Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition - 1600 points

Kinect support is supposedly not going to be in at release, but will come in an update. At least that's the last thing I read. I doubt it was ever going to be a retail release.

[quote name='crunchewy']Kinect support is supposedly not going to be in at release, but will come in an update. At least that's the last thing I read. I doubt it was ever going to be a retail release.[/QUOTE]

Good. That gives me time to figure out how to not jump on my couch like a little girl as my Kinect snaps a picture when a Creeper pops up out of nowhere.

[quote name='benjamouth']$20 seems like a lot, that price puts me off if I'm honest.[/QUOTE]

Good thing you didn't buy it on pc then. Costs cheaper on Xbox.

[quote name='infamy']Good thing you didn't buy it on pc then. Costs cheaper on Xbox.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I guess, I keep thinking back to the people that paid $10 or whatever during the alpha, but yes it is $27 if you want to buy it now.

For me Minecraft is a "would be fun to try for a bit" game, not something I see myself putting a lot of time into, thus 1600 points is too much.

My kids absolutely *love* Minecraft and have put a lot of time into the Mac version. They are excited about the 360 version. I like that it has splitscreen multiplayer as now they'll be able to play together. What's unclear to me is how many players it allows that way. If it allows up to 4, it would be fun to play it with them - that'd make 3 of us.

I'm looking forward to finally jumping on the Minecraft bandwagon. 1600 points is cheaper than the PC version and it'll be nice to have a pleasant and creative diversion to blowing things up and saving the planet.

it might be cheaper on xbox, but the controls might be much easier to use on the PC...so for a few extra bucks, ease of use trumps a small savings.

[quote name='100xp']it might be cheaper on xbox, but the controls might be much easier to use on the PC...so for a few extra bucks, ease of use trumps a small savings.[/QUOTE]

Not really all that fussed about priced, just like playing my games on the couch as opposed to using my piece of shit laptop.

[quote name='Ashwood']Not really all that fussed about priced, just like playing my games on the couch as opposed to using my piece of shit laptop.[/QUOTE]

you know...if you have a laptop you can play on the couch too.

[quote name='100xp']you know...if you have a laptop you can play on the couch too.[/QUOTE]

Right, but he said it's a piece of shit. LOL.

It's hard to say how well this game will play on a console, but given how well Plants vs. Zombies translated, and I didn't think it would, maybe these folks have nailed the controls as well. Only one way to find out....

Also, split screen. My kids will be able to play it together. If it supports up to 4 players (do we know?) then I'll play it with them too. That would be fun.

[quote name='crunchewy']Right, but he said it's a piece of shit. LOL.

It's hard to say how well this game will play on a console, but given how well Plants vs. Zombies translated, and I didn't think it would, maybe these folks have nailed the controls as well. Only one way to find out....

Also, split screen. My kids will be able to play it together. If it supports up to 4 players (do we know?) then I'll play it with them too. That would be fun.[/QUOTE]

tru dat.

I wasn't a fan of PvZ on the console, though imo the tablet was the best version...touch controls just made it a lot more fun.

It's not the play but the building of minecraft that I was commenting on, Forge for Reach while an awesome tool probably would have been much easier and quicker to build some of the incredible maps and creations posted. im sure it's fun on the console as I prefer console for some games over pc controls.

I wonder if the all future versions argument is going to pop back up again. (I forget the exact wording but I remember a slight dust-up coming from alpha purchasers)

From what I've read, but I'm not sure how recent it is, this will *not* have creative mode at launch. Which might just be a deal killer for my kids. Only one of them likes the survival mode, and both like creative mode. It's supposed to come in a later update, but who knows when that will be.

[quote name='dirtyvu']no.[/QUOTE]

Everything I read says....
The Xbox 360 version of Minecraft will include Kinect support and cross-platform play with the PC copy
... so yes?

Either way, I have it for PC, and i'm in for 360 as well. While the control will obviously be better on PC, the new interface and community on live makes it a buy for me. Most of my 360 friends never played MC at all so it should be plenty of fun.

I tried the PC version of this "game" and didn't get it. I'll try the 360 version, but I highly doubt I'll be picking it up. Especially since it is a $20 game. Maybe if it was $5 I'd pick it up.

[quote name='Hoffer']I tried the PC version of this "game" and didn't get it. I'll try the 360 version, but I highly doubt I'll be picking it up. Especially since it is a $20 game. Maybe if it was $5 I'd pick it up.[/QUOTE]
What's to get? You build shit.

[quote name='crunchewy']From what I've read, but I'm not sure how recent it is, this will *not* have creative mode at launch. Which might just be a deal killer for my kids. Only one of them likes the survival mode, and both like creative mode. It's supposed to come in a later update, but who knows when that will be.[/QUOTE]

After a lot of reading I find the whole update thing for Minecraft 360 to be pretty odd.

They said that Microsoft will only add an update 2 months after it's submitted or something, but their finally breaking their ties to that for the 1st time and will accept updates as they come just like the PC versions. So it might not take TOO long. Who knows though.

I wonder how it's going to handle player skins.

Regarding world size, apparently others found the world took hours to travel across, so the info is inconsistent. And I believe not a final build. Maybe the final version will be small - we will find out soon enough.

[quote name='crunchewy']Regarding world size, apparently others found the world took hours to travel across, so the info is inconsistent. And I believe not a final build. Maybe the final version will be small - we will find out soon enough.[/QUOTE]

I have a feeling there will be a size increase on every update till the cross platforming with PC hits. For obvious reasons.

Thankfully it's still bigger than Total Miner.

yeah, I wouldn't judge a game based on the initial release either. Otherwise, you'd have to kill Battlefield 3 or World of Warcraft or any other game with rough beginnings. And as they add more servers and align the build toward what the PC has, I'm sure the world will grow as well.

I'd be somewhat surprised if you could play on PC servers ever. I though Xbox was intentionally isolated from the outside world. No? Are there any Xbox games that can play online with PC players? I didn't think there was, but I'd love to be proven wrong.

I've always been a Terraria player myself. The thing that interests me here is the idea of playing a survival horror style game where I have to find my own resources to survive. If it's even similar to that, I'll pick it up.

The first night (or few) are very much about barricading yourself in and surviving.

Once you have a dwelling and some gear it's easier to survive the nights and especially if you sleep through them but it's never fully safe in terms of you getting killed and dropping everything in your inventory.

The small map size and, of course, clever storage placement will negate some of that lost forever fear though.

My kids play and love Minecraft and they do find it scary at times. But they are 9 and 11. LOL. No, it is not a horror game. Unless you are scared of pixelated zombies. Or, worse, chickens.

It's not the look that's scary though. It's the atmosphere. It taps into something very primal that's been buried in our psyche for thousands of years. You're just trying to gather supplies and put a roof over your head before you lose daylight. You have no weapons. All of a sudden you hear this clicking and hissing sound. You can roughly gauge where it's coming from, but you can't tell how far away it is. You dig deeper, hollowing out the side of a mountain, going further into the darkness. It gets louder. You light a torch, just giving you enough light to make out the dim shapes of the tomb surrounding you. You remove one more block and....AHHHHH!!!

See. Atmosphere. :)

Giant green pixelated penises with faces which explode and ruin my construction efforts are a constant fear for me in both Minecraft and real life.

Didn't Shadowrun have cross platform play? I never played it, but I could have sworn I remember that being one of their big marketing points.

EDIT - Yup, knew I wasn't crazy. According to Wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadowrun_(2007_video_game)
It was the first game to use Games for Windows - Live that allows for Windows users to play with Xbox 360 users.

The fact that Shadowrun was a Microsoft published game makes a big difference though. They were in charge of the entire thing. I don't know how it would work with the existing Minecraft PC servers.

Ah, I didn't realize that. However Minecraft I don't think is a Games for Windows Live game, is it? For one thing you can play it on Macs and you can connect to either's servers. No Live on Macs, unless they are planning a surprise announcement. :)

forgive my ignorance but isn't mice craft mostly a modded user made content game. how would that work ont eh xbox? :)

Mice craft? LOL. It is a user made content game, but that doesn't require mods. You make stuff in game. That's kind of the point. Especially once they add creative mode.

[quote name='AshesofWake']Any word on when this officially is getting released? Should I stay up tonight? haha[/QUOTE]

Will be live in about 2 hours I reckon.

Normally I wouldn't buy anything from XBL for $20, but this is the exception. My son really likes the game and put in a ton of time on the computer and he's a 360 fanboy now so this is a no-brainer. At least I still have a drawer full of 1600 points cards I got on the cheap years ago. So I'm not really paying $20. In fact, with that money long spent I'm really not paying anything at this point.

I might give the game a shot. It seemed pretty pointless and aimless to me from what I saw, but I assume that at least there will be achievments to give it some structure/purpose. That might be the incentive for me to play a while.

And yeah, I know the whole point is to explore and build as you please. That would have been great when I was 12 - in fact, when I was 12 I would have killed for a game as complex and yeah, even graphically awesome, as this. Of course, when I was 12 Pac-Man was the new arcade sensation ;).

bought it even though I have the PC version, so smooth and relaxing. loving it. Too bad my PC is a POS and can't run. This will do. Very nicely "ported"

[quote name='Fell Open Ian']Giant green pixelated penises with faces which explode and ruin my construction efforts are a constant fear for me in both Minecraft and real life.[/QUOTE]

That made me laugh, a lot.

When I say survival horror I mean the gameplay concept, not that I actually expect to be frightened by Minecraft. I'm simply more interested in the idea of building my own shelter, struggling to find resources, and fighting to survive than just building giant Marios.

My kids tried to buy it this morning but the price was listed as -1 and said they didn't have enough points. Doh. Did anyone else run into this? I told them to download the demo and we'll try to buy it tonight.

[quote name='crunchewy']My kids tried to buy it this morning but the price was listed as -1 and said they didn't have enough points. Doh. Did anyone else run into this? I told them to download the demo and we'll try to buy it tonight.[/QUOTE]

It's listed as 1600 on my purchase screen.

[quote name='crunchewy']My kids tried to buy it this morning but the price was listed as -1 and said they didn't have enough points. Doh. Did anyone else run into this? I told them to download the demo and we'll try to buy it tonight.[/QUOTE]

I did. Same thing.

bread's done
Back