SAACHU ANDO DESUTOROI!! Anime & Manga Thread Lives Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Chacrana']What'd you guys think of the second Ghost in the Shell movie? I loved the first one and the TV series... but I remember disliking the second movie when I saw it a few years back. Of course, that's back when I was half-retarded and really just wanted to see action scenes rather than the philosophical shit that GITS is actually known for. So, is it worth a second look, or is it really just crap?[/quote]

Depends. Are you still looking for action scenes or are you willing to watch existentialism and what defines or constitutes 'life'? GITS: Innocence is pretty deep into the navel gazing (though I think that's partly why I like it). If you want a more balanced film, try GITS: Solid State Society.

[quote name='Chacrana']All of that non-standard stuff looks completely ridiculous. It's just... stupid. It's not so much a conscious design choice as it is the result of a marathon pot-smoking session.[/QUOTE]
As an artist, this is somewhat disappointing for me to read. You may not care for it, but I think it's refreshing to see diverse animation styles, and I welcome it wholeheartedly. Creativity and diversity in animation is paramount to keeping the art form from becoming old and stale. Japanese animation may still look cutting-edge to you, but I'm getting pretty sick of the same, cookie-cutter look that most shows have. At least American animation has the balls to try a variety of visual styles.

[quote name='Chacrana']What'd you guys think of the second Ghost in the Shell movie? I loved the first one and the TV series... but I remember disliking the second movie when I saw it a few years back. Of course, that's back when I was half-retarded and really just wanted to see action scenes rather than the philosophical shit that GITS is actually known for. So, is it worth a second look, or is it really just crap?[/QUOTE]
The second GitS film is a storytelling train wreck that gets lost in its own fake, meaningless "depth." One of the worst movies I've ever seen.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']As an artist, this is somewhat disappointing for me to read. You may not care for it, but I think it's refreshing to see diverse animation styles, and I welcome it wholeheartedly. Creativity and diversity in animation is paramount to keeping the art form from becoming old and stale. Japanese animation may still look cutting-edge to you, but I'm getting pretty sick of the same, cookie-cutter look that most shows have. At least American animation has the balls to try a variety of visual styles.
[/QUOTE]

It's not so much that I think everything needs to stick to an established style... it's just that the vast majority of shows that try to look unique seem to fail utterly. I mean, Ed Edd and Eddy's major contribution was... squiggly outlines. It doesn't look good and it doesn't add anything to the show.

And before somebody says that I just hate America, I want to say that the worst art style of all time belongs to Reign. Ugh.

[quote name='Chacrana']It's not so much that I think everything needs to stick to an established style... it's just that the vast majority of shows that try to look unique seem to fail utterly. I mean, Ed Edd and Eddy's major contribution was... squiggly outlines. It doesn't look good and it doesn't add anything to the show.

And before somebody says that I just hate America, I want to say that the worst art style of all time belongs to Reign. Ugh.[/QUOTE]
I'd say the most valid beef with Ed, Edd, and Eddy would be the writing quality, but you're right, I don't care much for the animation style either. Still, that doesn't make all unique shows bad.

Actually, Reign's look is from Korean-born Peter Chung, who studied animation at a university in California. Surprisingly, he's also responsible for co-designing the characters in Rugrats. I think he's quite talented, with great artistic sensibilities, even if his art sometimes doesn't translate well to animation.

[quote name='Chacrana']All of that non-standard stuff looks completely ridiculous. It's just... stupid. It's not so much a conscious design choice as it is the result of a marathon pot-smoking session.

[/quote]

I agree with that.

BTW, who is that in your new avatar?

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']I'd say the most valid beef with Ed, Edd, and Eddy would be the writing quality, but you're right, I don't care much for the animation style either. Still, that doesn't make all unique shows bad.

Actually, Reign's look is from Korean-born Peter Chung, who studied animation at a university in California. Surprisingly, he's also responsible for co-designing the characters in Rugrats. I think he's quite talented, with great artistic sensibilities, even if his art sometimes doesn't translate well to animation.[/QUOTE]

He had a hand in Rugrats? hmm... never knew that. I just know that he was involved in Reign and (unless I'm mistaken) Aeon Flux, neither of which were particularly compelling.

and Guile, my avatar is some ho from Ikki Tousen.

[quote name='Chacrana']
and Guile, my avatar is some ho from Ikki Tousen.[/quote]

I need to open up those discs I have of that show. I've been meaning to watch it since I got them, but lately all I have watched is the dub Haruhi and Black Lagoon.

Enough american cartoon talk, lets talk about some real japanese stuff, like Avatar.

... Gwahahaha.

I watched nearly all of Haibane Renmei today. I've got two episodes to go. Its a real letdown in comparison to Texhnolyze & Lain. Just seems like another slice-of-life anime with a little twist.

I'm also halfway through Get Backers, which is a lot more entertaining. Nothing spectacular, but its got a good ratio of comedy & action. I'll probably finish it up in the next day or two. After that, i think i'm gonna give Last Exile a watch.

[quote name='Inf^Shini']Instead of that girl Chacrana, put up some Maya Natsume ;O

And for the record, I enjoy watching Ed, Edd n' Eddy, it's funny :D[/QUOTE]

I did not comply with your request, but I am satisfied with the less recognizable, more objectionable content I now have.

[quote name='Bezerker']I watched nearly all of Haibane Renmei today. I've got two episodes to go. Its a real letdown in comparison to Texhnolyze & Lain.[/QUOTE]
This makes me sad enough, but...

[quote name='Bezerker']I'm also halfway through Get Backers, which is a lot more entertaining.[/QUOTE]
... this makes the sadness ten times stronger.

[quote name='crystalklear64']Anime is sucking right now. Can't find anything new or entertaining, any new series or movies coming out any time soon?[/quote]
I'm looking forward to the new Bleach Movie - "The Diamond Dust Rebellion"

Looks promising :D

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']... this makes the sadness ten times stronger.[/quote]
I think im watching it more for the storyline (which isnt that great, but ive seen worse) and the comedy. The fighting is very repetitive. Even if its something i dont think i'll like, i usually try to stick it out til the end. I loved the first Saiyuki series (one of ADV's best dubs). But halfway through Reload, I wanted to claw my eyes out. I somehow managed to get all the way through Gunlock.

I know were not supposed to talk about deals in here, but FYE's got a really good one going on for anime. YMMV on combining the B2 offers, it really depends on who is on the register.

B2G1F all anime
B2G $10 gift card (1 per transaction)
50% off Select Geneon
50% off Select Funimation

That would make the complete Gankutsuou series $44 and you have a $10 gift card left over afterwards. Pretty tempting deal.

[quote name='Inf^Shini']I'm looking forward to the new Bleach Movie - "The Diamond Dust Rebellion"

Looks promising :D[/quote]

Hooray, 1.5 hours of MORE filler...am I the only one that thinks that the majority of the tv series movies are just crap?

[quote name='bigl523']Hooray, 1.5 hours of MORE filler...am I the only one that thinks that the majority of the tv series movies are just crap?[/quote]

:roll:

[quote name='bigl523']Hooray, 1.5 hours of MORE filler...am I the only one that thinks that the majority of the tv series movies are just crap?[/QUOTE]
Nope, I'm with you there.

[quote name='Chacrana']

Edit: Oh, and would anyone recommend Rumbling Hearts? I remember Rei hated one of the characters, but the average review score on meta sites seems... ridiculously good. And the whole series is $20 from Rightstuf right now... I usually don't go for the romance/slice of life shows, but if it's really good I'll give it a shot.[/QUOTE]
The show sucks balls, and I'm pretty sure it gave me cancer. If you want a good emotional show then go watch Saikano.

What sucked the most about it was that it was close to being good. If it weren't for that one character (
Who is normally the shitty girlfriend the main character is dating at the beginning of a show then boots to the curb when he finds someone decent. In this show he actually stays with her.
) and a couple other absolutely ridiculous things (I'm going to beat you up because I felt the need to fuck your girlfriend!) it would have been a good show.

It's true that there haven't been any standout shows lately. Though, true be told, since I'm quite backlogged on US, UK, Japanese live tv shows, I'm not hurtin' too much.

I'm about 2 eps away from the "end" of the Welcome to the NHK series (as far as I know at least).

It's still the best thing I've seen in years.
It makes Haruhi look completely amaturish by comparison.

I'm still trying to find time to read the NHK manga. The translation was finished a while ago but there always seems to be something else needing my attention. I haven't even watched any new animes since NHK except for a few episodes of Higurashi no Naku Koro ni and a few movie animes.

I have to ask. Am I the only one watching Dennou Coil? Although it seems to be a kiddie story, it's a got a real mature overall story arc. If I had to describe I'd say it's Ghost in the Shell minus the spy intrigue meets Ergo Proxy minus the action & apocalyptic future meets traditional slice-of-life kiddie anime. I'm really diggin' it.

[quote name='jaykrue']I have to ask. Am I the only one watching Dennou Coil? Although it seems to be a kiddie story, it's a got a real mature overall story arc. If I had to describe I'd say it's Ghost in the Shell minus the spy intrigue meets Ergo Proxy minus the action & apocalyptic future meets traditional slice-of-life kiddie anime. I'm really diggin' it.[/QUOTE]
Nope, I'm watching it too. It's a great show.

[quote name='jaykrue']I have to ask. Am I the only one watching Dennou Coil? Although it seems to be a kiddie story, it's a got a real mature overall story arc. If I had to describe I'd say it's Ghost in the Shell minus the spy intrigue meets Ergo Proxy minus the action & apocalyptic future meets traditional slice-of-life kiddie anime. I'm really diggin' it.[/QUOTE]

Wait, what?! That... I can't even comprehend what that description is telling me :cry:

Was that the one where the characters all wear VR glasses and they have to take it off to verify if something is real or not? If so it seemed interesting from the little I've seen. I'll probably get around to it after Higurashi, Honey and Clover, Beck, Sayonara Zetsubou, Kino's Journey... hmm. I really need to catch up with the rest of you guys or else I wouldn't be able to post in here anymore. Maybe I should post my list of animes-to-watch and you all can tell me which one's are worth my time.

[quote name='cletus']Was that the one where the characters all wear VR glasses and they have to take it off to verify if something is real or not? If so it seemed interesting from the little I've seen. I'll probably get around to it after Higurashi, Honey and Clover, Beck, Sayonara Zetsubou, Kino's Journey... hmm. I really need to catch up with the rest of you guys or else I wouldn't be able to post in here anymore. Maybe I should post my list of animes-to-watch and you all can tell me which one's are worth my time.[/quote]

Yup. As for the anime you mentioned, I liked all of them except Kino's Journey & Beck. I here Beck is pretty good (at least that's what FriskyTanuki sez) and Kino's Journey would've been good... if they didn't take forever to move the story so I gave up on it.

[quote name='Chacrana']Wait, what?! That... I can't even comprehend what that description is telling me :cry:[/quote]

Well, Ghost in the Shell is set in the future where you've got virtual reality and other future tech but it's also got a lot of spy stuff (which Dennou Coil does not). Ergo Proxy is also set in the future but a bleak Mad Max-style future. Dennou Coil is in the future but it seems like life now... but w/ cool VR glasses and no apocalyse. Both GitS and Ergo Proxy discuss (on varying levels) the philosophies of existentialism and the nature of human consciousness; the whole idea can be summed up by the maxim: "I think, therefore I Am." Dennou Coil also explores this topic. It's also a slice-of-life kiddie anime like Kiki's Delivery Service or Ichigo Mashimaro (minus the lolis).

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Nope, I'm watching it too. It's a great show.[/quote]

Good. I thought I was alone in this. :bouncy:

Dennou Coil is a great series, I'm only up to episode 9 or 10 so far. Aside from a good story and setting, I feel the animation style has the differentiation that some were saying anime is lacking in.

I haven't heard anyone mention Gurren Lagann, I recommend that show. At first I wasn't liking the character/mech designs but everything grew on me after the first 3 episodes.

Finally finished up Yu Yu Hakusho. Got the last disc yesterday and watched 10 episodes last night and four today. Such a good show... easily one of my favorite Shonen Jump series. It's a shame that something like DBZ managed to become far more popular. Anyway, the conclusion was satisfying and I really don't feel like I need more resolution... which is good.

[quote name='ekavilanz']Dennou Coil is a great series, I'm only up to episode 9 or 10 so far. Aside from a good story and setting, I feel the animation style has the differentiation that some were saying anime is lacking in.

I haven't heard anyone mention Gurren Lagann, I recommend that show. At first I wasn't liking the character/mech designs but everything grew on me after the first 3 episodes.[/quote]

It's been mentioned a while back. :p :lol:;) It's by the same guy that directed Dead Leaves (a series I liked as well).

[quote name='Chacrana']Finally finished up Yu Yu Hakusho. Got the last disc yesterday and watched 10 episodes last night and four today. Such a good show... easily one of my favorite Shonen Jump series. It's a shame that something like DBZ managed to become far more popular. Anyway, the conclusion was satisfying and I really don't feel like I need more resolution... which is good.[/quote]
Chac, my sister just wtfuxored at your sig. Lawl.

If you weren't so against fansubs, I'd reccommend watchin HunterxHunter, as it is made by the same person. However, the animation never finished, so you really won't get any resolution at the end.

Oh, and at tehweezner:
Try animecornerstore.com or rightstuf.com

Picked up Ghost in the Shell: Solid State Society LE at Best Buy today since it was only $15. Definitely couldn't pass it up at that kind of price. S'pose I'll give that a shot tonight and see how it is.

Paprika sucked though. Wow. Just random nonsense and nothing particularly interesting.

So am I the last person to find out about this? I've seen both of these scenes years ago but never made the connection.

Dennou Coil is interesting.

[quote name='Chacrana']Paprika sucked though. Wow. Just random nonsense and nothing particularly interesting.[/QUOTE]
You suck.

[quote name='cletus']So am I the last person to find out about this? I've seen both of these scenes years ago but never made the connection.

[/quote]

For the last year or so, it seemed like Naruto has been copying so much from other animes. Watch HunterxHunter, then watch Naruto. You'll see.

[quote name='Liquid 2']Dennou Coil is interesting.

You suck.[/QUOTE]

Contrary to popular belief, I do not suck.

Paprika felt like a case of good ideas, bad execution. I liked some of the stuff the movie did, but it's not something I'd ever watch again.

Just finished Solid State Society. I liked it a lot... it was kinda interesting, because it felt a lot like the first movie at certain moments. Almost as if they were retelling the first movie within the context of the TV series.

Just got done with Get Backers. It was an average show, ive seen better, ive seen worse.

I'll be starting Last Exile today. Having a video player (Zune) at work helps big time with getting rid of the backlog.

[quote name='Bezerker']Just got done with Get Backers. It was an average show, ive seen better, ive seen worse.

I'll be starting Last Exile today. Having a video player (Zune) at work helps big time with getting rid of the backlog.[/quote]

Getbackers started so strong and then it just totally kinda falls apart.

This saddened me as Dr. Jackal is the greatest character ever.

[quote name='Chacrana']Finally finished up Yu Yu Hakusho. Got the last disc yesterday and watched 10 episodes last night and four today. Such a good show... easily one of my favorite Shonen Jump series. It's a shame that something like DBZ managed to become far more popular. Anyway, the conclusion was satisfying and I really don't feel like I need more resolution... which is good.[/quote]

Ah yes, Yu Yu Hakusho has been one of my favorites since it first aired on Cartoon Network back when they still had "Toonami." The first five or six episodes are fantastic. It's really like DBZ done right.

VICTORY!!!!

The AAA Anime site has posted a number of new title solicitations from Sony. Including the following:

# Blood+ Vol. 1 - 120 minutes? - $24.99 - 03/4/2008
# Blood+ Vol. Part 1 (Special Edition) (6 Disc) - 600 minutes? - $119.95 - 03/4/2008

I almost fell out of my chair when i read this. While its not a Blu-Ray release, i'm excited that were getting the series finally on dvd. I'm wondering what all is going to be in the Special Edition version. Only 2 and a half months to go.

[quote name='cletus']So am I the last person to find out about this? I've seen both of these scenes years ago but never made the connection.

[/QUOTE]
Just paying homage; I don't see what the big deal is.

65959168.gif

Rei,

Have you heard or seen a way for us folks in America to catch the first Evangelion Rebuild movie yet?

[quote name='zewone']

Rei,

Have you heard or seen a way for us folks in America to catch the first Evangelion Rebuild movie yet?[/QUOTE]
Have to wait until the release of the DVD in Japan at the earliest. Sucks for me because I don't watch fansubs, so I have to wait until the US release...

It is Eva though... I may have to go against my own rules just this once.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back