The Wii U Pre-Order Thread - $349.99/$299.99 - 11/18/12

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8921 replies to this topic

#8341 ProppaT

ProppaT

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:52 PM

Component and composite are two very different things. The main difference between component and HDMI is that the former is an analog signal, and thus susceptible to cable quality issues, interference, etc., but in the absence of those factors the picture quality between HDMI and component is basically the same.

In a perfect world, HDMI and component have the same image quality. The limiting factor these days are TV internals. Analog signal is an after thought for many manufacturers these days, so with many newer TVs HDMI is the only way to get acceptable image quality. You're correct, component and HDMI standards are capable of the same quality, but it all depends on the analog processor in your TV and how well the TVs upscaler handles analog signals.

Edited by ProppaT, 19 November 2012 - 03:15 PM.

#8342 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:52 PM

Component and composite are two very different things. The main difference between component and HDMI is that the former is an analog signal, and thus susceptible to cable quality issues, interference, etc., but in the absence of those factors the picture quality between HDMI and component is basically the same.

Component can't push 1080p (or at least it isn't allowed to).

#8343 bboy

bboy

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:55 PM

Does the Wii USB ethernet adapter work with Wii U? If it does it could make a really huge difference here. I don't see why it couldn't work but this is nintendo after all.

It does work. During initial setup, when you get to the internet connection step, there's an option to change from wireless to the wired connection. The update took around an hour for me.

#8344 sengar

sengar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:02 PM

Component can't push 1080p (or at least it isn't allowed to).

It can, but some devices don't allow a 1080P signal over component.

#8345 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:08 PM

It can, but some devices don't allow a 1080P signal over component.

That's why I added the part in parenthesis. AACS devices (most stuff out there) can't do it.

http://en.wikipedia...._Content_System

And it gets worse for component.
http://news.cnet.com...20042864-1.html

#8346 sengar

sengar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:13 PM

That's why I added the part in parenthesis. AACS devices (most stuff out there) can't do it.

http://en.wikipedia...._Content_System

And it gets worse for component.
http://news.cnet.com...20042864-1.html

You're absolutely right, I was just pointing out that it's not a limitation inherent to the technology. Thankfully for the media companies no one ever found a way to circumvent those limitations and rip HD content without resorting to analog capture. :D

#8347 Blaster man

Blaster man

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:16 PM

You're absolutely right, I was just pointing out that it's not a limitation inherent to the technology. Thankfully for the media companies no one ever found a way to circumvent those limitations and rip HD content without resorting to analog capture. :D

Personally, I prefer HDMI since that doesn't require me to run 5 cables.

#8348 Sludgepond

Sludgepond

The Trigger

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:32 PM

Anyone have an issue with their surround sound and the Wii U? I have to set the system to stereo sound to hear all the sounds in ZombiU. When I have it set to surround in the system settings I don't hear all the sounds. I.e. reload sounds, some impact sounds and other misc. sounds don't play on surround setting.

#8349 HydroX

HydroX

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:36 PM

This is very YMMV. My order fell through because my target didn't get any deluxe models for shipment. I went to another Target and they said that they can only honor the card if you bought it at that particular store. They really aren't supposed to honor something like this because it throws off the preorder scheme. If I take a unit from Store B instead of my original Store A, then the person who ordered at Store B might miss out on the console they preordered there.

Obviously it's a "loophole" in their preorder system. An easy fix would be to affix a customer's phone number or Redcard # to the preorder card purchase and that item would be marked as it comes in stock.

Although, this wouldn't work if your store never got allocation of deluxe systems, which I find odd in itself.

#8350 omyard

omyard

dreaming neon black

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:45 PM

Your Wii U makes your Wii games look graphically in the same ballpark as 360 and PS3 games?

Okay.

Eh, it's new system glasses. People do it all the time. I remember when the PS3 added the ability to upscale and smooth PS2 games. If you smoothed them you got rid of jaggies, but blurred everything and upscaling didn't do anything to enhance the look of the games. Yet with both people were saying PS2 games looked as good as PS3 or 360 games.

I'd imagine some people were running composite cables on the Wii and now that they're seeing some of those games via HDMI they're seeing what they were missing before. It seems like common sense that most people would've upgraded to component cables, but when I worked retail and the Wii came out too many people didn't care about upgrading to a better quality cable and were fine with what came in the box.

#8351 maximumzero

maximumzero

Seriously, quit it.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:48 PM

Technically the wrong place to post this but I thought I'd share anyway.

Out with the old.

Posted Image

In with the new.

Posted Image

I'm never gonna finish Halo 4 at this rate.

Most excitingly, I can now play Wii games on my iMac display. The HDMI adapter I purchased for my Wii previously didn't work. (It looks like poo, obviously, but my iMac is bigger than my TV and the panel itself is much nicer.)

#8352 Drclaw411

Drclaw411

I miss Cartoon Orbit

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:56 PM

While I was in picking mine up at Gamestop. Someone called in looking for a 2nd Wii Padlet. The associate claimed they were getting them in next week to the caller. I said, wow, nice lie. He says, "it gets ppl to come in my store". What a douche I thought.

Lol padlet

#8353 Friend of Sonic

Friend of Sonic

Toneman.org coming soon..

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:06 PM

Lol padlet

I kind of like it. Pad and tablet put together. Plus it sounds cute so it'll get the girl gamer demographic. Someone draw this thing with a cute piglet face and accompanying logo.
You hurt the right person and you're wrong for life.

#8354 Gareee

Gareee

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:10 PM

Someone said the Wii U does not support 3D.

I just read that assassin's creed 3 not only supports 3D, but ALSO supports it on the gamepad!

Why Nintendo didn't latch on to this as a feature to advertise is beyond me!

Also, of note.. you have to use the home key on the gamepad to enable your freindlist be enabled in the Miiverse. 8/ and thats not mentioned anywhere at all.

Has anyone found a good wii U forum for support yet? I'm specifically looking for network connect details... I suspect the wii U does not use the wifi 11 channel, and I have to use that to avoid interference from neighbor's wifi. And there is virtually no way I can tell to check the WiiU's network speed, since the included browser doesn;t even have flash 7 support! (And flash 11 is what is the most current version.)

Unforgivable.

Oh, and all those reports about Mass Effect3 having poor framerates and glitches on the Wii U? Not from what we saw in 2 hours of play last night. it ran and looked fantastic, and lookd more "real" than our PS3 version.

#8355 sharpeone

sharpeone

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:16 PM

Oh, and all those reports about Mass Effect3 having poor framerates and glitches on the Wii U? Not from what we saw in 2 hours of play last night. it ran and looked fantastic, and lookd more "real" than our PS3 version.

Does Mass Effect 3 support gameplay completely on the gamepad? I've been toying with the idea of taking my Batman AC back and exchanging for ME3 if so. Best Buy didn't have ME3 out on the shelves when I pricematched TRU B1G 40% off so I ended up with NSMBU and Batman. I really wanted games I could play on the gamepad while the wife watched television.

#8356 psunami

psunami

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:16 PM

I just read that assassin's creed 3 not only supports 3D, but ALSO supports it on the gamepad!

So, the glasses sync with the TV and the Gamepad? How would that work?

#8357 deadkode

deadkode

savior of the vita

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:28 PM

is it active or passive?

#8358 Drclaw411

Drclaw411

I miss Cartoon Orbit

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:31 PM

Also, of note.. you have to use the home key on the gamepad to enable your freindlist be enabled in the Miiverse. 8/ and thats not mentioned anywhere at all.

Has anyone found a good wii U forum for support yet? I'm specifically looking for network connect details... I suspect the wii U does not use the wifi 11 channel, and I have to use that to avoid interference from neighbor's wifi. And there is virtually no way I can tell to check the WiiU's network speed, since the included browser doesn;t even have flash 7 support! (And flash 11 is what is the most current version.)

Unforgivable.

I would love for Nintendo to release a glasses free 3D gamepad. You have to think the idea has come up.

#8359 jacknicklson

jacknicklson

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:32 PM

Technically the wrong place to post this but I thought I'd share anyway.

Out with the old.

In with the new.

I'm never gonna finish Halo 4 at this rate.

Most excitingly, I can now play Wii games on my iMac display. The HDMI adapter I purchased for my Wii previously didn't work. (It looks like poo, obviously, but my iMac is bigger than my TV and the panel itself is much nicer.)

What do you use to get an input on your iMac display? I always assumed something existed but never checked
Posted Image

#8360 MetalSlugger

MetalSlugger

Wubadubadub, is that true?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:33 PM

They are terrible. I bought the official ones with 2 stylus. The first one left a dirty smear when i removed the numbered sticker on the front. The second was already scratched up as they dont come with 2 protective covers like phone ones do, just one to stick and the front has a sticker on it.

REALLY disappointed, 10$ down the drain.

It does have two protective covers, one on each side. You're not supposed to take the stickers off, you're supposed to use them to take the films off. I did the same thing initially but figured it out.

uc.png

#8361 therealdeal19

therealdeal19

GIANT ENEMY CRABS!!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:50 PM

For anyone that ordered the Target bundle on Friday: Has anyone's tracking information updated?

I received two separate tracking numbers, one for NSMB and the other for the console itself. The console tracking information has remained the same since Nov 16.

"A UPS shipping label has been created. Once the shipment arrives at our facility, the tracking status--including the scheduled delivery date--will be updated."

Hopefully, it actually updates tonight.

516078.png
TheHolyPickle.jpg

#8362 CHADSTONe

CHADSTONe

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:59 PM

I bought that $10 invisishell by rocketfish for the gamepad. It's worth it. Even has its own nice little stand built in.

#8363 HydroX

HydroX

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:04 PM

So where was it people were finding the cheap FlingSmash bundles? Can't seem to find the page/post that mentioned it.

I bought that $10 invisishell by rocketfish for the gamepad. It's worth it. Even has its own nice little stand built in.

I wanted to get it but I wasn't sure how good it would look/if it would really even work. I might pick it up later when I return my white pro controller.

#8364 beingageek

beingageek

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:05 PM

So where was it people were finding the cheap FlingSmash bundles? Can't seem to find the page/post that mentioned it.

http://www.toysrus.c...dFindSrc=search

#8365 cakefoo

cakefoo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:07 PM

What do you mean? Red/blue glasses?

#8366 HydroX

HydroX

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:09 PM

http://www.toysrus.c...dFindSrc=search

Thank you! I was making the rounds (Amazon, Newegg, etc) and hadn't gotten to TRU yet. lol

Much appreciated.

#8367 evisto

evisto

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:23 PM

For anyone that ordered the Target bundle on Friday: Has anyone's tracking information updated?

I received two separate tracking numbers, one for NSMB and the other for the console itself. The console tracking information has remained the same since Nov 16.

"A UPS shipping label has been created. Once the shipment arrives at our facility, the tracking status--including the scheduled delivery date--will be updated."

Hopefully, it actually updates tonight.

I am in the exact same boat as you... At this point, I am thinking we won't get these until tomorrow.

=(
Posted Image
Posted Image

#8368 Metal Militia

Metal Militia

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:26 PM

Yeah I bought it too and I really like it. Also the Wii U tablet with the invisishell fits perfectly in the Wii U charging cradle if anybody is wondering

#8369 Japakneez

Japakneez

You are big foo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:28 PM

Wiiu remote plus is the same as regular remote plus?

#8370 thrinn

thrinn

I'd buy that for a dollar!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:30 PM

Wiiu remote plus is the same as regular remote plus?

I believe so.