So You Think You Can Ride RPG Thread XIV's Chocobo!!!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both the GOG and the CD version will work on Windows 7 pretty alrightish. There'll usually be some issues - slowdown, moonwalking, etc. - not covered in that guide. However, it does link to this, which covers things fairly well.

I also use the portrait mod, 'cause some of the 3D art in that game is ugly as balls.

[quote name='blueshinra']Six RPGs here (seven if Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes counts).

2011 was the year I finally played Rogue Galaxy. In 2012, I hope to play Persona 3 FES and Tales of the Abyss, at the very least; both have been sitting in my backlog for some time now.[/QUOTE]

Maybe this year I'll finally finish Persona 3. I also need to get back to Rogue Galaxy. As for Tales Of The Abyss, it will continue to sit in the backlog while I work on all the RPGs that I've partially finished.

Since starting the second part of Fire Emblem, I think I've had to restart every single battle because I lost someone. Pain in the ass considering I have to click through all the dialog.

Ah, Planescape: Torment. I remember that game. Pretty good, but I got to a certain point and I couldn't figure out how to go on so I gave up. It had Sheena Easton giving sexy voice acting so I was a big fan.

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually started a new game in P3P after dropping the game at ~14 hours in. Decided to try the new female character, and the new music and social links are helping keep things fresh. I really love the game, I'm not sure why I became disinterested during my last playthrough...

Also bumped it up to hard so as not to get bored.

[quote name='JEKKI']I'm 2.5 hours into Suikoden 5!!! nothing is happening yet lol[/QUOTE]
That game does take awhile to get going, but once it does it's fantastic.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']That game does take awhile to get going, but once it does it's fantastic.[/QUOTE]

It's definitely a slow burn compared to the PS1 titles. Well worth the patience though.

I've been meaning to pick up Tales of the Abyss forever. Buy It's been so long that I may as well pick it up for the 3DS and restart the game.

P3P is alright, I ended up cheating by grabbing a NG+ save. It's really strange that the MC is the only one who keeps their level.

[quote name='The Crotch']I found the opposite - rather than making the fights feel more intense, they just made them feel boring. fuck, used up my crowd-control on what I thought was the last wave, and now another bunch of assholes has materialized from the ground. Activate waiting on the cooldown power!

At worst, they actively wound otherwise good story-bits. Massive spoiler for Merril's final companion quest ahoy.
You come out of the cave after killing the keeper and the clan confronts you. You defend Merril. The clan attacks you. All these people you'd spent the whole game around, and now you have to kill each and every single one of them. There's the merchant that sold you your first helmet. There's that elf from Kirkwall, just now accepted back into the clan after years of exile. And now you're killing all of them, because if you don't, they'll murder the fuck out of you. One by one, the names fall, and you'll never hear a single line of dialogue, never buy a potion, never accept a quest, from any of these people again.

And now six guys named "Dalish Warrior" just popped out of those bushes. Kill them, and they respawn right in front of you. Thanks for stopping in, pathos, it was fun, you should visit more often.
[/QUOTE]

Oh god...that quest... I fucking hate that quest. That's actually the reason I stopped playing the game. After completing that quest, I triggered the end game and was completely unprepared and my most recent save was just before that boss battle...

Combat in DA2 always annoyed me because I felt like I was doing no damage...even after sinking most of my points into strength.

You did yourself a favour. The last hour and a half of it are the absolute worst part of the game. Nothing but dull fights, "Baby-Terminator"-level what the fuck, and characters turning evil for the sake of adding another boss fight.

Yeah I didn't feel like anything mattered with the way DA2 ended.

And I agree about the combat. I think the most satisfying part of it is watching yourself drop down with a 2 hander on a bunch of mini-enemies. But after you clear those out, your max strength 2h character can't even tickle the real guys. I think my favorite build was Merril's. I just made her a mage tank that used her own health as a mana pool.

Yeah, finished DA2 this morning... what a waste of 50 hrs. DA1 is one of my favorite games, but this game... Awakening felt like more of a sequel. This felt almost like a fan-made mod.

And yeah, the ending was just... an ending. Didn't really do anything to increase the lore of the world
Mages are rebelling?
Really? That's the whole point of 50 hrs of fetch quests and loading screens? Made zero sense, they don't explain anything about the
idol
, and there's a cameo of my single most hated character in the series at the end.

Nothing was ever resolved/continued with
Flemmeth
either.

My biggest complaint however is all the hints that the next game may take place in
Orlais
. I freaking HATE
Orlesians, from the way the speak (bad French accents? yay!) to the few Orlesian characters (as I said above, I despise Liliana)

Very worried one of my favorite "series" is doomed after such a promising first entry.

Now to decide if I take a break from RPGs until XIII-2, or dive back into Skyrim...

A combination of optimism and completionism, I assume.

On the next setting:
Yeah, I really hate Orlais, too. Somehow Ferelden got this whole Saxon feel to it, but Orlais is a stereotype of 18th century France. And yeah, the accents suck.

I'm hoping that, if the rumours are true and we do go to Orlais for the next game, we can at least get away from the "prissy french" stereotype. Give us La Hire or a metis trapper or Charlemagne or something. And maybe they'll throw horses in to the game, too. It always seemed weird to me - just a little thing in the back of my head all that time - that DAO, with all its army-on-army fighting, didn't have any horses in it. Can't really get away with that if you set a game in medieval Notfrance.

I'd rather they go to Tevinter, though. I got a thing for the Byzantine.

Xenogears by The Dark Id has just gone up on the Let's Play Archive. I can't wait to read it :whee:

In other news, I should be wrapping up Rune Factory: Tides of Destiny soonish. It's a fun game, but the farming is dumbed-down, the fishing could've been much better, and a few of the optional quests are broken (I think the birthday system might be as well). Rune Factory 3 is still the best one in the series.

[quote name='Chibi_Kaji']I've been meaning to pick up Tales of the Abyss forever. Buy It's been so long that I may as well pick it up for the 3DS and restart the game.
[/QUOTE]

I bought that, I think at least a year and a half ago on PS2 when I got it for pretty cheap and I played it for about a total of 15 minutes. I really should go back to it at some point.

Tales of the Abyss is awesome. It has an interesting story, great game play and awesome graphics. The setting and protagonist reminded me of Xenogears at first. The downside is the long load times you'll experience.

[quote name='willardhaven']Tales of the Abyss is awesome. It has an interesting story, great game play and awesome graphics. The setting and protagonist reminded me of Xenogears at first. The downside is the long load times you'll experience.[/QUOTE]

Load time won't be a problem once the 3ds version is out

[quote name='The Crotch']A combination of optimism and completionism, I assume.

This exactly. Completionism forced me to do all the pointless fetch quests, and optimism kept me going to see if something at the end, at least, would make it worth it... it wasn't, lol.

And yes,
Tevinter
as a setting would be fucking fantastic! It'd also give us a chance to learn more about the
Qunari
which DA2 started to elaborate on, and half way through said fuck it, let's go in this other direction instead.

Count me in with those waiting for the 3DS Tales of the Abyss though! Jade in 3D for the win!

Why does everyone hate on Leliana she was my favorite character in DA1, and I was happy that she got a couple of cameos in the second game; beyond that I agree with a lot of what has been said about DA2 though. I thought that the Leliana DLC for the first game was actually the funnest of the DLCs too.

I was actually thinking I might try and do a Leliana cosplay in the future, probably her outfit from the CG movie (even though it would be quite a challenge):
3969_644044.jpg

We'll see though I have a bunch of cosplays I've been thinking about, and I need to pick something soon and just get to work on it.

Annoying accent.

No sane person would ever have brought her along (from the perspective of an in-game character, I mean; she's actually super fucking useful to have).

'Dat facial animation.

I liked her accent.

It takes people who are a little less than sane to save the world from impending doom.

She looked fine to me in the game.

I've yet to meet an Orlesian whose accent I liked.

Alternately, you could have sane people. I'm pretty comfortable with sane people saving the world. My big problem here is that I'm given no in-game reason to recruit her. Like, I as the player realize - okay, this chick is a rogue. Traps and locks. I'll need her. But the characters in the game? All they know is that she joined in one fight then started going on about a nonsensical dream and that she thinks she's the new Woman Jesus. I the player have a fuckload of reasons to bring her along. I the character saw no reason to bring her along whatsoever, but I did anyway because hey, need a rogue.

It's been a long time; I'd have to load up a new game to say specifically what my problem was with her animation. It wasn't terrible by that game's standards - everyone was kinda wooden - but I remember it striking me as particularly awkward.

As far as I know though, she's a fairly popular character. And she made more sense than Zevran.

[quote name='The Crotch']Like, I as the player realize - okay, this chick is a rogue. Traps and locks. I'll need her. But the characters in the game?[/quote]

I think the characters in the game would want her for those exact same reasons, she clearly wasn't defenseless during the fight and she tells you she would be useful.

[quote name='The Crotch']All they know is that she joined in one fight then started going on about a nonsensical dream and that she thinks she's the new Woman Jesus.[/QUOTE]

She doesn't think she is the next Andraste, she thinks that the Maker gave her a dream which told her that she needed to join a group in order to stop the Blight, and given how few allies you actually have at that point in the game (considering there is a huge price on the heads of the remaining Grey Wardens) it doesn't really make sense to turn away help, even if their reasons seem a little far fetched.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Woman Jesus"... hehehe.

And yeah, I kept her until I got Zevran. Then pushed her to the side like a plate of vegatables...

Seriously, Zev's just too funny, whereas Liliana is boring and talks like she just had a root canal...

As an aside, my favorite part of DA2? The reference to Shale in the bar. Hahaha, pigeons.

I was @ gamestop the other day and noticed that Fate Extra is an RPG out for the PSP by Aksys.

Did anybody pick this up and play it?

I started playing Two Worlds II last night. Ugliest character models I've seen this generation. I quit the game before I even got to the combat. Thankfully, it was just a gamefly rental.

Almost finally done with Luminous Arc 2. 30 hours in, at Chapter 30. Very meat and potatoes generic strategy RPG.

Rei, you're out of your element![quote name='icebeast']I think the characters in the game would want her for those exact same reasons, she clearly wasn't defenseless during the fight and she tells you she would be useful.[/quote]
1: Only works for non-rogue PCs, 2: Requiring rogues to pick locks/disable traps is a gameplay conceit. Children are not branded with a great "R" upon their neck at birth, granting them mystical control over tumblers and pressure-plates. The characters do not look at Leliana and say, "Well, you've got no armour, you just jumped in to a fight that would have been a massacre if not for cone of cold. But shit, I bet you and only you can open that treasure chest in the chantry!"
[quote name='icebeast']She doesn't think she is the next Andraste, she thinks that the Maker gave her a dream which told her that she needed to join a group in order to stop the Blight,[/quote]
I'm not a lore expert. I didn't read everything. But one thing that I did get was this: Dragon Age God does not talk to Dragon Age people. That's his thing. Cronus eats his kids. Osiris had his dick tossed in to the river. Fenrir eats Odin (spoiler, yo). And The Maker don't talk to aaaaaaaanyone. In any form. The grand list of characters he talks to pre-Leliana reads: Andraste. And maaaaaybe Hessarian. Everyone else can fuck off. If not Jesus 2, she's at least wearing Elijah's hockey sweater (number 69, of course; Elijah was very childish).
[quote name='icebeast']and given how few allies you actually have at that point in the game (considering there is a huge price on the heads of the remaining Grey Wardens) it doesn't really make sense to turn away help, even if their reasons seem a little far fetched.[/QUOTE]
No time to start picking up strays, either.

The big "Why are you even here?" question bugs me a lot in a lot of games. Why am I bringing Merril along to smuggle a mage out of the circle? Why do Miranda and Mordin ever leave the ship? What are you doing picking up the succubus, Nameless One?

[quote name='The Crotch']The big "Why are you even here?" question bugs me a lot in a lot of games. Why am I bringing Merril along to smuggle a mage out of the circle? Why do Miranda and Mordin ever leave the ship? What are you doing picking up the succubus, Nameless One?[/QUOTE]

Haha, yeah, this bugs me from time to time too (nice spread of references btw). I can answer Mordin's though: Getting new material for his next impromptu song (my favorite moment in ME2!)

You guys sure know your lore 0_o

Anyways, you're commander shepherd, so they are under your orders. As for Dragon Age 2, well you're the coolest kid in Kirkwall, so everyone wants to be in your posse.

Also, question on DA2 because I don't really want to replay it.
The Quanarhi attack the city in my game, is there any way to change their mind? And if you side with the templars at the end, do you still face both sides as enemies (lol)?

Aye, but why would I order them to do these things? I the person know that these characters are protected by the mighty armour of Plot, but I the character am just an asshole who needlessly risks the lives of his most important crewmembers while the walking tank and the missile sponge chill inside the ship.

Such things irritate me.

And no, but
You can avoid the final fight with the Arishok if you get Isabella to not abandon you and you give her to the Qunari when she returns
and yes.

[quote name='The Crotch']Aye, but why would I order them to do these things? I the person know that these characters are protected by the mighty armour of Plot, but I the character am just an asshole who needlessly risks the lives of his most important crewmembers while the walking tank and the missile sponge chill inside the ship.

Such things irritate me.
[/QUOTE]

I've always wondered a similar thing about basically any RPG with parties. Like in a typical JRPG, should I imagine that the non-active members are just chillin' in the back while my main party battles? It's kind of funny when you try think about story and combat within the same ruleset in most RPGs.

[quote name='The Crotch']Rei, you're out of your element![/QUOTE]
I don't know. I'd argue I know more about Dragon Age and it's lore more than anyone else in this thread ;)

V I Lenin! Vladimir Ilyich Ulyanov!
[quote name='ihadFG']I've always wondered a similar thing about basically any RPG with parties. Like in a typical JRPG, should I imagine that the non-active members are just chillin' in the back while my main party battles? It's kind of funny when you try think about story and combat within the same ruleset in most RPGs.[/QUOTE]
Unfortunately, I think about those things a lot. The first Mass Effect was particularly bad about that, when
you lose a party member because you can only give back-up to one, even though you still have a bunch of characters just sitting on the ship
. I think Final Fantasy Tactics was the most annoying game in that regard though; a roiling mass of characters that I want to use, yet a limit of five guys in most fights.

Breath of Fire 4 was good about that shit, I remember. Not in the active party? Then you're healing up and providing support from the back row - a spell here, a potshot there - and you can swap characters in and out at a moment's notice.

[quote name='The Crotch']
Breath of Fire 4 was good about that shit, I remember. Not in the active party? Then you're healing up and providing support from the back row - a spell here, a potshot there - and you can swap characters in and out at a moment's notice.[/QUOTE]

On the downside it made the game much easier, BoF4 is the only BoF game I never died in a boss battle.

A game is a game though, and I think that's just one of the limits they uniquely face as compared to a movie or book. Gotta tell a story, but it also has to be interesting to play.

Some handle it better than others. I never liked how when in FF8, your base could be under attack and the music is going and people are running around in panic -- but oh no, feel free to strike up a game of cards with someone you pass by :lol:

[quote name='panzerfaust']A game is a game though, and I think that's just one of the limits they uniquely face as compared to a movie or book. Gotta tell a story, but it also has to be interesting to play.[/QUOTE]
Aye, it's an extra limitation you don't have elsewhere. Don't mean I like how it's handled most of the time.

[quote name='panzerfaust']A game is a game though, and I think that's just one of the limits they uniquely face as compared to a movie or book. Gotta tell a story, but it also has to be interesting to play.
[/QUOTE]

I do understand why that stuff is the way it is mechanically, but it is always impressive to see a game that shirks those issues in a creative way.

[quote name='ihadFG']I've always wondered a similar thing about basically any RPG with parties. Like in a typical JRPG, should I imagine that the non-active members are just chillin' in the back while my main party battles? It's kind of funny when you try think about story and combat within the same ruleset in most RPGs.[/QUOTE]

I always imagined that they were just fucking up other dudes on the side. In games that let inactive party members level up alongside the active, it makes sense.

FFX and BoF 4 were both awesome like that. OK, I can understand from a system resources perspective, or game balancing, that you can only have X party members active at a time (on screen), especially in older games on weaker consoles. In modern RPGs though, it just doesn't make any damned sense (except when, for story purposes, the team breaks up and are in different areas of the world).

I do love, as Indignate pointed out, the RPG's that have your sidelined characters level up too (thankfully increasingly common trend). That's what I hate most about going back to replay classic RPGs, needing to rotate in useless characters (I'm looking at you almost any White Mage ever) because of the inevitable battle you are forced to use them in.

They are just following behind pulling the cart that has your 99 potions and 30 variations of the same weapons for each of your party member. Everyone needs a pack mule yo, and in video games it is the white mage.

FF8 handled it well. Your party basically split up. Especially nice in the area with Ultima Weapon.

What always sucks is when your main party dies, and it's game over. Your other members just bend over and take it.

There were games where a member dies, and a spare comes in automatically.

i think you have to draw the line somewhere.

i stop thinking about the other members in my party when i realize how very few people would run around in circles fighting the same monsters until it drops a certain treasure chest or until you get stronger.

That's what makes Dragon Quest 8 so good. You can just be like, "Okay, group meeting. Guys, I know it sucks following just one person everywhere, but at least we still get the whinnying and horse-drawn carriage sounds. I'm glad you're all with me for some advice, but you're like...what do you even do when we're not fighting? I mean, why do I have to collect all the shit, fight everything, and still brew all the shit in the alchemy pot? Why not take a little initiative and make that Dragovian King Sword for me?"

So I've decided to finally play Nocturne (have had the game / guide sitting on the shelf taunting me for too long). Any tips/tricks/suggestions?

I watched some xenoblade footage this morning and I am excited to play a game on the wii finally. I assume it's not motion control from what I can tell. Anyone played it yet? I am kinda down about it being a gs exclusive though.

Playing Persona 3...

Shinjiro dies. Meh.

Playing P3P as the female...

Damn it Shinjiro! You've ruined my max S Links and you're dead! Thanks a lot.

I suppose I should have remembered from my first playthrough, but why should I care about anyone who's not an S Link?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back