Skylanders - Toys brought to life, Cross-platform Connectivity *Giants Out Now*

• Please log in to reply
2451 replies to this topic

#1651 Rod92905

Rod92905

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 December 2012 - 01:51 AM

Just picked up the Skylanders Wii bundle for the kids with exclusive Gnarly Tree Rex at Target on sale for $119. Already sold the S2 Cynder and Jet Vac for $20.

#1652 icpmattj

icpmattj

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 December 2012 - 03:25 AM

I noticed amazon now has the new repose ones from wave 3.

Lightning Rod,Stealth Elf, and Cynder

#1653 Rod92905

Rod92905

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 December 2012 - 08:21 PM

Krogers in east TN has singles for $7.49 and 3-packs for $18.74 with. Your Krogers card. They had some light cores but didn't have a different price on the tags. I'm sure if I tried to buy one they'd le me have it for $7.49. They had allthe3-packs, and most of series 1 and 2.

Too bad my kids areall caught up...

#1654 nbballard

nbballard

glad you didnt say banana

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 December 2012 - 11:34 PM

Cheaper in memphis. 5.99(single), 8.99(giant), and 14.99 (3 pack)
Spoiler

#1655 Rod92905

Rod92905

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 December 2012 - 02:52 AM

Thats pretty good. Wish I still had my receipts from when we first. Got them.....might be worth digging them up.

#1656 Erad30

Erad30

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:48 AM

Ok my wife got me Giants for Christmas and its great fun, I do have one quick questions: I'm fairly sure I can just buy the original game separately and it will work fine with the portal for any system, but is it worth it (most places I've seen it sold solo for like $40, I was hoping for less since it wouldn't have the portal)?

Blog is on hiatus but check out both Screensnark & Gamesided for my latest writings!

Gamertag/PSN: Eradicator31

Wii U: Eradicator30

#1657 dragonjud

dragonjud

Got games, but no time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:18 PM

Ok my wife got me Giants for Christmas and its great fun, I do have one quick questions: I'm fairly sure I can just buy the original game separately and it will work fine with the portal for any system, but is it worth it (most places I've seen it sold solo for like $40, I was hoping for less since it wouldn't have the portal)?

Well,
Did you enjoy the second game enough to want more of the same?

The second game is shorter, but the graphics are slightly better, and the gameplay is a bit more refined.
I bought into this to play with my son, but to be honest I don't see myself playing any of it if that wasn't the case. The story doesn't evolve beyond barely understandable babble, and the grinding (to level up) gets quite boring after a while.

#1658 gravel

gravel

Posted 27 December 2012 - 04:07 PM

I'd agree that the second plays better than the first. Also, some figures won't work with the first game from the Giants series. I thought the first one was okay, but clearly designed and written for children, lots of groan-inducing jokes for my taste. The second has toned that down quite a bit.

As a side-note, has anyone seen the solo Shroomboom anywhere yet?

Currently Playing
:ps3:
Lego Marvel Super Heroes, Diablo III, Skylanders Swap Force, The Puppeteer
:360:
:wii: Lego City Undercover, NES Remix
:ds: Pokemon Y
:psp: Tearaway

#1659 defpally

defpally

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 December 2012 - 05:23 PM

I'd agree that the second plays better than the first. Also, some figures won't work with the first game from the Giants series. I thought the first one was okay, but clearly designed and written for children, lots of groan-inducing jokes for my taste. The second has toned that down quite a bit.

As a side-note, has anyone seen the solo Shroomboom anywhere yet?

There is no solo Shroomboom, and likely will not be one. It seems that the Battle Pack figures aren't showing up on most inventory SKUs and if they take a queue from the first game, the Adventure Pack figures never showed up individually. If you want Shroomboom and not the Battle Pack, you need to most likely go with the Lightcore version (which does come in a single). But, you can find that Battle Pack on sale frequently, so you may just want to pick it up on a good deal.

My son and I have really enjoyed Giants since Christmas, he got a boat load of figures (we all loved the first game). But given all of the figure choices he has, who does he play the most often ... Tree Rex, the guy that came in the Starter Pack. I'm sure he will choose another at some point, he likes to focus on one character to level them up, and then chooses another to focus on. My toddler especially loves the figures, he pulls them all out - Crusher and Granite Crusher are his favorites, now I just gotta get him to stop banging their hammers together all the time :)

The game plays so much better, they got rid of most of the weird bounce pad behavior, the figures get stuck on the geometry much less often and it senses two players getting stuck on the opposite sides of a timed door much better (it ports the left behind player forward). All of the figures have voices now too, and seem to display cool personalities better in their animation. Levels are also much longer and varied. Having a skill level selection (3 plus 1 unlocked harder skill) is going to add a lot of longevity.

#1660 gravel

gravel

Posted 27 December 2012 - 06:53 PM

There is no solo Shroomboom, and likely will not be one. It seems that the Battle Pack figures aren't showing up on most inventory SKUs and if they take a queue from the first game, the Adventure Pack figures never showed up individually. If you want Shroomboom and not the Battle Pack, you need to most likely go with the Lightcore version (which does come in a single). But, you can find that Battle Pack on sale frequently, so you may just want to pick it up on a good deal.

Thanks, I meant the Lightcore Shroomboom. I think it was supposed to hit right before Christmas, but I haven't seen it near me yet. I really have no interest in the cannon, so I haven't bought the Battle Pack.

Currently Playing

#1661 defpally

defpally

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:13 PM

Thanks, I meant the Lightcore Shroomboom. I think it was supposed to hit right before Christmas, but I haven't seen it near me yet. I really have no interest in the cannon, so I haven't bought the Battle Pack.

Yeah, the cannon isn't much, especially if you don't care about the PvP arenas. It just follows you and shoots things for a short time. The cannon itself IS a Lightcore though, so it is a pretty cool figure (the Gamestop one lights up orange, the regular one blue). Lightcore Shroomboom released on 12/20 at TRU, and some have said they have seen it a few times elsewhere. You may be able to find it around soon, but now you are in the post-Christmas rush, so it may be rough. I got mine at the opening at TRU on 12/20, they had two Lightcore cases of them, each case has four Shroombooms (and 2 each of the other ones) - so only eight total in a pretty high traffic store. He is one of the better Lightcore figures, with his eye and a mushroom lighting up.

I suggested the Battle Pack only because you can find it on sale pretty often, and when you factor in your time and shipping, it might be worth the consideration if you find a good deal.

Now, something else to think about. Hot Dog has no Lightcore, so the only known way to get him (and Series 2 Zap) may be the new Battle Pack coming to Gamestop exclusively in January, everywhere else in February. You can pre-order it now online and in store, the release date was recently pushed back to 1/9/2013. There is a variant version of him (called "Molten") but when/where/if it is ever released is unknown and it may just be in a store exclusive version of the Battle Pack too.

#1662 Darkside Hazuki

Darkside Hazuki

Inextinguishable.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:51 PM

I can't find a Boomer anywhere (for MSRP) and there is no Version 2. Sad face. Missing that and Zap from the original set, but at least Zap is getting a new pose.

#1663 my2k2zx2

my2k2zx2

Molly, Rockin the Doggles

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:12 PM

Missing Boomer and Darklight Crypt from the first set.
If its free, its for me!!

#1664 io

io

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:34 PM

Tha's funny because a year ago when everyone was buying up all the Skylanders post-Christmas, Boomer was the "trash" one no one wanted and you could find very easily. But I'm guessing it hasn't been made in a while and the stock eventually ran out.

#1665 Darkside Hazuki

Darkside Hazuki

Inextinguishable.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 December 2012 - 05:54 PM

Yep, my son didn't get into Skylanders until summer. I have never seen a Boomer in person.

#1666 gravel

gravel

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:33 AM

Gamestop's ad for next week shows the Hot Dog three-pack arriving 1/11/13 at a price of $24.99. It comes with the Scorpion Striker and series 2 Zap, and is listed in the ad as a GS exclusive.

Currently Playing

#1667 Rod92905

Rod92905

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 December 2012 - 06:02 AM

They had it listed for a 1/1/13 date at first.......it then got moved to 1/9/13. Had not heard of it being pushed back again. I mean, it's only 2 days so no biggie. Just had not heard about it. Also, it's not only at Gamestop. Just a timed exclusive. Meaning Gamestop is supossed to get it 30 days before other stores.

#1668 gravel

gravel

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:28 PM

They had it listed for a 1/1/13 date at first.......it then got moved to 1/9/13. Had not heard of it being pushed back again. I mean, it's only 2 days so no biggie. Just had not heard about it. Also, it's not only at Gamestop. Just a timed exclusive. Meaning Gamestop is supossed to get it 30 days before other stores.

I'll probably pick it up there, since that is the new one my girlfriend wants the most, and they aren't charging extra for it.

In Target's ad this week, Thumpback is pictured. Has anyone seen any information on his release date?

Currently Playing

#1669 io

io

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:38 PM

In Target's ad this week, Thumpback is pictured. Has anyone seen any information on his release date?

I glanced through the Target ad and didn't even see that - will have to check it out again.

We are definitely not seeing the rush for Skylanders after Christmas like we did last year. I am still seeing them everywhere. By this time last year they were almost completely sold out.

#1670 Rod92905

Rod92905

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 December 2012 - 05:20 PM

That Target add has been discussed thoroughly in other forums.....with no early pics of Thumpback showing up on any forums or eBay the general concensus is that it's just a stuck image being shown in their add.....no direct indication that Thumpback will be there.

#1671 gravel

gravel

Posted 31 December 2012 - 06:29 PM

That Target add has been discussed thoroughly in other forums.....with no early pics of Thumpback showing up on any forums or eBay the general concensus is that it's just a stuck image being shown in their add.....no direct indication that Thumpback will be there.

Thanks, I figured that was probably the case, but I hadn't looked into it anywhere else.

Currently Playing

#1672 defpally

defpally

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:37 PM

I'll probably pick it up there, since that is the new one my girlfriend wants the most, and they aren't charging extra for it.

Yeah, as mentioned, the Thumpback thing was just a stock photo mistake. Those things are printed weeks ahead of time. I'm sure their store employees are paying for that mistake with all of the questions and how angry some people can get over that sort of thing.

The Scorpion Striker/Hot Dog/Zap pack at Gamestop will be available elsewhere 30 days or so later, but the cool thing is you can still pre-order it. With all of the post Christmas excitement for Giants, being able to pre-order and pick up at your leisure when they call you is great - no calling around for shipments, no wild speculation, no showing up at stores well before they open and hoping the employees dug through the boxes or forgot to put something out.

#1673 VyseArcad1a

VyseArcad1a

New Mirror's Edge?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:59 PM

Yep, my son didn't get into Skylanders until summer. I have never seen a Boomer in person.

That's interesting cause last year during the Skylanders hunt I saw Boomers everywhere in Houston. It's all YMMV I guess.

If anybody in Houston is still looking for Wham-Shell, I found two of them at the TRU on Old Spanish Trail & Kirby.

Edited by VyseArcad1a, 02 January 2013 - 10:10 PM.

#1674 io

io

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:01 AM

The Scorpion Striker/Hot Dog/Zap pack at Gamestop will be available elsewhere 30 days or so later, but the cool thing is you can still pre-order it. With all of the post Christmas excitement for Giants, being able to pre-order and pick up at your leisure when they call you is great - no calling around for shipments, no wild speculation, no showing up at stores well before they open and hoping the employees dug through the boxes or forgot to put something out.

Yep, this is what I did. In fact, I returned my Golden Dragonfire Cannon battle pack and put the money on this one instead. I was waiting for the lightcore Shroomboom so I never opened it. I don't need the rest of the stuff in the Scorpion pack either but my son really, really wants Hot Dog and this is the only way to get it for a while, anyway. I'm sure it will sell better than the cannon pack did just because of that.

That's interesting cause last year during the Skylanders hunt I saw Boomers everywhere in Houston. It's all YMMV I guess.

If by "last year" you meant 8-12 months ago, then, yeah, Boomer was everywhere. But it has been pretty scarce for 4-6 months now, which is when Darkside Hazuki said his son just started getting into Skylanders. But, yeah, before that it was the "trash" Skylander than no one wanted ;). I remember seeing Best Buy shelves in Jan/Feb last year with nothing but Boomer on them.

#1675 ajh2298

ajh2298

2009 Stanley Cup Champs

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:41 AM

Will Hot Dog be available in a single pack or is the only way to get him is in the Scorpion Pack?
----------------------------------------------------------------------

#1676 defpally

defpally

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:41 PM

Will Hot Dog be available in a single pack or is the only way to get him is in the Scorpion Pack?

Well, there is precedence that he will not be sold in a single. In the original games, the figures in the Adventure Packs were never sold as singles. On a few websites that have listings for the figures that aren't out yet, the single packs for the figures in the Battle Packs are notably missing (though they are present on some, without SKUs).

Shroomboom is different, because he has a Lightcore, so you can get him that way. There is no Lightcore Hot Dog, the fire element Lightcore is Eruptor. There has been a discovered variant of Hot Dog in the game files (called Molten), but the current thinking is that will show up as a store exclusive version in the Scorpion Striker Battle Pack somewhere down the road after the Gamestop exclusive runs out.

Bottom line, you may be able to get Hot Dog as a single in some form down the line, but there is absolutely no indication of that being true, and several indications against it.

#1677 1NintendoFan

1NintendoFan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:14 PM

Hey guys,

I feel like this is a completely stupid question but I really can't seem to figure it out, so I'm coming to the experts. Anyway, I just received Skylander's Giant's and along with that a few extra figures, including Prism Break light core. The only reason the person buying for me got this was because they liked the fact he lit up when he was on the portal. So, I decided to open it up today to give a try, also excited to see what he looks like when he lights up and nothing.

I feel like there has to be something I'm doing wrong, yet I don't know what else to actually do. So, I come to you, experts of Skylander's, can you tell me what I'm doing wrong that my light core Skylander doesn't light up?

#1678 nbballard

nbballard

glad you didnt say banana

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:29 PM

Are you sure it is the light ore figure? They just released a s2 version of him. The easy way to tell would be if the game yells "lightcore!" When he pops onto the screen.
Spoiler

#1679 Salamando3000

Salamando3000

For Good or for Awesome

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:30 PM

Also see if Tree Rex lights up. All of the Giants have lightcore functionality, iirc.

#1680 1NintendoFan

1NintendoFan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:36 PM

@nbballard, Yes, I know it is the lightcore, it has the foil card and everything and the packaging says light core. I haven't started up the game because I haven't even had a chance to open the package for the game.

@Salamando3000, I have tried Swarm, Crusher and Hot Head and nothing is happening.

Do you have to put it in the new portal of power? I don't see why the old one wouldn't work, but who knows.