Skylanders - Toys brought to life, Cross-platform Connectivity *Giants Out Now*

• Please log in to reply
2458 replies to this topic

#1351 icpmattj

icpmattj

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 October 2012 - 12:21 AM

I've been looking on ebay and it seems some skylanders giants figures are already for sale on there and they are not pre orders they are from sellers who have them in hand already.Been looking there so i know what ones to expect to be in stores come the 21st.

Also i agree with it being lame that they are making triple packs with only 1 new character and 2 old ones redone. I will be avoiding triple packs this time for sure and will just stick to the single packs. Already have all the skylanders from the first game and there's no way the kids are getting all the re releases this time around.

#1352 thelonepig

thelonepig

Greasy Pork Pirates!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 October 2012 - 12:24 AM

Based on this week's Walmart ad, it looks like Pop Fizz, Crusher, and Lightcore Prism Break will be available as single pack releases on Sunday.

#1353 bilbobagins3

bilbobagins3

HHH Buries Everyone!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 October 2012 - 12:33 AM

See the link below for all the figures that should be released in wave 1, i.e. available on release day. Rumor has it Walmart may be releasing the figures starting tomorrow, so the only official store exclusives, day 1, are the Granite Crusher from Target, and the Legendary Triple Pack (Ignitor, Wham Bam, Jet-Vac) and Legendary Giant (Bouncer) from Toys R Us.

My day 1 plan.

Hit Walmart this week and look for Swarm, Fright Rider, and the Lightcores (Drobot, Eruptor, Prism Break)
8am Sunday try to get Granite Crusher from Target
10am Sunday try to get the 4 Legendaries from TRU
11am Sunday pick up my Portal Owner Pack and hopefully any figures I don't get at Walmart at Gamestop

Even though I did get all 37 figures for the first game, I literally did not care about Regular Spyro, Chop Chop, Bash, Trigger Happy or Dark Spyro. I just want all the characters with their best in game stats. I plan on purchasing around 25 figures total for Giants.

8 Giants
8 Lightcore
4 New characters that don't get lightcore
4-6 Legendaries

The series 2 new upgrade path and extra power is not enticing to me. I'll end up with a few eventually if they have great sales like B1G1 or something, but overall they made too many figures this time around. Once you take into account variants (Legendaries, Pop, Winter, Gnarly, Royal), we are easily looking at 60 figures. 37 felt like a lot but 60+ additional gets crazy. I may get the series 2 figures over time, but I will sell off my series 1 versions of those 24 to help cancel some of the cost. I love the series and collecting the figures, but the reposing just rubs me the wrong way. If they were all lightcore, I would have been less upset, because at least they would have looked cool, but they have said they added the reposes basically to sell more, period. They said they could have added upgrades to the original figures, they simple chose not to, so those of us who did buy all the original ones would have a reason other then just a new pose, to buy. I won't be a part of that at retail, and sure not at eBay mark-up.

Sorry to rant, just wanted to get that out. Enjoy the video and get pumped for this week the game itself looks really fun and the new figures still have me really excited.

#1354 io

io

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:08 AM

Isn't there also the GS-exclusive battle pack (with ShroomBoom) day 1?

What chaps me is that they are releasing some of the new small figured in both regular and light core versions. And of course I bet, for the most part, the regulars will come out first and then later the light cores so people end up buying both.

I didn't realize the game releases so soon. I better renew my Prime membership so I get faster shipping. It ran out the day I preordered (d'oh!) so I only have the super-saver (slow) shipping. I probably wouldn't get the starter pack until next Friday (the 26th) at the earliest.

Do we know a price on the giant figures? I might try to get that legendary at TRU. I'm hesitant to pick up the other 3-pack though since it has 3 chars I already have (would have 2 Jet-Vacs after the one in the starter pack). And I didn't know about that Target one. I really wonder how many people will be out buying these things up on Sunday... I also might try Walmart tomorrow but I'm not going out of my way - may go in the evening if you guys report finding them. That may be too late, but meh...

And I'll add that I'm a little mad at myself for considering running around to buy these at full price ;). Who would have thought?

#1355 bilbobagins3

bilbobagins3

HHH Buries Everyone!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:19 AM

Isn't there also the GS-exclusive battle pack (with ShroomBoom) day 1?

What chaps me is that they are releasing some of the new small figured in both regular and light core versions. And of course I bet, for the most part, the regulars will come out first and then later the light cores so people end up buying both.

I didn't realize the game releases so soon. I better renew my Prime membership so I get faster shipping. It ran out the day I preordered (d'oh!) so I only have the super-saver (slow) shipping. I probably wouldn't get the starter pack until next Friday (the 26th) at the earliest.

Do we know a price on the giant figures? I might try to get that legendary at TRU. I'm hesitant to pick up the other 3-pack though since it has 3 chars I already have (would have 2 Jet-Vacs after the one in the starter pack). And I didn't know about that Target one. I really wonder how many people will be out buying these things up on Sunday... I also might try Walmart tomorrow but I'm not going out of my way - may go in the evening if you guys report finding them. That may be too late, but meh...

And I'll add that I'm a little mad at myself for considering running around to buy these at full price ;). Who would have thought?

Giants - 14.99
Lightcore - 11.99
Triple Packs- 24.99
Single Packs- 9.99

And yes the GS exclusive Gold Cannon Pack comes out too but i could not care less about a gold cannon over a regular. I want the Legendaries for stat boosts and the Target Crusher cause he looks awesome. The Granite Crusher has nothing special statistically though.

#1356 io

io

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:30 AM

Giants - 14.99
Lightcore - 11.99
Triple Packs- 24.99
Single Packs- 9.99

And yes the GS exclusive Gold Cannon Pack comes out too but i could not care less about a gold cannon over a regular. I want the Legendaries for stat boosts and the Target Crusher cause he looks awesome. The Granite Crusher has nothing special statistically though.

Oh yeah, might as well get the Target one. I just wasn't aware of it. I also didn't realize there was a regular cannon vs. gold. I though GS was the only one getting the battle pack at all. Are you saying that other stores will have it but it will just be a regular and not a gold? I thought GS was, in effect, getting ShroomBook as an exclusive - I could care less about the cannon. If that is the case, then I am definitely not going to keep that preorder :lol:.

And of course lightcores cost more - why didn't I think of that? :roll:

Edited by io, 16 October 2012 - 04:36 AM.

#1357 Corvin

Corvin

...of Gilead

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 October 2012 - 12:35 PM

I'm still holding out some hope that since there are no Adventure packs (news to me) that these battle packs might be a little more than just multiplayer arena unlocks - but I'm not counting on it.

I'm betting it's because it's going to be tough making those pieces work in future games.

But yeah, ultra lame on the "Rape You Battle Packs."

I can confirm that Frito Lays is holding to the four per household restriction on the Sidekicks. I sent a spare form in, having accidentally filled it out with my address as opposed to my in-laws and figured I'd give it a shot anyway.

Instead I got a check for $2 and a note saying that I am no longer eligible. :(

Thanks for the heads up. I filled out my second set last night with my parents address.

#1358 bilbobagins3

bilbobagins3

HHH Buries Everyone!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 October 2012 - 10:17 PM

Oh yeah, might as well get the Target one. I just wasn't aware of it. I also didn't realize there was a regular cannon vs. gold. I though GS was the only one getting the battle pack at all. Are you saying that other stores will have it but it will just be a regular and not a gold? I thought GS was, in effect, getting ShroomBook as an exclusive - I could care less about the cannon. If that is the case, then I am definitely not going to keep that preorder :lol:.

And of course lightcores cost more - why didn't I think of that? :roll:

Other retailers will be getting the non gold version of the battle pack. You can see that in the video I posted above. Somebody on Dark Spyro forums found this pic advertising for Sunday and now I just want to get there early to get all these.

http://i1303.photobu...zps3c405875.jpg

#1359 prim4444

prim4444

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 October 2012 - 08:58 PM

TRU will have all figures B1G1 40% next week.

All wave 1 figures will be available on Sunday. Stores are getting shipments for wave 2 that will go on sale on Monday, there will be an email sent out to let people know about wave 2 availability on Monday.

#1360 io

io

Posted 17 October 2012 - 10:29 PM

TRU will have all figures B1G1 40% next week.

All wave 1 figures will be available on Sunday. Stores are getting shipments for wave 2 that will go on sale on Monday, there will be an email sent out to let people know about wave 2 availability on Monday.

What do you mean by wave 1 and wave 2?

It sounds like new figures for Giants will be B1G1 40% then starting Sunday when they come out, right? But then what is not there Sunday but coming Monday?

In other news, I got the first sidekick that my in-laws received today and it was... Gill Runt. But I might have put that as my first choice because I thought I'd get Terrabite from my own submission (and instead got Trigger Snappy). And someone on here said they had Gill Runt passed over for another so I thought it was the hard to get one.

Oh, also, yesterday (Tues) I saw some people tearing down the old Skylanders demo station and replacing it with the Giants one at my local Fred Meyer. I just went back there this evening and there are no new figures though. That is really probably the best place for me to pick them up on Sunday because it kind of gets overlooked. I found a lot of the new figures there first for the original game when new waves would hit. Sucks that they bumped prices from $8 to $10, though. I think they are still $20 on the 3-packs though. And back when I was getting them for $8 they often had 20% off accessory coupons that worked on them as well as $10 of $50 coupons that worked on any Electronics items. It is probably too much to hope for something like that this Sunday - plus I think they started excluding Skylanders from the 20% off at some point mid-year (just about when the craze was over, actually).

Edited by io, 18 October 2012 - 04:09 AM.

#1361 prim4444

prim4444

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 October 2012 - 11:00 PM

Waves are different assortments.

The wave 2 figures will be handled like other previous Skylander events.
An email will be sent out on Sunday night. Tickets will be handed out prior to the store opening. Limit one per person. If there are any tickets left, then people will be allowed to get another.

#1362 io

io

Posted 18 October 2012 - 11:23 PM

I understand what "waves" are, but I mean what is in each wave. Last time the waves of different Skylanders releases came out weeks/months apart. So it is strange for one to be Sunday and the next to be Monday. That sounds more like arbitrary separation of the figures by TRU and not true waves of released figures.

And screw the whole ticket thing. If they expect it to be like that, then I'm not going to bother going.

In other news, I just got an email from Amazon that my Skylanders Giants Starter Pack shipped today (estimated delivery on Monday).

#1363 Brother Daz

Brother Daz

Scotch and yes?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 October 2012 - 11:30 PM

I was just reading the the new collection of figures is going to cost around $500. Is there any truth to this? If so, there is no way the boy is getting the full second series collection.

#1364 nbballard

nbballard

glad you didnt say banana

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 October 2012 - 11:40 PM

Toys r us in memphis (Winchester) had the wii portal owner packs on the shelf tonight.
Spoiler

#1365 prim4444

prim4444

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 October 2012 - 11:46 PM

I understand what "waves" are, but I mean what is in each wave. Last time the waves of different Skylanders releases came out weeks/months apart. So it is strange for one to be Sunday and the next to be Monday. That sounds more like arbitrary separation of the figures by TRU and not true waves of released figures.

Everything I've read states that TRU will receive the 2nd wave first, meaning they probably have some kind of deal with Activision. These figures may arrive in stores tomorrow, but most likely stores will get them delivered on Saturday. I will be able to get info on case assortments after they come in. Stores have been instructed to hold this specific shipment for Monday.

Of course though, like the store above, there may be a few stores that just put these cases out with everything else on Sunday.

#1366 Salamando3000

Salamando3000

For Good or for Awesome

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 October 2012 - 11:54 PM

I was just reading the the new collection of figures is going to cost around $500. Is there any truth to this? If so, there is no way the boy is getting the full second series collection.

There's 8 elements. Each element has three classic characters reposed ($30), one new "basic" character($10), one Lightcore($12), and one giant($15). That's $67 to get every character released for Skylanders Giants, per element, for a total of $536 for all. That's without factoring battle packs or variants of any kind, nor does it factor in characters included with the starter set.

#1367 io

io

Posted 18 October 2012 - 11:55 PM

That may be for every new figure, including reposed original ones and maybe even both lightcore and non-lightcore versions. So I'd suspect it isn't quite that much for just the new stuff. I mean, there are 8 Giants and 8 new smaller figures, right? So at full retail that is 8 x $15 + 8 x $10 = $200. And you get one of each in the Starter Pack. So, say considering the starter pack price of $75, then the total is $75 + $200 - $15 - $10 = $250 for the game plus all 16 new figures.

Of course that assumes all the smaller figs will be available in single-packs which may not be the case. Some you might have to get in triple packs with older figures.

Still, $200, or whatever it is, is a bit too much. I may have to do what I did last time and sell a few to offset some of the cost. I hate having to do that, but they don't give me much choice ;).

#1368 Corvin

Corvin

...of Gilead

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 October 2012 - 01:48 AM

I sold quite a few to offset costs too. Just enough to essentially get my collection for under half off, probably more. Never bought more than 2 per fig though or wiped out shelves either. I've been a witness to that. There's a fine line between covering costs to build your collection and being a douchebag (insert lame internet cries of capitalism here).

I got wind of a TRU with a fresh stock of the Legendary triple back when they were rare and raced over there to nab one for my girls. As I'm walking into the electronics section some lady was leaving with a dozen of them. I'm surprised she left two on the shelf, which was fortunate for me.

And screw the whole ticket thing. If they expect it to be like that, then I'm not going to bother going.

Yeah. Having companies keep the hoarders at bay is nice, but TRU has taken it too far in the other direction.

#1369 io

io

Posted 19 October 2012 - 02:39 AM

Yeah. Having companies keep the hoarders at bay is nice, but TRU has taken it too far in the other direction.

Well, I don't mean that so much than if they expect it to be like that, then I don't stand a chance. I was going to roll in around noon or later and see what I could find. But if they are doing tickets before opening, then there's no point even showing up. And I'm not going before opening just for a chance of possibly getting a couple.

#1370 Corvin

Corvin

...of Gilead

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 October 2012 - 12:20 PM

They've been doing them random too. You get a ticket for a single new Skylander. They hand it to you at the register. You don't get to pick.

#1371 nbballard

nbballard

glad you didnt say banana

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 October 2012 - 03:55 PM

My store is doing first come first serve. The last few times I've been, some one grabs a cart, runs to the back, scoops everything into their cart and checks out- so i will be going to target.

I refuse to race someone through a store for some action figures.
Spoiler

#1372 defpally

defpally

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 October 2012 - 06:27 PM

Just an FYI, I was just back from Toys'R'Us at Concord Mills, NC. I talked to the manager at the store, the one that will be there at open on Sunday for the release. Got some good news.

They will absolutely, positively not be allowing ebayers/scalpers to clean off the shelves (at least on the first day). Even if someone tries all employees are being told to not ring them up. On Sunday, they will be limiting people in line to one per figure (you can buy as many different ones as you want). They may up it to two per if the line isn't very long. People will be let in a few at a time in order to make selections, they have enough stock that tickets will not be viable. They were building the display today.

She told me they had at least one guy come in the day they got in the shipment and tried to get them to bust the street date. He tried to put his credit card down on the entire shipment when they wouldn't budge, and they told him to take a hike. He will be told the same thing if he tries to buy them out again Sunday.

Sounds like they have grown weary of being a wholesaler for the greedy (with free returns for anything that doesn't sell) while turning away disappointed kids and parents. The employees that were standing there were nodding as I spoke to her. I'm not sure how widespread this is, but I'd recommend anyone find a store where the employees can't be bothered with worrying about it if you plan on funding your holidays with Skylanders scalping.

#1373 Corvin

Corvin

...of Gilead

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 October 2012 - 06:34 PM

I refuse to race someone through a store for some action figures.

Posted Image I'm all for walking out of a store with my dignity intact.

#1374 sterlingice

sterlingice

Former KS Deal Lackey

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 October 2012 - 06:58 PM

Just an FYI, I was just back from Toys'R'Us at Concord Mills, NC. I talked to the manager at the store, the one that will be there at open on Sunday for the release. Got some good news.

They will absolutely, positively not be allowing ebayers/scalpers to clean off the shelves (at least on the first day). Even if someone tries all employees are being told to not ring them up. On Sunday, they will be limiting people in line to one per figure (you can buy as many different ones as you want). They may up it to two per if the line isn't very long. People will be let in a few at a time in order to make selections, they have enough stock that tickets will not be viable. They were building the display today.

She told me they had at least one guy come in the day they got in the shipment and tried to get them to bust the street date. He tried to put his credit card down on the entire shipment when they wouldn't budge, and they told him to take a hike. He will be told the same thing if he tries to buy them out again Sunday.

Sounds like they have grown weary of being a wholesaler for the greedy (with free returns for anything that doesn't sell) while turning away disappointed kids and parents. The employees that were standing there were nodding as I spoke to her. I'm not sure how widespread this is, but I'd recommend anyone find a store where the employees can't be bothered with worrying about it if you plan on funding your holidays with Skylanders scalping.

That's pretty cool. Just say "No" to El Hoardo

SI

#1375 prim4444

prim4444

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:52 PM

Here are the wave 2 case breakdowns.

Singles

Flashwing x2
Sprocket x2
Sonic Boom
Hex
Grill Grunt
Stump Smash
Flame Slinger
Bash
Double Trouble
Drill Sergeant

Lightcore

Eruptor x3
Prism Break x3
Drobot x2
Jet Vac x4

Giants

Hot Head x2
Swarm x2
Bouncer
Crusher

#1376 dragonjud

dragonjud

Got games, but no time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 October 2012 - 03:02 AM

Here are the wave 2 case breakdowns.

Singles

Flashwing x2
Sprocket x2
Sonic Boom
Hex
Grill Grunt
Stump Smash
Flame Slinger
Bash
Double Trouble
Drill Sergeant

Lightcore

Eruptor x3
Prism Break x3
Drobot x2
Jet Vac x4

Giants

Hot Head x2
Swarm x2
Bouncer
Crusher

Interesting. It seems there're no real timed exclusives this time around.
You listed Crusher, which I thought was a Target exclusive, but apparently the Target figure just has a different paint job.
The same is true of the Gamestop 'exclusive', where the only difference is that the 3 pack's useless cannon figure is painted a different color.

Really just care about the individual new figures (regardless of color), so I'll be glad if I can purchase them wherever it's convenient.

#1377 LLeopardGGecko

LLeopardGGecko

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 October 2012 - 06:33 AM

Why in the hell doesn't Toys R Us put a per customer purchase limit on these figures?

I've also experienced the crazy people literally filling up an entire cart with close to all the in-stock Skylanders upon release.

Seems absolutely simple: Limit 1 unique figure per customer. And make a conscious effort to catch people getting back in line to purchase duplicates.

Thermodynamics? Not in the least.

#1378 Prison Mike

Prison Mike

Don't Drop The Soap

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 October 2012 - 10:26 AM

Looks like the Toys R Us just updated the site with new Giants figures including the Legendary variants

#1379 Corvin

Corvin

...of Gilead

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 October 2012 - 01:51 PM

All I see is Bouncer Legendary.

#1380 defpally

defpally

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 October 2012 - 01:54 PM

Why in the hell doesn't Toys R Us put a per customer purchase limit on these figures?

I've also experienced the crazy people literally filling up an entire cart with close to all the in-stock Skylanders upon release.

Seems absolutely simple: Limit 1 unique figure per customer. And make a conscious effort to catch people getting back in line to purchase duplicates.

Thermodynamics? Not in the least.

They are doing that, at least in my store. Read my post above. I talked to the manager that will be there Sunday and she was very adamant they would not be allowing the scalpers to do that.

The scalpers will have lots of other store options to do that, I'm sure - but not this one. Besides, the volume of figures is going to be much higher than the last game, and apparently Activision is prepared. If there is an artificially created shortage, it will be short lived and probably not very profitable beyond the first week or so for ebayers. The Giants section is well over twice the size of the section for the original game at any point in the last year.