Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition - 1600 points

• Please log in to reply
780 replies to this topic

#31 dirtyvu

dirtyvu

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:29 AM

yeah, I wouldn't judge a game based on the initial release either. Otherwise, you'd have to kill Battlefield 3 or World of Warcraft or any other game with rough beginnings. And as they add more servers and align the build toward what the PC has, I'm sure the world will grow as well.

#32 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 08 May 2012 - 01:47 PM

I'd be somewhat surprised if you could play on PC servers ever. I though Xbox was intentionally isolated from the outside world. No? Are there any Xbox games that can play online with PC players? I didn't think there was, but I'd love to be proven wrong.

#33 Broken Cage

Broken Cage

Don't Start Trouble

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:52 PM

I've always been a Terraria player myself. The thing that interests me here is the idea of playing a survival horror style game where I have to find my own resources to survive. If it's even similar to that, I'll pick it up.

Posted ImagePosted Image

I blog about playing video games: www.heavyattack.com

#34 FellOpenIan

FellOpenIan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:13 PM

The first night (or few) are very much about barricading yourself in and surviving.

Once you have a dwelling and some gear it's easier to survive the nights and especially if you sleep through them but it's never fully safe in terms of you getting killed and dropping everything in your inventory.

The small map size and, of course, clever storage placement will negate some of that lost forever fear though.
sudo mklove

#35 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:50 PM

My kids play and love Minecraft and they do find it scary at times. But they are 9 and 11. LOL. No, it is not a horror game. Unless you are scared of pixelated zombies. Or, worse, chickens.

#36 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:02 PM

It's not the look that's scary though. It's the atmosphere. It taps into something very primal that's been buried in our psyche for thousands of years. You're just trying to gather supplies and put a roof over your head before you lose daylight. You have no weapons. All of a sudden you hear this clicking and hissing sound. You can roughly gauge where it's coming from, but you can't tell how far away it is. You dig deeper, hollowing out the side of a mountain, going further into the darkness. It gets louder. You light a torch, just giving you enough light to make out the dim shapes of the tomb surrounding you. You remove one more block and....AHHHHH!!!

See. Atmosphere. :)

#37 FellOpenIan

FellOpenIan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:18 PM

Giant green pixelated penises with faces which explode and ruin my construction efforts are a constant fear for me in both Minecraft and real life.
sudo mklove

#38 Jobbercho

Jobbercho

Do a barrel roll!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:23 PM

I'd be somewhat surprised if you could play on PC servers ever. I though Xbox was intentionally isolated from the outside world. No? Are there any Xbox games that can play online with PC players? I didn't think there was, but I'd love to be proven wrong.

Isn't Windows 8 going to allow that since Xbox Live will be implemented? Or maybe it's just for Games for Windows games. Or the Minecraft/Xbox deal is an exception to that? *shrug*
Posted Image

#39 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:20 PM

Didn't Shadowrun have cross platform play? I never played it, but I could have sworn I remember that being one of their big marketing points.

EDIT - Yup, knew I wasn't crazy. According to Wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia....2007_video_game)

It was the first game to use Games for Windows - Live that allows for Windows users to play with Xbox 360 users.

The fact that Shadowrun was a Microsoft published game makes a big difference though. They were in charge of the entire thing. I don't know how it would work with the existing Minecraft PC servers.

#40 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 09 May 2012 - 12:43 AM

Ah, I didn't realize that. However Minecraft I don't think is a Games for Windows Live game, is it? For one thing you can play it on Macs and you can connect to either's servers. No Live on Macs, unless they are planning a surprise announcement. :)

#41 Kevfactor

Kevfactor

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2012 - 12:46 AM

forgive my ignorance but isn't mice craft mostly a modded user made content game. how would that work ont eh xbox? :)

#42 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 09 May 2012 - 01:22 AM

Mice craft? LOL. It is a user made content game, but that doesn't require mods. You make stuff in game. That's kind of the point. Especially once they add creative mode.

#43 AshesofWake

AshesofWake

chum is fum

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:01 AM

Any word on when this officially is getting released? Should I stay up tonight? haha

#44 Ashwood

Ashwood

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:39 AM

Any word on when this officially is getting released? Should I stay up tonight? haha

Will be live in about 2 hours I reckon.

#45 io

io

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:50 AM

Normally I wouldn't buy anything from XBL for $20, but this is the exception. My son really likes the game and put in a ton of time on the computer and he's a 360 fanboy now so this is a no-brainer. At least I still have a drawer full of 1600 points cards I got on the cheap years ago. So I'm not really paying $20. In fact, with that money long spent I'm really not paying anything at this point.

I might give the game a shot. It seemed pretty pointless and aimless to me from what I saw, but I assume that at least there will be achievments to give it some structure/purpose. That might be the incentive for me to play a while.

And yeah, I know the whole point is to explore and build as you please. That would have been great when I was 12 - in fact, when I was 12 I would have killed for a game as complex and yeah, even graphically awesome, as this. Of course, when I was 12 Pac-Man was the new arcade sensation ;).

#46 AshesofWake

AshesofWake

chum is fum

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:22 AM

bought it even though I have the PC version, so smooth and relaxing. loving it. Too bad my PC is a POS and can't run. This will do. Very nicely "ported"
WHAT A HORRIBLE NIGHT TO HAVE A CURSE

Posted Image

Avatar record spinning: Pelican - Ataraxia/Taraxis EP

#47 Broken Cage

Broken Cage

Don't Start Trouble

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:23 AM

Giant green pixelated penises with faces which explode and ruin my construction efforts are a constant fear for me in both Minecraft and real life.

That made me laugh, a lot.

When I say survival horror I mean the gameplay concept, not that I actually expect to be frightened by Minecraft. I'm simply more interested in the idea of building my own shelter, struggling to find resources, and fighting to survive than just building giant Marios.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#48 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:31 AM

My kids tried to buy it this morning but the price was listed as -1 and said they didn't have enough points. Doh. Did anyone else run into this? I told them to download the demo and we'll try to buy it tonight.

#49 Broken Cage

Broken Cage

Don't Start Trouble

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:35 AM

My kids tried to buy it this morning but the price was listed as -1 and said they didn't have enough points. Doh. Did anyone else run into this? I told them to download the demo and we'll try to buy it tonight.

It's listed as 1600 on my purchase screen.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#50 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:48 AM

I did. Same thing.
Completed Games: 2011 | 2012
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#51 io

io

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:54 AM

I bought it about an hour ago: 1600 points and no problem downloading. I'm going to play it a bit before bed.

#52 Broken Cage

Broken Cage

Don't Start Trouble

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:56 AM

I bought it about an hour ago: 1600 points and no problem downloading. I'm going to play it a bit before bed.

I was also able to purchase it without issue. I unlocked 70 GS in the tutorial area.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#53 io

io

Posted 09 May 2012 - 12:43 PM

I unlocked 70 GS in the tutorial area.

:lol: - Same here just since my last post.

#54 theredworm

theredworm

I am The Red Worm!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2012 - 02:03 PM

bestbuy.com has it for for $15

with $5 in rewardzone I paid $10

Look, there's no easy way to ask this so I'm just gonna do it...

Does anyone want to be gay lovers with me in Fable 3?

my Mass Effect 3 N7 HQ

#55 cin84_12

cin84_12

Posted 09 May 2012 - 02:41 PM

Just wondering if there actually is an Xbox Live multiplayer option in the full game. I don't see it in the trial and I want to know it's there before wasting my points.

#56 Broken Cage

Broken Cage

Don't Start Trouble

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2012 - 04:11 PM

Just wondering if there actually is an Xbox Live multiplayer option in the full game. I don't see it in the trial and I want to know it's there before wasting my points.

There's an "invite only" option when you create a new game. There's also an area to join friends worlds. Unfortunately, as far as I know, there's no way to join random users games, only people who are on your friend's list.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#57 FellOpenIan

FellOpenIan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:55 PM

Map size aside, 4J Studios did a great job with the port. (as per usual)

I played the tutorial, experienced the UI/control changes, and instantly took advantage of the $15 Best Buy deal.

As for updates:

We're aiming to update to the major PC releases - first one will be the equivalent of the PC Beta 1.7.3 version

First version on Xbox is equivalent to Beta 1.6.6 on PC. Creative mode will be added in an Xbox update later

A few things that are rubbing me the wrong way are how they've been dodging the small map size/invisible walls issue and also how splitscreen play isn't available to SD players. (especially given how kid-friendly Minecraft is...anyone playing in SD is already having a worse experience so there's no need to pile-on)
sudo mklove

#58 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 09 May 2012 - 06:52 PM

I guess they didn't feel the game looked right on an SD screen when played splitscreen. Maybe they'll figure out a way to do it in a future update, though.

#59 dirtyvu

dirtyvu

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:00 PM

There's an "invite only" option when you create a new game. There's also an area to join friends worlds. Unfortunately, as far as I know, there's no way to join random users games, only people who are on your friend's list.

well... guess it's time for spring cleaning of the friends list and adding new friends...

#60 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:34 PM

This game is scary as shit. I played through the tutorial and finished up my house for my first night. I put a few windows in so I could see around, but I kept hearing weird noises that I couldn't figure out where they came from. When the morning came, I opened the door to see if the coast was clear and three giant spiders were on top of my house and leapt onto me. I managed to fight them off with the meager tools that I had left, but I only had two hearts left and saw another giant spider on top of the tutorial area's exit that makes me not want to leave my house ever again. I may just start a new game and get a better start away from the spiders' nest.

The tutorial is pretty good, though there were some snags where I wasn't really sure what it wanted me to do since the text box changes constantly and doesn't focus on the task at hand.