SAACHU ANDO DESUTOROI!! Anime & Manga Thread Lives Again

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
508 replies to this topic

#271 Rig

Rig

Rig = Lunar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2008 - 07:12 PM

I hope you're enjoying Death Note as much as I did, Rig.

Funny I'm chasing your lead on the free360games.com site, then you're watching Death Note like I have, and we're both from Central Illinois.

I hail from P-Town originally...where are you at?

I actually go to school in Normal, so that's where I have been the last four years (grew up near Pontiac).

Just got done with episode 25. Really enjoying this series. I should get it finished tonight or tomorrow.

#272 Kuroi Kaze

Kuroi Kaze

Yes, I toss douches.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2008 - 08:11 PM

I attended ISU before I moved up here last fall.

I miss ISU...solid school.

Death Note is definitely one of the best series I've seen in years.

sig.gif
Sekai wa hiroi yo!

#273 tehweezner

tehweezner

Mother Leopard

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2008 - 08:56 PM

the part of death note that was truly stunning to me is when:

Spoiler

#274 Kuroi Kaze

Kuroi Kaze

Yes, I toss douches.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2008 - 11:48 PM

awesome spoiler there. i did love that scene and it is truly epic.

sig.gif
Sekai wa hiroi yo!

#275 GuilewasNK

GuilewasNK

No gimmicks necessary.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2008 - 01:45 PM

They have some new anime for download on Live Marketplace. I remember seeing...

Solty Rei
Excel Saga
Godannar

There were more, but that is all I can think of right now.

Posted Image

It is illegal to assault the internet. - Xi Yanchun

click for my list ---> Posted Image RPGS added!

#276 crystalklear64

crystalklear64

Posted 23 January 2008 - 05:37 PM

excel saga is laffs.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#277 GuilewasNK

GuilewasNK

No gimmicks necessary.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2008 - 07:32 PM

excel saga is laffs.

I have volumes 1-5 on DVD, but I never could find the 6th DVD so I waited to watch it. Guess I'll try to watch it now since I can just download the missing episodes on Live.

Also, I just remembered that the other show they have on Live is Welcome to the NHK. They have the first four episodes.

Posted Image

#278 Kuroi Kaze

Kuroi Kaze

Yes, I toss douches.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2008 - 02:13 AM

NHK is great stuff.

I liked it more than Excel.

sig.gif
Sekai wa hiroi yo!

#279 Kirin Lemon

Kirin Lemon

世界を革命する者

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2008 - 02:35 AM

NHK is great stuff.

I liked it more than Excel.

Not hard to out-funny Excel Saga. The frantic yelling didn't make me laugh, it only gave me a headache. Though it did have a *few* decent episodes, to be fair.
Posted Image

#280 Liquid 2

Liquid 2

Dutch Dreams

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2008 - 02:55 AM

NHK poops all over Excel Saga. FACT.

#281 cletus

cletus

Bridgetsexual

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2008 - 03:10 AM

I vaguely recall Excel Saga but it's been many years since I've watched it. It was one of the first animes I've ever seen. I've thought about going through it again to catch all the anime references I missed the first time. Maybe when I clear out some of this backlog.

I remember the first and last thirds of the plot were pretty good but the middle section just pointlessly wandered around doing nothing. Also, the final episode completely came out of nowhere. I don't think it even had anything to do with the plot. I just remember it was the best final episode EVER. Oh yeah, and that opening song really grows on you after a while.

Even to this day I still remember the best scene in the entire series.

It feels so good.

OOOOH IT FEELS SO GOOOD!

#282 crystalklear64

crystalklear64

Posted 24 January 2008 - 04:14 AM

Having not even seen or heard of NHK I can say with 100% accuracy that Excel Saga is better.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#283 cletus

cletus

Bridgetsexual

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2008 - 04:44 AM

I think it's time for you to watch NHK.

#284 crystalklear64

crystalklear64

Posted 24 January 2008 - 06:00 AM

If its a comedy, which I'll assume it is since its being compared to Excel Saga, I can say with certainty I won't like it. "Funny" stuff isn't funny to me anymore, the internet has made me too jaded. Unless theres tragic things happening, its not funny.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#285 Liquid 2

Liquid 2

Dutch Dreams

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2008 - 06:02 AM

It really shouldn't be compared with Excel Saga.

It starts out absurd, and there are some comedic parts, but overall, it's far different/better than Excel Saga.

#286 GuilewasNK

GuilewasNK

No gimmicks necessary.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2008 - 07:14 PM

No sooner do I mention I don't have Excel Saga volume 6 then we have another 25 for $100 sale at Rightstuf.

Awesome! :)

http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=169413

Posted Image

#287 crystalklear64

crystalklear64

Posted 24 January 2008 - 07:19 PM

Wow. Are there any stand out DvDs? I don't really mind which shows, DvD extras are the only reason I see for buying anime on DvD.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#288 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

How shiny are your balls?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2008 - 07:24 PM

Been watching the Beck volumes I picked up and the dub is just amazingly well done.

#289 crystalklear64

crystalklear64

Posted 24 January 2008 - 11:52 PM

Well so far the 3 Fist of the North Star DVDs are the only things I've found I'd want.. only 7 more to go >.>

Theres a couple of series that are 7 DVD's in length, but none of them really looked that good.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#290 cletus

cletus

Bridgetsexual

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 January 2008 - 04:12 AM

If its a comedy, which I'll assume it is since its being compared to Excel Saga, I can say with certainty I won't like it. "Funny" stuff isn't funny to me anymore, the internet has made me too jaded. Unless theres tragic things happening, its not funny.

This part made me laugh aloud. It's like you're describing NHK without even realizing it.

The other guy was right though. I shouldn't compare a comedy like Excel Saga to a drama like NHK. I'm trying to think of another comedy series but I'm drawing a blank here. Oh wait, I remember watching Puni Puni Poemi a long time ago which was made by the same people as Excel. Now that was one weird ass anime. I could barely keep up with the action and read the subs at the same time.

#291 crystalklear64

crystalklear64

Posted 25 January 2008 - 04:44 AM

Well, it'll depend on whether or not the show is self-aware. The shit happening to Pedro in Excel was always tragic, but it was obviously made to be funny in that way. Thats the wrong kind of tragic.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#292 GuilewasNK

GuilewasNK

No gimmicks necessary.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 January 2008 - 09:16 PM

Whoa, when the hell did Newtype USA die?

Posted Image

#293 Kapwanil

Kapwanil

You: Harm / Us: Nuke

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 January 2008 - 09:22 PM

Whoa, when the hell did Newtype USA die?

I think they announced about a week or so ago that their February 2008 issue would be their last. I believe there was also a mention of retooling such that it may come back in another form but Newtype USA was amongst some of the major cuts ADV recently made (ie: no more copious freebie materials to anime clubs, Anime Network being a strictly On-Demand channel rather than a 24/7 setup, etc.).

If I also remember one determining factor was that Geneon used to buy a lot of ad space in Newtype USA and with their ceasing of US distribution...well...

#294 GuilewasNK

GuilewasNK

No gimmicks necessary.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 January 2008 - 09:30 PM

I think they announced about a week or so ago that their February 2008 issue would be their last. I believe there was also a mention of retooling such that it may come back in another form but Newtype USA was amongst some of the major cuts ADV recently made (ie: no more copious freebie materials to anime clubs, Anime Network being a strictly On-Demand channel rather than a 24/7 setup, etc.).

If I also remember one determining factor was that Geneon used to buy a lot of ad space in Newtype USA and with their ceasing of US distribution...well...

Man, things are getting crazy.

Posted Image

#295 Bezerker

Bezerker

Bezerker Barrage!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2008 - 11:41 AM

Woot, both "Place Promised in Our Early Days" and "5cm Per Second" have been announced for both HD-DVD & Blu-Ray. They will release on 4/18 and have a price of $55.26 per movie; which is more than i would probably pay, but its still cheap for a "R2 R1" (Basically, Region 2 Prices with Region 1 settings) movie. No word about audio or subs yet.

Hopefully if ADV sees them doing well, we'll get a reasonably priced release here.

538822.png

#296 GuilewasNK

GuilewasNK

No gimmicks necessary.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2008 - 03:18 AM

Man, One Piece has got to have some of the weirdest looking, most bizarre characters in anime.

Posted Image

#297 Zen Davis

Zen Davis

Posted 10 February 2008 - 03:29 AM

Man, One Piece has got to have some of the weirdest looking, most bizarre characters in anime.

That's why it's so awesome.

#298 cletus

cletus

Bridgetsexual

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2008 - 04:06 AM

If I was to ever buy a Blu-Ray player then 5cm per second would be one of the first films I get. That movie was one of the most beautiful animes I've ever seen.

#299 headpiece747

headpiece747

I'm always angry

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 February 2008 - 03:55 AM

I just watched Witchblade with a mix reaction. I love the animation and fight scenes but the story wasn't there for me. Just wondering if it picks up in later episodes. I have only watched the first episode because it was a free download on the Xbox 360. Wondering if I should bother downloading the rest.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#300 GuilewasNK

GuilewasNK

No gimmicks necessary.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 February 2008 - 04:13 AM

I just watched Witchblade with a mix reaction. I love the animation and fight scenes but the story wasn't there for me. Just wondering if it picks up in later episodes. I have only watched the first episode because it was a free download on the Xbox 360. Wondering if I should bother downloading the rest.

I have only seen small portions of Witchblade, but I do agree the animation looks really nice.

I've started watching some of my DVDs from the ADV sale. Started with Colorful which I would give a B. Nothing spectacular other than the fact it rivals Najica Blitz Tactics and Agent Aika in panty shots. It had some laugh out loud moments though.

I'm on the second disc of Nanaka 6/17 and it seems to be one of the better blind buys I have ever made. I really enjoy the whole "fish out of water" type of characters and story.

I'll probably start on another DVD tonight after Nanaka. Most likely something short like Kekko Kamen.

Posted Image