The Wii U Pre-Order Thread - $349.99/$299.99 - 11/18/12

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8921 replies to this topic

#1561 gamerguy73

gamerguy73

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2012 - 06:49 PM

Any details on B&M Toys R Us pre-orders? Are they offering Basic and Deluxe bundles? Any info will be appreciated. Thanks.

#1562 vcplant

vcplant

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2012 - 06:53 PM

That the pre-orders sold out in a week makes me really think they did a relatively low number of pre-orders as a "test" to gauge interest, hype ("ALL PRE-ORDERS SOLD OUT!!!!"), and wet the appetite of retailers. Like I bet Nintendo dug their feet in the ground, allowed Amazon to see all the dollars that went to other retailers in the pre-sale, and refused to negotiate down in price. Nintendo can pretty much dictate the margin they want now to anybody who wants in and the retailers will probably need to make up the difference with Bundles.

#1563 Plinko

Plinko

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2012 - 06:54 PM

I find it strange that Best Buy is STILL taking pre-orders on the Wii U standard. Something tells me they're way over selling these things, and their idea of a pre-order is "we'll put you on the list for one" and not "we'll have it ready at the counter on the 18th."

If this is the case, I hope they plan on organizing this at some point. Take all the pre-orders, by location, and organize them by date and put holds on the physical consoles in the store for those people...THEN notify everyone else that they're still getting one, they might just have to wait. I can already see the riots when they start handing these out to people with pre-orders first come first serve, despite WHEN they pre-ordered, and running out before they're half way through the list.

Or, you could remember that Nintendo has a pretty close relationship with Best Buy. Knowing that Amazon isn't carrying these, Best Buy probably is getting a lot more inventory because of it.

#1564 Plinko

Plinko

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2012 - 06:57 PM

I almost hope that they throw everyone's name in a hat and draw names lotto style. That's really the only way this would turn out fair for the people who don't eat and sleep videogame news. All I know is that this pre-order stuff is going to make the next 2 months really interesting...

This is a ludicrous statement.

No way is it "fair" that those people who ordered first would have their names thrown randomly into a drawing with those who ordered last. If Best Buy gets lower stock than expected (which, as I stated above, I don't expect because of the Amazon issue) then I guarantee they go by time of order.

#1565 kklems

kklems

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2012 - 06:57 PM

That is a good point. However, I can totally see Best Buy management using this as a way of playing up the importance of "pre-orders." A lot of the people who honestly want one to play are going to get shut out for a while due to the number of pre-orders flippers have placed, and they're going to be upset (rightfully so) that pre-orders were taken, rather quietly, months before launch (possibly before they even knew the system was coming out).

I almost hope that they throw everyone's name in a hat and draw names lotto style. That's really the only way this would turn out fair for the people who don't eat and sleep videogame news. All I know is that this pre-order stuff is going to make the next 2 months really interesting...

The other way to stop the flipping would be require the item be paid in full at time of order or a hefty non refundable deposit. Now resellers can leverage a small amount to hold the item and than if the market doesn't pan out cancel for a full refund. No risk, only reward. You could make the deposit non refundable by calling the time a special order item and the deposit a restocking fee.

#1566 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 20 September 2012 - 06:59 PM

i would be confused why you were increasing your interest free loan to gamestop too.

+1 :)

Crunchewy.png

#1567 waldo21212

waldo21212

Posted 20 September 2012 - 07:00 PM

Why does it need to be fair for people who don't eat and sleep videogame news? Life isn't always fair....

Exactly - let the people who are most likely to spend more on games be the first to have it. Not the mom's who will buy one and never get any more games.

Although since this is a Nintendo console, a high attachment rate probably isn't as important, since I doubt the are selling the console as at loss to make it back on software.

#1568 IronRinn

IronRinn

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2012 - 07:27 PM

For anyone who is interested: Walmart has had the Deluxe bundle on and off all day today. Actually managed to grab one a few minutes ago. Whether or not I will be getting it by the 26th of November is a completely different story.

#1569 iaacp

iaacp

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2012 - 07:46 PM

Exactly - let the people who are most likely to spend more on games be the first to have it. Not the mom's who will buy one and never get any more games.

Although since this is a Nintendo console, a high attachment rate probably isn't as important, since I doubt the are selling the console as at loss to make it back on software.

Considering half the people in this thread (and those who preordered) will probably flip theirs, I'd much rather it go to a kid.

#1570 NoMeDigas

NoMeDigas

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2012 - 07:49 PM

Considering half the people in this thread (and those who preordered) will probably flip theirs, I'd much rather it go to a kid.

I'm in my 30s, no kids... and I won't be flipping my Deluxe pre-order. I'll be playing it! :D

#1571 kayne2000

kayne2000

All Glory to Tachikoma Paradise

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2012 - 07:51 PM

this.

#1572 ProppaT

ProppaT

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:05 PM

Pretty much my thoughts. These are basically going to a) flippers, b) grown up gamers, and c) kids of grown up gamers. I'm pretty sure the first time most casual gamers and kids heard about a pre-sale was when they heard the news declare "pre-orders are sold out."

#1573 Hoffer

Hoffer

I've got a 10" CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:06 PM

I'm in my 30s, no kids... and I won't be flipping my Deluxe pre-order. I'll be playing it! :D

This is myself exactly.

I remember seeing 2 Wiis at Target a couple years ago when they were impossible to find. I could have easily bought one and profitted on it on eBay. I left it there with hopes that someone that actually wanted it would buy it.

#1574 raptor3076

raptor3076

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:17 PM

I would be confused why you were increasing your interest free loan to GameStop too.

I don't know if Gamestop does this or not, never pre-ordered a system from them, but I remember Babbage's gave top priority with the PS2 launch to people who had paid off pre-orders ahead of time. When I got my PS2 they had two lines, one for paid the other not, and only after all the paid had systems did they help the other line. They ran out of systems before all the 2nd line was done. Yes I'm old enough to even remember when the NES came out.

#1575 NoMeDigas

NoMeDigas

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:22 PM

Yes I'm old enough to even remember when the NES came out.

That's not THAT old. We're not DEAD yet. I was six when the NES was released. :D

#1576 bgame2

bgame2

Pure Cag Smoothness

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:24 PM

That's not THAT old. We're not DEAD yet. I was six when the NES was released. :D

I remember shopping with my parents at a store named "Clover" for coleco vision games. Who's with me?

#1577 ProppaT

ProppaT

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:31 PM

I remember shopping with my parents at a store named "Clover" for coleco vision games. Who's with me?

We bought our Commodore 24 at Zares. I haven't thought about that defunct chain store in years. And, yes...Commodore 24, not 64. Complete with the tape deck! :)

#1578 MetalSlugger

MetalSlugger

BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR RAPADOOOO

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:44 PM

I would be confused why you were increasing your interest free loan to GameStop too.

How is it a loan exactly? It's not like GameStop is going to give your $350 back on launch day. Plus they're only going to make a set amount of profit on systems at launch...sure they get an extra 2 months of "interest" on what you put down but it makes little other difference when they get your $350, as long as they ultimately get it. You can always go in and cancel your preorder for cash too...done it plenty of times myself.

uc.png

#1579 Hoffer

Hoffer

I've got a 10" CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:47 PM

My parents bought me an Atari 2600 for Xmas in the late 70s.

The NES is about the only major videogame system I've never owned. I don't even remember ever asking my parents for one. I think I was more into Apple IIe games at the time. I had cousins/friends that had an NES. I remember playing Duck Hunt and Super Mario on it.

#1580 raptor3076

raptor3076

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:51 PM

Sure makes me feel old when I go into gamestop and they will ask me if I'm ok with my son playing whatever M rated game I'm buying, and the game is for me and I don't have any kids! The first system I got was the Atari 2600, it was a family christmas gift my dad bought.

#1581 gordojones88

gordojones88

Sith Lord Darth CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:52 PM

My first console was in 1977.
The Unisonic Tournament 2000.
It only played pong.
You had to slide the knobs down to keep score.

http://cdnroot.cheap...pictureid=27628
Posted Image

Posted Image

My problem was this hoarder took all of them including my one copy as I helped her.

#1582 Alamo

Alamo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:04 PM

You guys are making me feel very young here (20 years old)

#1583 Hoffer

Hoffer

I've got a 10" CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:07 PM

You guys are making me feel very young here (20 years old)

I attended my 20 year high school reunion in July.

#1584 sengar

sengar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:09 PM

We bought our Commodore 24 at Zares. I haven't thought about that defunct chain store in years. And, yes...Commodore 24, not 64. Complete with the tape deck! :)

Do you mean the VIC-20? I'm pretty sure my parents bought one of those at Zayre also. The C64's floppy drive seemed blazingly fast compared to the cassette drive.

#1585 NoMeDigas

NoMeDigas

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:11 PM

Sure makes me feel old when I go into gamestop and they will ask me if I'm ok with my son playing whatever M rated game I'm buying, and the game is for me and I don't have any kids! The first system I got was the Atari 2600, it was a family christmas gift my dad bought.

Yeah, I do hate that. Why do video games always have to be for kids? I mean, yeah, I played when I was a kid... but I was the first person of anyone I knew to get a Wii... and a DS... and a 3DS... and a PSP.

#1586 bigsick

bigsick

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:11 PM

This is myself exactly.

I remember seeing 2 Wiis at Target a couple years ago when they were impossible to find. I could have easily bought one and profitted on it on eBay. I left it there with hopes that someone that actually wanted it would buy it.

I'm 28 so i'm right there with you. No kids. I have a deluxe preordered. Not flipping it.
Posted Image

#1587 TrumpetDan

TrumpetDan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:18 PM

I got a NES on my 6th birthday in 1986, a year after release. It was the deluxe set with ROB, zapper, Gyromite, and Duck Hunt. I remember my parents letting me pick two extra titles, went with Super Mario Bros and Popeye. Great memories! :)

Very much looking forward to the Wii U.

#1588 ProppaT

ProppaT

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:28 PM

Do you mean the VIC-20? I'm pretty sure my parents bought one of those at Zayre also. The C64's floppy drive seemed blazingly fast compared to the cassette drive.

Yup, the VIC-20. I don't know why we referred to it as a C24...if that was some weird marketing after the C64 got popular or if my dad made it up to make me feel like we weren't getting an out dated computer :). And, yes, it was Zayre! Thank you, I always want to think it's Zares, probably because it sounds close to Zales.

I remember when my dad brought it home, I asked where the games were...then he slammed what looked like a phone book on the table. "Start typing." He watched me (5 years old) suffer through trying to type it in for about 10 minutes before he told me he'd finish it after I went to bed :) Promise of a new videogame in the morning is a great way to get a kid in bed, btw...

#1589 jedex

jedex

Elite Chemist

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:38 PM

I'm 28 so i'm right there with you. No kids. I have a deluxe preordered. Not flipping it.

Preorderd 5 keeping one flipping 4 :)

#1590 Josh5890

Josh5890

For AC New Leaf 3DS- 3110-4025-7228

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:41 PM

Yeah, I do hate that. Why do video games always have to be for kids? I mean, yeah, I played when I was a kid... but I was the first person of anyone I knew to get a Wii... and a DS... and a 3DS... and a PSP.

I'm tired of people rolling there eyes at me when I'm in public playing my DS or PSP because they assume I'm playing Pokemon, which apparently no 22 year old is allowed to play. Let me play my game and go about your business
Spoiler

I need a new signature.