Photo
- - - - -

CAG League Sports: Madden 12 "JV League" - We Finished 3 Seasons! Thanks Everybody!!!

• Please log in to reply
4457 replies to this topic

#31 jza1218

jza1218

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 November 2011 - 02:18 PM

I think the trade limit works well, but what about in the off-season? Is there a limit then?

#32 Yanksfan

Yanksfan

Cubs Fan Too :(

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 November 2011 - 04:47 PM

I agree with the limitations and also feel they should encompass the offseason as well.

Also, since our owners are pretty much set, any reason to not move forward with the lottery and get some Week 1 matchups under way this weekend/following week? I know not everyone has it yet, but it seems like they will by next Friday. If 2 people that would be set for Week 1 already have the game and want to play, they may as well do so now rather than wait for a holiday weekend to schedule.

Edit - Nevermind. Seems I miscounted our number.

#33 CAGLeagueSports

CAGLeagueSports

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 November 2011 - 06:57 PM

I think the trade limit works well, but what about in the off-season? Is there a limit then?

Hmm...that's tough. I'm not against trading. I just really don't want to see what happened in the official league happen here. People were trading more because they felt they had to to keep up rather than because they actually NEEDED improvements. If you've got a specific idea in mind, as always, I'm open to suggestions.

I agree with the limitations and also feel they should encompass the offseason as well.

Also, since our owners are pretty much set, any reason to not move forward with the lottery and get some Week 1 matchups under way this weekend/following week? I know not everyone has it yet, but it seems like they will by next Friday. If 2 people that would be set for Week 1 already have the game and want to play, they may as well do so now rather than wait for a holiday weekend to schedule.

Edit - Nevermind. Seems I miscounted our number.

Yeah, counting everybody on the waiting list (which I'm slightly reluctant to do because of how these things tend to go), we're at 15. I'm right there with you about being anxious to get started though. I wouldn't be opposed to doing the lottery soon, but if we do it without a 16th person, it probably means we're not getting one since they'd be stuck with the last two teams picked. I'm hoping we can get things moving by the end of this weekend though.
Do you have what it takes to compete?

#34 jza1218

jza1218

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 November 2011 - 09:56 PM

Hmm...that's tough. I'm not against trading. I just really don't want to see what happened in the official league happen here. People were trading more because they felt they had to to keep up rather than because they actually NEEDED improvements. If you've got a specific idea in mind, as always, I'm open to suggestions.

Well, we could do a separate offseason trade limit. 3 trades max, trading a 90+ player or a first-rounder counts as two trades.

One other issue, and maybe I missed something, but is each person going to be responsible for playing two games each "week" of the season? Cause that's going to be tough.

#35 CAGLeagueSports

CAGLeagueSports

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 November 2011 - 12:39 AM

Well, we could do a separate offseason trade limit. 3 trades max, trading a 90+ player or a first-rounder counts as two trades.

Ehh...I'm torn on this one. I'm pretty sure the other league counts offseason trades as part of their total. So, if we went with 3 more trades, plus allowing another 90+ player to be traded, that would basically put us up to 7 total trades allowed, including 2 involving 90+ players each season...which is more trading than the other league has. Honestly, the biggest thing I want to avoid is the situation of the Pats acquiring both Peterson AND Samuel in one season, which would never happen in a million years in my opinion.

What happens far more often in the NFL are smaller moves for older players who have worn out their welcome or young guys who haven't yet reached their potential. You rarely EVER see star players in their prime getting shipped off. Really, we need to decide what a reasonable number of trades for a team to make in one season is, and see if we can find a middle ground. I'd like to allow room for the smaller moves so teams can round out their roster, but prevent people from throwing around big time stars like it's nothing. Let's keep brainstorming on it and see if we can bang something out that makes everyone happy.

One other issue, and maybe I missed something, but is each person going to be responsible for playing two games each "week" of the season? Cause that's going to be tough.

When the topic was raised of avoiding having to play the CPU, it seemed like several people liked the idea of controlling multiple teams (1 AFC / 1 NFC). At least that way, there would be specific people to contact for each game. I suppose if anybody isn't available to play the game for their second team, we could just get a sub in the traditional sense. Nothing is really written in stone. Just trying to find the most sensible way of handling the open teams.

#36 CAGLeagueSports

CAGLeagueSports

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 November 2011 - 02:17 AM

Did a bit more research on the trade issue. I only compiled the list for the AFC, but these are the trades that took place over the past two seasons. A couple teams have made 5-6 trades in a season, but most of these were for low-mid range guys. The biggest stars on this list are probably Brandon Marshall, Antonio Cromartie, and Carson Palmer.

https://docs.google....Fz7H0Fybdc/edit

What about upping the number of trades to 5 and the core players traded maximum to 3, but have it include the offseason? This way, you could trade 1 90+ guy, 1 80s guy/1st rd pick, and then make 3 smaller trades in a complete season. Or, you could trade 2 80s guys, a 1st rd pick, and make 2 smaller trades. Lots of possibilities...except for trading 2 90+ guys, which I think is too much. I just want to make sure the trading still feels limited so people really have to think hard about the moves they make.

#37 Blade3D

Blade3D

Grandmaster Swag

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 November 2011 - 03:51 AM

This maybe?

Trade Cap: 4 trades per season, 5 core players traded away max
90+ Player = 3 core players
80-89 Player = 1 core player
1st round pick = 1 core player

#38 lyric706

lyric706

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 November 2011 - 04:00 AM

I'm in!

CAG Name: Lyric706
XBL Gamertag: Doctor Worm
Time Zone: EST
Posted Image

My Wii Code: 7844-6016-8449-5878
My 3DS Code: 3652-0542-1811

Now playing: Skylanders, Madden 12, Batman: Arkham City :360:; Uncharted 3 :ps3:

#39 Blade3D

Blade3D

Grandmaster Swag

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 November 2011 - 04:52 AM

Let's start getting this ready!

#40 KasterDB

KasterDB

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 November 2011 - 06:39 AM

Let's start getting this ready!

Co-sign.

#41 CAGLeagueSports

CAGLeagueSports

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 November 2011 - 09:25 AM

All right. It looks like we have 16 interested players. I'm hoping everyone who has mentioned getting the game next week will do so and we won't have to find any replacements.

Something was mentioned to me tonight on the subject of everyone having two teams, and I think it's a good idea, as it addresses several potential issues (getting games played in a timely manner, keeping everyone from getting burnt out, and having one person with two teams in the Super Bowl).

The idea was that we all still have our main team that we wish to play with, and we each have a secondary team. HOWEVER, the only time you will actually play as your secondary team is if they are scheduled to face a human opponent. So, if two secondary teams are scheduled to play each other, the game would just be simmed. The thought behind this is that it will keep us moving quicker if everyone doesn't have to worry about scheduling two games every 3-4 days. It may happen from time to time, but it won't be every single week for every person.

I realize that most everyone is probably excited and wants to play a lot, but it makes more sense to put that effort into one team, get through multiple seasons, and build that team through trades and drafts than to struggle to get through one season trying to manage two teams. This really combines the best of both worlds of a standard subbing system, but one with a structure of knowing who you're going to play in advance.

I hope this is agreeable to everyone. I'll be getting the team selection lottery set up tomorrow, and after that we can begin picking teams. If anyone has any questions in the meantime, feel free to ask! Thanks, guys!

EDIT - Two more things about secondary teams.
1. You cannot trade players on your secondary team.
2. Your cannot choose a secondary team that is on your main team's schedule (Madden uses the real schedule for the 2011 season, so just use that as a reference when choosing your secondary team).

#42 Blade3D

Blade3D

Grandmaster Swag

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 November 2011 - 05:42 PM

I guess we will just choose who are secondary team is after the draft? Also, I don't like having no trades for our secondary team, I just think we shouldn't be able to trade with our main team. I really wanted to play my secondary team, and maybe some people don't, but this seems to really limit there role.

#43 CAGLeagueSports

CAGLeagueSports

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 November 2011 - 10:09 PM

It does. But that's kind of the point. Everyone controlling two teams wasn't really so everybody could HAVE two teams. It was just to make sure nobody got stuck playing the CPU. Your focus should be on your main team. You've just gotta think about it long term. If we want to have any hope of playing multiple seasons (which is the only way things like trading prospects or draft picks would even matter) is by advancing the league every 3-4 days. With one team alone, that's 2 games in a 7 day week.

Playing every game for a secondary team ups that commitment to 3-4 games in a 7 day week. Not everybody has that much free time. If we don't scale it back a bit, we're going to lose people. Yeah, we could just advance the weeks slower, but that would just make it take longer to get through the season, thus hurting your main team if people get burnt out or lose interest.

The only thought behind not allowing trades with your secondary team is in case anyone else wants to join the league (all of the secondary teams will be available). I don't know how appealing it would be for them to come in and take over a team that has been broken apart already. I'm open to discussion of this issue though. Ultimately, just try to remember none of this is going to apply to your main team. These secondary teams aren't really OURS. We're just filling in.

#44 Blade3D

Blade3D

Grandmaster Swag

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 November 2011 - 11:18 PM

Ahhh ok, I get it, that's fine with me. I was thinking we would be playing both teams how we normally would.

#45 CAGLeagueSports

CAGLeagueSports

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2011 - 01:54 AM

Ahhh ok, I get it, that's fine with me. I was thinking we would be playing both teams how we normally would.

Yeah, it's a little confusing, but it should work out for the best. Building up your main team should be everybody's focus.

I'm working on having the team selection lottery done tonight, guys. Trying to get this done around college football, UFC 139, and an 8 months pregnant wife, haha. It aint easy! :)

#46 jza1218

jza1218

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2011 - 02:12 AM

Yeah, it's a little confusing, but it should work out for the best. Building up your main team should be everybody's focus.

I'm working on having the team selection lottery done tonight, guys. Trying to get this done around college football, UFC 139, and an 8 months pregnant wife, haha. It aint easy! :)

I remember the 8-month pregnant wife, and no it's not.

#47 CAGLeagueSports

CAGLeagueSports

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2011 - 08:26 AM

Team selection lottery is finally up! Check it out in the OP! Hopefully we can get this done quickly. I'd like to have all teams picked within a couple days at most.

#48 Blade3D

Blade3D

Grandmaster Swag

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2011 - 08:33 AM

Ummm are we doing NFC or AFC first or just whatever team we want?

#49 CAGLeagueSports

CAGLeagueSports

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2011 - 08:35 AM

Ummm are we doing NFC or AFC first or just whatever team we want?

You're picking the team you want. Doesn't matter which conference. We'll deal with secondary teams once everyone has picked. I'm sending out a round of PM's so everybody is aware it's time to pick. Hoping that will make things go quicker. Obviously, I'm not expecting anything to start till the morning though. Hate that I didn't get this posted till late, but it was a pretty busy Saturday.

#50 Vulcan2422

Vulcan2422

Sandwich Artist with the Mouth

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2011 - 08:44 AM

Well, I got my team ready to pick out. Awesome Video by the way, makes this league feel very, authentic. :D

Vulcan7905.png
Real Life Ice Hockey Stats: Goals - 20 Assists - 23 Penalty Minutes - 8

Granted I only played the demo of Chime, but how the heck do you get shit on by Chime?

#51 Yanksfan

Yanksfan

Cubs Fan Too :(

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2011 - 01:28 PM

Holy shit, fucking last. Damn it. :(

#52 lyric706

lyric706

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2011 - 02:59 PM

Well as stupid as it may be, I am going with the mighty St. Louis Rams.
Posted Image

Now playing: Skylanders, Madden 12, Batman: Arkham City :360:; Uncharted 3 :ps3:

#53 hostyl1

hostyl1

Can do this all day

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2011 - 03:35 PM

Holy shit, fucking last. Damn it. :(

Well, you can look at it as you were actually the first selected. Interesting that it was done that the first position chosen was actually the last pick.

I may do that next year in my fantasy football league.
Posted Image

#54 tonyv4

tonyv4

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2011 - 05:16 PM

Well as stupid as it may be, I am going with the mighty St. Louis Rams.

Probably not stupid. That team has many strong areas in my opinion.

#55 pitfallharry219

pitfallharry219

It's go time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2011 - 05:26 PM

I think I will take Green Bay.

#56 lyric706

lyric706

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2011 - 07:35 PM

Probably not stupid. That team has many strong areas in my opinion.

Longtime fan of the Rams, and as silly as it sounds, Madden always is more fun to me if I'm playing with a team I like. Plus, I'm most used to the Rams' strengths and think I'd have a hard time adapting to another team.
Posted Image

#57 Ultimate Matt X

Ultimate Matt X

Posted 20 November 2011 - 07:36 PM

Are there still openings? I'd consider joining as the Browns.

#58 CAGLeagueSports

CAGLeagueSports

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2011 - 08:17 PM

Are there still openings? I'd consider joining as the Browns.

Well, there are openings. But you would have to take the 17th pick. The Browns could still be available then, but I can't make any promises.

Interesting that it was done that the first position chosen was actually the last pick.

Well, that's how draft lotteries are usually done. Builds up the suspense, haha. :)

Looks like we're on the 3rd pick now. DarkTower80, you're on the clock!

#59 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2011 - 11:58 PM

I'm guessing Brandon (DarkTower) has been at work today and that's why he hasn't made his pick. Hopefully we'll make some substantial progress this evening.

#60 DarkTower80

DarkTower80

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 November 2011 - 01:44 AM

Yep, just got home from work. Will take Baltimore.