The Wii U Pre-Order Thread - $349.99/$299.99 - 11/18/12

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8921 replies to this topic

#1261 cartman414

cartman414

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 September 2012 - 07:38 PM

If anyone has a Blockbuster still in there area they said they will be selling the Wii U on launch day. That is one place that people may have forgot that they could pick one up.

Called one nearby and the guy told me the company gave no word about preorders.

#1262 skylimitdm

skylimitdm

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 September 2012 - 07:52 PM

Called one nearby and the guy told me the company gave no word about preorders.

Yes they are not taking pre orders right now but they will be selling it during the holidays.

#1263 a123slonky

a123slonky

Posted 17 September 2012 - 07:55 PM

Hey everyone!
Does anyone know if it is standard for Best Buy to charge ahead of time? I just got charged the full amount.
Thanks in advance.

#1264 ProppaT

ProppaT

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 September 2012 - 08:00 PM

Hey everyone!
Does anyone know if it is standard for Best Buy to charge ahead of time? I just got charged the full amount.
Thanks in advance.

You'll more than likely see the money go back to the account within an hour or so depending on your card. Companies regularly do a "test charge" to verify that a) you're not using a single purchase card number -and- b) the purchase doesn't go over your card's limit. They won't expect you to pay in full until your product is in hand.

#1265 Dr. Dib

Dr. Dib

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 September 2012 - 08:07 PM

That's how the three Target locations in the Los Angeles area I shopped at handled Wii preorders as well. In fact, they also handled subsequent deliveries that way and people would hear rumors and show up each morning until the deliveries arrived and then they would do a line/voucher walk-in as well.

That's how the Target I went to did it, though they ended up with extra Wiis. I also saw an online video of a Target doing the same thing, though they got t-shirts. Hopefully they use this system again.

Gamestop Preorders for new systems are a crap-shoot.

Putting your money down does "Not" guarantee you a system as they say it does.

I will say that lately they have been trying not to take to many reserves so they can fill the demand based on what they get. The problem is, they don't know how many they are going to get.

Way back in the day when I got my 360, they did it by the list in the store. We had something like 240 reserves of the 360 and they only got 16 in the store on day one. That is it. Luckily I was 3rd on the list, behind two employees. It was nice, no need to wait in line. Of the 16 that came in there was probably 6 of us there to pick it up.

Anyways, the lists are no more and instead of first reserve first get based on when you reserved it, its more like you better stand in line really early on launch because its likely they wont have enough even if you reserved. And it doesn't matter if you reserved the first day you could or the last, the further you are in the front of that line, the better chance you will get one.

Hey, at least they will tell people in line to go home that are to far in line to get one. lol

So to be honest, the best chance to get one will most likely be from somewhere that is NOT reserving it in store. Show up early make it known what your there for and start the line. Then you will get have a good chance at getting one.

For the last two major console launches, PS3 and Wii, Gamestop set out limits on the number of preorders that each store got. Most stores sold out in minutes, though some were available a little longer. I did remember hearing rumors Gamestop was getting more Wiis on launch day, but the Gamestop near me at least did not have any extras.

For Wii U it seems like they had some allotment, but I have no idea how they're going to do the preorders. I don't think the Vita or 3DS had major rushes when they came out, and besides Christmas shopping, there hasn't been a big console launch since 2006 though so I don't know how we can be certain how they'll be doing preorders.

I'll still take your advice and be there early. I live pretty close to the GameStop I preordered at, so it's not too big of an issue to go back and forth every few hours to see if a line has formed. Besides the cold weather.

#1266 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 September 2012 - 08:15 PM

For Wii U it seems like they had some allotment, but I have no idea how they're going to do the preorders. I don't think the Vita or 3DS had major rushes when they came out, and besides Christmas shopping, there hasn't been a big console launch since 2006 though so I don't know how we can be certain how they'll be doing preorders.

The 3DS had a decent rush but Nintendo got out more than enough consoles if you wanted one. I mean yeah Gamestop might of only got enough for preorders but you could walk in to a wal mart and get one on launch.

The Wii-U looks more hectic. We don't know how hectic, all we know is they are having trouble with their manufacturer or so we are to believe and I am assuming that means we wont be able to just grab one at launch at any store without camping. I would assume Nintendo wants to get as many out the door, but who knows.

Plus Gamestop is always known for shady practices. I can't say get there early because who knows how many will camp out and if they will honor preorders first rule and if they even have enough for preorders. It's an odd situation all around.
Posted Image
"Mega Man 9 isn't hard, you're just not paying attention." -KingBroly

#1267 Dr. Dib

Dr. Dib

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 September 2012 - 08:27 PM

The 3DS had a decent rush but Nintendo got out more than enough consoles if you wanted one. I mean yeah Gamestop might of only got enough for preorders but you could walk in to a wal mart and get one on launch.

The Wii-U looks more hectic. We don't know how hectic, all we know is they are having trouble with their manufacturer or so we are to believe and I am assuming that means we wont be able to just grab one at launch at any store without camping. I would assume Nintendo wants to get as many out the door, but who knows.

Plus Gamestop is always known for shady practices. I can't say get there early because who knows how many will camp out and if they will honor preorders first rule and if they even have enough for preorders. It's an odd situation all around.

I guess I'll just stick with going there and then complaining about how poorly they handled the launch on the internet later that day ;).

#1268 Melatonin

Melatonin

Posted 17 September 2012 - 08:43 PM

I think I'm just going to wing it and try to find the deluxe version in stores. I'm not in any rush to get it (as long as I get one by the time Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate releases), and I enjoy the thrill of the chase...
Posted Image

#1269 Hades79

Hades79

Posted 17 September 2012 - 09:02 PM

So I pre-ordered on the first day, and I now want to do the PS3 trade-in for $150. Will they let me? I can't find it on the website anymore.

#1270 voidedx

voidedx

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 September 2012 - 09:25 PM

So I pre-ordered on the first day, and I now want to do the PS3 trade-in for $150. Will they let me? I can't find it on the website anymore.

This?
http://www.gamestop....ection/trade-in
30% hardware trade bonus
Get an extra 30% in-store credit when you trade any system

Offer not good on cash trades. Trades must be in full working condition to receive full value. Hardware must have all necessary components for trade. Cannot be combined with any other offer. Trade-ins subject to manager approval. See store associate for details. No dealers. Offer vailid in the United States, Puerto Rico and Guam only. Void where prohibited. GameStop, Inc. reserves the right to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the offer for any reason without notice.
Offer valid 8/27/2012 through 10/07/2012.
[URL="http://www.lusogamer.com/profile/live?gamertag=SpaceNinjaDino"]Posted Image[/URL]

#1271 Linkgx1

Linkgx1

No White Knights!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 September 2012 - 09:51 PM

Wow I'm glad I went out yesterday morning then because it was still available Sunday.

Other than the built in memory (which doesn't really matter cause of cheap SD cards), are people wanting the deluxe for the color? The pack-in game you'll probably be able to find fairly cheap second hand I would think.

I don't know what part of the deluxe is a must have that spending $50 can't get you except for color. (Unless I'm completely missing one of the features of the deluxe.)

I NEED black. I'm still bummed out about the lack of colorful Wiis at the 2005 press conference.

#1272 zsciaeount

zsciaeount

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 September 2012 - 10:00 PM

Wal-mart cancelled my pre-order. My BBY one isn't cancelled, but came through as "backordered," whatever that means.

Honestly, though, if I don't get it day one, I don't think I'll be that broken-hearted. My Wii has gone unused in months, and the launch window lineup is not all that exciting, save for Pikmin 3.

My prediction is that this pre-order rush represents the true fanboys, which is why you're not seeing the basic systems selling as quickly. Will the family that purchased a Wii and then never bought any games for it buy a Wii U? Probably not.

My guess is that, unless Nintendo invents a shortage, these things are going to be easy to find on shelves come January.

#1273 klimb22

klimb22

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 September 2012 - 10:04 PM

Wow I'm glad I went out yesterday morning then because it was still available Sunday.

Other than the built in memory (which doesn't really matter cause of cheap SD cards), are people wanting the deluxe for the color? The pack-in game you'll probably be able to find fairly cheap second hand I would think.

I don't know what part of the deluxe is a must have that spending $50 can't get you except for color. (Unless I'm completely missing one of the features of the deluxe.)

I remember when the black Wii came out and folks who already had a white one bought it just because it was black. Common quote was "...it matches my entertainment system..."

We got our Wii late, but still had to do the waiting in line thing. Went to Target who handed out numbered tickets and said come back at 8 am. Best way to do it. Took two of the kids with me. Made the cut. Sold 1 ticket for $50 to someone in line who didn't get one. Bought 2. 1 for us, 1 for eBay.

#1274 klimb22

klimb22

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 September 2012 - 10:10 PM

Wal-mart cancelled my pre-order. My BBY one isn't cancelled, but came through as "backordered," whatever that means.

Honestly, though, if I don't get it day one, I don't think I'll be that broken-hearted. My Wii has gone unused in months, and the launch window lineup is not all that exciting, save for Pikmin 3.

My prediction is that this pre-order rush represents the true fanboys, which is why you're not seeing the basic systems selling as quickly. Will the family that purchased a Wii and then never bought any games for it buy a Wii U? Probably not.

My guess is that, unless Nintendo invents a shortage, these things are going to be easy to find on shelves come January.

I never bought any system at launch and never really payed attention to release dates. I this >2 months from pre-order to launch for the WiiU the longest pre-order window for a system to date? I ask this because this seems like more than enough time for Nintendo to manufacture more units to meet demand.

#1275 Bankotsu

Bankotsu

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 September 2012 - 10:12 PM

Honestly, I was disappointed the green Wii that they showed at the Wii reveal at E3 I think wasn't available.

#1276 rockstarnati

rockstarnati

PlayStation 4 Day One Owners Club

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 September 2012 - 10:22 PM

I definitely want the console in black to match literally EVERYTHING else I own. lol... I'm not paying $50 for color though, that's for sure. But with 32gb instead of 8, the Wii U stand, GamePad stand, GamePad charging cradle, Nintendo Network loyalty program (whatever it's called) 10% discount, and Nintendo Land; it's the only option that makes sense to me. I have to admit I like to have a pack-in game like Nintendo Land that shows off the system's new features; but I don't want to go out of my way pay or pay $50 for it. Throw in all that other stuff though and I'm sold. The charging cradle is a big plus for me.

I remember when the black Wii came out and folks who already had a white one bought it just because it was black. Common quote was "...it matches my entertainment system..."

We got our Wii late, but still had to do the waiting in line thing. Went to Target who handed out numbered tickets and said come back at 8 am. Best way to do it. Took two of the kids with me. Made the cut. Sold 1 ticket for $50 to someone in line who didn't get one. Bought 2. 1 for us, 1 for eBay.

I'm one of those people that bought the black Wii to match my entertainment system. I sold my launch white Wii for such a good price though that it almost completely paid for the black one. I wouldn't have done it otherwise.

PSN: rockstarnati | XBL: rockstarnati

Check out this thread to get an Xbox One or $480 cash/gift card for FREE! This is 100% legit!

The more CAGs who do it, the more CAGs who get free Xbox Ones, cash or gift cards!!!

Here. Have another! FREE Wii U or $350 cash!

But wait, there's moreFREE PS Vita or $300 cash!

And more still! FREE iPad Mini or $430 cash!

#1277 FaintDeftone

FaintDeftone

Zelda Fanatic

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 September 2012 - 10:33 PM

Why wouldn't you want the deluxe model? For $50 more you get three accessories, a game, and the premium online service. Sounds like a deal to me!

#1278 JaylisJayP

JaylisJayP

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 September 2012 - 10:36 PM

Why wouldn't you want the deluxe model? For $50 more you get three accessories, a game, and the premium online service. Sounds like a deal to me!

And more memory.

#1279 trip1eX

trip1eX

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 September 2012 - 10:38 PM

The game itself is $60 so why not get the deluxe package. It's a 1st party game so you aren't going to see it in the bargain anytime soon. It also is most likely the best way to demonstrate the controller and what it can do. Many would probably buy the game anyway.

Then you get the stands, extra storage, and digital membership - whatever that proves to be. So the question is why not?

YOu can always resell the game unless they make it a digital version.

#1280 brutalny

brutalny

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 September 2012 - 10:40 PM

When did you order it from walmart that they cancelled it?

#1281 gamerguy73

gamerguy73

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 September 2012 - 10:41 PM

I have 4 white Wiimote controllers and getting the black Deluxe system. Not too happy about that.

#1282 ezgoer24

ezgoer24

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 September 2012 - 10:55 PM

The game itself is $60 so why not get the deluxe package. It's a 1st party game so you aren't going to see it in the bargain anytime soon. It also is most likely the best way to demonstrate the controller and what it can do. Many would probably buy the game anyway.

Then you get the stands, extra storage, and digital membership - whatever that proves to be. So the question is why not?

YOu can always resell the game unless they make it a digital version.

Nintendoland for $60 is a hard sell.

#1283 brutalny

brutalny

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 September 2012 - 11:01 PM

don't forget the controller stands....

#1284 shinclyde

shinclyde

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 September 2012 - 11:07 PM

Except if you get stuck with a white 299 system and no game to play ;)

#1285 AcePuppy

AcePuppy

Yoshi Yoshi!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 September 2012 - 11:25 PM

I have edited the Wiki to show that the Best Buy Basic model is AVAILABLE.

#1286 dennisb407

dennisb407

Posted 17 September 2012 - 11:29 PM

Target: No preorders ("yet")

They've already had preorder...I pre-ordered 2 deluxe models Saturday night and used my Target Visa for the discounts...came to $708.xx w/ taxes and s/h

#1287 Jayrcee

Jayrcee

CAG Addict

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 September 2012 - 11:44 PM

I definitely want the console in black to match literally EVERYTHING else I own. lol... I'm not paying $50 for color though, that's for sure. But with 32gb instead of 8, the Wii U stand, GamePad stand, GamePad charging cradle, Nintendo Network loyalty program (whatever it's called) 10% discount, and Nintendo Land; it's the only option that makes sense to me. I have to admit I like to have a pack-in game like Nintendo Land that shows off the system's new features; but I don't want to go out of my way pay or pay $50 for it. Throw in all that other stuff though and I'm sold. The charging cradle is a big plus for me.

I'm one of those people that bought the black Wii to match my entertainment system. I sold my launch white Wii for such a good price though that it almost completely paid for the black one. I wouldn't have done it otherwise.

I did the same thing. Gamestop was running a promo at the time, and I ended up trading in my white Wii that nearly paid for the new black one.

#1288 bluto20

bluto20

hiya buddy!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 September 2012 - 11:53 PM

i might just wait for the console to drop in price and a Zelda announcement.

687148.png

#1289 io

io

Posted 18 September 2012 - 12:02 AM

Yeah, for me it was like this:

1) 32 GB vs 8 GB. Not a huge deal considering you can have external storage. But with 32GB I probably won't need to mess with external storage for a while so this convenience is worth a few bucks (let's say $15 or so value equivalent to a nice USB flash drive).

2) Wii U stand - my game shelf is pretty crowded with a PS3/360/Wii already there. I'll probably move the Wii but I still need this thing to stand up. So maybe $5 there.

3) GamePad charging cradle - this is nice, as I'd always want it to be fully-charged and ready to go. So maybe $15 value here.

4) NintenoLand. I wouldn't want to pay $50 or $60 for this, but it is fair to value this at, say, $30. And I probably will only be getting NSMB U and maybe Rayman at launch, so another game is nice to have.

5) Black console - eh, not a big deal to me, it is nice to have but really has no inherent value to me. At least this means my Wii U/PS3/360 will all match sitting side-by-side-by-side ;).

So right there I've come up with $65 in value for the extra $50. And then there's the wildcard of the premium online service or whatever it is. Since I really don't know what that entails I put no value on it, but it could end up being the best part if it is anything close to Playstation Plus.

So, yeah, all in all, I'd say the Deluxe is a no-brainer and based on the current preorder trends I'd say most people agree with that.

Hmmm - it does appear to be gone (it was supposed to run until the 24th). I think the reason is that they are selling the preorders so fast that the promo pretty much no longer applies, and isn't necessary anyway. So they probably just pulled it.

FWIW, I tried trading in my 3DS using the promo the day after I put in my Deluxe preorder and they said the only way they could do it was to cancel that and then put in a new basic preorder (since the Deluxe were no longer available) using the promo. So, yeah, of course I turned that down. I'm sure that a savvy store manager could have figured out a way to do it, but I didn't want to press the issue. I wanted a 3DS XL anyway, so I just ended up using that promo on the last day it was good (yesterday) and got the same value for my 3DS ($100) that I would have via the Wii U promo anyway.

Edited by io, 18 September 2012 - 12:20 AM.

#1290 Zerostatic

Zerostatic

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 September 2012 - 12:03 AM

Damn, I'm so bummed. I didn't preorder in time and I was so hyped up about getting the Wii U. I used to call Gamestop every couple of days to see if they were taking preorders and then of course preorders started during a super stressful time that kept me from going to Gamestop/Best Buy for a few days and it looks like I missed out.

What is my best option now? I know Target hasn't taken in store preorders because they haven't received the little preorder cards. Should I just call Target every day to see if they'll get them in? Are there some retailers who never take preorders?