.

If the B5 movie got made I could see it happen as a tie in but its a huge undertaking.

Maybe... it all depends if JMS can convince the studio that this is worth the money and time. They should atleast give him a chance to remaster the pilot, even though it's been remastered already. The station has already been rebuilt along with other models for the 2007 Lost Tales DTV movie. I do see this happening at some point.

I am looking forward to DS9 in HD. Voyager not so much. Enterprise on BR, should not be that much of a challenge since that show was mostly in HD.

#1363 TheCochese

TheCochese

I make things out of wood

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:32 PM

I find it odd that Birthright, part II is the only episode of TNG not available on Amazon Prime.

#1364 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 July 2012 - 08:35 PM

Noticing that some things look worse in HD. Like any time that the view screen is showing something in space, it doesn't look right at all. The actors in the comm and navigation stations really stand out against the green screening. They could have tweaked the lighting there.
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. -George Carlin

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” -Mark Twain

“When a great genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign; that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." -Jonathon Swift

#1365 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 July 2012 - 08:41 PM

Oh, and boy am I glad this didn't become the norm on the show...

Posted Image

:rofl:

#1366 dothog

dothog

n ur race snakin mai kart

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 July 2012 - 08:44 PM

Are you shitting me? They should've had a lot more male skirts. Worf in a one piece skirt? Vavavoom!

It's not my bag, but were I ever to cosplay, I'd go TNG Male Skirt without hesitation. First choice, no question. I'd rock that shit HARD.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#1367 dafoomie

dafoomie

Posted 27 July 2012 - 09:10 PM

Oh, and boy am I glad this didn't become the norm on the show...

Posted Image

:rofl:

1st 15 seconds

#1368 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 July 2012 - 09:28 PM

Something else, watch Data when Wesley falls in the water, the guy who runs after him isn't Brent Spiner.:lol:

edit-Nice recut lol.

edit 2 -You know, come to think of it, Wesley shouldn't have even been wet after that if it was fake water.

#1369 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:48 PM

Yeah, they mentioned that.... that stunt doubles would look like stunt doubles even more in HD.

#1370 Friend of Sonic

Friend of Sonic

Toneman.org coming soon..

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 July 2012 - 10:20 PM

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH hahahahah that recut was awesome. There's so many awesome ones out there too.

This one always gets me.

You hurt the right person and you're wrong for life.

#1371 davo1224

davo1224

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 July 2012 - 10:56 PM

This is hands down my favorite one

#1372 dafoomie

dafoomie

Posted 30 July 2012 - 12:21 AM

www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnWc4s6K9V8

The gazorra/andrewhussie edits are better than generalgrin's but they haven't made any in a couple years. The generalgrin ones have some nice arcs and consistency in story though, and they improve a lot after the 40th or 50th one (of almost 200!).

Edited by dafoomie, 30 July 2012 - 12:32 AM.

#1373 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 July 2012 - 04:14 AM

Some of those recuts are too funny.

#1374 Friend of Sonic

Friend of Sonic

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 July 2012 - 05:05 AM

This is hands down my favorite one

LOL! They put together a cohesive, funny, fucked up story. That was great.

Also, I liked this a lot. A little bit of it was too nitpicky for my tastes, but overall it's a good demonstration on how they stopped giving a shit about canon in the TNG movies. And it's only part 1 of 6, lulz.

Edited by Friend of Sonic, 30 July 2012 - 07:10 AM.

You hurt the right person and you're wrong for life.

#1375 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:40 AM

I never thought about most of that, especially about Troi kissing Riker, they made out all the time on the show, she's full of it.

#1376 RedvsBlue

RedvsBlue

Rocket Science Level

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 July 2012 - 02:04 PM

Wow the First Contact mistakes are the worst. The one about having 24 decks when they specifically mentioned more earlier in the same movie is particularly telling of their laziness. It seems like the Borg in general seem to cause continuity errors.

#1377 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 July 2012 - 02:57 PM

Well it was a time travel movie, continuity be damned I guess.

#1378 Friend of Sonic

Friend of Sonic

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 July 2012 - 06:43 PM

What got me is that scene where Picard is cumming his pants over the invaluable artifact. I've always remembered that, but never caught the artifact in Generations. "Oh, off to the other rubble where you belong!" Insane, they JUST got done making the TV series at that point too. Surely someone would have piped up and said "Uh, Picard shouldn't be dropkicking this"

#1379 Javery

Javery

Drug-Dealer-Keeper-Awayer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:23 PM

Those mistakes are hilarious.

--- Bella's Arcade --- Donkey Kong + ---

#1380 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 July 2012 - 10:13 PM

Damn, gold value in Star Trek is more volatile than in real life apparently.