Bioshock Infinite Announced

• Please log in to reply
496 replies to this topic

#361 Spybreak9

Spybreak9

$$$$$ Game Scholar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2013 - 04:30 PM

I've been reading a lot of people saying meh to the ending or that it's just complicated sci-fi. Sit back and reflect on it and then you'll see how good it really is. That's all I'll say about that fact, I'm not here to change your minds. I told a friend I compared this to the Mass Effect 3 ending and said see even though they threw a wrench into it they didn't just throw in a damn STAR CHILD and retcon their IP! lol The thing was it went from start to finish in one masterly blended memorable experience imo.

N7_Spectres are not trained, but chosen_N7, Check out my personal Gaming 4 Life gaming blog for gaming talk.

Spybreaker.pnguc.png
:D  Watch Dogs, Destiny, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Sunset Overdrive, The Witcher 3
3DS Friend Code: 0903-2908-9378

#362 Spybreak9

Spybreak9

$$$$$ Game Scholar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2013 - 05:39 PM

Was just watching the E3 demo from way back in 2011. It's funny how some elements from this demo made it into the final game, some did but in greatly altered form, and some didn't at all.

Yeah apparently there were many iterations with this game, a lot of things changed and a lot of staff changes occurred. I'm glad some of the things we saw from the E3 footage actually didn't make it into the game as gameplay. There's one thing with presentation and another with execution. One example is we see more control of Elizabeth in relation to the player (as in the combat) compared to how we interact with her with the final product.

N7_Spectres are not trained, but chosen_N7, Check out my personal Gaming 4 Life gaming blog for gaming talk.

Spybreaker.pnguc.png
:D  Watch Dogs, Destiny, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Sunset Overdrive, The Witcher 3

#363 dennisb407

dennisb407

What it do!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:37 PM

Whats the best vigor/gear combo to equip?

#364 NinjaPenguin777

NinjaPenguin777

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:39 PM

Just to be clear. I think Bioshock 1 is superior in almost every way to this game, but that doesn't mean this game is bad. It's going to be really damn hard to top Bioshock 1

For gear and vigors...I can't think of specifics but these are the ones I remember off the top of my head.

One piece made people catch on fire when you hit them with your skyhook
One piece gave me 40% more ammo or 40% chance that guys would drop ammo
One piece gave me life every mele kill
One piece gave me faster recharge time on the shield and something else involving the shield.

Devils Kiss, Murder of Crows and Possession were the three vigors I used 90% of the time

Formerly known as slickkill77

#365 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:53 PM

Why did you use the fire one instead of the shock one?

#366 NinjaPenguin777

NinjaPenguin777

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:59 PM

Why did you use the fire one instead of the shock one?

Idk. I like watching people catch on fire in the game?

Two hidden songs within the game

#367 itachiitachi

itachiitachi

Posted 06 April 2013 - 03:01 PM

I've been reading a lot of people saying meh to the ending or that it's just complicated sci-fi. Sit back and reflect on it and then you'll see how good it really is. That's all I'll say about that fact, I'm not here to change your minds. I told a friend I compared this to the Mass Effect 3 ending and said see even though they threw a wrench into it they didn't just throw in a damn STAR CHILD and retcon their IP! lol The thing was it went from start to finish in one masterly blended memorable experience imo.

The more you sit back and think about it the worse it gets, it just makes you see even more inconsistencies and contrivances and
Spoiler

Forgive me if I have a little nuance to my worldview, and am not a black/white ideologue who can't grasp complexity.

This is perhaps the most ironic thing I have ever seen on CAG.

#368 phantomfriar2002

phantomfriar2002

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 April 2013 - 03:43 PM

Overall I definitely think it deserves accolades and some GOTY talk. Especially in a down-ish year so far

Downish? Tomb Raider was great. Far Cry 3 was really solid. Didn't play Dead Space 3 but people seem to like it. This game -- even though I wasn't crazy about the convoluted nature of the ending -- is absolutely worth playing. YMMV I guess :)

#369 phantomfriar2002

phantomfriar2002

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 April 2013 - 03:46 PM

The more you sit back and think about it the worse it gets, it just makes you see even more inconsistencies and contrivances and

Spoiler

Agreed. They certainly could've done a better job -- instead the "big reveal" felt like M. Night Shyamalan came up with a Scooby-Doo ending to explain it all.

#370 cancerman1120

cancerman1120

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 April 2013 - 08:09 PM

Well I am glad I have not been reading the thread for awhile. Like most things on the internet eventually the negative nellies show up.

Anyway, first sales numbers are coming in. While not Halo or COD numbers it sold well (maybe not in comparison to budget). In comparison to another long gestating game, Tomb Raider, the game looks to at least sold twice the number of copies. Pretty sure PC sales numbers are physical copies only so digital sales are not included.

US
:360: 458,983
:ps3: 219,646
:pc: 104,334

UK
:360: 94,240
:ps3: 43,907
:pc: 9,111

Looking at Bioshock and Bioshock 2 #s and it is looking like about a 50-60% increase in week 1 sales in the US which has to be a good sign for Take-Two and Irrational.

#371 usickenme

usickenme

I'm the a-hole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 April 2013 - 08:20 PM

Well I am glad I have not been reading the thread for awhile. Like most things on the internet eventually the negative nellies show up.

oh just shut up....everything isn't kool-aid and rainbows

it's sad how all the folks with crushes on Ken Levine are so quick to dismiss anyone who dares to think it's not the greatest game evah

#372 cancerman1120

cancerman1120

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 April 2013 - 08:26 PM

oh just shut up....everything isn't kool-aid and rainbows

it's sad how dismissive all the folks with a man-crushes on Ken Levine are so quick to dismiss anyone who dares to think it's not the greatest game evah

Hey look we got a big man here. Tell me to shut up to my face. Otherwise just keep it to yourself or better yet just ignore me.

I don't mind criticisms but when people pretend like they could do better it is dam funny to me. The internet is full of brilliant game designers.

#373 sublime90

sublime90

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 April 2013 - 08:36 PM

I loved this part! It was an actual epic battle in Bioshock. It was Great! Was I one of the select few that didn't have a ton of trouble with this on hard? I had to redo it 2 or 3 times, but didn't think it was impossible in the slightest.

Spoiler

it is an epic battle but i seriously cant beat it lol
Spoiler

ok finally beat it. shock jockey helped tremendously. i reallly reallly liked that ending to, awesome game.

Edited by sublime90, 06 April 2013 - 09:11 PM.

Posted Image
I was half cut, im not slippin man i slipped! - Max Payne

#374 CaseyRyback

CaseyRyback

Your New Nightmare!

• Super Moderators

Posted 07 April 2013 - 12:58 AM

Hey look we got a big man here. Tell me to shut up to my face. Otherwise just keep it to yourself or better yet just ignore me.

I don't mind criticisms but when people pretend like they could do better it is dam funny to me. The internet is full of brilliant game designers.

So the sum of your argument is that unless you have achieved the same level of success as a prominent developer, you can't put forth a valid criticism? That is some pretty flawed and terrible logic.

Posted Image

#375 cancerman1120

cancerman1120

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 April 2013 - 01:14 AM

So the sum of your argument is that unless you have achieved the same level of success as a prominent developer, you can't put forth a valid criticism? That is some pretty flawed and terrible logic.

Sure that is exactly what I said. Except where I did not say that. Pretending like you would always make the "right" decisions after the fact without knowing why those decisions were made during development is what bugs me. Sometimes things are the way they are because there is no other way to do them.

#376 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 April 2013 - 03:00 AM

Sure that is exactly what I said. Except where I did not say that.

Right.

Pretending like you would always make the "right" decisions after the fact without knowing why those decisions were made during development is what bugs me. Sometimes things are the way they are because there is no other way to do them.

Regardless of why the decision is made does not excuse the game as a whole. If the developers of SimCity didn't want always online, it doesn't make SimCity automatically great.

If the game designer could think of no other way to do them doesn't mean there isn't a better way to do them.

#377 A Happy Panda

A Happy Panda

not as happy as you think

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 April 2013 - 06:00 AM

Downish? Tomb Raider was great. Far Cry 3 was really solid. Didn't play Dead Space 3 but people seem to like it. This game -- even though I wasn't crazy about the convoluted nature of the ending -- is absolutely worth playing. YMMV I guess :)

Far Cry 3 was last year.

Tomb Raider and Infinite are great starts to the year though. Didn't play DS3.

#378 cancerman1120

cancerman1120

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 April 2013 - 02:31 PM

Regardless of why the decision is made does not excuse the game as a whole. If the developers of SimCity didn't want always online, it doesn't make SimCity automatically great.

If the game designer could think of no other way to do them doesn't mean there isn't a better way to do them.

Yes lets take the most extreme side of a development decision and use that as the example of why people criticize games. Shipping a broken game is far different than the nit picky shit most people complain about.

Also, I still don't see where I said you have to be an an accomplished game designer to give criticism. Acting like you can always do better is NOT criticism. Maybe you don't work in a field where criticism is given on a daily basis because you would recognize the difference. It is like the person who always has to say "But actually" before giving their opinion on something.

#379 iamsmart

iamsmart

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 April 2013 - 03:16 PM

Also, I still don't see where I said you have to be an an accomplished game designer to give criticism.

Pretending like you would always make the "right" decisions after the fact without knowing why those decisions were made during development is what bugs me

There really only seems to be one way to interpret this: "you don't know how the game business works, so unless you know what you are talking about (i.e. you are a competent developer yourself), then shutup."

The way I see it, basically anyone who levels a criticism at the game would fit your description of an "armchair game developer", since they don't like what is currently there and therefore would inherently believe it could have been done better.

Clearly everyone seems to be misunderstanding you, so how about just giving some examples from the thread instead?

#380 NinjaPenguin777

NinjaPenguin777

Posted 07 April 2013 - 06:26 PM

Far Cry 3 was last year.

Tomb Raider and Infinite are great starts to the year though. Didn't play DS3.

Oh wow. I didn't even realize that Far Cry 3 released in November 2012. I guess because I played in in Feb I thought it released this year

#381 gotdott

gotdott

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 April 2013 - 06:35 PM

Oh wow. I didn't even realize that Far Cry 3 released in November 2012. I guess because I played in in Feb I thought it released this year

November EU, December US. Still it was released too late to be considered among last year's GOTY contenders.

#382 Halo05

Halo05

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:47 AM

Just finished it about 3 hours ago. What a ride. I'm sort of backwards in that the game initially didn't really pull me in as much as the original Bioshock but then once the Vox get going, I couldn't put it down.

I loved the ending. I didn't watch the credits all the way through though. Off to youtube I guess.

As many of you know, black ops 2 is plaid with bugs, lag etc which many people have been suffering including me.

plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid

#383 Vap

Vap

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:15 AM

Really cool game..really weird but cool ending. It took me awhile to comprehend it..and I'm still not sure I have fully done so...still really cool though.

#384 Spybreak9

Spybreak9

$$$$$ Game Scholar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 April 2013 - 12:41 PM

Spoiler

I'm not seeing it, care to back up that statement with some thoughts?

I too picked up Far Cry 3 this year so I've got 2013 slapped on that title as well, it's so good.

I basically started out with the Early Bird Pack which I kept for a while:
Electric Punch
Ammo Advantage
Ghost Soldier
Eagle Strike

then later on used:
Gear Head/Burning Halo
Bullet Boon
Head Master
Vampire Embrace

You can see all of them at this wiki.

Edited by Spybreak8, 09 April 2013 - 01:00 PM.
gear added

Spybreaker.pnguc.png

#385 itachiitachi

itachiitachi

Posted 09 April 2013 - 01:57 PM

I'm not seeing it, care to back up that statement with some thoughts?

Spoiler

Forgive me if I have a little nuance to my worldview, and am not a black/white ideologue who can't grasp complexity.

This is perhaps the most ironic thing I have ever seen on CAG.

#386 Jimmienoman

Jimmienoman

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:55 PM

Spoiler

Spoiler

Edited by Jimmienoman, 09 April 2013 - 03:07 PM.

#387 Spybreak9

Spybreak9

$$$$$ Game Scholar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 April 2013 - 04:03 PM

Spoiler

Ok my thoughts,
Spoiler

Spybreaker.pnguc.png

#388 Jimmienoman

Jimmienoman

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:15 PM

Ok my thoughts,

Spoiler

Spoiler

#389 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB