Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition - 1600 points

This is a cool game. I had a few harrowing nights before I figured out how to make a torch, but now I've got survival on lock. Time to build a kickass castle.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']Everyone check Raptr! Just got a free copy thru them via my rewards!
Score![/QUOTE]

It looks like it's expired, but there were requirements anyway.

Free Copy of Minecraft on Xbox 360
Requirement: Dedicated or above in Minecraft (PC) or select XBLA/Minecraft-like games (see details) AND a valid Facebook account to verify identity.

More specifically,

To qualify, Raptr members must be "Dedicated" in one of the following games:
-Bastion (360)
-Dungeon Defenders (360)
-Orcs Must Die! (360)
-Trials Evolution (360)
-Minecraft (PC)
-CastleMiner Z (360)
-CastleMiner (360)
-Total Miner: Forge (360)
-FortressCraft (360)
-Terraria (PC)

Damn...looks like I would have been eligible too, as I put a decent amount of time into Fortresscraft.

Is there any way to make a Gate for Fences in this version?

Perhaps it'd be easier for someone to make or point to a list of things that can't be made in this version compared to the PC one.

[quote name='KingBroly']Is there any way to make a Gate for Fences in this version?

Perhaps it'd be easier for someone to make or point to a list of things that can't be made in this version compared to the PC one.[/QUOTE]

I know there are fences in the game. I'm not sure about gates.

Does anybody have any tips on mining. I played around with Minecraft on PC when it first came out, but never really got into "the point of the game". I was mostly just building crap and trying not to die. Now, having it on 360, I'm actually trying to improve my resources, find diamonds, etc. I've read a few things about "digging 18 levels deep", but how do you know where "level 1" actually starts? I also read somebody say "dig to the bottom of your world and then dig 11 levels up". I started working on that...and holy shit, it's taking forever, lol. I'm so far down, it takes a good 30 seconds just to climb the ladder back up. Can anybody provide some helpful hints on this topic?

I always firstly dig-deep right inside of my first house in a one-down-one-over kind of way so as to not need ladders/steps. (just torches and picks)

Also, you can totally crank the gamma while mining if you want to save on torches.

I dug all the way to the bottom of the game. Yeah, I'm not very creative when it comes to games like this, so I'm building a tower. It's got three floors so far.

I'd like to see what everyone's building. Send me a friend request.

Lesson to my fellow CAGs: SAVE OFTEN. I just spent the last three hours building an awesome 3 story house(awesome to me) and my game froze when going into the options menu. I beg them for an autosave option...sigh. *tears*

[quote name='AshesofWake']Lesson to my fellow CAGs: SAVE OFTEN. I just spent the last three hours building an awesome 3 story house(awesome to me) and my game froze when going into the options menu. I beg them for an autosave option...sigh. *tears*[/QUOTE]

Sorry to hear that, bro. The game is supposed to autosave (I see the icon fairly frequently), but I guess there are a few (maybe more than a few) bugs to be worked out.

The save button is your friend I guess.

I am having a ton more fun than I thought I would playing this game. I'm glad my kids both wanted it pretty bad.

Gotta love persistance. I found a mine across the water from the big tower with the flames at the top. Decided to just make a stairway all the way down without deviating. Took me about an hour but, I ended up with at least 20 Gold & 15 Diamond along with some Redstone, Iron, Lapis Lazuli and a ton of Mushrooms. Also hit a few waterfalls near lava so I made quite a bit of Obsidian as well.

I'm having a ton of fun with this game. I ended up building my house in the middle of a canyon with massive peaks surrounding. I then dug a tunnel straight up the highest peak surrounding my house and had it connected via a tunnel to my house. Once I was done building the tower I managed to hit the height limit in the game.

I[quote name='teknikalei']Sorry to hear that, bro. The game is supposed to autosave (I see the icon fairly frequently), but I guess there are a few (maybe more than a few) bugs to be worked out.

The save button is your friend I guess.[/QUOTE]

WWait yeah you're right there is an autosave..... hmm. I was too sad to check after I turned off my xbox. Maybe half of it is still there. I'll check after work sigh.

There are some heinous bugs in the game that can cause it to lock or kick you back to the main menu that can be bad if you're not saving often. Brad Shoemaker on Giant Bomb was demonstrating on the TNT livestream that sitting at the leaderboard for too long causes it to lose sync and kick you back to the main menu, which is a really bad bug. He even kept running into other bugs so often during the stream that he stopped playing it altogether and switched to something else.

Notch said on twitter that he estimates (from leaderboards) that it sold over 400k copies in 24 hours.

https://twitter.com/notch/status/200672827450462209

So that's, if I'm doing this right, $8 million dollars in sales. Wow. I don't know how much of that Notch and company see. Well, there were those who got it for $15 from bestbuy, but then this is just an estimate anyway. It's wow either way.

Also, I found a really great guide to help people get started with their mining. It explains branch mining pretty thoroughly. This helped me rocket up from stone to iron to diamond in about 20 minutes. Now, it's just a matter of getting "enough" of it to build my minecarts, tracks, etc.

http://gaming.stackexchange.com/questions/8310/whats-the-most-efficient-minecraft-mining-strategy

And for those who don't know exactly what they're looking for with each block, here's a nice cross section style key somebody made.

not all of these appear in this build of the game, but it should give you a general idea of what you're looking for
Template1.png

[quote name='seanr1221']Any beginners guides out there?[/QUOTE]

This. Also looking for a list of all the items that can be on the 360 version and how to obtain them.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']This. Also looking for a list of all the items that can be on the 360 version and how to obtain them.[/QUOTE]

I've learned a little from the Minecraft Wiki, though understandably it is focused on the PC version. I have both so it might help me finally play the PC version (though I doubt it, couch mining is too much fun ;) ).

Well, I received this game in the Raptr giveaway. I had played though the demo and had liked it, but decided it wasn't worth $20 at it's current state.

I think have put around three hours in on peaceful. (The Monsters were getting too annoying) I have a small underground base and several shafts that go to the bottom of the map. I have also built a bridge that extends around 300 blocks by two wide across a lake and to a land that is plentiful in resources. Eventually it will have railtracks, but not yet.

If you cant tell I have been enjoy this game. I look forward to updates.

I'm with the guy who asked about the beginner's guide. I know there's nothing you have to do, per se, but after I finished the tutorial and night hit, I was quickly blown up. Should I take up residence in that nearby town or build in the beginning section? I crossed the ocean and the world looks vast.

[quote name='Matt Young']I'm with the guy who asked about the beginner's guide. I know there's nothing you have to do, per se, but after I finished the tutorial and night hit, I was quickly blown up. Should I take up residence in that nearby town or build in the beginning section? I crossed the ocean and the world looks vast.[/QUOTE]

To be honest I would recommend playing on peaceful until you get somewhat of a base to hide. (You can change the difficulty each time you start up the game)

Did nobody see this that I posted...or is it not what you guys are looking for? lol.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Also, I found a really great guide to help people get started with their mining. It explains branch mining pretty thoroughly. This helped me rocket up from stone to iron to diamond in about 20 minutes. Now, it's just a matter of getting "enough" of it to build my minecarts, tracks, etc.

http://gaming.stackexchange.com/questions/8310/whats-the-most-efficient-minecraft-mining-strategy

And for those who don't know exactly what they're looking for with each block, here's a nice cross section style key somebody made.

not all of these appear in this build of the game, but it should give you a general idea of what you're looking for
Template1.png
[/QUOTE]

Also, Matt, I started a new world, as playing in the Tutorial world just seemed kinda boring to me.

Has someone gotten the Minecart achievement yet? I'd love to mooch, er...I mean I'd love it if I could friend you so I could come into your game and get it. :)

I died last night and lost all of my items. I apparently didn't get back in time. I lost bones, a diamond pickaxe, my armor, everything. :(

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Did nobody see this that I posted...or is it not what you guys are looking for? lol.

Also, Matt, I started a new world, as playing in the Tutorial world just seemed kinda boring to me.[/QUOTE]

I'm really having a hard time understanding that. Maybe that tutorial assumes you already kind of know Minecraft. Looking at those weird ASCII-like characters didn't help me at all and I wasn't able to envision what they said.

I missed out on the Raptr giveaway... but I managed to win a code in a contest on another forum! I now own the most expensive XBLA game lol. Time to see what all the fuss is about.

BTW, if you have both Comic Jumper and Alan Wake XBLA, as well as Minecraft XBLA... you can earn 2 free XBLA games by doing seven achievements spread across all 3 games. Details here... They look pretty tough! Unfortunately I don't own Alan Wake yet so I cannot participate :(... unless I cough up $15.

I found one Wolf, but I can't find them anymore. For Sugar Cane, look near water. That's all you need to do.

I got the Minecart achievement in my game, but I'll be gone until Sunday night unfortunately.

Maybe. I didn't even know you could play the Tutorial World.

EDIT:
Finally found a Wolf so I got the last achievement. I'm now completely lost though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Man, so Friday night I spent 2 hours playing in my son's game. Then I started up a new world for myself and put about 4 hours in. This game is addictive. I'm trying to build a glass and sandstone house around a huge tree I found on the top of a hill. It means I have to strip mine a small offshore island for the sand, but oh well... Oh yeah, and I'm making the floor hardwood so I also need a bunch of trees - but I have to get them far from my house so I don't ruin the view ;). I have yet to even start really doing any mining! Once the house is done, I'll start from a spot in the house and head down.

Oh, and I see wolves all the time when I'm out and about. Not sure what I'm supposed to do with them though.

You're supposed to give them Bones so they'll follow you and help attack Skeletons, Zombies and Spiders. Not Creepers though. They won't attack those.

There's literally no Clay to find in my game. I have zero clue where I can find it, either.

EDIT:
I just saw that Clay is pretty rare before version 1.8. So...I imagine we'll get that version in 4-6 months given Microsoft's scheduling for updates. I'd really like a new update in a week or two to make some of the things in the PC version that are available, like Gates, Clay Blocks, the ability to trick Animals into Pens with Wheat and Animal Breeding.

Looking for someone to help me with the minecart achievement (On a Rail). Let me know if you have one built and I'll jump in your world ;)

EDIT: Got it thanks to Daniel from xbox360achievements.org :D Thanks man!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='goodbyetonight']Am I the only one that can't find any sugar cane or wolves anywhere in their game?[/QUOTE]

Funny story about wolves- I joined an mp game night before last, and started wandering around to gather wood and just get the lay of the land.

I came across a herd of what I thought were sheep, so I walked up to the nearest one and whacked it for its wool- I'm sure you can see where this is going- it was a wolf. Apparently they don't take kindly to being whacked, and neither did his three wolf buddies.

Yea, I died pretty damn quick once those pups started expressing their displeasure all up in my ass. *sigh*

Now that I know they like bones, maybe I'll try to play nice with them from now on. Then again, maybe I'll never see one again?

[quote name='sp8001']Looking for someone to help me with the minecart achievement (On a Rail). Let me know if you have one built and I'll jump in your world ;)[/QUOTE]

I think I got that achievement in the tutorial world- there was a mine cart already set up, so I just hopped in.

EDIT: I was wrong, just checked, and I didn't get the achievement yet. It might work in the tutorial world, but 500 meters is a pretty long distance.

[quote name='io']Man, so Friday night I spent 2 hours playing in my son's game. Then I started up a new world for myself and put about 4 hours in. This game is addictive. I'm trying to build a glass and sandstone house around a huge tree I found on the top of a hill. It means I have to strip mine a small offshore island for the sand, but oh well... Oh yeah, and I'm making the floor hardwood so I also need a bunch of trees - but I have to get them far from my house so I don't ruin the view ;). I have yet to even start really doing any mining! Once the house is done, I'll start from a spot in the house and head down.

Oh, and I see wolves all the time when I'm out and about. Not sure what I'm supposed to do with them though.[/QUOTE]
You could build a treehouse on top of it or attached on the side with a ladder to get up. Cut away leaves to give you some room and then build out from there.

So yea, in testing out a rail system for a mining cart, I ended up launching myself into lava. I died and all my diamond eq, and almost a full inventory of minerals & materials burned up. I still got plenty of stuff in my houses, but i'm all out of diamonds. The last save I had was 5 hours prior, so there was no way I was gonna roll back.

[quote name='Fell Open Ian']Don't you dare be ashamed of your awesome crafting table house.:applause:
Kevfactor.jpg
[/QUOTE]
Haha thx. i might make a boob house time :)

bread's done
Back