• Please log in to reply
169 replies to this topic

#31 davidb69

davidb69

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 March 2012 - 03:05 PM

When Oblivion came out I had no kids.

With my kids being 10 and 8, I don't have to pay as much attention to them anymore. I forget the first 6 years where they need/want more attention. My 10 year old tells me to go away 90% of the time and they don't even want me to game with them now. Most of my gaming time is post 9pm.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Wii - 2303 0628 4559 9276

#32 4thHorseman

4thHorseman

The New God

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 March 2012 - 03:23 PM

Great Cagcast guys. Wombat, you are completely right about the Futurama episode with Fry's dog. My god was that punishing on my feelings. Wish I had a dog that would love me that much.

#33 jms493

jms493

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 March 2012 - 03:43 PM

Here are some thoughts on the show lately.

Cheapy D seems less of a gamer as of late. The only game I know he has played lately is Saints Row 3 and maybe some demos and demos they he doesn’t even want to try. He is has been misinformed lately about some basic game news. I am starting to see that this is more of a job for him then his passion. P.S I don’t need/want to hear about Apple products every show.

Wombat is pretty much the same. I enjoy his humor and don’t take a lot of what he says too seriously. I mean c’mon, it’s a video game podcast. It is interesting to hear how he games with 2 kids, a wife and a full time job.

Shipwreck seems like a hard core gamer. He plays through a lot of games and buys almost everything. I don’t know where he finds the time with a full time job and a wife as well. I am being D.I.N.K.S helps.

The format of the show is fine. There should be some sort of structure no matter how loose it is.

I enjoy this podcast and it is one of the ones I look forward to. I would say this is top 3 with the Giant Bombcast and Invisible Walls.

Keep em coming.

Jms493

#34 sliderwave

sliderwave

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 March 2012 - 03:56 PM

Never end.

#35 kennygmoney

kennygmoney

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 March 2012 - 04:13 PM

Honestly, I never have an issue with the way you guys run the show. The way I always look at it is. It's a podcast and I listen to be entertained while I'm doing something else (normally at work). As long as you guys are talking about anything I'm happy. The different views, opinions, and personalities that the three of you bring to the podcast each week is perfect in my opinion. One of my favorite podcasts of all time was Diggnation where the show hosts rarely if ever stayed on topic or stuck to their normal show format. And it was awesome! So to those people that complain when you guys get off topic or think one you rants about something for too long. Get over yourself. It's a podcast and variety is the spice of life.

Keep up the good work guys. Another excellent episode.

small.pngDaddy_Dark_Side.png

#36 hoofrog

hoofrog

Game Whore

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 March 2012 - 04:15 PM

As a long time listener of the show, I don't think I have any constructive criticism. I see nothing wrong with the format of the show, the length or the hosts. I enjoy listening to you three every week. The only suggestion I would make is bring the show to PAX East.

#37 Curufinwe

Curufinwe

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 March 2012 - 04:21 PM

Bring back the "CAGs on News" jingle. That's my criticism.

Why can't Cheapy and Shipwreck do a show together next week with Wombat out?

Curufinwe5503.png? Curufinwe.jpg

#38 DragoonKnight

DragoonKnight

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 March 2012 - 04:23 PM

Constructive criticism... play more games! I don't care if it's iOS, Vita, 360, just play more games. I understand Wombat being too busy to play a lot of games, but Cheapy's gotta have more to talk about. The game conversations are getting thinner and thinner.

#39 jms493

jms493

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 March 2012 - 04:28 PM

yeah why not?

#40 roclife

roclife

Posted 01 March 2012 - 04:28 PM

Hey guys,

I suppose this is desperation at its finest, seeing as I would very much like that MK:KE Wombat is giving away, but as you can see from my posts it wouldn't appear that I'm much of a interactive listener in regards to the message boards. They aren't my thing, but I do listen to the CAGcast every week and look forward to it as my favorite video gaming podcast, so please don't let my lack of posts give the impression that I'm not a excited and constant listener, I just don't get on the ol' interwebs too often to post on a message board.

With that out of the way, let me offer my Konstructive Kriticism (sad, I know) for the show in general:

Pros:
* All 3 of you have a unique viewpoint on video games and provide excellent banter when talking about it. Shipwreck seems to be the level-headed one with (most) of the facts straight, Cheapy D is one extreme of an opinion of being a lazy gamer with views in the minority (case in point: this show on the Used Game Trophy's discussion, or before with online game codes that EA was doing to counter Used Games sells) and Wombat is the guy who brings the unpopular opinion of playing devil's advocate to a lot of things happening in the video game world (hating on Double Fine's Kickstarter success) but really just providing that counterpoint. Although he sometimes believes it and is unpopular for it.
* The coverage is phenomenal. When you discuss a game or something going on, you definitely break it down by what would be the popular opinion and unpopular and discuss all angles of it.
* Games are well-discussed. Each one of you can clearly articulate what works/doesn't work in a game and have your opinions on it. It doesn't mean that I always agree, but that would be boring if we all agreed all the time. It just means you have conviction to stick with what you believe and not be swayed by other's opinions.
* Interaction with the community. You guys all constantly respond to things that listeners have to say which is nice. A lot of podcasts don't do this at all nor seem to care but you clearly address issues that don't allow them to remain dormant and listeners to not be heard.
* The show speeds along nicely. There is a lot of ground to cover every week and it stays very organized and relevant when talking about video games. Other things, well, see below...

Cons:
* Poop stories. They just aren't that interesting. I'm not grossed out by them, I just want to get video game news, and video game news this is not.
* Private stories: While I do enjoy hearing about your personal lives, it provides a connection a lot of other shows don't have, they can sometimes run really long, even into the first 30 minutes of the show. I know it's free so I can't really complain, but like I said, it's a video game show and I'm more interested in hearing your opinions on games coming out and news in the world of games. It should still remain, it is interesting to hear about your private lives, but keep it tighter.
* When talking about games or news sometimes it's hard to keep up with the show. I'll admit that I get my video game news from just a few sources, but sometimes you all discuss an event or something that has happened without any proper setup. Perfect example is this episode. I have no clue what Shipwreck is talking about when it comes to the trash-talking at some fighting event. Maybe this is a big deal and all over YouTube, but it would be good if one of you just took 20 seconds to set up whatever the story is and remember that not everyone follows everything in gaming. I may be in the minority here but it does make it hard to follow.
* This has happened in the past and I even posted about it once, which is sometimes when a game comes up as a new release or whatever there would be a time when Shipwreck or Wombat would have played it but Cheapy D's lack of interest in the series or title would simply shout "pass" and the game wouldn't be discussed. I felt that this was unfair to whoever sent the review copy to any of you to get a plug of some sort it's inconsiderate to that game company, but it also doesn't allow even a short discussion on said game. I remember this distinctly happening with Mega Man 10 a while back and has come up from time to time. It is Cheapy D's show so he can do what he wants, but that is my criticism.

Hope that helps and is taken into account in some way. Maybe I'll make this as my first steps into becoming a more active member on the MB, giving feedback to each show. Popular or unpopular, haha.

#41 Kosh

Kosh

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 March 2012 - 04:45 PM

HBO Go: there are some things on there that aren't available On Demand.

Also, Wombat said Game with Thrones. What a complete dumbass.

#42 youruglyclone

youruglyclone

Last Man in Userplane

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 March 2012 - 04:52 PM

Instead of an e3 party how about a cagcast app that works similar to my brother my brother and me's app?

Yeah that hot fritos burritos from taco bell is delicious.

#43 Porksta

Porksta

Sillier Mofo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 March 2012 - 04:53 PM

Constructive Criticism:

I really miss having the outline. I do other stuff while I listen to the CagCast, so I don't always here the games you are talking about. So if yo start to talk about something that catches my ear, I either have to hope you mention the game title again, or I have to rewind the podcast.
I am famous for getting CheapyD to watch Swollen Tip while he was broadcasting live.

#44 quickstraw

quickstraw

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 March 2012 - 05:01 PM

Here is my constructive criticism:

When you start a story about a reality show you have never heard of before, try mentioning the name of the show, so at least the listeners know what you are talking about. You guys went about 3 minutes talking about a show without ever mentioning it's name.

CROSS ASSAULT!

Other than that, loved the show.

#45 kvadair

kvadair

Still Cheap

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 March 2012 - 05:20 PM

My complaint with the podcast is that you guys have never settled on what type of show you are trying to be, and as a result it is hard to consistently enjoy the podcast. I think the podcast is at it's best when you are trying to provide insightful cometary on specific games or trends in the industry. During these segments you genuinely have something different to offer than other video game media, and it complements the shopping focus of the website. However the show then relapses into a three guys talking about their week format which is entertaining, but often becomes a platform for demonstrating your personal biases. Your lack of interest and knowledge in major segments of the industry such as PC gaming, portable gaming, and games that are neither first person nor multiplayer undermines any insight provided. A good solution might be to bring on guests that have interests in these areas periodically or even on a rotating basis.
Getting it free from: PrizeRebel
Spoiler
Bing Rewards
Spoiler

Need to sync files on multiple computers? Try Dropbox.

Posted Image

#46 trent82

trent82

Master Of Unlocking

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 March 2012 - 05:53 PM

- No additional segment bumpers
- Less feces
- The 3DS seems to be doing fairly well. Perhaps Cheapy could try a 3DS game other than the dog simulator.
- Weird Japan stories are always welcome
- It would be good if all 3 hosts always had the latest systems at launch. Cheapy seems to buy everything specifically so he can talk about it on the show. Shipwreck seems to buy everything because he likes to buy everything. And then there is Wombat. No 3DS...no Vita...just got an iOS device. If it is a financial issue, perhaps that unspent E3 party money could be used to keep Wombat current.
3DS Friend Code :: 5112-3434-8624

#47 HeyBeerman

HeyBeerman

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 March 2012 - 06:03 PM

My biggest criticism is not about Wombat, but Cheapy ... Cheapy's passive aggressive anger towards you is quite annoying. I just hope you don't eat off his plate this year!

#48 Chrasilis

Chrasilis

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 March 2012 - 06:19 PM

Okay, let me start off by saying that I love CAG, the hosts and the CAGcast. But since the door has been opened for some constructive criticism, I may as well throw this stuff out there.

First of all, I think the variation is a bit lacking in the more recent episodes. The structure is important and I do understand that, but I really feel that over 1/4 of each episode is spent on drawn out discussions, like, as everyone else has pointed out, the Vita bashing. Or even Skyrim.

As amazing as Skyrim is, did we really need all of that discussion over multiple CAGcasts taking up a huge amount of time?

For that sort of thing, maybe you should start an hour long live discussion block each week. You would free up quite a bit of show time, which could then be used for new segments to keep things fresh.

Second, while the show is definitely funny, I personally would love to see more dedicated comedy segments. I love to laugh; who doesn't?

I love the show as it is, so please do not take this as me saying otherwise. But I truly feel that the show could benefit from the above suggestions, provided you could all find the time to really make those things happen.

Also, welcome to the family, Wombat! iPhones are awesome! ;)

#49 Ravenhood

Ravenhood

Master Completionist

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 March 2012 - 06:19 PM

Constructive criticism segment of the post:

I do enjoy the way the podcast is laid out; I've always enjoyed hearing you three talk about things happening in your lives, hearing stories from people you've talked to and places you've been, listening to things that Tai or Sabrina have done or said... having listened to you guys for years, it's great to hear references back to old shows or stories, or hear updates to things you mentioned before. It makes the show feel very personal, and shows that you actually care to interact with your fans and let them be involved in your lives to some extent.

One thing I think could be changed, though, is the way in which you three occasionally express your opinions. I trust all of your judgments on certain titles that I'd be otherwise unaware of or have few details on, so I like to hear your personal AND professional takes on games or events in the industry. However, hearing certain statements, such as Cheapys' 'it'll probably suck, then' statement to Black Knight Sword simply because it would be a Grasshopper title, tells me nothing about the game or why he believes it would be subpar. If none of the three of you know much about it, then it could be useful to your listeners to look up at least a few basic details about whatever game you're going to mention or ask about. Otherwise, all you're doing is giving what feels like a biased opinion with no given basis on a game that we have heard nothing about from you.

Personal comment segment of the post:

Great to hear some good discussion again; I always love hearing Wombats' questions and comments that keep the conversation going but really make you think about the situation being discussed. Also sad to hear that there's no show next week; normally these podcasts make my week a bit better, so hopefully the next podcast will be extra awesome.

I need to mention Cheapys' whitewash statement about Grasshopper Manufacture in regards to Black Knight Sword. I still know nothing of this game, and it seems like the three of you aren't informed about it as well. However, Cheapys' opinions of Grasshopper really left a bad taste in my mouth from this podcast. Grasshopper has quickly gone from a very niche market company to a company that many people in the mainstream constantly watch for the next title. Both No More Heroes titles, Shadows of the Damned, and Fatal Frame IV (among some of the recent titles) have received very positive reviews from multiple reviewers, and are generally considered to be quality titles by gamers.

Looking forward, both Lollipop Chainsaw and Sine Mora are anticipated titles receiving much more promotion than previous Grasshopper titles, showing that the company is not only more confident that people will invest in their titles, but that they know people will be paying attention. Hearing that Cheapy knows nothing about Black Knight Sword but thinks it'll be bad anyways simply because of the company it's from is extremely non-informative and not at all helpful to those wanting to know more.

Otherwise, good show, as always, and I can't wait for the next one. Funny to see Shipwreck getting the last word in after "bread's done", too! XD

Completed Games

2011 - 61 Retail, 9 Indie, 24 DLC
2012 - 51 Retail, 3 Indie, 25 DLC
2013 - 50 Retail, 5 Indie, 20 DLC

2014 - TBD

#50 thorbahn3

thorbahn3

Everyone talks too much!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 March 2012 - 06:50 PM

My constructive criticism comment for the contest:

Why is midnight in LA too late for CheapyD when he is up at that time in Japan?
Also $80,000 can get any podcast a lot of advertising and help bring in listeners.
My Indie Game:
Spoiler

#51 nateeasy29

nateeasy29

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 March 2012 - 07:01 PM

Wombat is a douchebag

#52 wiz2020

wiz2020

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 March 2012 - 07:30 PM

You guys talked about E3, will any of you be coming to Boston for the Penny Arcade Expo in early April?

#53 SeanAmI

SeanAmI

No you cannot

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 March 2012 - 07:39 PM

Constructive Criticism:

1. No one wants to listen to you describe in detail a salad you ate or any other food you ate, unless it is strange or it causes you to shit yourself while trying to walk 10 ft to the bathroom.

2. Filter out the boring kids stories or at least make them shorter. I understand that kids get sick a lot and do stupid stuff because they don't know any better.

3. Kickstarter to get Wombat better jokes.

#54 trip1eX

trip1eX

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:13 PM

HBOGo is every series on HBO including past series in their entirety on-demand along with the month's selection of movies.

Yes there is some overlap with hbo on-demand from your cable company but only some. Generally your cable company will only have a handful of recent episodes from current series and a rotating handful of episodes from a past series plus maybe half of the featured movies of the month.

And to top it off HBO Go's interface is much better than your cable company on-demand interface.

Also between this and ESPN3 and Netflix then perhaps you don't need a cable box on a second or third tv in your home which can save you the $10/month box rental fee.

Show rocks.

#55 easper

easper

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:29 PM

Constructive criticism:

I'm probably in the minority, but I appreciate the shorter shows. The hour and a half episodes were a good length, but as the 3+ hour Giant Bombcasts stack up on my iPod, I realize that the best way to ensure people listen to the show is to keep it around an hour to hour-and-fifteen-minutes. Shorter shows are also more likely to bring in new listeners.

The show generally has good energy. The banter is what we all love. But nothing kills momentum like ignoring or dismissing what someone has just said. Think about using the "yes and" approach of improv comedy. Tear apart as many multinational corporations as you'd like, but always stay positive with each other.

One more that combines the two previous suggestions: Try to avoid going off on your own with a theory or rabbit hole. Don't dwell on one topic for too long, or else the audience (and your co-hosts) will ignore the good points you've made and just want you to shut up already. It's not an easy balance between snappy and in-depth, but there is a happy medium to be found, where everyone expresses their opinions (which is why we tune in) without stopping the forward momentum of the show.

Fan hat back on, I wouldn't have listened to you every week for the past 7 years (can't believe it's been that long) if I didn't like the show. Keep up the great work, and have fun.

#56 consoleWarisPeace

consoleWarisPeace

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:31 PM

Constructive Criticism:
I've been a long time listener. The podcast is better when it features more of an extended 'what we've been playing' section as opposed to news. By the time the podcast posts news items are usually already run into the ground and covered elsewhere. I enjoy hearing what you guys have been playing and your experiences with the game.This is unique content I can't get anywhere else. If the hosts have not played much one week, maybe the Hype Wagon can get extended to fill that portion.
Instead of traditional news, I think the deals you highlight each week on the podcast are also key and unique to your podcast. Keep those a key focus. Please don't dwell on news items like Kickstarter week after week. Enjoying the show. Keep it up.

#57 USB Cable

USB Cable

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:50 PM

HBOGo is every series on HBO including past series in their entirety on-demand along with the month's selection of movies.

Yes there is some overlap with hbo on-demand from your cable company but only some. Generally your cable company will only have a handful of recent episodes from current series and a rotating handful of episodes from a past series plus maybe half of the featured movies of the month.

And to top it off HBO Go's interface is much better than your cable company on-demand interface.

Also between this and ESPN3 and Netflix then perhaps you don't need a cable box on a second or third tv in your home which can save you the $10/month box rental fee.

Show rocks.

This on HBO Go.... I missed out on a few HBO originals because i was to young to watch it when it aired and i didn't know it existed. I watched all of Oz recently (so much dong... :cry: ) and when the app launches on the 360 I'll be watching the Wire finally. On-demand only shows episodes of the current season so if you missed an episode you can catch up.

I hear lots of people say what's the point of HBO Go when I have a cable box STILL to this day, even the tech savvy. I think HBO needs to do a small ad campaign or something to make people fully understand what HBO Go is about.

Wombat your sexy and it's ok to just give MK to me.... :)
Spoiler

#58 metalmat

metalmat

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:08 PM

Constructive Criticism:

Shipwreck - Return the vita and spend the money on pop rocks and glowsticks
Wombat - Quit dropping the stack soap in the shower
Cheapy D - Throw an "over the hill" party at E3
Who Dat said they gonna beat them Saints?
Posted Image

#59 Hbomb5

Hbomb5

Cross Border Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:19 PM

Or bring in a special guest.
Cross Border Gaming Podcast- http://crossbordergaming.com Discussing the latest games, busting Cheapy's chops, and hating on Jack White. (Blue Orchid sucks!)

Hblog- http://hbombgames.com
The Internet's newest home for gaming news, reviews, commentary, and community.

I am NOT on the glue!

#60 Hbomb5

Hbomb5

Cross Border Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:23 PM

The spirit of the CAG party @E3 with doing something for the fans is cool, but E3 isn't for the fans. Maybe you could do something at either PAX Prime or next year's PAX East (probably too late for anything this year).
Cross Border Gaming Podcast- http://crossbordergaming.com Discussing the latest games, busting Cheapy's chops, and hating on Jack White. (Blue Orchid sucks!)

Hblog- http://hbombgames.com
The Internet's newest home for gaming news, reviews, commentary, and community.

I am NOT on the glue!