Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

This is the Star Trek thread. Here's a nice red shirt for you.

• Please log in to reply
1870 replies to this topic

#1501 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:32 PM

Yeah it's painfully obvious now that the cube is fake in the TNG shot. The lack of internal lighting is one reason, no green glow.

#1502 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

Missed out on the Great Walmart glitch of 11/6 due to FLAT TIRE

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:43 PM

I dunno, was the first contact cube CG or model? I think I read somewhere that the entire battle scene was CG.

They better not Fuck up Yesterday's Enterprise or BOBW part 1 and 2.

#1503 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:49 PM

hmmm wait

from memory alpha

"nable to reuse the Borg cube built for the television series, created out of inexpensive pieces from model kits, a new cube had to be designed. Described by Eaves as "nonsensical", a distinctly new surface was designed, distinguished by interlocking shapes and angles, with a hidden hatchway for Eaves' Borg sphere. Intricate details of ILM's Borg cube model were achieved through the use of recycled paper clips.

As described by visual effects supervisor John Knoll, time allotted for post production visual effects and model building resulted in a "brutal effort". Not only did ILM's team have to construct the Enterprise-E, large models representing the Borg sphere, the new Borg cube, and the Phoenix were also required.

Even more so than the previous film, the First Contact visual effects team also utilized computer-generated imagery, lending itself to sequences that required large numbers of starships. To stand up to the Borg cube alongside the new Enterprise and the old Defiant, ILM art director Alex Jaeger designed sixteen new Starfleet vessels, four of them rendered digitally and appearing in the massive opening battle sequence. The new starships included Akira-class, Saber-class, Steamrunner-class, and Norway-class vessels; the latter starship was lost after production due to a computer glitch, never to appear in Star Trek again. Also included in the melee were a Nebula-class starship, a Miranda-class vessel, and an Oberth-class science ship in its final use. As a joke, the Millennium Falcon CG model (created for the Star Wars Special Editions) was inserted into the Borg attack, though generally indistinguishable.

#1504 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:40 PM

I'm not surprised it was a model, it was just a much better looking model. They continued using that general look on into Voyager, and I'm sure that doing it in CG wouldn't have been a problem. The Millennium Falcon things is funny though, I'll have to remember that.

#1505 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:16 PM

I remembered when I saw that cube on the big screen I was oh shit!

The sound effects in that battle weren't that great :( sadly.

#1506 blandstalker

blandstalker

I am Irrelevant Bitching

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 November 2012 - 07:10 PM

Now see this is why I prefer the First Contact cube vs the Q who one... now it really looks like a kit bash :(

It's a little unfair to compare those shots. The First Contact one is farther away from the camera, so the flaws and model nature are going to be obscured.

The Q-Who one is much closer to the camera. Of the SD/HD difference stills, the one with the explosion is, I think, the most impressive. The before picture is a blurry mess and the HD remaster shows detail and really hints at the scale of the cube.

It's also going to be moving, so that will help.
Now playing: Some Game I Last Played Months Ago (DS), Ancient Game I Tried Once (PS3), Why Do I Never Update My Signature? (360), Backlog Assassins (iPad)

#1507 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:16 PM

It's the lighting/color that makes it look horrible, it's a light grey color, whereas later it was either a darker grey or black. Just darkening it some would help, but I guess without the green glow it would be hard to see against a mostly black background.

#1508 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:06 PM

The first shot of the borg cube in First Contact got pretty close to see a good amount of detail. They could have tweaked the lighting of the cube.

#1509 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:18 PM

So I am watching this scene and I think back to the Sins of the father episode from the sampler disc. As noted the producers adjusted the perspective of the KoP to line up with the enterprise correctly. As you can see in QW the borg cube is in the wrong angle.

#1510 Tony Stark

Tony Stark

Keep Calm Chive On

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 November 2012 - 04:17 AM

http://www.newsarama...ax-preview.html

...your welcome

For a way to update your Android you may not know about check out this site: http://about.me/forceandroid

#1511 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:15 PM

http://www.newsarama...ax-preview.html

...your welcome

I already knew that.

I am most likely going to sneak into the hobbit , watch this scene and then walk out to see something else that I paid for. No interest in LOTR.

#1512 dafoomie

dafoomie

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:49 AM

Michael O'Hare (Commander Sinclair from B5) was a guest at some conference and they had him do one of those Universal Studio rides where you're on the Enterprise. Pretty hokey, but funny to see a real actor in one of these.

#1513 shrike4242

shrike4242

Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:46 PM

Anyone want a pair of freebies, assuming you'll pick up shipping on them?

I have a Star Fleet Technical Manual (http://www.amazon.co...ews/0345340744/) and Star Fleet Medical Reference Manual (http://www.amazon.co...l/dp/B0006WND8S) that I'd like to find a new home.

The Medical Reference Manual is in excellent shape, the Technical Manual is in fair-to-good shape.

It would be free, though if someone would cover shipping charges, that would be great. Maybe $6 or so for shipping.

If interested, shoot me a PM. First come, first serve.

#1514 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:11 AM

Hmm I wonder what shall I do with the discs that were replaced during the season 1 mastering issue situation? They are just sitting around?

#1515 Friend of Sonic

Friend of Sonic

Toneman.org coming soon..

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:01 AM

Review of season 2:
http://tng.trekcore....2_s2review.html

Planets are mostly shit, and some spotty compositing but seems like a good effort otherwise.
You hurt the right person and you're wrong for life.

#1516 UncleBob

UncleBob

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:15 AM

Can't wait until Thursday! 3rd Star Trek event in a row. :D
"The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy, instead of diminishing evil, it multiplies it."

#1517 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:03 PM

Review of season 2:
http://tng.trekcore....2_s2review.html

Planets are mostly shit, and some spotty compositing but seems like a good effort otherwise.

I know I read that too :|

It's too bad about some of the planets. There is still grain on space scenes!!! God damn it that's gotta stop!

At this point they need to just redo all space scenes in CG. Enterprise had very good space scenes (but BSG did it better).

#1518 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:04 PM

Can't wait until Thursday! 3rd Star Trek event in a row. :D

I can't wait either!!! Ooo boy!!

:bouncy:

#1519 davo1224

davo1224

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:07 AM

Alright it's been a couple of months but I never got to have my DS9 discussion.

Spoiler

Edited by shrike4242, 28 November 2012 - 06:33 PM.

#1520 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:13 AM

Alright it's been a couple of months but I never got to have my DS9 discussion.

Spoiler

oh get over it. It was pretty good.

Edited by shrike4242, 28 November 2012 - 06:33 PM.

#1521 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:53 PM

My biggest gripe with the series finale was that they killed Sisko. Only time the captain of the show has ever been killed off like that. Hell, kill Janeway if you just gotta kill a captain.
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. -George Carlin

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” -Mark Twain

“When a great genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign; that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." -Jonathon Swift

#1522 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:19 PM

My biggest gripe with the series finale was that they killed Sisko. Only time the captain of the show has ever been killed off like that. Hell, kill Janeway if you just gotta kill a captain.

She did die a few times...only to be brought back via Voyager's Reset button.......god damn reset button :(

I don't think Sisko died remember........he's with the Prophets.

#1523 darkling23

darkling23

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:40 PM

Sisko didn't die! He became an energy being and moved into the wormhole.

The re-launch novels are pretty great stuff. Sisko's return is somewhat epic! Unrelated to Sisko, even if you're not a licensed fiction reader, I suggest the Garek book A Stitch in Time.

#1524 dafoomie

dafoomie

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:10 AM

DS9 was supposed to get a movie which went into all that but of course, never happened.

They did take shortcuts in the last season. Like how they
Spoiler

Watch Babylon 5 if you haven't, they'll show you how long story arcs and plot points set up years in advance are done.

#1525 Tony Stark

Tony Stark

Keep Calm Chive On

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:13 AM

DS9 was supposed to get a movie which went into all that but of course, never happened.

They did take shortcuts in the last season. Like how they

Spoiler

Watch Babylon 5 if you haven't, they'll show you how long story arcs and plot points set up years in advance are done.

Voyager was to get a movie as well...

For a way to update your Android you may not know about check out this site: http://about.me/forceandroid

#1526 dafoomie

dafoomie

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:01 AM

They already made a Gilligan's Island movie, no need for a second.

#1527 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:17 PM

Funny clip of Stewart getting roasted.

http://tv.yahoo.com/...-200755678.html
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. -George Carlin

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” -Mark Twain

“When a great genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign; that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." -Jonathon Swift

#1528 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:54 PM

Just a reminder folks that the two episode season 2 event is tonight at 7pm in select theaters. My wife and I are going.....lets hope that I can make a trekker out of her with these two episodes...and NO I AM NOT GETTING OUT OF MY SEAT TO GET A REFILL LOL!

Anyways.....looks like BB will have season 2 BR for 65 dollars next week.... A 5 dollar increase from season 1 is not bad at all! I can use my 100 dollar GC to help pay for that, Nemo, Batman and Ted.

#1529 johnnypark

johnnypark

Farewell My Viking!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:51 PM

I realize it's a fairly old series, but I'm 6 episodes away from finishing DS9 and would have appreciated some spoiler tags regarding Sisko's fate. I know not all plot details can be treated with care given the age of these series, but it's a pretty crucial and central detail regarding a main character. Hadn't been to the thread in awhile and in the past I'd seen a bit more discretion regarding that kinda stuff.

Aside from that, I've been enjoying DS9 and I can see why so many people (including a close friend of mine) regard it as their favorite Trek.
Selling both CoD: Black Ops Declassified and Resistance: Burning Skies for $40 shipped. Check my trade list or PM me!

:3ds: 2363-5670-6657
My Trade List

Feedback on Ebay

Twitter

#1530 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:11 PM

Darth Vader also dies.