So You Think You Can Ride RPG Thread XIV's Chocobo!!!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='isd71']I watched some xenoblade footage this morning and I am excited to play a game on the wii finally. I assume it's not motion control from what I can tell. Anyone played it yet? I am kinda down about it being a gs exclusive though.[/QUOTE]

Correct, no motion controls. From what I've heard classic controller is the way to go.

[quote name='panzerfaust']XIII-2 demo hit the store tonight, wrote some quick impressions in the blog section if anyone is curious.[/QUOTE]
Nice writeup, strongly agree with pretty much everything you said.

After playing the demo for a little bit last night, I probably actually need to put in the original game first, which I have yet to play. I really didn't have much of a clue what was going on with that first boss fight, and it is only after that you can read the tutorials.

I guess it is understandable that the demo is more geared toward people who are familiar with the first game.

back from Magfest!!!! 3 things:

I met ihadFG!! cool dood, but I could neither confirm nor deny whether he had FG or not.

unless FG stands for Fugees, then in that case it's confirm since freakin everyone had that CD back in the days.

#2, Nobuo Uematsu. I saw him in concert, but it was too crowded and loud and I didnt even watch the whole thing lol.

but regardless i saw him! nerd braggin rights!!

lastly, I got this shirt:

yOGD1.jpg

now Im back and ready to jump back into Suikoden 5!!

So I love how the Final Boss "true" form in Luminous Arc 2 is 30 levels higher than her previous form and does attacks 3x greater than the previous battle. (Which was the "final" battle)

This might be another game where I give up at the final boss. Meh.

[quote name='pete5883']Might have to get me one of those.[/QUOTE]

They were at Anime USA, and I'd say they'd likely be at Katsucon as well.

[quote name='JEKKI']lastly, I got this shirt:

yOGD1.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Love that shirt! (It's got Teddie on it). I might have to see if I can get one too.

Is something up with the FF13-2 demo? I had Noel as the leader and I wanted to heal him so a manually switched to Serah to heal Noel specifically and he didn't get healed.

Anyone have that happen to them?

I didn't have an issue with the demo. However I didn't bother switching party members mid-battle. The AI did it fair enough so I didn't really feel the need to bother.

Although I don't really chime in here much, I have to say that I just started up Arc the Lad II for the first time in years and it's a nice breath of fresh air. I wish more games had substance to them these days like that game did. Too bad III wasn't as good. Then they drastically changed the remainder of the games in the Arc the Lad series and everything went terribly downhill.

[quote name='Draekon']
Although I don't really chime in here much, I have to say that I just started up Arc the Lad II for the first time in years and it's a nice breath of fresh air. I wish more games had substance to them these days like that game did. Too bad III wasn't as good. Then they drastically changed the remainder of the games in the Arc the Lad series and everything went terribly downhill.[/QUOTE]

It would be nice to see a true sprite based sequel to that game. I always thought it was a bit disappointing how many sequels in the PS1,2 era came out with 3D graphics and poorly written dialog and underwhelming plots.

[quote name='Draekon']I didn't have an issue with the demo. However I didn't bother switching party members mid-battle. The AI did it fair enough so I didn't really feel the need to bother.

Although I don't really chime in here much, I have to say that I just started up Arc the Lad II for the first time in years and it's a nice breath of fresh air. I wish more games had substance to them these days like that game did. Too bad III wasn't as good. Then they drastically changed the remainder of the games in the Arc the Lad series and everything went terribly downhill.[/QUOTE]
I actually liked Arc 3 more than 2. Arc 2 was a good game but I felt it was way too long. Towards the end that game dragged a lot for me. I just wanted it to be over with. While the overall plot is weaker in the third game, the characters are fantastic. I felt that made up for the weaker plot.

Hey Draekon, are you playing the games with the original discs or PSN? I might have a code for Arc Arena sitting around somewhere if you don't have that in physical or digital form already, just let me know if you want it.

Well, started up FF XIII today, and I definitely get a better feel for combat going though those tutorials than I did with the XIII-2 demo.

[quote name='fwbweux']Hey Draekon, are you playing the games with the original discs or PSN? I might have a code for Arc Arena sitting around somewhere if you don't have that in physical or digital form already, just let me know if you want it.[/QUOTE]

I have both physical and digital (PSN) copies actually. Thanks though.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']I actually liked Arc 3 more than 2. Arc 2 was a good game but I felt it was way too long. Towards the end that game dragged a lot for me. I just wanted it to be over with. While the overall plot is weaker in the third game, the characters are fantastic. I felt that made up for the weaker plot.[/QUOTE]

Somewhat. However I like that the story actually felt like a story and not really rushed. And yeah, the characters and the gameplay in III was still pretty good. I thought the game was ok, just not up to par of its predecessor in various areas. It was still a fairly enjoyable experience.

Now if TitS II would release, I would be happy.

[quote name='j-cart']Is something up with the FF13-2 demo? I had Noel as the leader and I wanted to heal him so a manually switched to Serah to heal Noel specifically and he didn't get healed.

Anyone have that happen to them?[/QUOTE]
There is "blood damage" in the game whereby an attack can actually lower the character's max HP for the duration of the battle or until the status is dispelled. That may have been what it was.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']There is "blood damage" in the game whereby an attack can actually lower the character's max HP for the duration of the battle or until the status is dispelled. That may have been what it was.[/QUOTE]

I completely forgot about "Wounding" as the game calls it. Yeah, you can't heal wounds through healing. You can only use wound potions to heal it in the middle of battle. It goes back to normal after the fight though.

EDIT: I should clarify I suppose. The "Red" on a health bar is healable damage. Empty space on the right side is "Wound" damage that can only be healed by finishing the fight or using a wound potion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since this is an RPG thread, you guys might have some interest in this. Way back in December 2010, Dark Horse comics solicited Yoshitaka Amano's "The Sky: The Art of Final Fantasy" for release in March of 2011. The release date has been pushed back quite a few times (the last estimated release being January 10th, 2012).

Since my initial preorder at Amazon was canceled, I've been trying to get some information from Dark Horse about whether this has been canceled or if it will be resolicited. I haven't received any word whatsoever on it. I've emailed, tried calling, contacting via twitter, nothing. I had a preorder on Barnes and Noble for the book. The page has been taken down, but my preorder is still in place. I haven't received a cancellation notice on it.

If you're interested at all in this book (it covers Amano's artwork from Final Fantasy I-X), I've set up a thread at the Dark Horse forums. It can be found here.

I'd heard of the English edition of The Sky and decided to pass on it in the end. However, this is because I already have five Amano books (Complete Prints, Dawn [Dark Horse ed.], Hiten, Maten, and Japan) and don't feel the need to get any more, especially at that price. I'm not that big of a fan, I guess :p

Right Stuf still has The Sky up for preorder at a decent discount, so you could try there if B&N doesn't come through.

happy Martin Luther King day off from work!!!

I got 9 hours in Suckoden V now~!!! shyt's gettin real yo!!

but I still cant get over how weird the main character's name is...

zthqN.jpg

not only that, but there's a character in the game named Belcoot!!

fucking Belcoot man!!

can u believe it?!?! u kno what that name reminds me of??

Jeffcoat.

Donny Jeffcoat, to be more precise.

freakin Donny Jeffcoat...

[quote name='blueshinra']I'd heard of the English edition of The Sky and decided to pass on it in the end. However, this is because I already have five Amano books (Complete Prints, Dawn [Dark Horse ed.], Hiten, Maten, and Japan) and don't feel the need to get any more, especially at that price. I'm not that big of a fan, I guess :p

Right Stuf still has The Sky up for preorder at a decent discount, so you could try there if B&N doesn't come through.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the Right Stuf link. I'm not too hopeful about them getting any copies either, but I'll keep an eye out just in case they happen to. I frequent comic websites and I know when Dark Horse announces new releases/cancellations, I just haven't seen anything about this. Which sucks because the Japanese version of the book goes for $1000+.

Hopefully they will release it and we'll get some news on it to boot. Just wanted to make sure that people were aware of the potential release.

[quote name='sephiroth61787']Since this is an RPG thread, you guys might have some interest in this. Way back in December 2010, Dark Horse comics solicited Yoshitaka Amano's "The Sky: The Art of Final Fantasy" for release in March of 2011. The release date has been pushed back quite a few times (the last estimated release being January 10th, 2012).

Since my initial preorder at Amazon was canceled, I've been trying to get some information from Dark Horse about whether this has been canceled or if it will be resolicited. I haven't received any word whatsoever on it. I've emailed, tried calling, contacting via twitter, nothing. I had a preorder on Barnes and Noble for the book. The page has been taken down, but my preorder is still in place. I haven't received a cancellation notice on it.

If you're interested at all in this book (it covers Amano's artwork from Final Fantasy I-X), I've set up a thread at the Dark Horse forums. It can be found here.[/QUOTE]
Oh wow, never heard of this at all. Pretty surprising as I usually keep on top of DH stuff. Looks like I'll have to place my order at TRSI and cross my fingers.

[quote name='JEKKI']can u believe it?!?! u kno what that name reminds me of??

Jeffcoat.

Donny Jeffcoat, to be more precise.

freakin Donny Jeffcoat...[/QUOTE]
omar gooding

[quote name='pete5883']Oh wow, never heard of this at all. Pretty surprising as I usually keep on top of DH stuff. Looks like I'll have to place my order at TRSI and cross my fingers.[/QUOTE]

From my experience running a game store awile ago, the problem with game art books is there's never really a concrete release date. Even what Diamond publishing tells you is wrong. Sometimes books get delayed 30 times, or just get published with no prior warning.

One day you'll recieve a list of new inventory, and it'll be there out of the blue. (and often, game art books are really niche, it'll be gone from the distro quick and lots of times never republished)

It can actually be quite infuriating from a store's standpoint.

Anyone else try the Kingdoms of Amalur demo? I thought it was really good. Looking forward to that game even more now.

Last edited by a moderator:
is the Amalur demo Gold exclusive? It's not showing for me, so I assume so :( I was really looking forward to it (and need to play on 360, to get the ME3 item unlocks). Been on my radar since it was first announced. Great pedigree, and a current gen game with colors other than brown and grey? Sign me up :D

[quote name='hankmecrankme']Playing Dragon Age, dog is awesome. I named him Beast.[/QUOTE]

I named him Dog. I'm creative.

[quote name='panzerfaust']I hate having animal party members, so I never used him.

He can join Red XIII and Kimarhi.[/QUOTE]

Kimarhi was humanoid, at least. And sucked.

Red XIII was actually good.

[quote name='panzerfaust']I hate having animal party members, so I never used him.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like you might have some trouble with FFXIII-2... ;)

[quote name='hankmecrankme']Playing Dragon Age, dog is awesome. I named him Beast.[/QUOTE]

But is he an icebeast?

I always used Red XIII in FF7. Cloud, Tifa, Red was my party.

I liked how the dog in DA2 is summonable, and not a party member.

[quote name='BigPopov']From my experience running a game store awile ago, the problem with game art books is there's never really a concrete release date. Even what Diamond publishing tells you is wrong. Sometimes books get delayed 30 times, or just get published with no prior warning.

One day you'll recieve a list of new inventory, and it'll be there out of the blue. (and often, game art books are really niche, it'll be gone from the distro quick and lots of times never republished)

It can actually be quite infuriating from a store's standpoint.[/QUOTE]
I remember keeping an eye on Amano's Hero graphic novel that was supposed to come out a few years ago. It got solicited over and over, the date pushed back for years on end. Don't think it ever actually came out here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back