Photo
- - - - -

The Wii U Pre-Order Thread - $349.99/$299.99 - 11/18/12

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8921 replies to this topic

#3601 irideabike

irideabike

Posted 24 October 2012 - 03:49 PM

ya, but (imo) seeing as though they are shipping more than 4x (if they ship six million) the amount of wii u's than they did the original wii I just don't see a massive shortage. I probably will be wrong, and I'm sure right away at release a shortage wouldn't suprise me (considering there are tons of people buying extras to profit).

There are no shortcuts. No do-overs. What happened, happened. Trust me. I know. All of this matters.

Madden 13 SB Champ in the CAG gentleman's league.

#3602 Serpentor

Serpentor

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 October 2012 - 03:50 PM

I'm gonna wait for a deal on this. If no launch deal, then at least buying from BBY net me reward points.

#3603 Gareee

Gareee

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 October 2012 - 03:59 PM

I'm guessing we'll see an initial planned shortage, to get buzz going in the press, and then the 2nd week on december the floodgates will open, and they'll be all over the place readily available.

Hungry Christmas shoppers might drain that flood after the "shortage" hype.

And I STILL can't find anyone listing the Wii U Skylanders giants Portal owners set anywhere even though nintendo has news about its availability.

I'm hoping we see some figure sales over the holidays to get my wife's fix for it on cheap.

#3604 fshaia

fshaia

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 October 2012 - 04:54 PM

I was told that the preordered consoles would be set aside. I'm not holding my breath though because she also said that I could pick it up from any Target that I want lol.

Yea they dont take your info down or anytihing, unless they ask for a receipt from the store you got the pre-order card from, how are they going to hold it for you ? all the cards are the same ?

#3605 bojay1997

bojay1997

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 October 2012 - 04:56 PM

Because people (rightly imo) assume that Nintendo would have learned from their mistake last time when they left tons of money on the table by not having enough supply for 2 years.

But I think the 5.5-7 million number shows that they have learned. As someone else pointed out, that's more than 4X (and it could be as high as 6X) the supply that Nintendo made available in the US during the six weeks of the Wii launch window. In the November - end of the year 2006 period of the Wii launch, Nintendo only made available and sold 1.25 million Wii units in the US. In fact, by the end of March 2007, they had sold only a total of 2.37 million units in the US. It took them until almost the end of 2007 to deliver just over 8 million units.

It makes me think that the fact that Walmart is still taking preorders at many locations is not a mistake and that this might be available pretty easily at retail once the initial launch day frenzy has ended.

#3606 Flame Killa

Flame Killa

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 October 2012 - 05:22 PM

I figure they'll probably get WiiUs in a week or so before release. I'm just going to call themand make sure that they set the layway ones aside.

#3607 Confucius

Confucius

Corporate Shill

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 October 2012 - 05:41 PM

But I think the 5.5-7 million number shows that they have learned. As someone else pointed out, that's more than 4X (and it could be as high as 6X) the supply that Nintendo made available in the US during the six weeks of the Wii launch window. In the November - end of the year 2006 period of the Wii launch, Nintendo only made available and sold 1.25 million Wii units in the US. In fact, by the end of March 2007, they had sold only a total of 2.37 million units in the US. It took them until almost the end of 2007 to deliver just over 8 million units.

It makes me think that the fact that Walmart is still taking preorders at many locations is not a mistake and that this might be available pretty easily at retail once the initial launch day frenzy has ended.

I don't think these will be that rare either - just rare enough for buzz.

I'm not saying Nintendo is making a fatal mistake or anything. Without seeing the model, it's hard to critique. But I gotta think that they'll easily sell out 10M units. But maybe they felt burned by the 3DS launch. I dunno.

Ees7Y.jpg

I'm 100% shocked that books still exist in today's day and age. I thought they'd be out by now. They make up like 1% of today's entertainment and unless you're 60 or older, stray away from books and start emersing yourself with real entertainment.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Codes for Free / Codes for Trade

#3608 BigRedWhat

BigRedWhat

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 October 2012 - 05:45 PM

Isnt the 5-7 million figure the # analysts are using for worldwide availability, not US availability? Didnt they have to move the european date back because of lack of anticipated supply.

#3609 D.Choy

D.Choy

Posted 24 October 2012 - 05:58 PM

My Target had a stack of the preorder cards. At least 10+ for the basic model and only 4-5 for the deluxe model.

The reservation card states it costs $5 to reserve but when they rang me up at the register, it only came up as $1.00 per card. Can anyone confirm this as well? I went to customer service and talked with them. They too scanned the card and it came up as $1.00.

The cashier scanned the barcode as instructed on the back of the card. On the receipt it says: "207070473 WIIU PRESELL N $1.00 (I preordered the deluxe model).

#3610 deminan

deminan

Posted 24 October 2012 - 05:59 PM

I don't know if someone has already posted about this but last night I went to Target and I noticed there are Wii U pre order cards on display both basic and deluxe bundles. I'm pretty sure this is very YMMV but it's worth a look.

#3611 deminan

deminan

Posted 24 October 2012 - 06:02 PM

The same thing happened to me yesterday, I'm going back to Target today to confirm that I did indeed pre order the Wii U

My Target had a stack of the preorder cards. At least 10+ for the basic model and only 4-5 for the deluxe model.

The reservation card states it costs $5 to reserve but when they rang me up at the register, it only came up as $1.00 per card. Can anyone confirm this as well? I went to customer service and talked with them. They too scanned the card and it came up as $1.00.

The cashier scanned the barcode as instructed on the back of the card. On the receipt it says: "207070473 WIIU PRESELL N $1.00 (I preordered the deluxe model).

#3612 dorkyden

dorkyden

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 October 2012 - 06:03 PM

you misread it. it cost $1 to "buy" the pre-order cards. when you go back to pick up your preorder wii u you get a free $5 gift cards (which is the bottom portion of the card)

the cards are identical except the bottom $5 gift card parts. but since they only scan the top UPC they cant keep track of the pre-orders

Join Perk and make easy Amazon credit 

Join Swagbucks and get up to $5 Amazon credit every 9 days! 

#3613 D.Choy

D.Choy

Posted 24 October 2012 - 06:19 PM

you misread it. it cost $1 to "buy" the pre-order cards. when you go back to pick up your preorder wii u you get a free $5 gift cards (which is the bottom portion of the card)

the cards are identical except the bottom $5 gift card parts. but since they only scan the top UPC they cant keep track of the pre-orders

Yeah you are right about it only being $1. I forgot that Target only charges $1 for preorders. Now about the UPC thing. The bottom UPC is also identical to other cards as well. Even if they did scan the bottom it wouldn't matter.

I am sure they have some way to keep track of the cards they sell. I am guessing each store only gets a certain amount of cards so they will probably allocate it that way. With that being said, what's stopping me from taking that preorder card to another Target? I honestly don't take these cards too seriously. I am sure we all will probably have to go in a few days early and talk with some people in customer service to see how they are going about allocating preorders to customers.

#3614 skiizim

skiizim

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 October 2012 - 06:23 PM

I played the Wii U today, I was neither impressed or unimpressed. I'm excited to see what else they can do with the technology, the game pad felt good in my hands, it's going to be tough on small kids though. Still looking forward to it, I'm #4 at my store so I only have a little over 3 weeks left.

#3615 bojay1997

bojay1997

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 October 2012 - 06:24 PM

Isnt the 5-7 million figure the # analysts are using for worldwide availability, not US availability? Didnt they have to move the european date back because of lack of anticipated supply.

I checked the fiscal report Nintendo just released and you are correct, the 5.5 is a worldwide projection. In looking at the worldwide Wii numbers, they actually sold 5.8 million by March 2007, so this could mean either supply will be just as tight for the WiiU or maybe they just are being very conservative given the slow early sales of the 3DS.

#3616 rayfrombk

rayfrombk

CAG in Training

• CAG in Training

Posted 24 October 2012 - 06:31 PM

Yeah you are right about it only being $1. I forgot that Target only charges $1 for preorders. Now about the UPC thing. The bottom UPC is also identical to other cards as well. Even if they did scan the bottom it wouldn't matter.

I am sure they have some way to keep track of the cards they sell. I am guessing each store only gets a certain amount of cards so they will probably allocate it that way. With that being said, what's stopping me from taking that preorder card to another Target? I honestly don't take these cards too seriously. I am sure we all will probably have to go in a few days early and talk with some people in customer service to see how they are going about allocating preorders to customers.

They will likely require a receipt which states the store # along with the card. What's stopping you from picking up a card and walking out the store without paying (besides the alarm, of course.. if it even rings for that).

#3617 Confucius

Confucius

Corporate Shill

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 October 2012 - 06:43 PM

Nothing but why would anyone do this except for shits and giggles. I'm sure there'll also be an accounting in the distribution center closer to released date. They're not gonna send 50 pre-order units to a store that has only 10 purchased cards. Or 10 to a store with 50 purchases.

Ees7Y.jpg

I'm 100% shocked that books still exist in today's day and age. I thought they'd be out by now. They make up like 1% of today's entertainment and unless you're 60 or older, stray away from books and start emersing yourself with real entertainment.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Codes for Free / Codes for Trade

#3618 azngtlman

azngtlman

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 October 2012 - 07:30 PM

Picked up a deluxe pre-order at Target today. Never pre-ordered anything from them before, does anyone know how reliable they will be in terms of actually having a unit put aside for you on release date?

#3619 skiizim

skiizim

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 October 2012 - 07:47 PM

Picked up a deluxe pre-order at Target today. Never pre-ordered anything from them before, does anyone know how reliable they will be in terms of actually having a unit put aside for you on release date?

I think Target is one of the worst places for Pre-Order but I could be surprised, good luck to you!

#3620 mitemouse

mitemouse

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 October 2012 - 07:52 PM

If you are worried about not getting your target preorder, just make sure to call them a couple days in advance to make sure they put it aside for you..

Also i am keeping my receipt with my preorder card so i can prove where i bought the reservation card..
All the targets in my area received 5 preorder for each system.. They should easily be able to track how many were purchased at their store.

#3621 lilseung

lilseung

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 October 2012 - 07:54 PM

Was Wii hard to get after release if you didn't pre-order?
Come check out my Trade thread!

#3622 perfectsil

perfectsil

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:03 PM

Was Wii hard to get after release if you didn't pre-order?

I got my Wii by going to walmart on black friday at 10am, there were plenty of them.

#3623 azngtlman

azngtlman

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:05 PM

I think Target is one of the worst places for Pre-Order but I could be surprised, good luck to you!

Yeah, I wouldn't be shocked if I show up that day and they don't have one for us.

#3624 rayfrombk

rayfrombk

CAG in Training

• CAG in Training

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:15 PM

If you are worried about not getting your target preorder, just make sure to call them a couple days in advance to make sure they put it aside for you..

Also i am keeping my receipt with my preorder card so i can prove where i bought the reservation card..
All the targets in my area received 5 preorder for each system.. They should easily be able to track how many were purchased at their store.

Yeap. I mean, does it say anywhere that we don't need to bring the receipt with the card when we pick it up? It wouldn't make sense even if it did.

#3625 madcatz1999

madcatz1999

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:43 PM

Nintendo's consolidated financial highlights were released today. They expect to sell 5.5 million units worldwide by the end of the fiscal year (March 13, 2013). Where is everyone getting the idea that they are supplying "4 to 6 times" the amount of Wii U's to the US at launch as they did Wiis?

Link, BTW:
http://www.nintendo....012/121024e.pdf
Last page has projected sales numbers in number of units.

#3626 coopscohen

coopscohen

All Skill, No Luck

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:47 PM

Spoiler

BTW Nothing left in Gurnee IL ;)

Anyone find it weird the back of the cards says do not sell after 12/30/12 when the release date is 11/18?

#3627 BigRedWhat

BigRedWhat

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:48 PM

I got my Wii by going to walmart on black friday at 10am, there were plenty of them.

Man, as someone who had to sit outside a Target at 4 am with 100 other people three weeks before Christmas, I envy you. My Wal-Mart had no stock for months.

#3628 paulwekiva

paulwekiva

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:52 PM

Nintendo's consolidated financial highlights were released today. They expect to sell 5.5 million units worldwide by the end of the fiscal year (March 13, 2013). Where is everyone getting the idea that they are supplying "4 to 6 times" the amount of Wii U's to the US at launch as they did Wiis?

Link, BTW:
http://www.nintendo....012/121024e.pdf
Last page has projected sales numbers in number of units.

I was just about to post this. They also reported that they will be selling the console at a loss. The gamepad must be pretty expensive to manufacture (?).

November 18th - March 31st = 19 weeks

Per Week Average Wii-U's (sold) worldwide = 289,473

TOTAL GUESSTIMATION - AVERAGE total sold (available?) U.S. per week = 96,000 (IF U.S.A. gets 1/3 of those 5.5 million units - don't have a clue about historical allotments to USA from Nintendo during launch window - can someone provide?)

Let's not turn this info into a profit/non-profit argument, people!

#3629 madcatz1999

madcatz1999

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:58 PM

I was just about to post this. They also reported that they will be selling the console at a loss. The gamepad must be pretty expensive to manufacture (?)

I actually thought that's what they meant when I first read that, too, but I don't think it is. What I think they're saying is that since the console was started being produced in September, but won't be sold until this coming up quarter, that it was costing them profit in that quarter.

#3630 spauldingfan

spauldingfan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:03 PM

I was just about to post this. They also reported that they will be selling the console at a loss. The gamepad must be pretty expensive to manufacture (?).

November 18th - March 31st = 19 weeks

Per Week Average Wii-U's (sold) worldwide = 289,473

TOTAL GUESSTIMATION - AVERAGE total sold (available?) U.S. per week = 96,000 (IF U.S.A. gets 1/3 of those 5.5 million units - don't have a clue about historical allotments to USA from Nintendo during launch window - can someone provide?)

Let's not turn this info into a profit/non-profit argument, people!

I think M'erica will get closer to 1/2 of the systems for the first two months. But that would mean we only get 145k the first week. I think the ps3 launched with 220k worldwide at launch so this could be rather tricky to find. Especially since they are selling at a loss now.