Photo
- - - - -

iPhone on Verizon thread... (It's no longer speculation.)

• Please log in to reply
187 replies to this topic

#31 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 06 January 2011 - 09:55 PM

Yeah, I've had nothing but good experiences with verizon.

On top of that it's what the vast majority of my friends and family have, so I wouldn't want to leave and lose the unlimited in network calling.

Still mixed one whether I want a smart phone when my current 2 year contract is up in a few months. I don't care that much about iPhone either way, would probably opt for Android and avoid Apple's walled garden crap.

3DS Friend Code: 2595-0524-8826

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#32 whitecastle

whitecastle

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2011 - 10:32 PM

I like Verizon and there are a lot of great phones available besides the iPhone. I think when Verizon does manage to get the iPhone...the iPhone 6 would be out for all the cell companies.

#33 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 January 2011 - 12:00 AM

I don't know about Verizon, but I do think that AT&T and Apple's relationship is changing. It's been my belief that AT&T has purposefully kept out any good Android phones for fear it would hurt iPhone sales. Now they're about to get some great Android handsets, so they don't seem as worried any more. You could take that as AT&T losing confidence in the device, or that they aren't worried about pissing Apple off anymore.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Apple shopping the iPhone to other carriers in the near future. Basically I think the Apple/AT&T honeymoon is over.
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. -George Carlin

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” -Mark Twain

“When a great genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign; that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." -Jonathon Swift

#34 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 07 January 2011 - 12:15 AM

Well, AT&T only has exclusivity until 2012, so they have to get ready for the future as there's no chance that the iPhone isn't on multiple carriers at that point as that's how Apple can make the most money.

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#35 DestroVega

DestroVega

Life is short... stunt it

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 January 2011 - 08:43 PM

Well, two more nuggets to share.

My brother knows someone who works for the local Apple Store, they have told employees the last week of Jan and first 2 of Feb, they can not request time off.

My friend who works for Verizon just sent me this text, "A lot of signs pointing to Feb. 3"

take them for what you will.

Destro1.gif            DestroVega.jpg

#36 nasum

nasum

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 January 2011 - 09:33 PM

Just heard something similar, but I'm curious as to how the whole exclusivity thing is going to work...

Also, why the hell haven't they done the buildout for such an event in their billing system is beyond me. These aren't the kinds of things that work with the flip of a switch.
3DS Buddy Code 2767-0055-5245 send a pm with your code if you add and I will return the favor
XBL - Nasum2

#37 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 07 January 2011 - 09:38 PM

Would the billing really be any different than for the other smart phones? Same data plans will be offered I'd asssume, and I'd think it would be simple to adapt the Android App purchase system for the iPhone App store.

Maybe it's more complex than that though.

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#38 TheRock88

TheRock88

The Franchise

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 January 2011 - 09:49 PM

Verizon's scheduled a media event this upcoming Tuesday (11th). In addition to Apple saying that they're not letting their store employees having days off during Feb 3-6, it's probably safe to assume that the Verizon iPhone rumors might be real.

#39 Darknyss

Darknyss

Trophies 4TW!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 January 2011 - 09:58 PM

Verizon's scheduled a media event this upcoming Tuesday (11th). In addition to Apple saying that they're not letting their store employees having days off during Feb 3-6, it's probably safe to assume that the Verizon iPhone rumors might be real.

Exactly. Plus, when you factor in who got invites to the event (Apple-specific bloggers and Gizmodo did not), it makes it even more believable. Can't fucking wait! :bouncy:

#40 Amblix

Amblix

Posted 07 January 2011 - 10:07 PM

It opens up options for me in the future, the familky and I were going to switch over to Verizon and get some Droids when I got back to the states.

#41 DestroVega

DestroVega

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 January 2011 - 10:07 PM

Also just got word from my Verizon friend, they have Face-to-Face training with Apple, Feb. 1-4... this has to be a done deal.

links.

http://arstechnica.c...tm_campaign=rss

http://www.nytimes.c...&ref=technology

#42 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

Missed out on the Great Walmart glitch of 11/6 due to FLAT TIRE

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2011 - 03:27 AM

Like I said before, no one really gives a Fuck about the Iphone on Verizon's network. They had their chance, but now that the droids are starting to become very popular who the Fuck cares anymore?

#43 TheRock88

TheRock88

The Franchise

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2011 - 04:00 AM

Posted Image

#44 soulvengeance

soulvengeance

Beating dead horses

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2011 - 04:02 AM

Like I said before, no one really gives a Fuck about the Iphone on Verizon's network. They had their chance, but now that the droids are starting to become very popular who the Fuck cares anymore?

Lots of people. I personally don't care, but I think a bunch of people would jump ship from ATT as well as Sprint to get it.
mytradelist:
http://www.cheapassg...864#post2614864

Calls this what you may, but I would say that Blacks actually benefited from the slavery. Comparing the current lives of many African Americans to Africans, one can see that the former live in much better conditions with greater freedoms and opportunities.

#45 Brownjohn

Brownjohn

Posted 08 January 2011 - 05:44 AM

Posted Image

jim brown at #5? what's up with jim brown?
To each his own.

#46 KaneRobot

KaneRobot

The Profit$ of Doom

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2011 - 06:29 AM

jim brown at #5? what's up with jim brown?

He had a segment on the Cotton Bowl broadcast.
Posted Image

#47 lawhorns04

lawhorns04

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2011 - 06:41 AM

I have a Iphone currently, but I essentially got it for free from my old job. I absolutely hate ATT service and never had a problem with VZN, so I can't wait to go back. What current VZN phone would you get instead of the iphone?

I'm not trying to start some stupid war over what is better. I'd just like to know what y'all would recommend so that I can check it out before I go back to the iphone. Even better would be if I found a better phone that was then on sale b/c of the iphone release.

So you know, I never talk on the iphone since ATT can't give me a call without dropping it. I text a decent amount, and one of the things I have liked about the iphone was that the screen was very responsive compared to the BB storm that I had before it. I definitely use the phone as my ipod, and my 32 gig iphone is full. Other than that, I may take a photo here and there and use the internet occasionally.

So what do y'all recommend?

#48 Darknyss

Darknyss

Trophies 4TW!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2011 - 02:47 PM

I have a Iphone currently, but I essentially got it for free from my old job. I absolutely hate ATT service and never had a problem with VZN, so I can't wait to go back. What current VZN phone would you get instead of the iphone?

I'm not trying to start some stupid war over what is better. I'd just like to know what y'all would recommend so that I can check it out before I go back to the iphone. Even better would be if I found a better phone that was then on sale b/c of the iphone release.

So you know, I never talk on the iphone since ATT can't give me a call without dropping it. I text a decent amount, and one of the things I have liked about the iphone was that the screen was very responsive compared to the BB storm that I had before it. I definitely use the phone as my ipod, and my 32 gig iphone is full. Other than that, I may take a photo here and there and use the internet occasionally.

Probably a newer Android phone:

If you want/need a physical keyboard there's the Droid 2 or Droid Pro. Both have Moto's p.o.s. Blur UI so you'll likely want to download LauncherPro or ADW.

Droid X is another option is you don't want a keyboard. It has a 4.3" screen which means the device is bigger but the tradeoff is you're getting a huge screen. It also has the shitty Blur UI.

HTC's Incredible is a very good phone. It has the Sense UI, which in my opinion isn't as bad as Blur. It has a smaller form factor as well. The phone came out last spring so it's not exactly bleeding edge but still holds up to VZW's other Android offerings.

Finally, there's the Samsung Fascinate. It comes preinstalled with Samsung's TouchWiz UI. The hardware is great spec-wise, but Samsung/VZW really neutered the software by installing Bing over Google.

Are you signing a 2 year contract? Why not just wait a few more weeks for the iPhone? It should be available on Feb 3rd.

#49 lawhorns04

lawhorns04

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2011 - 03:02 PM

Thanks for your relpy. I am signing a new 2 year contract. I just wanted to see if maybe something better than the iphone is already available. I'd be willing to bet they'll give decent deals on the other phones once the iphone launches.

#50 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

Missed out on the Great Walmart glitch of 11/6 due to FLAT TIRE

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2011 - 03:51 PM

I honestly would prefer a phone that WORKS fine for more than 30 days. I think I am totally done with LG after the last two flops I've had. Reception has been good but Moto has been impressing me with their phone sizes. If this is just the Iphone 4 on VZW, then I would just stick with anything else with far superior hardware. Remember the Iphone is a "Fad" not a revolution. God knows what Verizon is going to do to cripple the iphone anyways.

#51 rusty

rusty

Broke because of CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2011 - 03:55 PM

Probably a newer Android phone:

If you want/need a physical keyboard there's the Droid 2 or Droid Pro. Both have Moto's p.o.s. Blur UI so you'll likely want to download LauncherPro or ADW.

Droid X is another option is you don't want a keyboard. It has a 4.3" screen which means the device is bigger but the tradeoff is you're getting a huge screen. It also has the shitty Blur UI.

HTC's Incredible is a very good phone. It has the Sense UI, which in my opinion isn't as bad as Blur. It has a smaller form factor as well. The phone came out last spring so it's not exactly bleeding edge but still holds up to VZW's other Android offerings.

Finally, there's the Samsung Fascinate. It comes preinstalled with Samsung's TouchWiz UI. The hardware is great spec-wise, but Samsung/VZW really neutered the software by installing Bing over Google.

Are you signing a 2 year contract? Why not just wait a few more weeks for the iPhone? It should be available on Feb 3rd.

Thanks for your relpy. I am signing a new 2 year contract. I just wanted to see if maybe something better than the iphone is already available. I'd be willing to bet they'll give decent deals on the other phones once the iphone launches.

It really comes down to personal preference. Go to an Apple store and try out the iphone. Go to a verizon store and try out the droid/BB phones. Get whichever one you like best.

Xbox One | Titanfall

Homebrew PC | CS:S | CS:GO | Skyrim

#52 keithp

keithp

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2011 - 04:07 PM

Like I said before, no one really gives a Fuck about the Iphone on Verizon's network. who the Fuck cares anymore?

Remember the Iphone is a "Fad" not a revolution.

http://t3.gstatic.co...LjM2FJFT_pt6HjL

Congratulations, I have a new sig.

#53 Immortal fWd

Immortal fWd

O&A Party Rock!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2011 - 04:36 PM

I do. In Tucson I've never had one problem with AT&T and my iPhone. But I've been in Vegas for CES since Thursday and AT&T blows up here. I've had the worst time getting anything to work. I'll be going back to Verizon for sure, plus, it lets me get back on the same plan with my wife to save some money.

Posted Image

#54 DestroVega

DestroVega

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2011 - 05:28 PM

Let's see what you think of that statement when the lines are back at the Apple and Verizon stores Feb. 3rd.

Just because you don't care, doesn't mean people don't.

#55 QiG

QiG

I'm all out of gum..

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2011 - 05:30 PM

I would recommend you hold off until the next generation of phones comes out (it will be 1Q or early 2Q) because the hardware will be significantly better than what's been out the past year. I have Verizon and the original Motorola Droid and over a year later, it still runs like a champ. But I'll also add that I've taken the time to learn how to root and install custom roms to stay ahead of the OTA updates.. but I'm on 2.2.1 which is the most current OTA update anyway.

I'll champion Android phones based on the fact that it is designed with customization and flexibility in mind versus Apples interface which seems to be designed around being simple and universal. I believe they both accomplish what they set out to do extremely well but it will come down to whether you feel like you might want to tinker with your phone.. and if you do, the android community is absolutely great with their support.
Posted Image

#56 Darknyss

Darknyss

Trophies 4TW!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2011 - 07:24 PM

Remember the Iphone is a "Fad" not a revolution.

God knows what Verizon is going to do to cripple the iphone anyways.

You really have no idea what you're talking about so it's probably a good idea to just stop.

#57 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 08 January 2011 - 07:33 PM

I'll champion Android phones based on the fact that it is designed with customization and flexibility in mind versus Apples interface which seems to be designed around being simple and universal. I believe they both accomplish what they set out to do extremely well but it will come down to whether you feel like you might want to tinker with your phone.. and if you do, the android community is absolutely great with their support.

I'm mixed on which I prefer there honestly. I'm not much a tinkerer, and like stuff that just works--especially when it comes to phones.

With the iPad (my girlfriend has one) I hate the lack of flexibility, having to use iTunes etc., not sure I'd mind with a phone that I was just using for calls, texts some light web browsing/e-mail and random apps.

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#58 TheRock88

TheRock88

The Franchise

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2011 - 08:31 PM

You really have no idea what you're talking about so it's probably a good idea to just stop.

The scary thing is he's a teacher...

#59 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2011 - 09:15 PM

I honestly don't think this is going to be as big as everyone thinks. Most people who really want an iphone, and I mean those whose first worry is the phone, probably already have one through AT&T. Everyone else who saw AT&T and ran away screaming probably already bought something on another network and signed a contract.
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. -George Carlin

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” -Mark Twain

“When a great genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign; that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." -Jonathon Swift

#60 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 08 January 2011 - 09:17 PM

I honestly don't think this is going to be as big as everyone thinks. Most people who really want an iphone, and I mean those whose first worry is the phone, probably already have one through AT&T. Everyone else who saw AT&T and ran away screaming probably already bought something on another network and signed a contract.

Disagree. Pretty much all my friends and family are on Verizon and a lot of them are always saying how they want an iPhone but don't want to leave Verizon because the coverage is great and all their friends and family are on it and they don't want to lose the free in network calling etc.

There will probably be some waiting on contracts to expire etc. though for sure. Mines up in a few months so I'll give it some thought. Still just not sure I can justify paying for a data plan given how seldom I'd use the 3G since I'm not on the go much these days.

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection