iPhone on Verizon thread... (It's no longer speculation.)

DestroVega

CAGiversary!
After reading the Bloomberg report last October about Verizon obtaining the iPhone possibly this month, I'm still reading stories about it's chance of landing with Verizon this month.

Figured we could use a thread with any credible evidence or rumors going around.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it were coming this month, there would already be preorders set up. It might get announced this month, but wont be out for a few more at least.

I've heard mid Febuary launch. I know it's coming out for sure. Around two weeks ago accessory preorders started to leak. Goods are in production now. That's the business I've worked in for the last ten years. I was actually surprised to hear it was coming before the LTE handset rollout. It wouldn't make sense to get a CDMA 3G iPhone with 4G LTE handsets right around the corner. The top end phones that are coming this spring are all going to be 1ghz dual core. Although I don't know anything spec wise on it so maybe Apple/Verizon will shock everyone and it will be 4G capable.

Last edited by a moderator:
The stock prices of both have been driven strongly higher in recent months. It looks like the worst kept secret on Wall St.

Honestly I don't think many verizon users care anymore about the Iphone coming to Verizon. They have already switched to android phones and seem to be happy with it. Knowing how Verizon likes to tinker/cripple their phones before release, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the Iphone's features are disabled/missing when it goes on sale for Verizon.

Doesn't Verizon sell iPads now? I would think the iPhone coming is a foregone conclusion. Either way, I have 1.5 years left on my AT&T contract and I don't think it matters - I've been very happy with the service and coverage so far. I might switch down the road if it is easy enough but that's only because I have Verizon for my FIOS TV/internet and home phone and it would be good to consolidate.

Not going to happen in Feb. No way, no how. Apple is still under exclusivity and unless Verizon shells out the money for timed exclusivity, it'll also go to T-mobile, which makes more sense considering the current technology used. The earliest timeframe I see is the usual annual iphone "update" and then release in Q3. This is assuming Apple has their LTE handset up and running right now, but for the iphone4, never going to happen. I hate how boygenius drums up hits with this crap.

^Well you have one guy saying he is in the business and pre-orders are leaking for accessories. Part of the thread was to gather "rumors" because obviously nothing official is going to come out, but you are basically just stating an opinion based on nothing, really.

Apple is notorious for not adopting brand new technologies immediately. Sure, they release innovative products, but they never adopt the latest and greatest technologies. Ergo, I doubt they release an LTE phone before 2012 (The "iPhone 6") on ATT or VZW. However, they already have CDMA iPhones in other parts of the world, so I doubt it would be too difficult to make a VZW compatible iPhone 4 or 5. The real problem is their ATT contract til 2012.

One thing is sure: Ziv is correct. They will announce it at some point, then it will be 3-6 months before it actually releases. Summer release (like they've done with ATT the last 4 years) is much more reasonable than the Jan/Feb release some people are talknig about.

However: It's all speculation. Until you get a REAL prototype or some kind of obvious leak (like with iphone 4 on gizmodo or the ipad leak in early 2010), there is no reason to find any rumor credible. Apple deals in secrecy, and you probably won't know what they're doing until right before they do it.

That said, I'll probably be getting the iPhone the day they release it on VZW.

About that accessory part...do you know how many accessories there are for that damn thing? If the Iphone is coming to Verizon, do you think it will be the current model or something larger/thinner?

[quote name='DestroVega']^Well you have one guy saying he is in the business and pre-orders are leaking for accessories. Part of the thread was to gather "rumors" because obviously nothing official is going to come out, but you are basically just stating an opinion based on nothing, really.[/QUOTE]
Are rumors the new "facts" or something? Not surprising considering Fox News is #1 I suppose. :roll:

So you'd rather believe someone that tells you what you want to hear as opposed to the entire lack of coverage or news from a few of the more reputable mobile news sites. Rumors about a Verizon iphone have been around since the the 2G and if you want to go with those "leaks" as "evidence," then the T-mobile iphone will most certainly be announced as well because they're also selling iphone cables.:bouncy:

Please tell me how your "speculation" is more valid than my "speculation." It's not like my "opinion" follows any release trends or lack of news amirite.:drool:

I seriously think you should re-read what's been posted on this thread.

[quote name='rusty']Apple is notorious for not adopting brand new technologies immediately. Sure, they release innovative products, but they never adopt the latest and greatest technologies. Ergo, I doubt they release an LTE phone before 2012 (The "iPhone 6") on ATT or VZW. However, they already have CDMA iPhones in other parts of the world, so I doubt it would be too difficult to make a VZW compatible iPhone 4 or 5. The real problem is their ATT contract til 2012.[/QUOTE]
Technically speaking, yes. There are "CDMA" phones in other parts of the world. Heck, they're even on this side of the hemisphere on ATT, but Verizon/Sprint CDMA/EVDO is different from WCDMA/HSDPA/HSUPA/HSPA+/UTMS. They're similar, but incompatible with eachother.

[quote name='dohdough']Are rumors the new "facts" or something? Not surprising considering Fox News is #1 I suppose. :roll:

So you'd rather believe someone that tells you what you want to hear as opposed to the entire lack of coverage or news from a few of the more reputable mobile news sites. Rumors about a Verizon iphone have been around since the the 2G and if you want to go with those "leaks" as "evidence," then the T-mobile iphone will most certainly be announced as well because they're also selling iphone cables.:bouncy:

Please tell me how your "speculation" is more valid than my "speculation." It's not like my "opinion" follows any release trends or lack of news amirite.:drool:

I seriously think you should re-read what's been posted on this thread.[/QUOTE]

I've read all of it, thanks.

My point was, you stated your opinion but definitively said there is no way it's going to happen.

One guy in the intdustry above says based on what he sees going on in his industry, it's definitely coming.

Bloomberg reported in October they had sources saying Apple was working on the Verizon version.

So again, why is your opinion more meaningful than those two statements?

The rumors definitely seem a lot more solid this time for sure. I'd be surprised if it didn't' come out sometime this year.

I don't really care much as I still don't think I can bring myself to pay for a data plan when I spend most of my time near a laptop or desktop anyway.

[quote name='dohdough']Technically speaking, yes. There are "CDMA" phones in other parts of the world. Heck, they're even on this side of the hemisphere on ATT, but Verizon/Sprint CDMA/EVDO is different from WCDMA/HSDPA/HSUPA/HSPA+/UTMS. They're similar, but incompatible with eachother.[/QUOTE]

I figured that may be the case. Either way, Apple has made the effort to insert different cell phone technologies into the iPhone, so I guess it's possible for VZW too. Although I really doubt we'll see it this year.

If I had to wager, I'm guessing VZW gets the iPhone when the LTE version comes out (I'm betting simultaneously) for ATT and VZW, which I think will be Summer 2012. Who knows...

[quote name='DestroVega']I've read all of it, thanks.

My point was, you stated your opinion but definitively said there is no way it's going to happen.

One guy in the intdustry above says based on what he sees going on in his industry, it's definitely coming.

Bloomberg reported in October they had sources saying Apple was working on the Verizon version.

So again, why is your opinion more meaningful than those two statements?[/QUOTE]
Here are 4 sources for your 2.

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2008/09/29/rumor-an-iphone-for-verizon-in-2009/

http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2009/10/30/why-apples-iphone-is-still-not-coming-to-verizon/

http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/apr2009/tc20090427_328264.htm

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/verizon-and-the-iphone-nothing-to-report-today-but/17030

Gsmarena, Mobile-Review, Engadget, Howardforums...absolutely nothing.

Previous 4 models were announced and then released in the summer.

You're equating rumors with evidence.

Rumor: Bloomberg reported that they have inside sources.
Rumor: Some random guy on CAG says he has preorders for accessories.

Fact: Rumors about a Verizon iphone have been around since it's initial release in 07.
Fact: All iphone iterations have been released in the summer.

The iphone 4 will never be released in it's current model for Verizon. iphone 4.5, maybe, but also unlikely. iphone 5, now we're talking more realisically.

So far I've seen listings for around 20 phone specific products from 3 different manufacturers with ETA's from 1/28-4/11. These are just dates for the accessories which can and probably will change once the phone is closer to release. The accessories don't show compatabilty with current iPhone models, but that doesn't mean it's going to be a different size. It could mean something as simple as a slight change in side button layout. The only other thing I've noticed is in the last couple days a bunch of manufacturers have started clearing out iPhone4 specific stuff. That's kind of odd.

[quote name='ITDEFX']About that accessory part...do you know how many accessories there are for that damn thing? If the Iphone is coming to Verizon, do you think it will be the current model or something larger/thinner?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='DestroVega']^ You link four sources from April of 2009???

LOL

come on man.[/QUOTE]
Right, because rumors haven't been circulating since the iphone was released. Which is the reason why I dug up old reports. :roll:

I'm sure the fact that there were several rumors last year as well from Bloomberg and WSJ are still fresh in our brains.

The Xperia X10 will get a newer version of Android before the iphone 4 goes to Verizon. If you get this joke without looking it up, you'll know where I'm coming from.

There's nothing in Verizon's billing system that indicates new iPhone specific features. When The Android stuff was rolling out said system was suddenly overloaded with another 30 or so features. Until I see those features, I KNOW for a fact that iPhone isn't anywhere near being released.

I tinker in the billing system for a good 5 hours a day for various reasons as a large part of my job.

[quote name='javeryh']Doesn't Verizon sell iPads now? I would think the iPhone coming is a foregone conclusion. Either way, I have 1.5 years left on my AT&T contract and I don't think it matters - I've been very happy with the service and coverage so far. I might switch down the road if it is easy enough but that's only because I have Verizon for my FIOS TV/internet and home phone and it would be good to consolidate.[/QUOTE]

Notice the part about Verizon currently selling iPads already, the iPhone is just a matter of time, especially with the 4G coming.

their keynote starts in about 20 minutes, you can stream live by registering here and clicking "view webcast" on the next page after that. there's no e-mail confirmation or anything, so feel free to enter a fake email address so you can watch live.

i think if it's coming out this year, they'll announce it here.

the iPad deal is a licensing agreement that is a manuever on VZW's part to move their little hotspot wireless modems.

[quote name='dohdough']Big surprise. No iphone4 for Verizon announcement.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. iPhone 4 on Verizon is vaporware.

[quote name='Jabrim']Notice the part about Verizon currently selling iPads already, the iPhone is just a matter of time, especially with the 4G coming.[/QUOTE]
You know who else sells iPads? Target.

OMG iPHONE on TARGET! TARGET WIRELESS!!

I saw the CEO or some big shit on CNBC today at the CES show and they he wouldn't speak to the gal interviewing him about the iPhone but was talking about their new upgraded network which sounds really really good he was sly and said with the new network they are rolling out EVERYONE is gonna want to be a part of our network.

Everyone I know on Verizon loves the service and i'm sure their plans would beat ATT as about anything would... I pay $87 a month AFTER a 15% corporate partner discount for unlimited data and txt and the smallest minutes package: 450 anytime minutes and 5000 night/weekends + i'm sitting on 4800 rollover minutes lol. I love my 4 and guess i'll have to skip the 4S or whatever this years release will be to swap services next year when my plan expires. Alot of people talk shit about them charging you $200 or $300 for the new phon each year but you can easily make money selling your old phone on Ebay, i've done it every year. Just sucks that they hit you with a 2 year contract each time.

Yeah, I've had nothing but good experiences with verizon.

On top of that it's what the vast majority of my friends and family have, so I wouldn't want to leave and lose the unlimited in network calling.

Still mixed one whether I want a smart phone when my current 2 year contract is up in a few months. I don't care that much about iPhone either way, would probably opt for Android and avoid Apple's walled garden crap.

I like Verizon and there are a lot of great phones available besides the iPhone. I think when Verizon does manage to get the iPhone...the iPhone 6 would be out for all the cell companies.

I don't know about Verizon, but I do think that AT&T and Apple's relationship is changing. It's been my belief that AT&T has purposefully kept out any good Android phones for fear it would hurt iPhone sales. Now they're about to get some great Android handsets, so they don't seem as worried any more. You could take that as AT&T losing confidence in the device, or that they aren't worried about pissing Apple off anymore.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Apple shopping the iPhone to other carriers in the near future. Basically I think the Apple/AT&T honeymoon is over.

Well, AT&T only has exclusivity until 2012, so they have to get ready for the future as there's no chance that the iPhone isn't on multiple carriers at that point as that's how Apple can make the most money.

Well, two more nuggets to share.

My brother knows someone who works for the local Apple Store, they have told employees the last week of Jan and first 2 of Feb, they can not request time off.

My friend who works for Verizon just sent me this text, "A lot of signs pointing to Feb. 3"

take them for what you will.

Just heard something similar, but I'm curious as to how the whole exclusivity thing is going to work...

Also, why the hell haven't they done the buildout for such an event in their billing system is beyond me. These aren't the kinds of things that work with the flip of a switch.

Would the billing really be any different than for the other smart phones? Same data plans will be offered I'd asssume, and I'd think it would be simple to adapt the Android App purchase system for the iPhone App store.

Maybe it's more complex than that though.

Verizon's scheduled a media event this upcoming Tuesday (11th). In addition to Apple saying that they're not letting their store employees having days off during Feb 3-6, it's probably safe to assume that the Verizon iPhone rumors might be real.

[quote name='TheRock88']Verizon's scheduled a media event this upcoming Tuesday (11th). In addition to Apple saying that they're not letting their store employees having days off during Feb 3-6, it's probably safe to assume that the Verizon iPhone rumors might be real.[/QUOTE]
Exactly. Plus, when you factor in who got invites to the event (Apple-specific bloggers and Gizmodo did not), it makes it even more believable. Can't fucking wait! :bouncy:

It opens up options for me in the future, the familky and I were going to switch over to Verizon and get some Droids when I got back to the states.

Like I said before, no one really gives a fuck about the Iphone on Verizon's network. They had their chance, but now that the droids are starting to become very popular who the fuck cares anymore?

verizonh.jpg

[quote name='ITDEFX']Like I said before, no one really gives a fuck about the Iphone on Verizon's network. They had their chance, but now that the droids are starting to become very popular who the fuck cares anymore?[/QUOTE]

Lots of people. I personally don't care, but I think a bunch of people would jump ship from ATT as well as Sprint to get it.

I have a Iphone currently, but I essentially got it for free from my old job. I absolutely hate ATT service and never had a problem with VZN, so I can't wait to go back. What current VZN phone would you get instead of the iphone?

I'm not trying to start some stupid war over what is better. I'd just like to know what y'all would recommend so that I can check it out before I go back to the iphone. Even better would be if I found a better phone that was then on sale b/c of the iphone release.

So you know, I never talk on the iphone since ATT can't give me a call without dropping it. I text a decent amount, and one of the things I have liked about the iphone was that the screen was very responsive compared to the BB storm that I had before it. I definitely use the phone as my ipod, and my 32 gig iphone is full. Other than that, I may take a photo here and there and use the internet occasionally.

So what do y'all recommend?

[quote name='lawhorns04']I have a Iphone currently, but I essentially got it for free from my old job. I absolutely hate ATT service and never had a problem with VZN, so I can't wait to go back. What current VZN phone would you get instead of the iphone?

I'm not trying to start some stupid war over what is better. I'd just like to know what y'all would recommend so that I can check it out before I go back to the iphone. Even better would be if I found a better phone that was then on sale b/c of the iphone release.

So you know, I never talk on the iphone since ATT can't give me a call without dropping it. I text a decent amount, and one of the things I have liked about the iphone was that the screen was very responsive compared to the BB storm that I had before it. I definitely use the phone as my ipod, and my 32 gig iphone is full. Other than that, I may take a photo here and there and use the internet occasionally.

So what do y'all recommend?[/QUOTE]
Probably a newer Android phone:

If you want/need a physical keyboard there's the Droid 2 or Droid Pro. Both have Moto's p.o.s. Blur UI so you'll likely want to download LauncherPro or ADW.

Droid X is another option is you don't want a keyboard. It has a 4.3" screen which means the device is bigger but the tradeoff is you're getting a huge screen. It also has the shitty Blur UI.

HTC's Incredible is a very good phone. It has the Sense UI, which in my opinion isn't as bad as Blur. It has a smaller form factor as well. The phone came out last spring so it's not exactly bleeding edge but still holds up to VZW's other Android offerings.

Finally, there's the Samsung Fascinate. It comes preinstalled with Samsung's TouchWiz UI. The hardware is great spec-wise, but Samsung/VZW really neutered the software by installing Bing over Google.

Are you signing a 2 year contract? Why not just wait a few more weeks for the iPhone? It should be available on Feb 3rd.

bread's done
Back