SAACHU ANDO DESUTOROI!! Anime & Manga Thread Lives Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I'll prolly pick up SSS tomorrow. Deepdiscount's retail store has that for like $20 (the LE version), so I'll use the 20% off shit there and... whuzzat add up to? Like 16?

Can't complain for something that's guaranteed legitimacy.

[quote name='crystalklear64']Well, I have to ask why. Difference in tastes and all that.[/QUOTE]

Name anything. animation? Story? Characters? Blech.

[quote name='Bezerker']Someone didnt pay attention in economics class...

The only time you have something being of a higher cost is when its a monopoly. DVD's were a monopoly, they could've charged $100 a disc and you'd have to pay because there was no other format you could get it on (uness for whatever reason it was on VHS).

[/quote]

The Blu-Ray and HD-DVD version of the same movie still costs a lot more than standard DVD.

[quote name='Bezerker']Someone didnt pay attention in economics class...

The only time you have something being of a higher cost is when its a monopoly. DVD's were a monopoly, they could've charged $100 a disc and you'd have to pay because there was no other format you could get it on (uness for whatever reason it was on VHS).

With Blu-Ray and HD-DVD at war, the only way they can truly beat eachother is with better catalouges and lower prices. Now, when Blu-Ray win the war, or TotalHD's go into mass production, the prices will most likely go up since they'll be the only choice.[/QUOTE]

Collusive agreements in ologopolies raise prices as well, but that's just getting nitpicky.

I personally liked the dub on the VHS tape from Orion (remember them?) of Akira better than the later version... so what if they say Kanada right? It sounded better "Ken-ada"

[quote name='Mookyjooky']I personally liked the dub on the VHS tape from Orion (remember them?) of Akira better than the later version... so what if they say Kanada right? It sounded better "Ken-ada"[/QUOTE]
Kaneda. Pronunciation difference being the old "Kah-NE-dah" versus the new "KAH-ne-dah." The latter being the proper way.

This thread title still bugs the hell out of me.

lol alright alright, I changed it. I had it more Engrish before so it wouldn't be completely over people's heads. But accuracy seems to be important...

[quote name='Chacrana']lol alright alright, I changed it. I had it more Engrish before so it wouldn't be completely over people's heads. But accuracy seems to be important...[/QUOTE]

Great, now only Kirin can read it.

It's somewhat more 1337 now, though. I make up for the change by walking down my hall yelling search and destroy in Engrish. YELLING. Loud.

Between this and my Terry Bogardisms, nobody knows what to think.

OKAY

[quote name='Chacrana']lol alright alright, I changed it. I had it more Engrish before so it wouldn't be completely over people's heads. But accuracy seems to be important...[/QUOTE]
Hooray!

You spoil me. :mrgreen:

i'm watching 2nd Gig right now, the action sequence in ep4 was very nice (sniper rifle, lift the front). GITS never has a lot of action but it's always quality stuff.

Late to the thread as usual.

Is the Tenjho Tenge manga still being continued or has it been finished for awhile?:/

I always wanted to know what the hell happened after the 2nd OVA

[quote name='GuilewasNK']The Blu-Ray and HD-DVD version of the same movie still costs a lot more than standard DVD.[/quote]

Well thats another 'no shit' thing right there. Would you pay more for a VHS than a DVD?

[quote name='Bezerker']Well thats another 'no shit' thing right there. Would you pay more for a VHS than a DVD?[/quote]

The difference between VHS and DVD is a lot larger than HD-DVD/Blu-Ray and DVD. The average consumer cannot tell the difference in quality because either their TV sets aren't large enough or it just isn't the quantum leap in quality that VHS to DVD provided. So instead of a price war, you have HD-DVD and Blu-Ray discs coming in at the same price and neither has really grabbed the average consumer away from standard DVDs. There is no monopoly yet, but the cost of next gen discs are still high.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']The difference between VHS and DVD is a lot larger than HD-DVD/Blu-Ray and DVD. The average consumer cannot tell the difference in quality because either their TV sets aren't large enough or it just isn't the quantum leap in quality that VHS to DVD provided. So instead of a price war, you have HD-DVD and Blu-Ray discs coming in at the same price and neither has really grabbed the average consumer away from standard DVDs. There is no monopoly yet, but the cost of next gen discs are still high.[/quote]

It's not just that. In the VHS vs. DVD fight, there was clear noticable difference in picture quality on a standard tv. Now, in the DVD vs. HD-DVD & BR, the difference is only noticable on a high def tv. Although hdtvs have come down a lot in price, there's still a lot of people who, for one reason or another won't or can't make the switch from standard to hi-def.

I've been trying to get my own mom to switch to a cheap visio but she says it's unnecessary because "her old eyes don't see the difference" even when I tricked her into going to Best Buy to browse the tv section. Even when I offered to pay for it completely she flat out refused since it would be wasted on her. She told me not to do it anyway as she'll throw it away if I do. She told me she hates condescending pity (which I think it's not but I know better than to argue w/ her stubbornness).:bomb::whistle2:# I'm sure she'll give in one day. But, knowing my mom, she'll change her mind on her deathbed. :roll:

So you not only have the marginal quality between formats but the practicality of it as well. DVDs made a lot of practical sense due to its apparent quality difference from VHS as well as archival storage size (VHS tapes vs. DVD discs). HD-DVD & BR? Not so much.

Just a random thought, I love it when animes crossover. I was watching Hayate no Gotoku yesterday and they had Nabeshin from Excel Saga in it. I really like Excel Saga so it was like two great tastes that go great together.

[quote name='dcfox']Just a random thought, I love it when animes crossover. I was watching Hayate no Gotoku yesterday and they had Nabeshin from Excel Saga in it. I really like Excel Saga so it was like two great tastes that go great together.[/quote]

Same here (although I haven't seen the latest Hayate no Gotoku). That's why I thoroughly enjoyed shows like Lucky Star, Genshiken, and xxxHolic (despite having no interest whatsoever in Tsubasa Chronicle).

[quote name='jaykrue']Same here (although I haven't seen the latest Hayate no Gotoku). That's why I thoroughly enjoyed shows like Lucky Star, Genshiken, and xxxHolic (despite having no interest whatsoever in Tsubasa Chronicle).[/QUOTE]
It wasn't the latest episode. It was the one from last week. I'm still catching up. I just started watching the first season of Genshiken and I'm really liking it as well. And they really do reference a lot of different animes and manga. Now is the cooking show with the girl and the mushrooms, that the characters in Genshiken watch, a real show?

[quote name='dcfox']It wasn't the latest episode. It was the one from last week. I'm still catching up. I just started watching the first season of Genshiken and I'm really liking it as well. And they really do reference a lot of different animes and manga. Now is the cooking show with the girl and the mushrooms, that the characters in Genshiken watch, a real show?[/quote]
Ok, well, I'm behind by 7 episodes on Gotoku. The show you're talking about is Kujibiki Unbalance. And it's not really about cooking. It's about a prestigious school where its graduates almost always become Japan's future leaders (CEOs, politicians, superintendents, etc.). Somehow this boy Chihiro Enomoto gets in and it goes on to detail his school life. I don't think they made a full series of it but I've seen a few episodes.

If you want to check out some full series that really reference each other, check out Smash Hit!, Cosprayers, & Love Love. Smash Hit! is basically an anime about making an anime, specifically, Cosprayers. Cosprayers is your typical bishoujo magical school girl anime. And Love Love is basically a love story hentai between the writer & female seiyuus of Cosprayers (who all happen to coincidentally attend or pass by the same high school).

[quote name='jaykrue']Ok, well, I'm behind by 7 episodes on Gotoku. The show you're talking about is Kujibiki Unbalance. And it's not really about cooking. It's about a prestigious school where its graduates almost always become Japan's future leaders (CEOs, politicians, superintendents, etc.). Somehow this boy Chihiro Enomoto gets in and it goes on to detail his school life. I don't think they made a full series of it but I've seen a few episodes.

If you want to check out some full series that really reference each other, check out Smash Hit!, Cosprayers, & Love Love. Smash Hit! is basically an anime about making an anime, specifically, Cosprayers. Cosprayers is your typical bishoujo magical school girl anime. And Love Love is basically a love story hentai between the writer & female seiyuus of Cosprayers (who all happen to coincidentally attend or pass by the same high school).[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the info on Kujibiki Unbalance. I might check it out.

I've seen Smash Hit. It was alright but from what I've seen of Cosprayers in Smash Hit, I'm not sure if it's something I'll like.

[quote name='dcfox']Thanks for the info on Kujibiki Unbalance. I might check it out.

I've seen Smash Hit. It was alright but from what I've seen of Cosprayers in Smash Hit, I'm not sure if it's something I'll like.[/quote]

I didn't say they were good... just that they reference each other. :lol: Of the 3, Smash Hit is probably the most tolerable. Kujibiki Unbalance could be good but I've never seen a full series of it, which is strange since, according to the 2nd season of Genshiken, the animation studio did a remake of it. #-o I did see the first remake eps. of Kujibiki Unbalance but haven't heard anything since so I don't know if it's a full series or just like the original - just random episodes.

Just finished Darker Than Black. Pretty good overall.
The ending was...okay. Seemed like it was kind of a cop out.
Some questions: did they ever explain why
Li had no need to do a remuneration? Was it because he somehow got Bai's powers?

Man, I haven't marathoned a show forever.

I've had Darker than Black on my harddrive for a while. I guess i can give it a watch tomorrow, see if its any good.

I've started watching Bleach on my lunch breaks. I'm only on episode 6 but the series seems good so far. Looks like there are 149 episodes so far (and an ova), I hope its not another one of those 'demon of the week' shows. Does it hold up well throughout the series?

[quote name='Bezerker']I've had Darker than Black on my harddrive for a while. I guess i can give it a watch tomorrow, see if its any good.

I've started watching Bleach on my lunch breaks. I'm only on episode 6 but the series seems good so far. Looks like there are 149 episodes so far (and an ova), I hope its not another one of those 'demon of the week' shows. Does it hold up well throughout the series?[/quote]

Well, all I can say is you'll know when you've hit the filler episodes and arc ;)

I love the series, and seeing how the manga is going, I can't wait to see some parts animated, despite the cliche it just reached.

My favorite arc is still the first one.

[quote name='Inf^Shini']Okaaay dudes, I have a number of questions due to the DDD sale and I'm contemplating picking up some anime stuff.

How good is the Samurai X complete collection?

GITS:SAC Season 1, how good was it? I'm assuming it was better than Season 2???

I know about the second movie in this collection, but does anyone have opinions on "Voices Of A Distant Start"?

Saiyuki, I've been eyeing it for awhile, take it or leave it at this price? (With the 20% off of course)
[/QUOTE]
Samurai X is amazing.

GIT is awright. Quite a few entertaining episodes. Laughing man made a better "character" than the sword guy from 2nd season. I'd say 1st is better.

No clue.

Saiyuki is garbage.

[quote name='Inf^Shini']Okaaay dudes, I have a number of questions due to the DDD sale and I'm contemplating picking up some anime stuff.

How good is the Samurai X complete collection?

GITS:SAC Season 1, how good was it? I'm assuming it was better than Season 2???

I know about the second movie in this collection, but does anyone have opinions on "Voices Of A Distant Start"?

Saiyuki, I've been eyeing it for awhile, take it or leave it at this price? (With the 20% off of course)
[/quote]

Hmmm, dunno if they've made any cuts to Kenshin but I liked the series.

I think GITS:SAC Season 1 was better than Season 2 but only by a tiny margin. The Laughing Man beats the pants of the Individualist Eleven and Kuze.

Voices of a Distant Star is a good tragic long distance, short love story.

Saiyuki is complete ass. You're better off watching DBZ.

[quote name='Bezerker']I've started watching Bleach on my lunch breaks. I'm only on episode 6 but the series seems good so far. Looks like there are 149 episodes so far (and an ova), I hope its not another one of those 'demon of the week' shows. Does it hold up well throughout the series?[/quote]

Yes and no. It's not demon of the week but you do have villain of the story arc and it can be excruciating to watch if it's not part of the main story. That said, its filler, for what it's worth, is infinitely better than Naruto's.

Man. I got all excited when i went on Wikipedia and saw a dvd cover for Blood+. Unfortunately, it was for the R2 versions. I really feel sorry for the japanese. The SRP on the Blood+ discs (4 episodes each) is $58.18 a disc.

I really dont understand how its cheaper to have anime in America. R1's have a lot more to them (translation, dubbing, etc).

Seriously, just get all of FMP. Unlike Liquid, I really, really enjoyed the first series. It's not particularly complex, but both the action bits and the comedy are damn enjoyable. I loved Fumoffu as well, despite that being comedy the entire time... I typically don't like comedy anime, but this is an exception.

TSR though. Now that's a show. Damn is it good. Definitely the best the series has to offer.

Yeah FMP was pretty fun. I can't really speak about TSR, since I have only read the novel it was based on (The End of Day by Day). Now if they just make a series based off of Continuing On My Own...

got the melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya through netflix for the hell of it, watched an episode...yeah, I don't think I'm the target audience...

The first episode that's like... not funny at all? Like, the one that's "filmed" on a handheld camera? That's not really an episode. The show does get better, though the first disc is hardly as entertaining as people would have you believe. I still can't quite justify buying the second disc...

[quote name='Apossum']got the melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya through netflix for the hell of it, watched an episode...yeah, I don't think I'm the target audience...[/quote]

Which episode did you see? If it was the first broadcast eps., you can't base it off that because that was intentionally made to be crappy as they were trying to present it as an amateur movie made by high schoolers. Watch a bit more of it.

I liked all of the FMPs even though Fumoffu & Tessa's Day Off OVA were comedy oriented. That said, I prefer TSR over the original.

[quote name='Apossum']I watched ep01, not 00.[/quote]

Ok, which order do you plan on seeing it? Eps. 01 is a so-so eps. I recommend the broadcast order which builds up around Eps. 05 (Eps. 04 chronologically).

[quote name='jaykrue']Ok, which order do you plan on seeing it? Eps. 01 is a so-so eps. I recommend the broadcast order which builds up around Eps. 05 (Eps. 04 chronologically).[/QUOTE]

I dunno, the whole vibe was just weird. I think it might be too Japanese for my tastes. it just seems very strictly targeted at teens/junior high kids/otakus...usually the shows I watch have elements that "cross the ocean" so-to-speak. I got the same feeling from Azumanga, but that show wasn't as over the top, and lets face it, you have to keep watching it to see what Osaka says :lol:

[quote name='Apossum']I dunno, the whole vibe was just weird. I think it might be too Japanese for my tastes. it just seems very strictly targeted at teens/junior high kids/otakus...usually the shows I watch have elements that "cross the ocean" so-to-speak. I got the same feeling from Azumanga, but that show wasn't as over the top, and lets face it, you have to keep watching it to see what Osaka says :lol:[/quote]

Dude, at least watch the baseball episode of Haruhi. That episode kicks ass.

[quote name='Apossum']I dunno, the whole vibe was just weird. I think it might be too Japanese for my tastes. it just seems very strictly targeted at teens/junior high kids/otakus...usually the shows I watch have elements that "cross the ocean" so-to-speak. I got the same feeling from Azumanga, but that show wasn't as over the top, and lets face it, you have to keep watching it to see what Osaka says :lol:[/quote]

I disagree. While not as deep as something like, say, Ergo Proxy, I thought it was actually quite thought provoking and made you think about the idea of existence under the standard anime antics. Kind of a light-hearted treatise on "I think. Therefore, I am." I won't deny you on Azumanga though. :lol:

Ey, Rurouni Kenshin is the one with that mummy dude that's on fire? Kenshin and a couple of his buds take em' on right? I remember seeing that on Adult Swim and I was like fuuuuuuuuuck, especially with how that ends.

Gah, the DD 20% sale is gonna rip a hole in my pockets, wallet, bank account, you name it, that's what I'm destroying >.>

[quote name='Bezerker']Sounds more like that one episode of Samurai Champloo. I dont remember Kenshin being on AS.[/quote]

It was on Toonami on Saturdays the last time I saw it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back