Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

This is the Star Trek thread. Here's a nice red shirt for you.

• Please log in to reply
1870 replies to this topic

#1141 shrike4242

shrike4242

Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:13 PM

Sounds pretty cool. Do you have some pics of those staged areas you can post?

The "staged" pics were like you'd see on a amusement ride where they'd "catch" you in a specific moment. I wasn't in any of the pics, so don't have any to provide.

The TOS captain's chair certainly showed its age from back in the 60s, and they green-screened the backdrop of the TOS bridge behind it to take the pic. Looked interesting from the visual they showed as they were snapping pics. Wasn't worth the $20 per picture to take a memento of it.

The TNG bridge set covered Picard's chair, Riker's chair, Troi's chair, the two navigator/helmsman stations and a couple of the back stations, such as tactical. Another one you could get pics snapped for being there, and it was in better shape than the TOS captain's chair. Looked nice to see it in person.

The transporter pad looked like one from Enterprise, as it didn't look like the TOS or TNG sets, though could have been from Voyager or DS9. Was the best looking of the three set pieces you could be photographed in. Apparently they gave you an overlay for the picture if you had one taken that would make you "disappear" like you were using the transporter.

Was I glad I went to see it? Yes, for the price I paid for it (free), though if I paid full price for it, I wouldn't have been complaining too loudly. There was a nice mix of props and set pieces from TOS to 2009 Abrams' ST movie, even though it was all "look but don't touch" displays.

I agree with both of you. 100 dollars is way too much. Unless they really clean the image and redo all the effects, add commentaries to select episodes and so on...then I can't justify paying 100 dollars per season ..maybe season 4 and above as the video quality gets better.

I had no issues paying the $30-$40 for the TOS season sets, because they look great on BluRay. Sound is also great, and I might see going up to $50, though that would be a reach.

$80 for S1 of TNG? Not at all. Even if the episodes look pristine and great with cleaned up effects and great commentaries, it's still not worth $80. $30-$40, yes, I'd probably get it.

It would take a very in-depth review to get me thinking about picking it up close to launch, though again, $50 is about my break point for that.

I dunno guys, didn't the sampler disc have a MSRP of something like 23.95, and then Amazon had it much cheaper? If we go off of percentages, this set will be sub 100.

Then again this is the season. Maybe that won't apply here. I just hope that those special features listed aren't everything. It's a bit disappointing when you could jam so much love into this set.

The 3-episode teaser disc went down as cheap as $10 at one point on Amazon, if memory serves.

#1142 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

Missed out on the Great Walmart glitch of 11/6 due to FLAT TIRE

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 May 2012 - 09:41 PM

I had no issues paying the $30-$40 for the TOS season sets, because they look great on BluRay. Sound is also great, and I might see going up to $50, though that would be a reach.

$80 for S1 of TNG? Not at all. Even if the episodes look pristine and great with cleaned up effects and great commentaries, it's still not worth $80. $30-$40, yes, I'd probably get it.

It would take a very in-depth review to get me thinking about picking it up close to launch, though again, $50 is about my break point for that.

The 3-episode teaser disc went down as cheap as $10 at one point on Amazon, if memory serves.

Well to be honest, IF paramount did a really good job preserving them properly, and went thru hundreds of hours doing image clean up, redoing the effects (ala TOS HD), adding new commentaries from director's, writers, the Okawas (sp?) and effects crews on key episodes along with doing a overview of remastering each season feature, then YES it would be worth paying nearly 100 dollars...

Like I said, I might just wait for season 4 or even season 3 as the quality gets a lot better during season 3.

#1143 6er

6er

XBOX, GO HOME

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 June 2012 - 04:20 PM

Posted Image

That hat could put someone's eye out

#1144 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 02 June 2012 - 05:12 PM

#1145 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 June 2012 - 07:59 PM

uh we have a trek thread for this...and who cares about the uniforms ?!??!?!?

#1146 Friend of Sonic

Friend of Sonic

Toneman.org coming soon..

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 June 2012 - 07:06 AM

The hat they're wearing is actually a really clever reference to the original pilot of Star Trek. There was a hat that looks almost exactly like the ones they're wearing in XII in Captain Pike's quarters.
You hurt the right person and you're wrong for life.

#1147 Blade

Blade

Trying to have a member title that's longer than MDerrick

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 June 2012 - 07:09 AM

Unless it's these, I do not accept:

#1148 Bezerker

Bezerker

Bezerker Barrage!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 June 2012 - 10:15 AM

So wait, they're calling Star Trek 2, Star Trek 12?

538822.png

#1149 plasticbathmonki

plasticbathmonki

Powered by apathy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 June 2012 - 03:43 PM

Posted Image

#1150 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 June 2012 - 04:29 PM

That hat looks awful, cartoonish even. It's like they were going for the space Nazi look. the uniforms look like they were stolen from one of the original Star Wars films.
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. -George Carlin

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” -Mark Twain

“When a great genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign; that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." -Jonathon Swift

#1151 newtype06

newtype06

Coordinator

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:21 AM

Teaser trailer of the JJ Abrams sequel is now up:

Nothing much since this is a teaser after all, but I'm not gonna lie that it gave me some chills. Note: I was never into Star Trek until the 2009 movie, which I love to bits. You see -- I'm more of a 'Wars person than a Trekkie, and that's majority of the mainstream moviegoers if I'm not mistaken. Unless I'm sooo wrong, of course, and I just wanted to type that in order to fill in some space.

Edited by newtype06, 05 June 2012 - 08:35 AM.

#1152 keithp

keithp

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 June 2012 - 12:28 PM

The teaser did nothing for me. I wasn't a fan of the reboot though. I don't think it's necessarily a SW vs. ST thing.

#1153 CocheseUGA

CocheseUGA

Dominate!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 June 2012 - 01:05 PM

It's fan-made, but good.

#1154 shrike4242

shrike4242

Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 June 2012 - 09:52 PM

Would anyone want this home theater setup in their house?

http://www.escusa.co...t_evergreen.php

#1155 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 June 2012 - 10:48 PM

Would anyone want this home theater setup in their house?

http://www.escusa.co...t_evergreen.php

love it, but the LCARS display on the side will be too much of a distraction during the movie lol.

#1156 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 June 2012 - 04:06 PM

Damn that's crazy, wonder how much that all cost.
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. -George Carlin

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” -Mark Twain

“When a great genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign; that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." -Jonathon Swift

#1157 Javery

Javery

Drug-Dealer-Keeper-Awayer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 June 2012 - 04:36 PM

That teaser just screams Khan.

Is it just me or is Season 6 of TNG really really really awful? I'm about 13 or 14 episodes in and really only one or two have been enjoyable. They are leaning on thew holodeck way too much and pretty much nothing has happened. Even the two-parter ("there are four lights!") wasn't that great. I've never watched the series in order before even though I've seen every episode tons and tons of times and for the first time in this process I've hit a big-time lull.

--- Bella's Arcade --- Donkey Kong + ---

#1158 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:13 PM

I always found that episode to be pretty boring, even though the four lights line is basically Star Trek mythos.

#1159 dothog

dothog

n ur race snakin mai kart

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 June 2012 - 09:45 PM

Tom Riker validates the entire goddam season. Double the beard, double the fun.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#1160 CocheseUGA

CocheseUGA

Dominate!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 June 2012 - 10:48 AM

All of the later seasons run together for me. Currently I'm slogging through season two.

#1161 dothog

dothog

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 June 2012 - 02:47 PM

I've also been working through Season 2. I guess it's a slog in that Beverly's gone for a spell, but it's okay otherwise.

When it was broadcast, I remember thinking of "The Royale" as the episode that marked when I'd watch TNG every week without fail. Before then I'd catch every other episode, sometimes better than that but not usually.

Anyhow, because of that I'd always thought highly of that episode without knowing why. I just watched it a few days ago and, man, it's not especially good. I think I dug it so much during broadcast because of Data doing his Cool Daddy act at the craps table, which still holds up. Otherwise it's okay but not too fresh. Then again, so many of the things we think of as ST tropes come out of these episodes, so in that sense it's not exactly terrible.

It's still ripping off a TOS episode, though, right? I don't know the TOS stuff as well, but I remember seeing one that was *very* similar with gangsters and whatnot, and at the time I thought, Hey, Royale!
Posted ImagePosted Image

#1162 blandstalker

blandstalker

I am Irrelevant Bitching

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 June 2012 - 12:33 AM

It's still ripping off a TOS episode, though, right? I don't know the TOS stuff as well, but I remember seeing one that was *very* similar with gangsters and whatnot, and at the time I thought, Hey, Royale!

You're thinking of "A Piece of the Action", which is way more fun than "The Royale". I remember the latter when it aired. Some people really hated it. I was kind of "meh". It seemed lazy to me. I hate high concepts that involve aliens that seem both boring and stupid. "Hey, let's use our magic tech to re-enact this book for some pointless reason because why the hell not." Why would they care? Why should I care?

It's hard with some of these episodes because they came before they ran the Holodeck into the ground. (And yeah, "The Royale" isn't exactly holodeck, but it might as well be.) "The Royale" had so many problems because the payoff was so weak and the setting was just dull. I don't watch sci-fi so that I can see things that would bore me to tears in real life. You could subvert it or make it creepy or weird, but they played it straight.

As for Season 6, yeah -- not exactly a thrill ride there. I did like "Chain of Command", but mostly for the Picard bits. I also quite liked "Face of the Enemy" (Troi used well? Who knew?), "Frame of Mind", and "Tapestry". Those all would be on my favorites list.

The problem is the rest of the season is filled with clunkers, wastes of time, and ideas that seemed great but just lacked in the execution department. It's like they got their best ideas out already in earlier seasons and just didn't know where to go. I remember around this time looking forward to episodes that sounded like they had cant-miss concepts and then being somewhat let down that it wasn't half as awesome as it should have been.
Now playing: Some Game I Last Played Months Ago (DS), Ancient Game I Tried Once (PS3), Why Do I Never Update My Signature? (360), Backlog Assassins (iPad)

#1163 Friend of Sonic

Friend of Sonic

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 June 2012 - 12:56 AM

I actually really enjoy my watchings of The Royale, but I do agree some kind of subversion may have made it a classic episode. And I get wanting an explanation for why Alien of the Week wants to recreate a shitty book. Ah, well.

#1164 dothog

dothog

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 June 2012 - 09:56 PM

You're thinking of "A Piece of the Action", which is way more fun than "The Royale". I remember the latter when it aired. Some people really hated it. I was kind of "meh". It seemed lazy to me. I hate high concepts that involve aliens that seem both boring and stupid. "Hey, let's use our magic tech to re-enact this book for some pointless reason because why the hell not." Why would they care? Why should I care?

It's hard with some of these episodes because they came before they ran the Holodeck into the ground. (And yeah, "The Royale" isn't exactly holodeck, but it might as well be.) "The Royale" had so many problems because the payoff was so weak and the setting was just dull. I don't watch sci-fi so that I can see things that would bore me to tears in real life. You could subvert it or make it creepy or weird, but they played it straight.

Yeah, the "technically proficient yet inappropriately accommodating alien" trope is a headscratcher. They riffed on that a little with the kid in the cave. Episode escapes me. Anyhow, The Royale is one of those where you just try to make the best of an effective holodeck episode and enjoy Data having chicks blow on the rocks for luck.

As for Season 6, yeah -- not exactly a thrill ride there. I did like "Chain of Command", but mostly for the Picard bits. I also quite liked "Face of the Enemy" (Troi used well? Who knew?), "Frame of Mind", and "Tapestry". Those all would be on my favorites list.

The problem is the rest of the season is filled with clunkers, wastes of time, and ideas that seemed great but just lacked in the execution department. It's like they got their best ideas out already in earlier seasons and just didn't know where to go.

As for Season 6, I agree with the assessment of those episodes. But then I'm relatively easy to please, for some reason I give TNG a big pass when it comes to critical thinking. I also agree that they were tapped for ideas, and I think it comes out in just summarizing those episodes.

The entire season is really built around building "moments" for individual characters and less about creating grand space adventures or tense diplomatic scenarios for the crew. Look at the episodes you've raised: Riker winds up in another hospital; Cardassians/Q screw with JLP; Troi is a romulan (hubba hubba); Riker gets an evil twin.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#1165 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 June 2012 - 11:27 PM

Something just occurred to me while watching TNG on BBCA. Why is it that they can beam someone onto the ship without them standing on a transporter pad, but to get off the ship they must be in the transporter room standing on the pad? Actually they don't, plenty of times they beam straight off the ship from another room, so then what the hell is the point of the transporter room? They just wanted to give O'Brien something to do?:lol:

#1166 Friend of Sonic

Friend of Sonic

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 June 2012 - 02:38 AM

Something just occurred to me while watching TNG on BBCA. Why is it that they can beam someone onto the ship without them standing on a transporter pad, but to get off the ship they must be in the transporter room standing on the pad? Actually they don't, plenty of times they beam straight off the ship from another room, so then what the hell is the point of the transporter room? They just wanted to give O'Brien something to do?:lol:

I think this was reasonably explained, IMO. There was a couple mentions of how transporting from spot to spot in the ship was dangerous and not recommended because of the danger of potentially having the incorrect coordinates, or something. Anyway I bought it at the time

#1167 CocheseUGA

CocheseUGA

Dominate!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 June 2012 - 03:21 AM

Site to site was always done with the express impression that it was only done in emergencies. Not sure I ever caught the reason the first few times through, but that was the indication that I got.

S2 is turning out better than I remember. I still dislike Pulaski, but it's not horrible. 'Elementary, Dear Data' I thought was kinda weak by itself, if you didn't know what was going to come out of it. Anti-climactic.

#1168 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 June 2012 - 01:40 PM

http://en.memory-alp...-site_transport

#1169 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 June 2012 - 02:51 PM

That makes no sense. Even the normal transport is essentially two transports. The only difference with site to site is they aren't standing there on the platform.

#1170 CocheseUGA

CocheseUGA

Dominate!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 June 2012 - 03:36 PM

That makes no sense. Even the normal transport is essentially two transports. The only difference with site to site is they aren't standing there on the platform.

Another thing to point out is look when they transport off the ship somewhere, say down to the planet. They are almost never exactly where they want to be. Now that's also a plot device to get them walking somewhere, but it can fit here too.