Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition - 1600 points

Just an update on my frozen game. Looks like the progress was not saved at all even when there was the autosave thingy flashing up top. so again save often guys :(

The 360 version makes it easy to save before you dick around and then quit-out/quit-to-dash if things go sideways. Not exactly in keeping with the nature of the game but I guess you can always alt+F4 or whatever on PC too. (the new client and server merging might change that a bit though)

The autosave storage box icon indicates that it's saving your inventory rather than the world. That makes total sense in multiplayer for non-hosts but it definitely should have been outlined more clearly. (kinda bullshit really for single-player/local people)

I have been trying to play online today and seem to be encountering a glitch. I will join a friends world and only a small circular area will spawn (Around 150 blocks long), the rest will be blue emptiness and once you fall off the edge you will keep falling until you exit.
Has anyone else had this problem? Ideas on how to fix it?

That sounds like lag. The last time I saw it it was blackness, you could see through the world, and blocks would disappear/reappear while mining/placing. (PC version mind you and it was some time ago in beta)

[quote name='Fell Open Ian']The 360 version makes it easy to save before you dick around and then quit-out/quit-to-dash if things go sideways. Not exactly in keeping with the nature of the game but I guess you can always alt+F4 or whatever on PC too. (the new client and server merging might change that a bit though)

The autosave storage box icon indicates that it's saving your inventory rather than the world. That makes total sense in multiplayer for non-hosts but it definitely should have been outlined more clearly. (kinda bullshit really for single-player/local people)[/QUOTE]

Before it froze on me when I forgot to save. I've had it freeze on me twice while saving and it didn't save anything. Sigh. It's ok its one of those games where I don't mind playing from scratch over and over haha.

I've played the demo for about 6 hours (really enjoyed it) and I got points to buy it, but I don't know if I will for a while. I just don't know if it will hold my attention long.

Is there any story mode or anything? Or is it all open sandbox, do what you want, no missions/story, building fun-time?

Well Adventure Updates have been applied to the PC version which brought about things like experience, villages and dungeons but the long-fabled Adventure Mode has yet to see the light of day.

So even the latest snapshot on PC is still a do what you want sandbox without typical game elements/structure like missions and story.

Well I finally found some wolves in my game, but still nothing doing for sugar cane. I even started a new world and couldn't find any there either. I just want caaaakeeeeeeee.

I got lucky; found a couple of sugarcanes across a body of water, but visible from where I initially spawned. I just figured out all the farming stuff yesterday. There's a lot to do in this game.

[quote name='Fell Open Ian']Well Adventure Updates have been applied to the PC version which brought about things like experience, villages and dungeons but the long-fabled Adventure Mode has yet to see the light of day.

So even the latest snapshot on PC is still a do what you want sandbox without typical game elements/structure like missions and story.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I'm still on the fence. I'll have to see if my brother digs it so we can play together. Or my girlfriend.

I set up this Water/Lava room underground and really liked it, so i decided to set up a Water/Lava mote for around my house. Spent hours landscaping the area, put the water on one side, loved the way it looked. Stared to put lava on the other it was working great, went to get more lava and when i turned around half my house was gone/on fire!:hot:

[quote name='macontosh2000']I set up this Water/Lava room underground and really liked it, so i decided to set up a Water/Lava mote for around my house. Spent hours landscaping the area, put the water on one side, loved the way it looked. Stared to put lava on the other it was working great, went to get more lava and when i turned around half my house was gone/on fire!:hot:[/QUOTE]

Ah, that sucks, dude, haha. Nothing could ever top this guy though. I laugh no matter how many times I watch this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnjSWPxJxNs

Speaking of water and lava, what does it take to mine obsidian? I was trying to avoid the remaining lava and couldn't read the text box that popped up. Apparently an iron pickaxe isn't good enough.

[quote name='Ziv']Speaking of water and lava, what does it take to mine obsidian? I was trying to avoid the remaining lava and couldn't read the text box that popped up. Apparently an iron pickaxe isn't good enough.[/QUOTE]

It takes 10 seconds to mine with a diamond pickaxe, and about 4 minutes with any other pickaxe

I'm slowly working on building a castle, though not having an exact design in my head means that I'm wasting a lot of materials (stone) that take a while to make in the process of perfecting it. I've got one tower done with another that has to be reworked a bit before it's ready while I'm also working on the bridge between the two. Then I can work on the other two towers, which have a lot of real estate in the way for the courtyard. I'll post pictures once I get the chance.

It's a real dick move that stone is mined into cobblestone unlike most other materials in the game.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']It's a real dick move that stone is mined into cobblestone unlike most other materials in the game.[/QUOTE]

Just fire it in your furnace with some coal and you have stone again.

I haven't expanded my house too much yet. I've just been focusing on mining and building up my resources. After finding a nearby cave and digging straight down to the bedrock to do some branch mining, I started putting together my first rail system, starting at my house and finishing in one of the branch tunnels. It's pretty freaking awesome riding that thing all the way down. After finding some gold, I started placing some powered rails in it, but I don't have enough juice to ride it back up to my house yet (incline is pretty steep, haha). It's going to be sick when I get it finished though.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Just fire it in your furnace with some coal and you have stone again.[/QUOTE]
I know how to make stone, but that doesn't mean it's not annoying to make mistakes with it and have to do the same process all over again.

so after you build a house...what else can you do by yourself?

I heard there are treasures and such, but so far all I've done (for 5 hours...) is make a pretty complex house in a mountain.

Never played this game before!

I just had my most productive mining session in this game so far. Found plenty of iron, coal, redstone. Even found some gold, lapis lazuli and diamond.

After some wandering and eventually dining my way back home, I saved and quit. After it said it saved and it was exiting he game, it hard locked my 360. I'll be pissed if it didn't save. I don't even want to turn it back on right now. I'll find out tomorrow.

I did figure out one thing. When exploring a mine, I've stared placing torches only on the right side of the tunnels. That way, if I get lost, I can follow torches back out the way I came.

I don't know how widely known this is, but if you press in the right analog stick, you'll go into stealth mode that will keep you from falling off of edges. So if you're doing elaborate builds and keep falling off, that will be a big help along with letting you hang off of the edge a bit to help expand platforms more easily than you could without using it.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I know how to make stone, but that doesn't mean it's not annoying to make mistakes with it and have to do the same process all over again.[/QUOTE]

Make it out of sandstone. Not only would that be like 10x cooler looking, you can break it back up with no problem (as you know). But I think a sandstone castle would look pretty damn nice. I restarted my game and got a world with a fair amount of desert and normal areas, and a few big mountains. I had a mountain with an overhang at the top and built my house up there almost entirely with glass. I was thinking of making a pyramid in the valley below next and maybe putting a treasure room in there ;).

This world also had some jack-o-lanterns so those are decorating my house. I wish you could move the cactus and replant them but I think all they are used for is to make green dye.

I have to figure out the planting/harvesting part but I'm nowhere near water and I think you need to plant near that right? I do have some seeds I got from who knows where.

[quote name='GizmoGC']so after you build a house...what else can you do by yourself?

I heard there are treasures and such, but so far all I've done (for 5 hours...) is make a pretty complex house in a mountain.

Never played this game before![/QUOTE]

Yeah, what you might want to do is build a mine shaft from the inside of your house (or just outside). Just stair-step it down at 45 degrees until you hit a cavern or just find iron, diamonds, lapis lazuli, etc... That is what I was going to do tonight. My son helped me make a bunch of obsidian and now I need a diamond pickaxe to harvest it.

I was also thinking of doing the lava thing around the side of my house. My son managed to do it in his game tonight without setting anything on fire except a few trees.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I don't know how widely known this is, but if you press in the right analog stick, you'll go into stealth mode that will keep you from falling off of edges. So if you're doing elaborate builds and keep falling off, that will be a big help along with letting you hang off of the edge a bit to help expand platforms more easily than you could without using it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, this is one of those things my son showed me. He is a fountain of knowledge about this game. He has been playing the PC version for a while. Not that this exact mechanic would be in that - but he reads alot about the game too so he knew about it.

This is going to sound stupid, but I'll build my first little house, out of the side of a mountain, and when I go to bed at night, I keep getting attacked by shit. I finally locked myself in a 2x1x2 room with the bed and was able to sleep, but I dont want to continue to have to do that. Any help?

Is there a way to 'combine' a ladder and trapdoor? Like, I want to have a ladder leading onto my roof but I also want to be able to close the hole to keep spiders out. Is there some trick to it or can you just not do this?

[quote name='advanced']This is going to sound stupid, but I'll build my first little house, out of the side of a mountain, and when I go to bed at night, I keep getting attacked by shit. I finally locked myself in a 2x1x2 room with the bed and was able to sleep, but I dont want to continue to have to do that. Any help?[/QUOTE]

I think it has to be all stone (or at least, no dirt).

[quote name='io']Make it out of sandstone. Not only would that be like 10x cooler looking, you can break it back up with no problem (as you know). But I think a sandstone castle would look pretty damn nice. I restarted my game and got a world with a fair amount of desert and normal areas, and a few big mountains. I had a mountain with an overhang at the top and built my house up there almost entirely with glass. I was thinking of making a pyramid in the valley below next and maybe putting a treasure room in there ;).

This world also had some jack-o-lanterns so those are decorating my house. I wish you could move the cactus and replant them but I think all they are used for is to make green dye.

I have to figure out the planting/harvesting part but I'm nowhere near water and I think you need to plant near that right? I do have some seeds I got from who knows where.[/quote]
I'm too far along to make that kind of switch now, though maybe I'll keep that in mind for a future build once I get enough of it. I'm nearly done with the wall between the two towers, so I just need to figure out how far the other two towers will be to start that part of the project. The courtyard should be over this known monster cave, so I'll mine through that once it's all done.

I abandoned my mountain house because it's right above a few monster-spawning caves and it's also at the right height for clouds to pass through that makes it really annoying to do anything there. I also made a supplies trip to my floating house to find out that I left the door open with a creeper running around there. I managed to snipe it from above my house with my bow so it didn't blow it up.

The jack-o-lanterns are far too creepy for me to use. Have you tried putting one on your head?

[quote name='advanced']This is going to sound stupid, but I'll build my first little house, out of the side of a mountain, and when I go to bed at night, I keep getting attacked by shit. I finally locked myself in a 2x1x2 room with the bed and was able to sleep, but I dont want to continue to have to do that. Any help?[/QUOTE]

That's a bug and it's pretty annoying. Mobs shouldn't be spawning in your house if well lit. I hope they fix it soon. One workaround is to save and then switch to peaceful mode, sleep the night, then save and switch back to whatever you had it set to before. Annoying, but it works.

And now there's an inventory editor for the 360 version.

It shouldn't be too much of a wet blanket given how the multiplayer is implemented but I guess we should start taking the various super awesome screenshots out there with a grain of salt.:cry:

Digging around it looks like people have even found a way to turn-on Creative Mode.

edit: Also Digital Foundry put up a nice article where they spoke with 4J's senior technology officer, Paddy Burns.

Last edited by a moderator:
So far it's the typical Modio to extract/rehash/resign and 360Revolution to edit the save itself route. Supposedly there's another more robust editor coming as well that may or may not be built into 360Revolution.

I'm also seeing stuff about modifying the game data itself in order to get things like Creative Mode and custom skins/textures as well as some proper mods. (basically replacing what's there rather than actually adding anything)

If someone can turn-on splitscreen for SD users and/or Creative Mode then I can't help but wonder how that reflects upon 4J Studios. I'm thinking along the lines of hey this shit is already in there but 4J turned it off kinda stuff.

[quote name='Fell Open Ian']If someone can turn-on splitscreen for SD users and/or Creative Mode then I can't help but wonder how that reflects upon 4J Studios. I'm thinking along the lines of hey this shit is already in there but 4J turned it off kinda stuff.[/QUOTE]
Neither of those things would be surprising. Splitscreen is not disabled on SDTVs because of some technical limitation, but because the devs determined that the HUD was unusable in such a low resolution. It's a design choice and they've said as much. They've also said that Creative Mode is coming later in a free update. If they're already planning for it it wouldn't be weird for some of the associated code to already be there.

Hard to believe the most expensive XBLA game is also the highest selling.

I bought the game yesterday and am enjoying it more than I thought I would.

Remember when people said the success of the Indie Games clones would kill the appeal of Minecraft? It was just a sign of the demand that this would have.

[quote name='Hoffer']Hard to believe the most expensive XBLA game is also the highest selling.

I bought the game yesterday and am enjoying it more than I thought I would.[/QUOTE]
It's still about a third of the way to being the highest-selling XBLA game.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']

It's still about a third of the way to being the highest-selling XBLA game.[/QUOTE]

I guess I was thinking back to the story that it was the highest selling day one.

Here's an update on my castle as it stands right now. I've completed the first two towers that comprise the one end of my castle with a wall/walkway below. There's the floating garden that I have for trees and farming so I don't need to go outside for that stuff.

148896_386085481432628_100000935396630_1019850_77853721_n.jpg

This is a better view of what's being blocked by those hills in front of it. As a good hint, spiders cannot crawl, or vibrate, up the walls with those torches there, so anybody with spider problems should definitely try that out.

306144_386087654765744_100000935396630_1019884_2105040843_n.jpg

Here's the preliminary work for the other two towers at the other end of the castle, which I will be building the top parts first as I tunnel through the hills to figure out where the bottom of it should be. They will be about 50 blocks away while the two towers themselves are 25 blocks apart. The top floor is 11x11 while the rest of the tower is 9x9. As you can see below, I've got a lot of work to do below to create a good floor for the courtyard.

74780_386090331432143_100000935396630_1019889_87765598_n.jpg

I picked this area because there are a good variety of materials to gather here (dirt, sand, sandstone, stone, and others) and there are various springs/ponds/whatever nearby. The first two pictures are of the pond below where that right tower I'm working on will go. The third picture is of the water that you can see in one of the shots above, which is flowing out of the ground right next to my tower and gives me another easy place to do some quick farming. The fourth picture is another pond right behind the two towers in the first picture above. I don't have a picture of this, but there are similar magma/lava ponds further beyond in the direction that the third picture is facing.

574860_386093541431822_100000935396630_1019896_134420436_n.jpg

562417_386099951431181_100000935396630_1019914_1802106736_n.jpg

547352_386098821431294_100000935396630_1019911_1497105887_n.jpg

545104_386101754764334_100000935396630_1019918_906657744_n.jpg

This is the inside of my room on the left tower with all of the essentials and the steps up to the top. The second picture has the view of what the top looks like.

542440_386095298098313_100000935396630_1019899_385916834_n.jpg

550885_386097881431388_100000935396630_1019908_871872930_n.jpg

This is the view on the walkway, which needs some torches since the floating garden blocks out a bit of the light it would normally get.

540534_386095671431609_100000935396630_1019900_1018369570_n.jpg

This is the view of what's inside the walkway that connects the two towers. There's a door on the right, which you can sort of see the doorway where there are no torches there. I can hear spiders, zombies, and such in this area, so I'm pretty sure that there is a monster cave below with what I'm sure is the entrance in the second picture.

546335_386096104764899_100000935396630_1019902_1225223987_n.jpg

380263_386099154764594_100000935396630_1019913_595656374_n.jpg

I've had no problems with monsters in this castle outside of running into the weird spawning bug that scared me one night into putting torches everywhere just in case.

[quote name='Big St3ph3n']Post pictures of your creations guys. I wanna see what cags are building![/QUOTE]

as3jb5ciaedjpy.jpg

What you can't see:
Crafting room: 3 furnaces, four storage chests, and 3 crafting tables.
Worker's quarters: four storage chests, two beds
Stairs to Skybox on the right, second level
Mine access in the left upper corner
Backdoor next to staircase, so I can fish without leaving the house (Damn creepers!)

I also want to attempt to build a mob spawn above my house that will make them fall to their deaths in a closet in my house. Haven't figured it out yet, but I have some designs sketched out.

[quote name='NoelVermillion']hey i lost my map!! is it possible to make a map?
if so what materials do i need to make it.[/QUOTE]
Check your crafting table, as it's listed under the Tools and Weapons tab.

OK, wait, how are you guys getting those awesome screen shots!? All I saw was a way to post them to Facebook which I didn't want to do.

I was deep down underground last night and saw some awesome stuff that I would have loved to screen cap. Besides finding huge deposits of Lapis Lazuli and Diamond, and a great cavern with lava and water coming together (from which I mined 64 Obsidian before I got bored - there's tons more), I saw an Octopus stuck at the bottom of a waterfall.

I'd also like to show off my house and new decorations (I have one pretty neat painting).

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']
The jack-o-lanterns are far too creepy for me to use. Have you tried putting one on your head?[/QUOTE]

Heh - no, I haven't. That's something else I forgot you could do.

[quote name='crunchewy']That's a bug and it's pretty annoying. Mobs shouldn't be spawning in your house if well lit. I hope they fix it soon. One workaround is to save and then switch to peaceful mode, sleep the night, then save and switch back to whatever you had it set to before. Annoying, but it works.[/QUOTE]

So this is what my son was describing. He was in a multiplayer game and the monsters kept "getting in the house" according to him. I guess they were really just spawning in there.

And I think it does suck that people are able to edit inventory external to the game. I spent a long time digging down underneath my house to find some cool stuff that I will be adding to my house soon. But now if people can just edit the inventory and give themselves hundreds of diamond and lapis lazuli, we're going to start seeing houses made entirely out of the stuff and my meager decorations with them will seem pretty lame :cry:.

Also, with one of my diamonds I made a jukebox last night. It doesn't do anything - WTF!?

I used a dummy Facebook account to get those images. It asks you to enter your account info, so it doesn't need to be the same as your normal account.

[quote name='crunchewy']That's a bug and it's pretty annoying. Mobs shouldn't be spawning in your house if well lit. I hope they fix it soon. One workaround is to save and then switch to peaceful mode, sleep the night, then save and switch back to whatever you had it set to before. Annoying, but it works.[/QUOTE]

I don't know if this would work for anyone else, but I too was having these issues, but it seemed like the problem went away when I moved the bed one space away from the wall. If it was right against it, monsters every night. One space away, no attacks.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I used a dummy Facebook account to get those images. It asks you to enter your account info, so it doesn't need to be the same as your normal account.[/QUOTE]

OK, thanks. I did an Internet search and found nothing on screenshots in the 360 version. Of course there is a nice and easy way to do it on the PC.

bread's done
Back