The Wii U Pre-Order Thread - $349.99/$299.99 - 11/18/12

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8921 replies to this topic

#1381 croqoa

croqoa

Turd Sandwich

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 September 2012 - 11:42 PM

Why are people who are so concerned about preauthorization holds spending $300 on a console?

Don't they have other concerns?

I was beginning to wonder this myself. It seems like a good 25% of the posts in this thread are people worrying about whether or not a hold of $300-400 will show up on their credit card...I'd think if you were straddling the debt line that closely (or even already over it) a half thousand dollar investment in a video game console wouldn't really be a smart call. I mean it is your money to spend how you want but c'mon now.

#1382 Drclaw411

Drclaw411

I miss Cartoon Orbit

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 September 2012 - 11:44 PM

I was beginning to wonder this myself. It seems like a good 25% of the posts in this thread are people worrying about whether or not a hold of $300-400 will show up on their credit card...I'd think if you were straddling the debt line that closely (or even already over it) a half thousand dollar investment in a video game console wouldn't really be a smart call. I mean it is your money to spend how you want but c'mon now.

Paycheck to paycheck high school and/or college folks might have to plan ahead to make that money available, rather than just dropping it all right now.

#1383 io

io

Posted 18 September 2012 - 11:46 PM

^ But that's just the thing, a pre-authorization is not "dropping it all right now".

But the hold is not even an actual charge - it is just a hold on your credit limit. So this should only effect people who are close to pushing their credit limits. And yeah, in that case, I'd say maybe hold off on the big purchases. What I don't get are the people saying it will tie up money for 2 months - eh? Unless that is how debit cards actually work - don't know, never use 'em. If that is the case, well, then I could see not wanting to do that. The way to go in that case would have been with a GS preorder where you could put $25 down and then pay it off as you can over the next 2 months.

Edited by io, 19 September 2012 - 01:54 AM.

#1384 BLink

BLink

Since 2005

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 September 2012 - 12:23 AM

I went to the Nintendo Store today and there was only "a couple" of deluxe pre-orders left and they assured me you are guaranteed the system if you pre-order and pick it up on launch day. Score!

#1385 6er

6er

XBOX, GO HOME

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 September 2012 - 12:24 AM

Some of you are too worked up over Walmart still having bundles. Walmart.com is one of the most behind the times retail store's website in the USA. They don't have the same prices as their stores. They still haven't got their store pickup system working right. My account does not work with any credit card with I ship something(PayPal ,lalways works, and any CC will always work with site to store) and they ignore my support requests. They shipped me a single 25x25x1 air filter in a 65x40x6 box. How the crap is that efficient?

#1386 kayne2000

kayne2000

All Glory to Tachikoma Paradise

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 September 2012 - 01:07 AM

Some of you are too worked up over Walmart still having bundles. Walmart.com is one of the most behind the times retail store's website in the USA. They don't have the same prices as their stores. They still haven't got their store pickup system working right. My account does not work with any credit card with I ship something(PayPal ,lalways works, and any CC will always work with site to store) and they ignore my support requests. They shipped me a single 25x25x1 air filter in a 65x40x6 box. How the crap is that efficient?

who knows but wal mart brings in the money. again wal mart is probably going to be that place to get a wii u by waiting in line for ages just because they are so behind the times and dont do in store preorders normally.

Paycheck to paycheck high school and/or college folks might have to plan ahead to make that money available, rather than just dropping it all right now.

while i am truly guilty of what i am about to say and not taking my own advice it would in general be a far wiser thing to hold off on such things if one has to save and barely get 500 dollars or even 300 dollars. a broke high school student or college student would be far better off buying a wii or ps3 or xbox 360 bundle quite frankly.

the smart man would say screw it and save up and invest for the future as opposed to getting the newest shiny toy.

the real problem is the world in general and especially america is a nation of debt these days. we quite frankly have very little self control when it comes to spending. so it is not entirely shocking to see a broke college or high school student trying to figure out and rationalize how to get the newest shiny toy.

and there is of course the xmas mentality which is basically lets blow a whole wad of cash on a bunch of crap we all dont really need and realize come the new year we are broke and in debt and if we were already in debt we are even more in debt.

and well anybody who frequents this site is probably a gaming/dvd shopaholic with some hoarding tendencies.

#1387 Wanderlai

Wanderlai

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 September 2012 - 01:41 AM

National media coverage begins...

http://abcnews.go.co...88#.UFkiYrJlTMR

#1388 Xuchilbara

Xuchilbara

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 September 2012 - 01:50 AM

I just placed my order on Walmart. When I tried placing the order a few days ago, The page stated that the system would not ship until later in november/december. Now, the page reads the bundle will ship on November 18th.

#1389 hasturyo

hasturyo

Emotionaly Unavailabe

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 September 2012 - 01:54 AM

I just placed my order on Walmart. When I tried placing the order a few days ago, The page stated that the system would not ship until later in november/december. Now, the page reads the bundle will ship on November 18th.

I preorder the bundle from Walmart too. but now they shipped the wii remote and the game and the Wii U. show as pending but they took the money from the whole bundle from my account.
Posted Image

#1390 Firecrest

Firecrest

BOOMSHALAKALAKA!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 September 2012 - 02:01 AM

Let the hysteria begin!

fs_overall.png

#1391 Xuchilbara

Xuchilbara

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 September 2012 - 02:07 AM

I preorder the bundle from Walmart too. but now they shipped the wii remote and the game and the Wii U. show as pending but they took the money from the whole bundle from my account.

Yeah weird. Just checked my account and it says the same thing. Controller and game are seperate from the console. and to top it all off the order is being "processed" which I believe might stay that way until the actual ship date.

#1392 skubish

skubish

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 September 2012 - 02:15 AM

Why are people who are so concerned about preauthorization holds spending $300 on a console?

I agree. This is there way it works for any preorder. I don't know why we have to discuss it everytime.

#1393 Deader2818

Deader2818

Flipadelphia!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 September 2012 - 02:20 AM

I saw someone earlier say that their Wii U Pre-order was different on the reward site then their recpite and I can confirm that mine is too.

Online it says: TEST SKU FOR MARKET 19 #3 1 6775874 $5.00 $5.00

The one I got in store says: PRESELL WII WII U DELUXE - BLACK 32GB HAR 5.00

I wonder why its different and what the test sku for market 19 #3 means.

The SKUs match though so it shouldnt be an issue.

#1394 Linkgx1

Linkgx1

No White Knights!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 September 2012 - 02:27 AM

Because that can affect other stuff depending one the account.

#1395 therealdanhill

therealdanhill

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 September 2012 - 03:15 AM

Because that can affect other stuff depending one the account.

Exactly. Like I use auto BillPay from my Bank, so I need to know that stuff goes through. I don't keep 500 bucks in my checking account just because; it's in savings in a different bank, and I preordered on a whim, not knowing when they were going to sell out. Alternativley, people might not want to pay overdraft fees. Some people only use credit cards for emergencies, or don't want to carry a balance. Some just don't want a company holding their money until they are guaranteed a product, or until it ships at least.

Realistically, there is a wide array of reasons people would be concerned, so it would be best to prepare for these types of questions, because they will always be asked, and always have been.

I don't get the decision to not have a GameCube disc reader on the system. Is it just to resell GCN games as eShop downloads later? Is it to keep the cost down? I can't imagine adding GameCube BC would cost a lot of money.

Posted Image

#1396 Alamo

Alamo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 September 2012 - 03:26 AM

Seeing as Target isn't doing instore pre orders, that would be my best bet to camp out at 10pm. Not too bad of a wait.

#1397 Linkgx1

Linkgx1

No White Knights!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 September 2012 - 03:54 AM

Exactly. Like I use auto BillPay from my Bank, so I need to know that stuff goes through. I don't keep 500 bucks in my checking account just because; it's in savings in a different bank, and I preordered on a whim, not knowing when they were going to sell out. Alternativley, people might not want to pay overdraft fees. Some people only use credit cards for emergencies, or don't want to carry a balance. Some just don't want a company holding their money until they are guaranteed a product, or until it ships at least.

Realistically, there is a wide array of reasons people would be concerned, so it would be best to prepare for these types of questions, because they will always be asked, and always have been.

Yes, I'm very tight with my money and don't like one cent not being there. I really hate a company 'holding' my money....especially if they charge too many times. This actually happened with my Xbox Live acct. I had about $4000 in my savings but just about $50 in my account. I got a $30 subscription (thanks to this site) but somehow Microsoft thought I wanted 3 years.....and it charged a $15 fee for each renewal. I got it straightened out, but I don't like dealing with things like that. Less frustration.
Posted Image

#1398 StryderOmega

StryderOmega

Posted 19 September 2012 - 04:04 AM

So I have decided to (painfully) wait for a LE or price drop of the black Wii U. November is going to be a heavy hitter in terms of BF deals... Especially since I am keeping my fingers crossed for a LE of a 3DS XL this year.

#1399 247

Posted 19 September 2012 - 04:06 AM

Preordered basic and deluxe, think ill be going with deluxe with all them plastic accessories.

#1400 gordojones88

gordojones88

Sith Lord Darth CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 September 2012 - 04:17 AM

Seeing as Target isn't doing instore pre orders, that would be my best bet to camp out at 10pm. Not too bad of a wait.

!?!?!

With Xbox 360 and Playstation 3, you needed to be there at least 12-24 hours before launch to secure a spot in line.

This time with most stores doing pre-orders,
there will be very few first-come first-serve consoles available.
Posted Image

Posted Image

My problem was this hoarder took all of them including my one copy as I helped her.

#1401 Xuchilbara

Xuchilbara

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 September 2012 - 04:19 AM

Just a heads up for others who have/ might decide to order from walmart. Walmart Authorizations may call you the following day to confirm your order with them. It should be noted that if you miss the call or do not call them back within 24 hours your order will be cancelled. Oh and gordo, I am abusing the system since my Welfare checks have already paid for 2 consoles.

#1402 StryderOmega

StryderOmega

Posted 19 September 2012 - 04:35 AM

Well, it is $300. Not $60.

I am kinda bad with my money (I am on here after all, lol). Not like I don't make a decent amount, it is just a good portion of money tied up with a bank for a long period of time. Never know when I could get a flat tire or something more serious.

That and I am purchasing the iPhone 5, for myself, and the 'new' iPad for my GF for her B-Day.

Then I have all the new egg pre-orders and the one amazon pre-order in October to worry about.

#1403 Xuchilbara

Xuchilbara

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 September 2012 - 04:42 AM

Well, it is $300. Not $60.

I am kinda bad with my money (I am on here after all, lol). Not like I don't make a decent amount, it is just a good portion of money tied up with a bank for a long period of time. Never know when I could get a flat tire or something more serious.

That and I am purchasing the iPhone 5, for myself, and the 'new' iPad for my GF for her B-Day.

Then I have all the new egg pre-orders and the one amazon pre-order in October to worry about.

I sympathize with you fully. For me, the money is not the issue. I just prefer to pay the money upfront so I dont have to worry about billing at a later date. This is the reason I usually do pre-orders for music through sites that accept paypal so I can pay the full ammount and not have to worry about an invoice 2 months down the line.

#1404 Alamo

Alamo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 September 2012 - 04:58 AM

!?!?!

With Xbox 360 and Playstation 3, you needed to be there at least 12-24 hours before launch to secure a spot in line.

Make it 8pm then. I am sure I'll get one without pre ordering.

#1405 jpatern

jpatern

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 September 2012 - 05:00 AM

!?!?!

I slept out for both and the 360 line filled up fast. PS3 wasn't as crazy down here in New Orleans at the wally world I went to. they all sold out but you could have gotten there much closer to release to get one. then they were getting returned pretty soon because the flipping market sucked balls for the ps3.

I wasn't planning on getting the Wii for a while so I'm going to hold off for now. I can't even remember the last time I fired up my wii. about to drop cash on iphone 5 for myself and the wife and then she's going to make plastic burn during the holidays and I'm sure I'll go overboard on black friday as always. I'll get in the wii u market later next year but i will be watching ebay to see how crazy prices get on these things.
Posted Image

#1406 Xuchilbara

Xuchilbara

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 September 2012 - 05:02 AM

Lol. You seem to be determined to grab your WiiU without the hassles of pre-order.

#1407 Ninjaharley

Ninjaharley

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 September 2012 - 05:09 AM

Unless there is not enough to cover pre-orders, I hope that is not the case

Sidenote: New PS3 remodel announced comes out next week with a white version to follow, I dunno how many people would buy it though

#1408 Xuchilbara

Xuchilbara

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 September 2012 - 05:11 AM

I slept out for both and the 360 line filled up fast. PS3 wasn't as crazy down here in New Orleans at the wally world I went to. they all sold out but you could have gotten there much closer to release to get one. then they were getting returned pretty soon because the flipping market sucked balls for the ps3.

I wasn't planning on getting the Wii for a while so I'm going to hold off for now. I can't even remember the last time I fired up my wii. about to drop cash on iphone 5 for myself and the wife and then she's going to make plastic burn during the holidays and I'm sure I'll go overboard on black friday as always. I'll get in the wii u market later next year but i will be watching ebay to see how crazy prices get on these things.

Oh No! this brings back horrible memories of sleeping outside the San Francisco Sony Metreon Just to buy 2 copies of Final Fantasy IX. Waited outside since 8pm in a Squall cosplay outfit with my only food options being Denny's and Jack In The Box (>_< gross). Luckily my gunblade netted me over $300 in official square goodies. Til this day I'm not sure if Denny's Diareaha was worth all that:cry:

#1409 Drclaw411

Drclaw411

I miss Cartoon Orbit

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 September 2012 - 05:35 AM

Kind of pot vs kettle of me being a journalist, but I hate when the national media starts writing about games. I feel like they never know what they're talking about and they end up fucking shit up.

#1410 psihog

psihog

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 September 2012 - 05:50 AM

Doing it old school.. I like it. I might join the fun and wait in line even thou I already went high tech and pre-ordered online.