NYC: Virgin Megastore Deathwatch

• Please log in to reply
187 replies to this topic

#31 BladeZ

BladeZ

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 March 2009 - 11:29 PM

Papers claim Forever 21 is taking it's place.

That will be the biggest Forever 21 EVER.

#32 Zytos

Zytos

Posted 16 March 2009 - 06:11 PM

Any update? Still 30% off games?

#33 BladeZ

BladeZ

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 March 2009 - 08:56 PM

I think games are at 40%, I can stop by on way home tonight...

#34 MarkHawk

MarkHawk

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 March 2009 - 09:05 PM

Papers claim Forever 21 is taking it's place.

Damn and I was hoping for a Giant Target Clearance store.

I'm actually pretty sad to see the store go. I've gone there every time I went to the city. I moved to Arizona about 4 years ago and it's sad to know that my Next NY trip will have me going into Forever 21 rather then a store I would of liked to kill 1 hour in.
Posted Image
"Come on! It's only a Dollar!"

Goozex | Twitter |
Website | Data-Cast Podcast | Facebook | XBL Gamer Card | PSN ID

#35 SithFran

SithFran

Baweep granaweep ninibong

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 March 2009 - 10:38 PM

When is the last day for that store? Has the other one started yet?

Uh... trick question... dcfox waxes and JFD hasn't sprouted nub fuzz yet.

#36 BladeZ

BladeZ

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 March 2009 - 11:53 PM

All games now at 30%.

#37 trq

trq

I *am* the reinforcements

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 March 2009 - 03:30 PM

Actually, the signs in-store are INCORRECT. Games are AT LEAST 30% off, possibly more. I only bought two games, so I don't have enough of a sample to say for sure, but:

I bought Fire Emblem for the Wii and Advance Wars: Days of Ruin for the DS. FE was stickered at $50 and AW at $30. 30% off *should* have brought them to $35 and $21, respectively. Not bad, but not great. However, they *actually* rang up at a promo price: FE was $20.99 and AW was $10.49, which is 60% off. MUCH better.

I suspect this is just an undocumented markdown to further clear out the large backlog of games, but it's theoretically possible that the cashiers are just incredibly ambivalent about the whole sale and just scanning everything at the highest discount possible, in which case people should try to use the check-out counter on the second floor. :)

If somebody who picks up a 360/PS3 game can confirm, that'd be great.

#38 Gamer SDP

Gamer SDP

not much of a gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 March 2009 - 05:01 PM

^ oh I might check Friday. anyone have news on the Union Sq one?

#39 Arakias

Arakias

Inferior Potassium

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 March 2009 - 02:58 PM

I bought Fire Emblem for the Wii and Advance Wars: Days of Ruin for the DS. FE was stickered at $50 and AW at $30. 30% off *should* have brought them to $35 and $21, respectively. Not bad, but not great. However, they *actually* rang up at a promo price: FE was $20.99 and AW was $10.49, which is 60% off. MUCH better.

Just this morning AW was $8.97 or something before tax.
Also signs now say 40-70% off but video games are still labeled as 30% off though they might be more.
Rock Band 1 and 2 (game only) were both $30 + tax.
If you ever needed a Fallout 3 collectors edition, this place has tons.

#40 Rave Child

Rave Child

Castanets!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 March 2009 - 03:33 PM

Anybody seen Hotel Dusk there? I might go tomorrow, but I will probably wait for the Union Square closing, since I'm usually too lazy to go to Times Square.

I saw one there last night.

Just this morning AW was $8.97 or something before tax.
Also signs now say 40-70% off but video games are still labeled as 30% off though they might be more.
Rock Band 1 and 2 (game only) were both $30 + tax.
If you ever needed a Fallout 3 collectors edition, this place has tons.

That's new from last night. Maybe I should have waited a day. I bought Fire Emblem last night and it ended up being 60% off, but I bought Atelier Iris 3 for the PS2 and it was only 30% off, so I'm not sure what's up with the discrepancy. Maybe I'll try some more stuff out later this week to see if anything else is the full 70% off like Advance Wars apparently was.

Edit - I'm talking about the Times Square one, which I assume is the one everyone else is talking about?
My Guide Trade List

Follow me on Twitter!

I am looking for the following items and will pay good money for them:
Suikoden II jewel case and manual:hot::hot::hot::hot:

Posted Image

#41 Arakias

Arakias

Inferior Potassium

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 March 2009 - 05:29 PM

Edit - I'm talking about the Times Square one, which I assume is the one everyone else is talking about?

Yeah, AW: Days of Ruin was 8.99 "Promo Price" with $0.75 cents tax.

#42 gimpeyjoe

gimpeyjoe

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 March 2009 - 06:14 PM

Union Square isn't phasing out untill Times Square closes its doors. It's like a zombie uprising, people. Tactical retreats.

#43 SithFran

SithFran

Baweep granaweep ninibong

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 March 2009 - 08:34 PM

Times square closes on the 31st, whatever is left is transferring to Union Square which starts in April.

Uh... trick question... dcfox waxes and JFD hasn't sprouted nub fuzz yet.

#44 espionage

espionage

Aging Hardcore Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 March 2009 - 03:08 AM

i think rock band stuff is 50% off now. i don't see any special editions left but tonight i picked up a 360 rock band 2 standalone drumset for $45 (only 2 left now for the 360 version).

it's so much better than the rock band 1 drumset!! wireless, pads are a lot softer and don't make much noise, the pedal is metal and doesn't always easily trigger when it's being fully depressed, the length of the cord to the foot pedal is longer now so it isn't pedal isn't half dangling when you're not on it, etc. i love it!
Posted Image
My Gaming Blog: http://levelingdown.com

#45 superdry

superdry

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 March 2009 - 12:00 AM

how much stuff is left at the store? I haven't had time to drop by, but I think I'll be able to do so this week.

I'll definitely be browsing around the Union Square location when their closing sale starts since I work nearby.

#46 psychoxfoo

psychoxfoo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 March 2009 - 03:09 PM

I just went again yesterday, rockband 2 drums are 60% off, games are only 40%, which is still pretty crappy. DVDs and blurays are somehow still only at 40%off, and they removed the buy 5 or more, get extra 15% thing. Their movies section totally got halved since last friday, so I guess they see no need in furthering reducing the prices so soon.

#47 gimpeyjoe

gimpeyjoe

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 March 2009 - 03:11 PM

Games were 40% yesterday, still plenty copies of Fallout3, Gears 2, Saints Row 2, Farcry 2, Many sports games, and a decient stock of DS games.

I picked up Gears and Harvey Birdman, so I'm pretty done with the Times Square vulturing. Hopefully I'll be able to pull some of the newer titles when Union starts sinking in 5 days.

#48 bmachine

bmachine

somewhat damaged

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 March 2009 - 04:42 PM

Heading into the city tonight for a show at Terminal 5 and I'm going to stop at the Times Square store on the way.

Hoping to snag Retro Game Challenge and maybe the Korg DS-10 thingamabob.

Posted Image
VGH#78: Forking Paths is now available
on iTunes, the Zune Marketplace and from http://vghangover.com.

Spoiler

#49 Rave Child

Rave Child

Castanets!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 March 2009 - 05:49 PM

Heading into the city tonight for a show at Terminal 5 and I'm going to stop at the Times Square store on the way.

Hoping to snag Retro Game Challenge and maybe the Korg DS-10 thingamabob.

I didn't see either there, otherwise I would have picked them up for myself. You could always get them at Amazon for B2G1.
My Guide Trade List

Follow me on Twitter!

Posted Image

#50 bmachine

bmachine

somewhat damaged

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 March 2009 - 07:33 PM

I didn't see either there, otherwise I would have picked them up for myself. You could always get them at Amazon for B2G1.

Ah, bummer. Still want to stop in a dig through what's left. Thanks!

#51 bmachine

bmachine

somewhat damaged

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 March 2009 - 06:47 PM

Wow...that place is totally picked over. The only thing I snagged yesterday was a Rock Band USB hub for $12. Couldn't even find any music I wanted.

#52 Rave Child

Rave Child

Castanets!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 March 2009 - 06:59 PM

Wow...that place is totally picked over. The only thing I snagged yesterday was a Rock Band USB hub for $12. Couldn't even find any music I wanted.

Yeah, I went on Friday and on Monday and the difference was pretty huge. There really isn't much else I want left there, unless it's something that survives to like 70% off. Luckily I picked up pretty much everything I wanted, except Etrian Odyssey II. Hopefully the Union Square store will have some good things on clearance, too.
My Guide Trade List

Follow me on Twitter!

Posted Image

#53 Gamer SDP

Gamer SDP

not much of a gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 March 2009 - 10:48 PM

I should've went back last week. Went today and the games selection I saw from several weeks ago was reduced crap. There were dozens of CE Fallout 3 for PS3 everywhere. I saw only one copy of Fable II LE. The only other game worth mentioning is AW Days of Ruin for the DS (about 6 copies).

#54 Angel Gamer

Angel Gamer

Posted 30 March 2009 - 12:00 AM

Can someone post the address of the Times Square location so I can go check this out please?

#55 wildcpac

wildcpac

Posted 30 March 2009 - 02:45 AM

It is right near MTV Studios and half a block away from Toys R Us. You cant miss it.

#56 Arakias

Arakias

Inferior Potassium

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 March 2009 - 04:45 AM

its closed and gone now. today was the last day. 60% off video games (mostly) in the end. tons of fallout 3 CE (PS3), Fracture (ps3) and Rockband game only

#57 gimpeyjoe

gimpeyjoe

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 March 2009 - 02:36 PM

If anyone could stop by the Union Square location before 3:30 and let me know if it's started over there yet that would be awesome. I don't know if they're giving it a grace period before they start that up again.

#58 psychoxfoo

psychoxfoo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 March 2009 - 03:07 PM

so... it's already closed? I thought today was going to be the last day.. was gonna check it out on my way home.

#59 chanmancan

chanmancan

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 April 2009 - 05:41 PM

Hey, does anyone know what are the discount at the Union Square Virgin store? Thank.

#60 Neoblaze181

Neoblaze181

Posted 03 April 2009 - 06:21 PM

I'll be passing by Union Square in a couple of hours so I'll let you all know what's up.