Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition - 1600 points

I bought it about an hour ago: 1600 points and no problem downloading. I'm going to play it a bit before bed.

[quote name='io']I bought it about an hour ago: 1600 points and no problem downloading. I'm going to play it a bit before bed.[/QUOTE]

I was also able to purchase it without issue. I unlocked 70 GS in the tutorial area.

[quote name='Broken Cage']I unlocked 70 GS in the tutorial area.[/QUOTE]

:lol: - Same here just since my last post.

Just wondering if there actually is an Xbox Live multiplayer option in the full game. I don't see it in the trial and I want to know it's there before wasting my points.

[quote name='cin84_12']Just wondering if there actually is an Xbox Live multiplayer option in the full game. I don't see it in the trial and I want to know it's there before wasting my points.[/QUOTE]

There's an "invite only" option when you create a new game. There's also an area to join friends worlds. Unfortunately, as far as I know, there's no way to join random users games, only people who are on your friend's list.

Map size aside, 4J Studios did a great job with the port. (as per usual)

I played the tutorial, experienced the UI/control changes, and instantly took advantage of the $15 Best Buy deal.

As for updates:
We're aiming to update to the major PC releases - first one will be the equivalent of the PC Beta 1.7.3 version
First version on Xbox is equivalent to Beta 1.6.6 on PC. Creative mode will be added in an Xbox update later
A few things that are rubbing me the wrong way are how they've been dodging the small map size/invisible walls issue and also how splitscreen play isn't available to SD players. (especially given how kid-friendly Minecraft is...anyone playing in SD is already having a worse experience so there's no need to pile-on)

I guess they didn't feel the game looked right on an SD screen when played splitscreen. Maybe they'll figure out a way to do it in a future update, though.

[quote name='Broken Cage']There's an "invite only" option when you create a new game. There's also an area to join friends worlds. Unfortunately, as far as I know, there's no way to join random users games, only people who are on your friend's list.[/QUOTE]

well... guess it's time for spring cleaning of the friends list and adding new friends...

This game is scary as shit. I played through the tutorial and finished up my house for my first night. I put a few windows in so I could see around, but I kept hearing weird noises that I couldn't figure out where they came from. When the morning came, I opened the door to see if the coast was clear and three giant spiders were on top of my house and leapt onto me. I managed to fight them off with the meager tools that I had left, but I only had two hearts left and saw another giant spider on top of the tutorial area's exit that makes me not want to leave my house ever again. I may just start a new game and get a better start away from the spiders' nest.

The tutorial is pretty good, though there were some snags where I wasn't really sure what it wanted me to do since the text box changes constantly and doesn't focus on the task at hand.

Hmm...I'm on a Silver account (Cheap Ass 'til I die) and I can totally post screenshots to Facebook. (Start then Y)

Not sure if that's intended or not.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']This game is scary as shit. I played through the tutorial and finished up my house for my first night. I put a few windows in so I could see around, but I kept hearing weird noises that I couldn't figure out where they came from. When the morning came, I opened the door to see if the coast was clear and three giant spiders were on top of my house and leapt onto me. I managed to fight them off with the meager tools that I had left, but I only had two hearts left and saw another giant spider on top of the tutorial area's exit that makes me not want to leave my house ever again. I may just start a new game and get a better start away from the spiders' nest.

The tutorial is pretty good, though there were some snags where I wasn't really sure what it wanted me to do since the text box changes constantly and doesn't focus on the task at hand.[/QUOTE]

See now I was all disappointed because the hyped-up baddies that I was supposed to see at night just never showed. I built my house, put in lots of windows, and was messing around with the furnace and crafting table and checking periodically for baddies. I even went outside a few times. All I ever saw were the farm animals and ducks and such.

But I agree about the tutorial - it was a little confusing when the text box kept changing.

[quote name='io']See now I was all disappointed because the hyped-up baddies that I was supposed to see at night just never showed. I built my house, put in lots of windows, and was messing around with the furnace and crafting table and checking periodically for baddies. I even went outside a few times. All I ever saw were the farm animals and ducks and such.

But I agree about the tutorial - it was a little confusing when the text box kept changing.[/QUOTE]

You don't have it set to peaceful, do you? Go chop some trees in the dark and you'll see some monsters.

This version is pretty good so far. It does have the same issue as the PC one where it will spawn me above my mine if I'm way underground. I've found a lot more diamond than I ever have in the PC one.

I've never played Minecraft or other similar games ever before. It's not really a genre I've ever been interested in.

But the game seems pretty cool. I may actually buy it. And the idea of building a world with your friends just seems so cool.

What are the odds that this goes on sale before the holidays?

I gasped when I bought Trials Evolution at full price at $15. And this at $20 just seems crazy. I know how popular Minecraft is and everything. And I know how great of a game it is. It's just that it seems hard to fork over $20 for a sandbox game.

I don't know guys...I feel like this version is a bit dumbed down in addition to be gimped in a lot of ways regardless of map size. There are some things you can't make right now, like Shears, Windows, etc. It feels like this version has a lot of items missing. And since I can see every single item I can make I know I can't make those.

It's a fun game, but it's missing something. Also, limited resources is going to be a problem going forward. If the map sizes don't increase, they're going to have to slow down or remove the rate of item degredation since there are a finite amount of metal veins in the map.

any beginners want to add friends? I'm a total n00b to the genre and would like to start off with other n00bs.

I haven't bought the game yet (still deciding) but maybe we can start a list of new gamers to Minecraft.

If it turns out they're going to allow people to join public worlds, then all of this is a moot point, but if it remains restricted to friends, time to add friends!

Does anybody know if you can change what your character looks like in this version? I know it's not a big deal, but I've got my wife playing, and she switched to 3rd person and noticed that she's a black dude, lol. Just curious if they included any option for that.

im loving it way too much. This is bad, I'm barely through half of Skyrim and im more addicted to this. haha. It's just simple fun. And plus knowing they'll continue to add stuff. da best.

[quote name='cin84_12']You don't have it set to peaceful, do you? Go chop some trees in the dark and you'll see some monsters.
[/QUOTE]

I started it up and went right to the Tutorial and at the end it told me to get inside before monsters came out. I assume it is in "normal" mode but I never checked.

I managed to combat my fear of having baddies all around my house when it turns to day, as I built my house on top of a mini-mountain in the middle of a lake that was nearby where I started in my new world. I built a platform of dirt across the top, which can float freely if I can mine out all of the stuff below it. So I'm going to do that with a column along the edge with a ladder on it so I can get back up easily without anything else being able to reach me. Then I'll start exploring around..

I thought the Minecraft sign wasnt quite enough to remind me of where my first house was:

I think I need to get some graph paper to try and figure out a better looking way to do it. Its pretty crappy looking but it was something I just threw together.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Does anybody know if you can change what your character looks like in this version? I know it's not a big deal, but I've got my wife playing, and she switched to 3rd person and noticed that she's a black dude, lol. Just curious if they included any option for that.[/QUOTE]

Future update will have different skins.

Till then you can make a helmet? Or jam a pumpkin on your head. :lol:

Ug...my nephew just called and asked me why he can't play splitscreen with his friend. (SD set):cry:

So fucking dumb.:wall: They need to at least allow 2 player splitscreen on SD sets or, ya know, actually warn people before they buy it.

I was doubtful about this game but I've got to say it's pretty awesome, time flies by when you're playing it.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='n8rockerasu']I've got my wife playing, and she switched to 3rd person and noticed that she's a black dude, lol.[/QUOTE]

What's wrong with being a black dude?!? :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

[quote name='Fell Open Ian']Ug...my nephew just called and asked me why he can't play splitscreen with his friend. (SD set):cry:

So fucking dumb.:wall: They need to at least allow 2 player splitscreen on SD sets or, ya know, actually warn people before they buy it.[/QUOTE]

use a PC monitor. that's what I use when in a pinch. and if the PC monitor is VGA, get the VGA cable (official Microsoft one of course because the fake VGA cables have ghosting). If the PC monitor is HDMI, get a $2 HDMI cable. If the PC monitor is DVI, get a $2 DVI to HDMI cable with a $3 audio adapter...

Here's my bedroom setup. 23" monitor has dual inputs so one is going to the 360 and the other is going to the PC under the desk. Of course, it sucks if I want to use the PC and the 360 at the same time. But in that case, I can use the 360 in the family room hooked to the 65".

2br5sp.jpg

I lasted 22 minutes on Hard Mode in my first world. I survived my first night in a cave with no door by building a bed and rushing to sleep. Then in the morning I killed a spider, went to chop down a tree, and got instantly killed by something exploding behind me.

I'm playing on Normal now.

[quote name='Blade3D']What's wrong with being a black dude?!? :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:[/QUOTE]

Well, fortunately, my wife has never been one....and I don't think she wants to start now, lol.

I thought that they were going to allow us to use our avatars as skin instead of the default steve skin. Would be cool if they let us join pc servers and play with pc people.

Here's my floating fortress:

AsgK6fBCAAAW6mg.jpg

I'm not sure how sheep and cows can somehow get up there occasionally. I started exploring and built a new house on that gigantic mountain behind the trees in front of the floating house. You can see a tree on top of it just above that cloud, which are annoying to constantly run into up there since they make it hard to see what's going on.

[quote name='crunchewy']

Also, split screen. My kids will be able to play it together. If it supports up to 4 players (do we know?) then I'll play it with them too. That would be fun.[/QUOTE]

I just watched a trailer for the mp features, and yes, up to 4 player split screen is possible. Sounds like you and your kids will be having some fun together. :cool:

[quote name='yohsh']I thought that they were going to allow us to use our avatars as skin instead of the default steve skin. Would be cool if they let us join pc servers and play with pc people.[/QUOTE]

My guess is they wont do the PC Server thing as it could cause people to start introducing hacked items into the 360 world.

Augh! I decided to sleep in a castle, got woken up by a monster and killed almost instantly- where the heck was the bastard hiding?!?

That sucked.

[quote name='teknikalei']Augh! I decided to sleep in a castle, got woken up by a monster and killed almost instantly- where the heck was the bastard hiding?!?

That sucked.[/QUOTE]

I think that's a bug and we ran into it too. They aren't supposed to spawn in well lit areas, but my son tells me that in earlier versions there was a bug where if there is an area adjacent in which they can spawn, then they can end up spawning in the well lit area. One one save we keep getting woken up and attacked and killed because he lost his stuff by dying somewhere else, and in this particular house the monsters keep spawning. Hopefully they get us to a newer version soon.

Also it seems a little buggy playing 4 player splitscreen. They were playing with some friends yesterday and found that sometimes the craft menu didn't respond to button presses. Anyone else found that to be the case in 4 player splistscreen?

The game is fun, though. I just hope they live up to their promise of frequent updates.

Oh, and the game looks way better on our Xbox/HDTV then it does on our computer, so that's a bonus.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Here's my floating fortress:

AsgK6fBCAAAW6mg.jpg

I'm not sure how sheep and cows can somehow get up there occasionally. I started exploring and built a new house on that gigantic mountain behind the trees in front of the floating house. You can see a tree on top of it just above that cloud, which are annoying to constantly run into up there since they make it hard to see what's going on.[/QUOTE]

I have a similar beach in my world, so I'm stealing your location idea. I'm not going with an elevated fortress, though. I want to make a sandstone castle in the middle of the water, with a trapdoor that leads down to a glass enclosure. I'll post some screens of work in progress tonight.

[quote name='crunchewy']I think that's a bug and we ran into it too. They aren't supposed to spawn in well lit areas, but my son tells me that in earlier versions there was a bug where if there is an area adjacent in which they can spawn, then they can end up spawning in the well lit area. [/QUOTE]

So I shouldn't be getting blown up by creepers during the day? Well now I feel better about dying so quickly.

[quote name='Broken Cage']So I shouldn't be getting blown up by creepers during the day? Well now I feel better about dying so quickly.[/QUOTE]

They can hang around in daylight a little while, but I think they'll burn up if they are out in light too long. They aren't supposed to *spawn* in well lit areas. However they could spawn in a dark cave and come out into daylight.

According to Notch the sales of the Xbox version are "very, very good". Profitable in one hour:

Well then. Saw the official sales numbers for the first 24 hours of Minecraft Xbox 360, and it's very, very good. Profitable in an hour.

Which is good, because hopefully they'll then see the need to get the thing updated regularly.

Apparently Microsoft is going to have a press release about it.

I hope they update soon. I want shears, animal breeding, and potion making. I have a little farm with wheat and it seems to take a lot longer to grow.

I found my first dungeon last night. No monster spawner, but there was a chest with iron, buckets, and some cocoa beans.

[quote name='crunchewy']According to Notch the sales of the Xbox version are "very, very good". Profitable in one hour:

Which is good, because hopefully they'll then see the need to get the thing updated regularly.

Apparently Microsoft is going to have a press release about it.[/QUOTE]
The leaderboards put them at about 200k when I quit last night at about 2 AM ET, which should make it the top-grossing day one launch on XBLA over Trials Evolution's 100k at $15 a head.

I built a small house outside a waterfall, and later discovered that the squid liked to come out from the top of the falls.... and float past the house. The problem was that for some reason I couldn't kill them. A couple hits with a weapon would instantly break the sword or axe. I started over. lol

s5zall.jpg

bread's done
Back