So You Think You Can Ride RPG Thread XIV's Chocobo!!!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='TheLongshot']Don't fight it. Let it embrace your soul![/QUOTE]

At best, it can only ever be the second best metal RPG song ever:

[youtube]RIcUMVE2ya0[/youtube]

[quote name='bvharris']At best, it can only ever be the second best metal RPG song ever:
[/QUOTE]
I couldn't make it past the 5 second mark. That's got to be a record.

[quote name='pete5883']I couldn't make it past the 5 second mark. That's got to be a record.[/QUOTE]

You should. I wasn't being sarcastic, it's actually an amazing cover once you get past the beginning (and I don't even like metal).

It takes 40 seconds for the horrible vocals to stop, and then it sounds pretty dry after that, especially for a "metal" song. I guess RPGs don't have high standards for that genre of music though...

Or maybe my tastes are way off.

Crazy Chocobo just gave me a crazy idea. Fast and the Furious series, replace cars with chocobos. Think about it.

"I still owe you a ten-second chocobo."

"Shit! It's the chococops!"

"You think you can ride this chocobo?"

[quote name='fwbweux']I just listened to Crazy Chocobo five times in a row. Someone please tell me how I can repent and cleanse myself of this madness.[/QUOTE]the Persona 4 soundtrack!!!

your fraction! your fraction! taken from coffee!!!

I'll sweater you until the kisses my hero!!

your fraction! your fraction! your fraction!

I'll sweater you until the kisses my hero!!

[quote name='fwbweux']I just listened to Crazy Chocobo five times in a row. Someone please tell me how I can repent and cleanse myself of this madness.[/QUOTE]
I have had music from Ys Book I & II (TG16 version) stuck in my head for the better part of the day. Not that I mind; it's a rockin' soundtrack.

Yuzo Koshiro: the answer to life's problems!

[quote name='panzerfaust']It takes 40 seconds for the horrible vocals to stop, and then it sounds pretty dry after that, especially for a "metal" song. I guess RPGs don't have high standards for that genre of music though...

Or maybe my tastes are way off.[/QUOTE]

Wow, thanks for the heads up. Yeah, it's a pretty good song after they shut the fuck up. Just enforces my theory that a lot of screamer metal bands are actually damned good if they'd release an instrumental album

Beat those terrible Maneaters,and the Adjudicator who was extremely easy when you fight him on the ground level on my last session of Demon's Souls.Working my way through 4-2 which is the easiest level of the game so far for me.

[quote name='Zmonkay']Wow, thanks for the heads up. Yeah, it's a pretty good song after they shut the fuck up. Just enforces my theory that a lot of screamer metal bands are actually damned good if they'd release an instrumental album[/QUOTE]

Most of the album isn't metal, it's got a lot of different styles. It's a great tribute album to Chrono Trigger.

[youtube]WpexAP02du0[/youtube]

Been playing alot of :ds: this month.

About 20 chapters in and almost as many hours into Luminous Arc 2.
Now I'm just playing through it in order to finish it. But it's boring. I hate giving up on game half way or 2/3rd of the way through, looknig back and thinking:

"That was a waste of time."

About the only RPGing I can muster right now is Kenka Bancho: Badass Rumble on the PSP, and the occassional Harvest Moon: Tale of Two Towns on the 3DS

I've just had too much of a short attention span, unfortunately. :( I hope it comes back again soon...

I've been real busy with the holidays too.. :(

[quote name='Chibi_Kaji']Crazy Chocobo has convinced me to cancel my FF13-2 preorder.[/QUOTE]

So that way you can import it and have it sooner?

Tales of Xilla outsold XIII-2 in Japan in its first week, Square is ruined -- or so the media headlines read.

It's not really advertised as the next Square heavy hitter though, so I don't know what people were expecting.

[quote name='panzerfaust']Tales of Xilla outsold XIII-2 in Japan in its first week, Square is ruined -- or so the media headlines read.[/QUOTE]

I'm assuming that's XIII-2 selling obscenely low and not Xilla selling abnormally high.

I wish it was that second thing.

I wouldn't call 500,000 in 4 days an obscenely low figure, but is indeed 1/3rd as much as its predecessor sold. I actually called that fraction a long time ago :cool:

It's just a little sequel, I'm not even hugely excited for it. And a new PS3 Tales is kind of a huge deal.

I guess because everyone expects Square's products to sell insane amounts?

As for me, lately I've been playing a lot of Fire Emblem on my phone's GBA emulator. I just got done with the first part, which felt like a really long tutorial.

Final Fantasy XIII, regardless of its actual quality, had six years of hype and absurdly high expectations attached to it. It was a huge event, XIII-2 is just another game release.

[quote name='kainzero']it was old hat a week ago!
people won't let it die![/QUOTE]
I used to think it was old hat like you, but then I decided to keep it going.

[quote name='TheLongshot']s/t. The first one released in the states.[/QUOTE]
That's... the Lyn/Eliwood/Hector one, yes? The last one before they realized that their inventory system was shit?

Yeah, the first part is a big tutorial. I think the higher difficulties skip right over it...

[quote name='The Crotch']That's... the Lyn/Eliwood/Hector one, yes? The last one before they realized that their inventory system was shit?

Yeah, the first part is a big tutorial. I think the higher difficulties skip right over it...[/QUOTE]

Yes. I just got done with the Lyndis track. One thing that threw me was that I had a couple of characters "die" (Sain and Florina for me. I lost Florina in the chapter she was introduced, which was a learning experience: be careful who you send against the boss of the level.), but the game acted like they were fine. It wasn't until a few chapters later that I realized that they were "out" for the track.

my coworker removed an arrow from my knee!!!

she gave me a $10 itunes gift card!!

and Final Fantasy Tactics for iphone is on sale... for $12 lol.

I bought it!! I will play it soon to see how it is good!

[quote name='JEKKI']my coworker removed an arrow from my knee!!!

she gave me a $10 itunes gift card!!

and Final Fantasy Tactics for iphone is on sale... for $12 lol.

I bought it!! I will play it soon to see how it is good![/QUOTE]

It's a good game, I'm going to start it up again probably after I finish Tactics Ogre PSP.

So far Tactics Ogre on the PSP is pretty good. I'm finishing chapter 3 and only downside is leveling new classes takes a long time.

[quote name='zionoverfire']It's a good game, I'm going to start it up again probably after I finish Tactics Ogre PSP.

So far Tactics Ogre on the PSP is pretty good. I'm finishing chapter 3 and only downside is leveling new classes takes a long time.[/QUOTE]

Switching all your units to A.I. lets the game play itself why you prepare sandwiches. It's a good way to grind new classes, lol

But yeah that part of the game blows.

[quote name='panzerfaust']Switching all your units to A.I. lets the game play itself why you prepare sandwiches. It's a good way to grind new classes, lol

But yeah that part of the game blows.[/QUOTE]

:shock: I think I'm going to have to go try that, thanks.

awwwww yeay started up Los Efectos Mas again!!!

it's like another arrow has been pulled out of my knee,

and placed into the snatch of Liara Tuscannini!!!

for realz, Macaron Shepard be on that hot girl on alien action!!! I got that scene!!

and seriously, I have never been more flaccid as far as my recent memory can remember!

anywayz... goal is to beat it this weekend!! gotta add one more game to 2011's completed list!

Finally started Dragon Age 2 yesterday, to take advantage of the 4-day weekend from work.

It's not bad but it's not Dragon Age. The graphics/animations/battle animations have definitely been improved (same engine though, I believe?) but the gameplay has taken a serious hit imho. The characters are also generally less interesting/likable.

DA:O felt like a true successor to the Baldur's Gate / Neverwinter Nights style of WRPG. DA2 just feels a heck of a lot more generic and dumbed down.

[quote name='Zmonkay']Finally started Dragon Age 2 yesterday, to take advantage of the 4-day weekend from work.

It's not bad but it's not Dragon Age. The graphics/animations/battle animations have definitely been improved (same engine though, I believe?) but the gameplay has taken a serious hit imho. The characters are also generally less interesting/likable.

DA:O felt like a true successor to the Baldur's Gate / Neverwinter Nights style of WRPG. DA2 just feels a heck of a lot more generic and dumbed down.[/QUOTE]

The combat operates nearly the same as the original did if you bump it up to hard. Stunlock the lethal enemies, and focus em down. The only difference now is the game sends a bunch of fodder for you to hack through before the real fighting actually begins. Mowing down the small guys is supposed to increase the intensity, and make you feel more powerful -- I think it works, for the most part.

Biggest problem I had was that on the PC, you could no longer zoom out all the way, and the game's new system of enemy waves makes it so you have no fucking clue what just spawned in the back of the field, and suddenly everyone dies to an enemy mage you can't see.

Of course the real problem of both DA:O and DA2 is very ittle variety in terms of reward. Each game is made up of fairly monotonous dungeons and a little side contest of how much useless shit you can pick up. The only sense of reward, admittedly a substantial one (and more so in DA:O), is the challenge of the combat -- which does start to get old when you've faced the same demons and bandits for the past 20 hours. DA2 lacks enemy variety more so than DA:O, but DA2 certainly didn't have the horrendous Deep Roads experience, and the Fade wasn't as bad this time round (was still awful, though) :wall:.

[quote name='The Crotch']
Though I'm not with you on the animation being improved. Different don't equal better.[/QUOTE]

Definitely more flashy, I found it more pleasing to look at.

--

And of course, the dialogue and side stories were a huge step down in DA2 compare to Origins. Kirkwall is a really shitty city, and the whole game takes place there. You'd think they'd put some effort into such a small area that the entire game is based around.

Though the characters were just as fun IMO, as well as hit and miss across both games. Overall, I feel the animosity towards DAII is pretty over exaggerated. It's definitely not as good as its predecessor, but it's still a fun little Dragon Age experience you can mess around with while waiting for a hopefully more epic DA3.

Last edited by a moderator:
whooo~!! finished Mass Effect!!

2011 gaming is done!!

done i say!!

now I be on that 2012 gaming shyt!!

hopefully this year I beat more than 2 RPG lol (the only other one I beat was Radiant Historia)

[quote name='panzerfaust']The combat operates nearly the same as the original did if you bump it up to hard. Stunlock the lethal enemies, and focus em down. The only difference now is the game sends a bunch of fodder for you to hack through before the real fighting actually begins. Mowing down the small guys is supposed to increase the intensity, and make you feel more powerful -- I think it works, for the most part.[/QUOTE]
I found the opposite - rather than making the fights feel more intense, they just made them feel boring. fuck, used up my crowd-control on what I thought was the last wave, and now another bunch of assholes has materialized from the ground. Activate waiting on the cooldown power!

At worst, they actively wound otherwise good story-bits. Massive spoiler for Merril's final companion quest ahoy.
You come out of the cave after killing the keeper and the clan confronts you. You defend Merril. The clan attacks you. All these people you'd spent the whole game around, and now you have to kill each and every single one of them. There's the merchant that sold you your first helmet. There's that elf from Kirkwall, just now accepted back into the clan after years of exile. And now you're killing all of them, because if you don't, they'll murder the fuck out of you. One by one, the names fall, and you'll never hear a single line of dialogue, never buy a potion, never accept a quest, from any of these people again.

And now six guys named "Dalish Warrior" just popped out of those bushes. Kill them, and they respawn right in front of you. Thanks for stopping in, pathos, it was fun, you should visit more often.

[quote name='panzerfaust']Definitely more flashy, I found it more pleasing to look at.[/QUOTE]
I found it... jarring. Especially the mages. They all have these complex, intricate movements for their basic attack. Which would be fine, but they all have the exact same complex, intricate movements for their basic attack, and all of those movements seem to be entirely extraneous. One character swinging and twirling and doing all those fancy moves? That's good characterization through non-verbal means. It says that he's talented, and he wants everyone to know it. He likes to show off, and he knows that he's good enough to get away with it. Every mage swinging and twirling and doing all those fancy moves? It means every single mage in the Free Marches was taught by the same Cirque du Soleil performer. The guy with the giant rings. You know the one, right?

I appreciated some of the little touches, like how using the shield defence ability actually changed your animation to a more cautious, conservative one - shield raised higher, attacks changed from full-body swings to careful stabs. Shame it looked stupid any time you used a mace or an axe instead of a sword, but... eh. I'm just impressed they actually did that bit.

[quote name='panzerfaust'] Though the characters were just as fun IMO, as well as hit and miss across both games. Overall, I feel the animosity towards DAII is pretty over exaggerated. It's definitely not as good as its predecessor, but it's still a fun little Dragon Age experience you can mess around with while waiting for a hopefully more epic DA3.[/QUOTE]
Any shitting on that the game gets is deserved, I think. Fights were too long and too frequent (often occurring in such overwhelming density that you can easily find yourself fighting multiple, entirely unrelated groups of enemies at the same time). There was no overarching plot or motivation for Hawke. Hawke himself was kind of a massive pussy. Supposedly major enemies were as dangerous as common spiders. Numerous changes to canon. Imported saves being largely ignored, even - hell, especially - with regard to characters who were supposed to be dead. Every single non-Qunari enemy's motivation boiling down to, "I'm a blood mage!" "I'm possessed!" or "I'm a possessed blood mage!". An extremely small set of recycled environments (with horrible maps attached to them). Changes to the inventory and equipment - flavour text, naming (ring, ring, ring, ring, amulet, ring, ring, bananaphone...) companion gear, all that shit. Enemy mages and rogues who seemingly operated on a ruleset completely foreign to the game, like the Master Chief dropped unmodified in to the original Deus Ex or something. Camera and targetting issues. Tallis. The entire last hour and a half or so of the game. The dialogue wheel, and the limitations thereof (Admittedly, some say it's an acceptable trade-off for a voiced main character, but I think we can all at least agree that the implementation could be improved...). Every single choice converging on the same thing, usually a fight for some reason.

It doesn't get enough credit for what was done right (or at least things that should be tried more often), though. Stats and skills were made far more transparent and understandable in DA2. The journal and codex were made useful and pleasant. The major redesigns of races - while controversial - really god damn worked. They had the balls to give you and your character serious losses and setbacks, some of which you could control, some of which you couldn't (though I wasn't crazy about how they were done in any case). They tried to go for a much more limited setting with a story focused heavily on your character and his/her actions, rather than giving you a massive world and a Save the X storyline, though I fear that both have been so poorly received, they won't try either for a long, long time.

There are a lot of parenthesis in this post.

[quote name='JEKKI']hopefully this year I beat more than 2 RPG lol (the only other one I beat was Radiant Historia)[/QUOTE]
Six RPGs here (seven if Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes counts).

2011 was the year I finally played Rogue Galaxy. In 2012, I hope to play Persona 3 FES and Tales of the Abyss, at the very least; both have been sitting in my backlog for some time now.

[quote name='JEKKI']

and seriously, I have never been more flaccid as far as my recent memory can remember!

anywayz... goal is to beat it this weekend!!![/QUOTE]

your goals are far reaching and worthy of praise, my friend

panzerfaust and The Crotch both bring up really good points. I hate the new "waves" of enemy fodder. The biggest problem I have, however, is

[quote name='The Crotch']Numerous changes to canon. [/QUOTE]

I'm a lore/canon nut. I read every bit of codex, played all the DA:O DLC and Awakening (which was fantastic. It's sad when an expansion is better than a sequel), and even read the books (pretty good, actually). Then they just went and said fuck it and did whatever they wanted for DA:2.

It's still a pretty enjoyable game, taken on its own merits, but as a sequel it is garbage, and as a Bioware game it is garbage. It really almost feels like a fan-fic mod more than anything, hehe.

Jekki: Congrats on finishing Mass Effect. Now for ME2!

Everyone: Happy New Year!

You're not making me look forward to playing Dragon Age 2 when I dig it out from my backlog later this year.

Happy new Years!!

Suikoden V!!

I heard this is a good game... I think it's gonna be the RPG I start the New Year with!!

just one in my huge backlog of JRPGs!!

on the bright side, aint nothing coming out this year til March so maybe I'll get 2 done!!!

[quote name='heavyd853']your goals are far reaching and worthy of praise, my friend[/QUOTE]lol! real talk, can u believe I havent jacked off since last year?!?!?!

[quote name='Zmonkay']Jekki: Congrats on finishing Mass Effect. Now for ME2![/QUOTE]true dat.

but list of Western RPGs I wanna play before that:

Fallout 3
Witcher
Planescape Tormet

the only game I wanna play after ME2 is Dragon Age lol. that game can wait! the other 3 have priority!

Hmm, looking at my completed list from 2011:
6 Action RPGs
2 SRPGs
5 or so turn-based RPGs.

Just started Chaos Rings for iOS yesterday, it's got that PS1-era RPG feel. Battle system isn't too exciting, but it's nice to explore CG backgrounds again.

[quote name='panzerfaust']Good shit, crotch, I actually agree with you here. Perhaps I was being too forgiving.[/QUOTE]
Forgiveness is for the weak!

More bad: Runes destroyed on removal from items. Lack of gameplay variety (as you pointed out). Flemeth's new "stupid sexy Flanders" appearance. Dark Templar and High Templar no longer come from the same building, what the fuck? Decreased build versatility. Piss-poor support for modders. Specialization (and class) often ignored in conversation/plot. Cross-class comboes are entirely arbitrary. Those three-year gaps are fucking horrendous.

More good: Crafting no longer a huge pain in the tits. Specialized skill trees for companions. The "family changes appearance with you" thing was a good idea, though a "preview" button would have been nice, and they missed one family member. Cross-class comboes are satisfying and make it feel like the characters actually are working together. Rogue armour no longer looks identical to every single other rogue armour. All-around good voice acting. The Arishok was actually kinda cool sometimes. Got to kill off a lot of annoying characters. They didn't overdo the DAO cameos (looking at you, ME2).

[quote name='Zmonkay']I'm a lore/canon nut. I read every bit of codex, played all the DA:O DLC and Awakening (which was fantastic. It's sad when an expansion is better than a sequel), and even read the books (pretty good, actually). Then they just went and said fuck it and did whatever they wanted for DA:2.[/QUOTE]
See, that was one of the least of my complaints, but it's one of the bigger factors in whether or not I get DA3. Failing everything else, I could normally say, "Well, I'll get the next one just to see how the story ends," but what's the point of that if it ignores how the story started?
[quote name='JEKKI']
but list of Western RPGs I wanna play before that:

Fallout 3
Witcher
Planescape Tormet[/QUOTE]
Ooh, you have my whole-hearted approval on that last one. Just make sure you follow this guide before playing. Fixes typoes, restores content, increases resolution, etc. And make sure you start off with plenty of wisdom on your character. And ignore the speed stat of weapons, it's nearly meaningless. And make sure you don't play a rogue. And make sure you don't put any strength on your character past 18 (though strength-boosting items past that point are great).

And make sure you're not mean to Annah or Morte. Or I will find you, and I will cut you. Seriously, you abuse Morte? You make Annah cry? Cut you. Hard. And deep. And slow.

lol ok thanks I jus bookmarked it! it may be a while tho til I play it, but I have heard it's suppose to be the greatest game ever made.

I'm 2.5 hours into Suikoden 5!!! nothing is happening yet lol

[quote name='JEKKI']I'm 2.5 hours into Suikoden 5!!! nothing is happening yet lol[/QUOTE]

Sounds like what happened when I was ~ 1/2 way through Star Ocean 3... :p

[quote name='The Crotch']Ooh, you have my whole-hearted approval on that last one. Just make sure you follow this guide before playing. Fixes typoes, restores content, increases resolution, etc. And make sure you start off with plenty of wisdom on your character. And ignore the speed stat of weapons, it's nearly meaningless. And make sure you don't play a rogue. And make sure you don't put any strength on your character past 18 (though strength-boosting items past that point are great).
[/QUOTE]
I've been meaning to go through Planescape since I only got partway through it 10 years ago, but I assumed it wouldn't work very well and I'd need the GOG version. It sounds like with all those instructions and patches, I could get my 4-CD version running on Windows 7 without issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back