Photo
- - - - -

So You Think You Can Ride RPG Thread XIV's Chocobo!!!?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
609 replies to this topic

#511 bvharris

bvharris

the black wind howls

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 February 2012 - 07:32 PM

So were about a ten days out from the european release of The Last Story. Is anybody going to pick it up or import it?

Yeah, I'm importing the CE. Looking forward to it.

33126.png

#512 Zmonkay

Zmonkay

Awesome in Small Doses

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:01 PM

So were about a ten days out from the european release of The Last Story. Is anybody going to pick it up or import it?

Holy crap! RPG explosion! Gonna have to hold off, as I still need to finish FFXIII-2, just started Amalur, have ME3 preordered, and still have a handful of RPGs in my backlog to finish (Skyrim, Xenoblade, Divinity II, and Nostalgia off the top of my head)...

It's a good time to be an RPG gamer :D
For Sale: Like New/Opened Once Japanese Transformer 2010 Reissue Predaking http://www.cheapassg...291#post2498291

yourfree360games referal: SIGN UP AND GET FREE 360 games with easy and free (or dirt cheap) trial offers
http://www.yourfree3....php?ref=233445

#513 JEKKI

JEKKI

JEKKI WOO FOO FOO

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 February 2012 - 05:23 PM

whooo~!!! 48 hours into Suikoden V now!!

and I have today off from work!!

I took it off jus to play games lol

so chillin!! let's get game!

#514 R. Kasahara

R. Kasahara

The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2012 - 05:51 PM

Hello RPG Thread! Long time no see!

Haven't been playing much lately, RPG-wise. I did go through the two episodes of On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness, which are sort of like a hybrid between US-style graphical adventure games and simple JRPGs. There's a bit of a weird imbalance when it comes to the game's bosses, and the blocking prompts are really quick, but they were decent enough little games. Episode Three was cancelled, which makes me sad.

Penny Arcade characters I spotted (besides Gabe, Tycho, and the Fruit Fucker, of course):
Spoiler
. I think that's everyone.

Back to Pokemon White now after having not played it since last year; I remember it being Autumn when I played it last, and now it's Summer. Got the HM Surf yesterday, so now I'm finally catching more water Pokemon; the ones I've caught and run into so far are all low level, though, and my regular party's in the high thirties, so I've had to be careful not to kill them off too quickly (still need those regulars for trainer battles).
sig.gif
2014 Completed Games

:-({|=  The Video Game Soundtrack Deals Thread ~ Where and how to buy game music online. Oh, and deals, too!
:whee: PAX Prime 2014 Thread ~ It's that time again!

#515 Ryuukishi

Ryuukishi

What went out is comin' back

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2012 - 06:50 PM

I finished the story in Final Fantasy XIII-2 last night. Contrary to popular opinion, the ending was the only part of the story that I actually liked. Without giving away what actually happens,
Spoiler

Ryuukishi634.png Ryuukishi634.jpg f7b9bd594fe9ca11e2a28b479ca21d4c_96ab1df

#516 lolwhat

lolwhat

Posted 18 February 2012 - 08:25 PM

I had no qualms with the ending scene beyond the odd choice of music accompanying it,
Spoiler

I just didn't get anything out of Caius at the end, there was no insight into the culture of him and Noel, and all the loop arounds and sudden talk of a goddess just felt really desperate to me. At least Caius had some good lines, IMO.

And a cool setting for XIII-3 is always appreciated.

#517 Ryuukishi

Ryuukishi

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2012 - 09:20 PM

Yeah, you can pretty much tell that they planned some cool imagery and plot twists for the ending first, and then tried to contrive some events and characters to get them there in a coherent way... and did not succeed.

#518 bvharris

bvharris

the black wind howls

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 February 2012 - 12:20 AM

Pushing on towards the end of KoA: Reckoning. Still enjoying it a lot, though eventually I kind of got burned out on side questing so I'm just doing the faction (most of which I've finished) and main quest, and then I'll clean the rest up after. At Level 37 I should be in fine shape to finish the game.

My biggest complaint with the game is the dearth of different armor and weapon options. There's really only 5 or so levels of equipment, and you unlock the top level stuff well before the end of the game. I definitely like messing around with equipment (crafting, gem making, etc) but there's really only so much you can do, especially aesthetically. In a game this big with this much loot, it should be a much more enjoyable aspect than it is. In 30 hours of play, I should have needed to upgrade my weapons more than 4 or 5 times.

I hope if they come out with any DLC, it includes new armor and weapon classes.

33126.png

#519 lolwhat

lolwhat

Posted 19 February 2012 - 12:30 AM

At Level 37 I should be in fine shape to finish the game.

Nice that you were able to find that much motivation to level so much -- I suppose I'm not as much of a completionist. What with a huge lack of enemy variety, and the game making you a wrecking ball from the very start, I just didn't feel an incentive to pursue a huge amount of side quests. All the environments outside Dalenforth looked noticeably cheaper, and the writing never got any better. Game became one big meh after trying out all the awesome weapons.

And the entire ending of the game is Tuatha assassins -> Ogre -> Tuatha assassins -> Ogre ->Tuatha assassins -> Ogre -> Tuatha assassins -> Ogre -> Tuatha assassins -> Ogre

All are mostly one-shotted, me being level 20. Same with the bosses. So I think you'll be okay at 37 ;)

You can sprint past the entire gauntlet when you get bored, too.

#520 bvharris

bvharris

the black wind howls

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 February 2012 - 12:33 AM

Nice that you were able to find that much motivation to level so much -- I suppose I'm not as much of a completionist.

It's OCD more than motivation. I hate having unfinished quests in RPGs. Plus, I just can't bring myself to walk past a yellow exclamation mark. :lol:

33126.png

#521 lolwhat

lolwhat

Posted 19 February 2012 - 12:34 AM

I got over that phase after WoW =]

Which admittedly has much better writing than even the faction quests of KoA.

edit: sorry if i sound bitter. i just really loved the game at first and it progressively betrayed me more and more.

#522 The Crotch

The Crotch

I was famous and I was powerful.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 February 2012 - 12:55 AM

edit: sorry if i sound bitter. i just really loved the game at first and it progressively betrayed me more and more.

Now that you have felt my pain.

It begins.

Posted Image

#523 Rodimus

Rodimus

I'm Different

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 February 2012 - 03:12 AM

Started a game of Ys Seven. Fuckin' awesome so far.

#524 jello44

jello44

Posted 19 February 2012 - 03:25 AM

That game was a fucking blast.

72768.png

#525 bvharris

bvharris

the black wind howls

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 February 2012 - 03:38 AM

That game was a fucking blast.

How much foreknowledge of the series is required? I've got a bunch of the other games, but no real time to play them all (story of my life).

33126.png

#526 jello44

jello44

Posted 19 February 2012 - 04:02 AM

How much foreknowledge of the series is required? I've got a bunch of the other games, but no real time to play them all (story of my life).

None really, they generally all follow the same protagonist and his partner. There's no real continuation aside from Ys I & II Chronicles.

7 was the first Ys game I played.

72768.png

#527 Chibi_Kaji

Chibi_Kaji

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 February 2012 - 10:41 AM

I'm a bit burned out on KoA after doing so many sidequests. I'm probably going to go back to Final Fantasy XIII-2, I got stuck on the first fight with Caius. I'm also interested in some of the DLC they put out.

I started up ToA 3DS and the game seems to hold up a lot better than I thought it would. And Luke isn't as annoying as I remembered, but thats probaly becuase I've seen even more annoying characters since then... I'm looking at you ToS 2.

I've been wanting to try that game forever.
"People who get nostalgic about childhood were obviously never children." - Bill Watterson

Posted Image

#528 Zmonkay

Zmonkay

Awesome in Small Doses

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 February 2012 - 01:59 PM

And Luke isn't as annoying as I remembered, but thats probaly becuase I've seen even more annoying characters since then... I'm looking at you ToS 2.

No. NO! NOOOOOO!!!!

I planned to one day give ToS2 a shot (it's been chilling in my backlog, but everyone tears it a new one so I was holding off). Now I'm even more apprehensive...
For Sale: Like New/Opened Once Japanese Transformer 2010 Reissue Predaking http://www.cheapassg...291#post2498291

yourfree360games referal: SIGN UP AND GET FREE 360 games with easy and free (or dirt cheap) trial offers
http://www.yourfree3....php?ref=233445

#529 Chibi_Kaji

Chibi_Kaji

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:57 PM

No. NO! NOOOOOO!!!!

I planned to one day give ToS2 a shot (it's been chilling in my backlog, but everyone tears it a new one so I was holding off). Now I'm even more apprehensive...

I made it about 2 hours into the game and said Fuck it. I couldn't deal with any of the characters in that game.
Spoiler

"People who get nostalgic about childhood were obviously never children." - Bill Watterson

Posted Image

#530 R. Kasahara

R. Kasahara

The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:11 PM

Ni no Kuni PS3 being released in N. America in "winter 2012" - http://www.rpgamer.c...12/021612c.html
sig.gif
2014 Completed Games

:-({|=  The Video Game Soundtrack Deals Thread ~ Where and how to buy game music online. Oh, and deals, too!
:whee: PAX Prime 2014 Thread ~ It's that time again!

#531 TheLongshot

TheLongshot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:53 PM

Ni no Kuni PS3 being released in N. America in "winter 2012" - http://www.rpgamer.c...12/021612c.html

Nice to see some confirmation for that.

One of the main reasons why I own a PS3 is for that game.
Posted Image

#532 Rodimus

Rodimus

I'm Different

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 February 2012 - 11:03 PM

I heard it was coming to the states. Too bad we have to wait all year for it, but we finally get a true JRPG on a next-gen console. I'm in.

#533 Ryuukishi

Ryuukishi

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 February 2012 - 12:09 AM

WHAAAAT? Mass Effect costume DLC for Final Fantasy XIII-2?

#534 Chibi_Kaji

Chibi_Kaji

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 February 2012 - 12:18 AM

Fuck you ToA, don't tell where I can't go. :/

Posted Image

#535 bvharris

bvharris

the black wind howls

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 February 2012 - 12:32 AM

WHAAAAT? Mass Effect costume DLC for Final Fantasy XIII-2?

Shephard and Ezio are clearly engaged in some sort of weird competition to become this Johnny Appleseed-type figure who spreads his clothing across all known dimensions.

33126.png

#536 creid

creid

Dead For The Summer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 February 2012 - 02:04 AM

Sucks, when they first announced this last year I thought they meant the winter at the beginning of 2012, not the 1 week of winter at the end :-#

#537 matrix9280

matrix9280

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 February 2012 - 11:32 AM

I heard it was coming to the states. Too bad we have to wait all year for it, but we finally get a true JRPG on a next-gen console. I'm in.

Clarify please.

#538 Ryuukishi

Ryuukishi

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 February 2012 - 12:42 PM

Clarify please.

One that he personally thinks looks fun. Because that's what "true" means of course.

;)

#539 Rodimus

Rodimus

I'm Different

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 February 2012 - 02:41 PM

Clarify please.

True JRPG = one that has a little kid as the main characters and Pokemon-esque gameplay.

One that he personally thinks looks fun. Because that's what "true" means of course.

Personally? No no no. True means, real, genuine, not false. I did not misuse the word.

Edited by Rodimus, 21 February 2012 - 03:24 PM.

#540 willardhaven

willardhaven

Thief of Life

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 February 2012 - 06:07 PM

It looks like a great game. For me it's all about the town and dungeon exploration. Not dungeon crawling but uncovering new places and meeting interesting characters along the way.

PaulManda.png