Skylanders - Toys brought to life, Cross-platform Connectivity *Giants Out Now*

My son and I have been really enjoying the game, my daughter who is not much of a gamer even played a bit so I got her Stealth Elf as that seems to be the only female character.

I have the 360 version, has anyone else had problems with the portal? It works perfectly most of the time, however today with one character (sonic boom) it would sometimes not register, and with two players when the second would join it would completely remove the first players character and give the first player the newly added one. I don't know if this would be a sensitive figurine or if I should just exchange my copy of the game/portal.

I know Jeff Gertsman from Giantbomb has bought all the figures, I'm sure they'll have some funny videos about the game.

OK for people with kids, how old are they and can they play this game? My son is 5 and a half, really wants this. Would he actually be able to do anything in it?

[quote name='crax']OK for people with kids, how old are they and can they play this game? My son is 5 and a half, really wants this. Would he actually be able to do anything in it?[/QUOTE]

My son is 7 and he is about to finish the game. It is pretty straight forward and makes a great first action rpg. I think your son at 5 could handle it and would really like it, I also think you would enjoy playing with him if he ever did need help.

I purchased the Starter kit from Kmart (Game+3 figures) on 360, The first time I tried to use Spyro on the portal I get a white screen error (says their is something wrong with the toy), the other 2 figures work perfectly, how does one fix this? I heard reports about the Spyro error on the PC game but not 360 (then again I believe the Portal on PC/360 are same)

does anyone know if the web game stats factor into the regular game at all? you can level up your character from 1-10 in that game as well, collect money, and whatnot. It shows up on your figure if you look at their stats in the 3DS or the PS3, but I don't know what it means.

Also- i'm not too far into the game, but I noticed that the store has some item that shows how much of a discount you will get on moves- looks like a little blue rock, or a butterfly or something. Whats that?

[quote name='nbballard']does anyone know if the web game stats factor into the regular game at all? you can level up your character from 1-10 in that game as well, collect money, and whatnot. It shows up on your figure if you look at their stats in the 3DS or the PS3, but I don't know what it means.

Also- i'm not too far into the game, but I noticed that the store has some item that shows how much of a discount you will get on moves- looks like a little blue rock, or a butterfly or something. Whats that?[/QUOTE]

The first butterfly appears after you beat a certain chapter. After that you can find them on the safe island hidden in various places as you unlock more island.

If money you get on the PC play transfers to the console that's pretty awesome. Some of my characters are running low and I don't feel like rerunning stages too much.

ALSO the dodge 30 sharks trophy is much more of a bitch than I thought it would be.

I don't think the web money transfers over to the console version- but there is a tab on your character stats that shows what your SSU rank is for that character.

I think the money is used to buy stuff for your home base- such as a larger island, different types of trees, etc.

It appears to be just for decoration, but i'd imagine that a larger island would contain more plants and activies to earn experience.

[quote name='crax']OK for people with kids, how old are they and can they play this game? My son is 5 and a half, really wants this. Would he actually be able to do anything in it?[/QUOTE]

My boys are 6 and 4... they love it. They were/are Pokemaniacs and now all the want/play/talk about is Skylanders. Hell I imagine just putting the guys on the portal is a kick ass feeling for the kids, seeing them explode into the game.

I mainly bought this game to flip since I got it from the Kmart Glitch ($50 off any game automatically), but then I read about it and sounded interesting, opened it up and wow its a pretty fun game even for adults. I like it because its essently a modern day Gauntlet legends/RPG. The concept is very well done. Only thing my figure that came with Starter Kit (Spyro) does not work at all. I think it would be a hasstle exchanging it at Kmart because I only paid $19.99 instead of $70, and they might ask about the glitched coupon.

So any more impressions of the game? I'm thinking about getting this for my son for Christmas. He couldn't get enough of it at the Kiosk at TRU. He's 4 but he is pretty awesome at games.

Well, Santa brought Skylanders and 4 extra figures for my son for Christmas. This game is awesome for him. It is really fun and when he isn't playing the game he is playing with the figures. I think Santa screwed up picking out the extra guys though because he has 2 tech guys and two magic guys and there are some groups where he has none. I may need to remedy that this week. This game definitely won Christmas in my house.

[quote name='Javery']Well, Santa brought Skylanders and 4 extra figures for my son for Christmas. This game is awesome for him. It is really fun and when he isn't playing the game he is playing with the figures. I think Santa screwed up picking out the extra guys though because he has 2 tech guys and two magic guys and there are some groups where he has none. I may need to remedy that this week. This game definitely won Christmas in my house.[/QUOTE]

Heh - good luck finding figures. They are tough to find now. I think a lot of people went out after Christmas to pick up the ones they needed and/or wanted. Fortunately Santa had brought my son one of each element because he did his homework on what was needed for the game. I don't know what the hell he was thinking when he went to your house ;).

Still, though, my son decided he had to have Stump Smash (in addition to the Stealth Elf he already got). Fortunately, the 3-pack with that and 2 others he didn't have was available at GS, though it took some calling around to get one held. When we got there the other 3-packs were being held for other customers so it was a good thing we did that in advance.

So he's got quite the collection now. I know those questions are from a while back, but as for age, my son is 9 and he can get through most of the game easily enough. Too much younger than that, though, and they might have some trouble with the boss fights in any case. I had to help him with the Undead world boss fight tonight. His 4 year old brother loves swapping the characters out and pushing the attack button to see what they do (his favorite: Dino-Rang). But he doesn't even get the concept of moving the character with the left stick, so he doesn't really play. So my 9 year-old can't really do anything when his younger brother is around. It is really an odd thing, because both of my older boys could play Mario Sunshine and the like when they were 4. And if anything, the youngest is far more athletic and coordinated in general. He just doesn't get video games.

As for the game, another problem we keep having is the game freezing up. My 9 year-old was trying to get through that Undead section and it froze 5 or 6 times including once when he was nearly done with the boss. And when you start it back up you have to do the entire level over again. This is the PS3 version.

I also got him the 3DS version (cheap via B2G1 at Best Buy so I figured why the hell not - I sold Dark Spyro and Ignitor on eBay for about $60 to more than pay it off) but we haven't played that yet. Is it exactly the same game?

At some point I'll have to play for the trophies. But that final where you have to beat the end boss without swapping out any characters I think may be pretty hard. We had to use about 10 chars just to get through the Undead level.

yeah... I went to three stores yesterday (two Targets and a TRU) and the shelves were completely picked clean - not a single Skylander! So annoying. We are going to hit a few Best Buys and GameStops this morning and see if we can get lucky.

Sounds like your family is having a lot of fun with the game. We haven't really gotten into it yet since we were traveling for the holidays but so far my son has done 3 or 4 levels all by himself which is great - loves swapping out the characters but Gill Grunt is by far his favorite. It looks really neat with all of the leveling up and stuff you can buy for your characters. If they ever get a Marvel or Star Wars license and make a kick ass game to go around the figures I will never leave my house.... and I'll be broke.

Santa was too busy this year to pay attention so he left it up to Mrs. Claus to get all the required Skylanders. He should have known better. We need the Air, Undead and Life classes. I'm just going to grab whatever he doesn't have though assuming I can find them. Maybe some shipments will hit today? TRU and some other stores had them in their Sunday ad so hopefully they are trying to keep them in stock.

Gave my nephew the Wii version for Xmas and made sure he had 1 of each element. My mom called me the next day to tell me he sat at her house and played it for 5 hours the next day. Sounds like that's an approval.

I have a full set of figures myself- but my house was robbed recently, and the disk was stolen. Trying to decide if I want to look for a replacement or if I should just give him my figures.

[quote name='io']Is it exactly the same game?

At some point I'll have to play for the trophies. But that final where you have to beat the end boss without swapping out any characters I think may be pretty hard. We had to use about 10 chars just to get through the Undead level.[/QUOTE]

The 3DS game is a different game. It's more like classic spyro / Crash. You have a jump, and you are navigating platforms. It's ok- kids would probably like it better than I did.

One other thing- it's a pain to check your characters in and out of that game. You basically log them in, 2 characters at a time so that the game becomes portable and you don't have to have the portal with you all the time. As a result- your experience doesn't automatically update the figure. To update your stats, you have to re-sync the character with the game. It was a bit confusing when I was playing it on 2 system and my stats were updating in a strange way.

The experience and hats transfer over to the 3DS (and back), but the unlocks are your character grows are different.

The last boss bit wasn't too bad- you just need to max out someone. Gill Grunt is a beast when he is maxed out, so it wasn't too hard.

OK, thanks for that info. We'll max out Gill Grunt then.

Javery - Yeah, GS and Best Buy are better options that Target and TRU most likely. We did stop in TRU a few days ago and they had a ton of the Darklight Crypt and a few single packs but nothing worth getting (for us anyway).

I would imagine more shipments are on the way unless they have a supply issue. Who knows. It would be in their interest to strike while the iron is hot though.

I wonder how this is going to be handled going forward? There are still some unreleased characters. But since the game itself is somewhat short I'm not sure what good new chars will do for those who have played it already. I guess if they come out in new level packs that is one way to extend the game a bit.

I also assume a sequel is on the way. Hopefully if that is the case they sell it game-only and let you use the portal and characters from before (while also providing new characters to buy).

Looks like I'm forced to wait a few weeks. The 3 local Targets all got shipments this morning and were all sold out by 11 a.m. Oh well, I'm done chasing these things for now - I'll wait until I can get them online easily or something...

Official word from FB

We are working hard to get more Skylanders in stores as fast as possible! Starting in mid-January, you'll also be seeing Skylanders that haven't yet been released. We've listened to your requests and are pulling together as much info as we can share – check back at Facebook soon.

That's good I guess. I hope I don't lose interest by then! Hopefully all of the characters will be easily obtainable.

They really haven't done a good job of getting information out to the consumer about release schedules and future content. There are at least 2 more level expansions planned and the only reason we know is because there are slots for them on the 3DS game.

Honest question: Is Skylanders a good game for someone who wants to play with young children, or is it legitimately a fun game in and of itself?

I don't have kids, but I hear so many people speaking positively about this game (CAGcast, Bombcast, forum threads, etc.) that my interests are piqued. On its face, the games look like reasonably fun action games with some light RPG elements (unlockable abilities as characters level -- I haven't sought out a FAQ, so feel free to laugh / correct me on this).

On the other hand, there's something inherently off-putting in the game's marketing model (figures are essentially retail-based DLC).

[quote name='nbballard']They really haven't done a good job of getting information out to the consumer about release schedules and future content. There are at least 2 more level expansions planned and the only reason we know is because there are slots for them on the 3DS game.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I noticed this the other day. Some snooping on the Internet uncovered that the "Empire of Ice" expansion will come with Slam Bam (a Yeti-like water character) and "Dragon's Peak" will come with Sunburn. Also, it appears the store exclusives (Whirlwind at Target and Drill Sargeant at Walmart) will be available everywhere soon. The Legendary 3-pack will remain exclusive to TRU. I am so pissed I didn't pick up that 3-pack when I saw it before Thanksgiving. I also passed on Whirlwind many times. Had I just bought a few of those I could have paid for my whole Skylander set with the current pricing of those things ;).

Javery - Amazon had a few up for "preorder", essentially, last night. I ordered Voodood last night for $7.99 and it says it will be back in stock the 13th. I think Bash and Eruptor were also available. Note that they now no longer are available so that must mean Amazon sold out of their expected shipment! That is a sign these things will remain hot for a while, even when they get more out later in the month. As of right now they have Zap available for order at $7.99 - says Jan. 15th on that one.

[quote name='bjkrautk']Honest question: Is Skylanders a good game for someone who wants to play with young children, or is it legitimately a fun game in and of itself?

I don't have kids, but I hear so many people speaking positively about this game (CAGcast, Bombcast, forum threads, etc.) that my interests are piqued. On its face, the games look like reasonably fun action games with some light RPG elements (unlockable abilities as characters level -- I haven't sought out a FAQ, so feel free to laugh / correct me on this).

On the other hand, there's something inherently off-putting in the game's marketing model (figures are essentially retail-based DLC).[/QUOTE]

It is a fairly easy action RPG type game, yes. Some of the boss battles are at least moderately challenging (at least if you are trying not to die at all) and the Heroic Challenges do provide some additional challenge. I took Gill Grunt through most of the ones we have unlocked and had trouble with a few of them. Also, getting all the achievements/trophies would provide at least some challenge and adds some diversity if nothing else (some of them require you to beat levels with certain conditions like using one power only, or not using items, etc).

The kids are just fascinated by the figures, though. Think of it like Pokemon, but, IMO, much cooler in that the actual figures you buy are the ones you play with (in that they store the stats, etc). There is some appeal for adults there too. I'm not sure I'd be playing this if I didn't have kids but they are a great excuse to play it now!

So, as I type, my older son (11) is at a Skylanders overnight party with one of his classmates. He isn't into the game at all (he is obsessed with Halo). I'll have to ask him tomorrow how much the other kids (besides the host who obviously like it) were into it. I got the game for his 9 year-old brother, who loves it. But just to give you the scale of this thing, and why the figures are all sold out now: so my 6th grader is at this Skylanders party; my 3rd grader said everyone in his class talked about it nonstop when they came back from break; and my 4 year-old is obsessed with the characters, knows all their names, and is even familiar with the ones not out yet (and he's aware they aren't out yet). When I first heard about this game, it didn't seem appealing to me at all, but now that I have it there's definitely something to it.

These things are impossible to find in my area. I was able to find ONE the other day and it was a lame character (Bash) but I still bought him because I needed an Earth elemental.

They've popped up on Amazon briefly over the last few days. I got Voodood and they sent it out sooner than they said (it should be here tomorrow). For a short time today Flameslinger and Boomer were in stock. And nearly all day the Zap/Hex/Dino-Rang 3-pack was in stock (but no more). I would have ordererd that one for Hex but we already have the other two.

As for finding them in store - good luck. I went out Saturday evening with my son and apparently one GS had gotten them. As we walked in some guy grabbed the very last one. It happened to be Prism Break which my son really wanted. The GS manager said the whole rack was full that morning. We couldn't get out till after 6 because of various kid activities that day. Oh well...

But heads up - some of the new ones and store exclusives are coming out soon and you can essentially preorder these at Amazon.

Here's the 3-pack with Whirlwind (formerly Target exclusive), Drill Sargeant (formerly Walmart exclusive) and Double Trouble (new). They say it will ship at the end of the month:

http://www.amazon.com/Activision-Sk...28/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1326183938&sr=8-12

Wow - it is actually discounted now! It was $19.99 when I ordered it earlier today. I just reordered at $18.27!

And Cynder is available in a single pack (as are Drill Sargeant and Whirlwind) - also available at the end of January:

http://www.amazon.com/Activision-Sk...8?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1326184219&sr=1-28

Darklight Crypt was in stock all day but is now backordered (though still $19.99 from Amazon):

http://www.amazon.com/Activision-Sk...C20K/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1326184108&sr=8-2

Last edited by a moderator:
I worked at Best Buy as a xmas hire and we had tons of them most of the season untill the day after xmas and they were wiped out. Should have jumped on the ones I wanted sooner but didnt think it would be this hard to get them. Now every time we go out of town Im stopping everywhere that sells them checking to see if I can get lucky lol. All im wanting at this point is a Wind and Leaf one. Those are the only 2 I elements I dont have so I cant get everywhere.

Pretty much the same story everywhere - once all the kids opened their Christmas presents and started playing the game they realized they wanted more than just the starter characters and everywhere got wiped out. They were around a bit the day after Christmas - but within a few days they were all wiped out.

And yeah, those two are tough as there are only 2 of each out now. With the wind ones, one of the 2 is Whirlwind which was a Target exclusive (until the new pack comes out in a few weeks). So that leaves just Sonic Boom which then becomes hot since it is really the only one available.

For the leaf ones, there is Stump Smash and Stealth Elf. Stealth Elf is hot because it is only 1 of 2 "girl" characters (the other being hex). So that is hard to find and Stump Smash is then hard to find in turn.

My son really wanted Stump Smash after Christmas so that's why we went out the few days afterwards. I knew both GS and Best Buy had the Flameslinger/Stump Smash/Drobot pack and as we had none of those I figured that would be perfect. GS #1 was wiped clean on Dec. 26th, but I called another and had one held for me to pick up the next day. When we went in on the 27th, they were also wiped out except for a few being held behind the counter. Best Buy had Dino-Rang and a few of those same 3-packs but when I went back 2 days later they were all gone. I haven't seen any since then except for the one Prism Break we missed out on by 15 seconds at a GS on Saturday.

At this point I figured I might as well go for the complete collection though I'm in no hurry to do so. Eventually we'll be able to get those Legendary ones from TRU.

I still hate myself for picking this game up. OCD is a not a good thing to have when you gotta collect everything for it under the sun.

On Dec 23 my sister and I went Christmas shopping. She loves cute crap and stood in front of that huge display of Skylanders. 1 video and it was over, she wanted to play it. I was holding off on it because I knew it was a Diablo/Gauntlet legends type of game and I'm pretty bad with those. But nonetheless I picked up the Mega Pack, not knowing what I was getting into.

Eventually we went home and played it for 2 hours. Then immediately went back out to GameStop1 > Target > GameStop 2 > Target 2 > Best Buy and picked up the rest of the characters and Dark Crypt expansion pack. This happened around 6:00pm on Dec 23 and it was awful.

Since then I've been trying to pick up a Volcanic Vault, Whirlwind, Drill Sergeant, and a Legendary Pack finding out after the fact.

Luckily we got a coin, and now Whirlwind and Drill Sergeant are being released. But every time I go to a store now, the shelf just looks like it went through and aftermath of children and parents.

Does anyone know if Toys R Us is restocking the Legendary 3 Pack? I don't mind waiting, but I'd like to know if there's something to wait for.

I don't think anyone knows if TRU will restock - but they still have it listed on their site (OOS of course) so I'm guessing they will get more.

The dumb thing for me was that I stuck to this idea of just getting 1 of each element (the bare minimum needed to explore all areas in the game). And yet I knew that not only would my kids want the rest, but I would want to hunt them down. At least you realized up front you wanted them all and did a pretty good job getting most of them at least. I should have bought them all when I had the chance to get them on sale. When I went back to TRU on the Saturday of Thanksgiving weekend they had restocked (as I found nothing there Friday evening when I went in) and I could have gotten nearly all of them B1G1. I just picked up a few. I did get Pirate Seas that way at least (bought 2, sold 1 on eBay a few weeks later for just around $20 - worth much more last week!).

So now that we've played it and we all want the rest of the figs, of course I can't find much of anything. I did luck out and find Dino-Rang and the 3-pack with Flameslinger/Stump Smash/Drobot in the 2 days after Christmas. I still need Chop Chop, Prism Break, Hex, and the Legendary ones (plus Whirlwind and Drill Sargeant but I now have those covered thanks to Amazon).

I haven't even looked at how much silver ones are worth now, but a few weeks before Christmas they were only selling for $50-$60. That's less than some of the regular figures get now! Unreal...

I KNEW there had to be a Skylanders thread...just couldn't find it with the search function.

Got this for my kids for Christmas. have only been able to find a few loose figs in the wild and the darklight crypt. Still need an 'air'. I ordered the 3 pack and Cynder. Whirlwind is 'air' type, right?

I drive my kids crazy when I tell them the Skylanders should only speak their names, like Pokemon.

Yeah, Whirlwind is "air". Like I said before, that's the hard one to get since the only other one released so far is Sonic Boom. People snag that up pretty quick since Whirlwind hasn't been around for a while (I last saw them at Target before Thanksgiving). Some of the other elements (like Earth) are relatively easy since all 4 characters are already released.

I just bought the game two weeks and I'm already up to 21 figures. I got about 10 of them at various gamestops when they restocked last week. I've been able to find the rest just by searching different stores in my area and keeping an eye on amazon and other websites for stock. I haven't paid over retail for any of them. All I'm missing is Chop Chop, the Legendary Pack and the one's they put up for preorder at amazon (the Whirlwind triple pack and Cynder) which I ordered but haven't gotten yet.

But you make it sound like all GS's restocked last week and that wasn't necessarily the case. I asked around here when we were hunting them this weekend and one said they got all of 6 figures last Thursday. Some got more. Some got none. It is pretty varied regionally too.

But yeah, Amazon has had quite a few - but you have to check constantly.

The consistently high prices of the figures on eBay and Amazon (when they aren't in stock there) shows that both supply is very limited and demand is very high. If you are persistent enough, though, of course they can be found. And it should get easier going forward (I hope!).

There is no way these wont be overstocked at some point. Its just a matter of patience. I have given up my daily search and now just casually look when I am out and check online while working. I know Activision will get my money eventually, just have to be patient.

It was pretty bad. We bought the Mega Pack from Best Buy with the Pirate Seas Adventure Pack, and the first triple pack. The 2nd trip out we bought all 4 available triple character packs that day, the 3DS Version, and then Sonic Boom and Wrecking Ball single packs, the Darklight Crypt Adventure Pack.

Then while waiting in line at the stores, bought them on Amazon (due to card points, no tax, free shipping) just to return them when they came in to Best Buy/GameStop because we couldn't wait 3 days.

Damn you Cracklanders.

Here is a list I found that details on the release of upcoming skylanders,

October:

Skylanders Starter Pack with Spyro, Gill Grunt and Trigger Happy, Portal of Power and game (XBOX360, PS3, PC, Wii)
Skylanders Single Pack with Chop Chop
Skylanders Single Pack with Boomer
Skylanders Single Pack with Drobot
Skylanders Single Pack with Stump Smash
Skylanders Single Pack with Stealth Elf
Skylanders Single Pack with Sonic Boom
Skylanders Single Pack with Bash
Skylanders Single Pack with Zap
Skylanders Single Pack with Eruptor
Skylanders Single Pack with Flameslinger
Skylanders Single Pack with Voodood
Skylanders Single Pack with Prism Break
Skylanders Single Pack with Whirlwind (exclusive)
Skylanders Single Pack with Drill Sergeant (exclusive)

Skylanders Triple Pack A with Drobot, Flameslinger and Stump Smash
Skylanders Triple Pack B with Prism Break, Boomer and Voodood
Skylanders Triple Pack C with Eruptor, Chop Chop and Bash

Skylanders Darklight Crypt Adventure Pack with Ghost Roaster
Skylanders Pirate Seas Adventure Pack with Terrafin

November:

Skylanders Starter Pack with Dark Spyro, Stealth Elf and Ignitor, Portal of Power and game (3DS)

December:

Skylanders Single Pack with Hex
Skylanders Single Pack with Wrecking Ball
Skylanders Single Pack with Dino-Rang

Skylanders Triple Pack D with Stealth Elf, Sonic Boom and Wrecking Ball
Skylanders Triple Pack E with Zap, Hex and Dino-Rang

January:

Skylanders Single Pack with Cynder
Skylanders Single Pack with Double Trouble

Skylanders Empire of Ice Adventure Pack with Slam Bam

Skylanders Triple Pack F with Whirlwind, Double Trouble and Drill Sergeant

Easter:

Skylanders Single Pack with Lightning Rod
Skylanders Single Pack with Zook
Skylanders Single Pack with Ignitor

Skylanders Triple Pack G with Cynder, Lightning Rod and Zook

Skylanders Dragon's Peak Adventure Pack with Suburn

June:

Skylanders Single Pack with Camo
Skylanders Single Pack with Warnado

Skylanders Triple Pack H with Ignitor, Warnado and Camo

Summer:

Skylanders Single Pack with Wham Shell

I found it on some spyro forums so credit goes to them.

Hey everyone,

I just came across this thread and wanted to ask a question. I'm new to Skylanders, I got the Mega Pack for Wii for Christmas as well as some figures. I have not really started playing the game yet, however, because I was missing two elements and didn't want to start until I had everything. So, I decided to purchase the 3DS started pack which gave me one element I needed but I have not been able to find any figures locally, so I still need one more before I can start... Since it looks like it will be three weeks or so until I can get the next element I may returned the 3DS version so I can hopefully get a better price on it... I paid the full $79.99 at Best Buy, but when I was there Sear's had them for $69.99, not a huge savings, but I would like to spend less on it.

Anyhow, my question is in regards to getting extra characters. There are some elements with several characters that I like, for example, I already have Spyro and Wrecking Ball, but I also like Double Trouble. So, are there any real benefits to getting more than one character for each element? I feel like you wouldn't have any benefits of doing this and more than anything it would cause problems because you are trying to level up characters and having multiples would just make that more difficult. Since I haven't started playing yet my thinking may be off, which is why I thought I would ask everyone here!

I have an order on Amazon for the Darklight Crypt and Whirlwind, which will complete all the elements and adventure packs for me... but, since it will be a while I thought I may change the order to the triple pack with Whirlwind and Double Trouble :D

Thanks!

[quote name='1NintendoFan']are there any real benefits to getting more than one character for each element? I feel like you wouldn't have any benefits of doing this and more than anything it would cause problems because you are trying to level up characters and having multiples would just make that more difficult. Since I haven't started playing yet my thinking may be off, which is why I thought I would ask everyone here!
Thanks![/QUOTE]
Not really I don't think unless you feel the need to have them all. Which could well end up happening. As long as you have a character for each element (plus the adventure pack areas) though you can access the whole game.

[quote name='ShockandAww']Not really I don't think unless you feel the need to have them all. Which could well end up happening. As long as you have a character for each element (plus the adventure pack areas) though you can access the whole game.[/QUOTE]

Thanks... I only have one duplicate element right now, but it was one I really wanted, so I'm okay with it. For now, I think I will just stick with what I have/have ordered and then when they go on sale down the road I will pick up some of the figures that I want but don't actually need!!!

Has anyone heard anything about them releasing more adventure packs? I love the idea of expanding the game, but I was just wondering if they are going to release more?

[quote name='1NintendoFan']Thanks... I only have one duplicate element right now, but it was one I really wanted, so I'm okay with it. For now, I think I will just stick with what I have/have ordered and then when they go on sale down the road I will pick up some of the figures that I want but don't actually need!!!

Has anyone heard anything about them releasing more adventure packs? I love the idea of expanding the game, but I was just wondering if they are going to release more?[/QUOTE]

Someone posted the release schedule a few posts up.

[quote name='1NintendoFan']So, are there any real benefits to getting more than one character for each element? I feel like you wouldn't have any benefits of doing this and more than anything it would cause problems because you are trying to level up characters and having multiples would just make that more difficult.

Thanks![/QUOTE]

Personally I think it's worth getting at least two characters of each element. If you're playing two-player it helps to have two characters with the same element since sometimes a section that requires a specific element will be difficult if both players don't have the same element. For example, some water-only sections require the character to physically go into the water and since you're tethered to the second player, not being able to bring the second character into the water limits the movement of the first player. I hope that made sense.

Plus the more characters you "collect," the more XP you gain. Also I think there's an elemental bonus for having more than one character of each element as well as other challenges to unlock.

Of course none of these perks really affect the gameplay itself but if you like two characters of the same element I say go for it.

I know Activision has to be doing this on purpose. I refuse to pay more than $7.99 for one of these things (hence why I refuse to buy them at Toys R Us) so I am not playing this eBay/Amazon game.

[quote name='1NintendoFan']Since it looks like it will be three weeks or so until I can get the next element I may returned the 3DS version so I can hopefully get a better price on it... I paid the full $79.99 at Best Buy, but when I was there Sear's had them for $69.99, not a huge savings, but I would like to spend less on it.
[/QUOTE]

Regular price on the starter packs is $69.99 - how did you spend $79.99 on it at Best Buy? It has always been $69.99 there...

[quote name='ShockandAww']Not really I don't think unless you feel the need to have them all. Which could well end up happening. As long as you have a character for each element (plus the adventure pack areas) though you can access the whole game.[/QUOTE]

That's what I thought when I was putting together a set for my son for Christmas. Now I'm out looking for the rest ;). So it wouldn't hurt to get more. If you can, get them from somewhere with a generous return policy (like 90 days at Target). If you start playing and then don't need the extras you can return the unopened ones.

It doesn't take long to upgrade them, so using multiples is not as big a deal as I thought.

I went to a Toysrus today in Glendale, AZ that had so many 3 packs and Darklight Crypts that they couldn't even all fit on the shelves (Probably around 20 or so of each one). Unfortunately they were all the (Hex, Dino-Rang, Zap) and (Stealth Elf, Sonic Boom, Wrecking Ball) which I don't need. No single packs or Legendary packs. At the Glendale Sears they had one single Drobot and nothing else.

I lucked out and got the 3DS version last week from amazon warehouse deals for $49 "like new". It arrives in a couple days.

[quote name='io']But you make it sound like all GS's restocked last week and that wasn't necessarily the case. I asked around here when we were hunting them this weekend and one said they got all of 6 figures last Thursday. Some got more. Some got none. It is pretty varied regionally too.

[/QUOTE]

I mean obviously I have no way of knowing if "every" GS got more stock last week. I work as a Phoenix, AZ driver so while out on my route I have access to a huge amount of stores but after finding out from one GS that they had gotten a shipment in I asked every single person at probably 15+ GS's over the last week and all of them said they at least got a small shipment that morning. Of course a lot of them sold out in an hour but quite a few I went to had 8-10 still on the shelves. These were all single packs by the way and all varied Skylanders over the first two waves.

For those of you having trouble finding figures at TRU- mine has 2 different displays for the figures- one at the front of the store and one in the game department.

I wouldn't buy them from TRU. Screw them and their price gouging.

The only place I have seen any Skylanders since after Christmas was two Wal-Marts. One of them only had 2 of Bash (which I bought one) and the other only had 1 VooDood (which I passed on). Toys R Us had some when I picked up the starter kit there (since it was on-sale) but again, I'm not buying them there.

I've checked multiple Wal-Marts, Kmarts, Target, GameStops, Sam's Club and Best Buy the past three days and no luck.

bread's done
Back