The Wii U Pre-Order Thread - $349.99/$299.99 - 11/18/12

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8921 replies to this topic

#7351 PaleGreen

PaleGreen

Take as needed for pain

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:16 PM

This will be my first "Midnight Madness" event at Walmart. I'm not sure what to expect. My local store's typical late night crowd matches, and often surpasses the stereotypes.

It'll probably be less of a sausagefest than other gaming events, but I'm uncertain the addition of clueless soccer moms will be an improvement. :cold:

#7352 pjb16

pjb16

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:16 PM

How?

By using a "remind me list" and finding available units at my local store, and subsequently ordering one.

By making it up

Yup, I'm making it up. :roll:

#7353 CHADSTONe

CHADSTONe

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:23 PM

Went to my local Walmart just to try and get it early. Walked up to layaway and said I was here to pay off on a layaway. She pulled up the info and said asked how much I'd like to pay. I told her the whole bill. She walked to the back and I got a chubby. She walked back out empty handed and said I can sell it but I can't sell it. I was confused as someone in the back yelled something out to her. She walked to the back again. Omg I can almost taste that Wii U. Then she walked back out and said we can't give it to you until midnight and if you pay it off now you might not be guaranteed to get one. They did say the layaway department would be handling the Wii U sales at midnight. 24 hour walmart btw.

#7354 thegarageband

thegarageband

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:25 PM

So any Cagers going to the Porter Ranch area tonight?
Dongs.

#7355 Aejeck

Aejeck

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:29 PM

By using a "remind me list" and finding available units at my local store, and subsequently ordering one.

Yup, I'm making it up. :roll:

Thanks for the info. My Walmart had no idea what the hell was going on today and the layaway people said they only had 2-3 preorders, so why not try it out.

#7356 TrumpetDan

TrumpetDan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:29 PM

Just got the confirmation texts from Gamestop about an hour ago that my Wii U and NSMBU are at the store and ready to be picked up tomorrow! Now to call them and find out if they are indeed opening a couple hours early like they told me previously...

#7357 Bazz

Bazz

SamuelElbaz.Blogspot.com

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:30 PM

So any Cagers going to the Porter Ranch area tonight?

Do they have extra units?

I need 1 more sign up if anyone could help please. http://www.yourfree360games.com/index.php?ref=244985
SamuelElbaz.Blogspot.com-Do me a favor and check it out. Would love to hear your feedback;)

#7358 soxxx

soxxx

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:31 PM

would they have one for everyone in line. im thinking about heading to the city at 10pm, and just waiting for the cashier.

Yes they will, I recall the Wii had 3000 people in line and it wrapped around blocks and blocks but the store itself had over 5000 so it didnt even come close to selling out.

I can actually say that you can walk in tommorow at 10 or so and get it. The wait might just be very long,

#7359 pjb16

pjb16

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:31 PM

He's not making it up. You can pre-order for In-Store Pick-Up right now, though it kind of requires a "glitch" to get it added to your cart. Check SD, as I'm not posting it here.. Walmart cancelled all my orders I tried with it, but some people have had better luck getting it to work.

Yup, mine just got cancelled too. Oh well, no big deal. I'm probably better off not getting one right away.

#7360 bill123

bill123

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:32 PM

Hey anyone in the columbus, OH area looking for one the independent game store I work for will have 3 per store. PM ME if you're looking.

55877.png
563306.png

#7361 darksurtur

darksurtur

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:37 PM

they do midnight releases for games because anyone can just go to another store and buy one, so there is competition to sell these first.

with the Wii U they can't just go to another store and get one so why should a store bother.

Exactly. Another reason for midnight launches might be manufacturer incentives - e.g. Nintendo promises to send extra units or discounted units to stores who sell X copies with Y hours of release. The Wii U will sell out its first shipment quickly, so there is no need to do this.

Absent the manufacturer-imposed price cap, the normal market response to this situation would be for retailers to increase prices to be able to just barely sell off their initial allotment. If that could occur, we'd probably see more midnight launches.

#7362 chasedown

chasedown

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:39 PM

Working at Gamestop for a few years, I can tell you this. Doing a midnight release for Nintendo games suck since they usually fall on a Sunday release date. We had a midnight for Super Smash Bro. Brawl and that was a clusterduck of a time after closing the store. Breaking it down to two weeks, Week 1 ends on a Saturday where Week 2 starts on a Sunday. If we did not close the store down by Saturday night, we would have to close it on Sunday. The problem doing this is that it would close both Week 1 and Week 2 down, messing up our opening/closing process thus forcing us to call up our technical support line to help fix the issue. Granted, this was back when SSBB came out and Gamestop could have fixed said issue but I doubt they would.

#7363 Todmicahels

Todmicahels

CAG in Training

• CAG in Training

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:41 PM

Then she walked back out and said we can't give it to you until midnight and if you pay it off now you might not be guaranteed to get one.

This doesn't make any sense at all, if they already have your name on a Wii U system. Especially since we are less than 24hours away from launch. I paid mine off, panicked, and called my walmart and they said I was still gauranteed a WII U.

#7364 iflabs

iflabs

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:43 PM

Is WM's site to store hours the same as layaway?

#7365 thegarageband

thegarageband

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:44 PM

Working at Gamestop for a few years, I can tell you this. Doing a midnight release for Nintendo games suck since they usually fall on a Sunday release date. We had a midnight for Super Smash Bro. Brawl and that was a clusterduck of a time after closing the store. Breaking it down to two weeks, Week 1 ends on a Saturday where Week 2 starts on a Sunday. If we did not close the store down by Saturday night, we would have to close it on Sunday. The problem doing this is that it would close both Week 1 and Week 2 down, messing up our opening/closing process thus forcing us to call up our technical support line to help fix the issue. Granted, this was back when SSBB came out and Gamestop could have fixed said issue but I doubt they would.

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Dongs.

#7366 chasedown

chasedown

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:47 PM

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Excuse me?

#7367 bill123

bill123

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:48 PM

Is this english?

55877.png
563306.png

#7368 mayonaze03

mayonaze03

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:50 PM

Hey anyone in the columbus, OH area looking for one the independent game store I work for will have 3 per store. PM ME if you're looking.

I'm on mobile so I can't pm but I'm in Columbus Ohio and am interested. Can you send me details?

#7369 Jello1996

Jello1996

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:50 PM

lol. I read that like 10 times and got dizzy. Happy to see I'm not just having comprehension problems.

#7370 PaleGreen

PaleGreen

Take as needed for pain

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:52 PM

This must be a test. Focus, focusssss..... :-k

#7371 BackInBlack

BackInBlack

Fisher Price DSL

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:54 PM

http://knowyourmeme....-look-more-like
StarCraft 2 - Roses

#7372 OrigamiDrill

OrigamiDrill

CAG in Training

• CAG in Training

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:55 PM

Kind of a long shot: Anyone in Santa Cruz, CA planning on lining up anywhere tonight?

#7373 chasedown

chasedown

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:56 PM

My brain hurts now...

#7374 advanced

advanced

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:57 PM

I believe he's saying that, on Sunday midnight launches, they need to close the store before Midnight, and then reopen the store after midnight due to the way they have their work week set up.

#7375 SEH

SEH

Paul's sister is an alien

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:57 PM

Posted Image

Lm9Ooqv.jpg

#7376 PaleGreen

PaleGreen

Take as needed for pain

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:58 PM

http://knowyourmeme....-look-more-like

Haha - at least it originated in a Wii game thread. The "surprisingly sorta on-topic post" du jour.

#7377 breakfuss

breakfuss

Malicious Baiter ♥

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:59 PM

:applause: lol!

#7378 cdoggcmu

cdoggcmu

Posted 18 November 2012 - 12:03 AM

I'm first in line at Meijer in Riverview, MI. They have 4 deluxe and 4 basic. First come, first served

#7379 TheNeck

TheNeck

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 November 2012 - 12:04 AM

anybody in southern california around the inland empire to be exact, that are going to line up at either bestbuy/walmart/ect? just curious

#7380 Reraise

Reraise

No Sale, No Buy!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 November 2012 - 12:04 AM

Just got my Gamestop call from Ivy, so i called the store.

They got enough to cover all preorders and at least 2-6 on the wait list at my small store, plus a mountain of accessories. Not doing anything special, normal Sunday hours (11am)