NHL 2012-2013 Season- Let's do this. Games start January 19

• Please log in to reply
884 replies to this topic

#121 SynGamer

SynGamer

Welcome to Night Vale

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2012 - 12:59 PM

I still have hopes for a half season starting sometime in January...

g92sOMa.png4lNop7I.pngEwYfNFu.pngauyL8J9.pngszbgEtP.pngSoNL9s6.png

#122 Ced

Ced

Monster Hustler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2012 - 01:36 PM

I think the safe bet is the season is lost. Feel a bit sorry for those non-millionaire/billionaire folks that have had their incomes shot because millionaires/billionaires can't decide where the money goes.

#123 SynGamer

SynGamer

Welcome to Night Vale

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 November 2012 - 01:42 PM

I think the safe bet is the season is lost. Feel a bit sorry for those non-millionaire/billionaire folks that have had their incomes shot because millionaires/billionaires can't decide where the money goes.

I was actually just discussing the repercussions of the lockout on "regular folks". I can vouch that downtown Buffalo, NY is dead and so far two establishments have closed that I know of. I mean, the bars and restaurants in these hockey cities rely heavily on the hockey nights and with no hockey this season I'm expecting to see a lot of places close before next Spring. And that doesn't include the people who work during the actual hockey games at the local arenas.

#124 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:09 AM

Interesting "pro-players" article that really blasts the owners for how long this lockout has dragged on. Hoping a deal is close though considering they're meeting for the 4th day in a row tomorrow. I'd be thrilled for even a 68 game season starting in December.

#125 SynGamer

SynGamer

Welcome to Night Vale

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:17 AM

I wonder if there is any chance to get the Winter Classic back should they be able to get the season to start in time for December. I doubt Michigan has anything lined up to replace that event...

#126 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:06 AM

http://sports.yahoo....32983--nhl.html

Here's an interesting read. Apparently, the owners just realized that they're losing (more) money by not having the players on the ice, and some are starting to throw Gary Bettman under the bus for it. The owner of the Flyers, specifically, was told by Bettman that the lockout wouldn't last this long. Oops! :applause:

#127 VipFREAK

VipFREAK

Fun Knee!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:10 AM

Too fuckin bad... That's what you get when ur all fuckin idiots... If I could get my sis and dad to give up their season tickets I would so that they get no funds from my family that'd be fuckin great.

My Summer Motto: "When Nature turns off the damn heat I'll turn off my A/C"

Trade List

#128 NinjaPenguin777

NinjaPenguin777

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:48 PM

I know some of the owners are still paying/helping their lower tier employees. The Lightning owner is still giving away $50k to a charity for every "home game". He's a real class act. Everyone in the area loves him.

Formerly known as slickkill77

#129 SynGamer

SynGamer

Welcome to Night Vale

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:14 PM

I keep refreshing nhl.yahoo.com hoping to see a new article announcing both sides have reached an agreement...or are at least making progress.

#130 shieryda

shieryda

Opus Eponymous

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 November 2012 - 01:14 AM

http://www.nhl.com/i...vid=DL|NHL|home

#131 VipFREAK

VipFREAK

Fun Knee!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:17 AM

DEFINITELY GONNA HAPPEN NOW! lulz

http://sports.yahoo....34019--nhl.html

Trade List

#132 SynGamer

SynGamer

Welcome to Night Vale

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:26 AM

I'm not even interested in this season anymore. ANY gain the NHL/NHLPA would have had this season or next was lost now that the entire season is pretty much blown. $3.3 billion last year? And this year they lockout over essentially a few $100 million. Smart.

I *may* watch next season, but for now I plan on getting NHL 13 (or 12, cheaper) and watching the European leagues.

#133 shieryda

shieryda

Opus Eponymous

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:32 PM

Fucking mediation couldn't even help end this charade. Tired of hearing about the negotiations and discussions. Just cancel the season already and let the young guns get more experience in Europe and in the AHL.

#134 sendme

sendme

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:32 PM

http://sports.yahoo....33751--nhl.html

Not sure if it has been posted or if anyone has seen it. I know it is old, but I forgot to post it when a friend sent it to me.
Posted Image

#135 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:39 PM

There was another blog on Yahoo recently talking about how whatever gets done...whenever it gets done, it needs to be long-term. This "every 7 years" crap is what's killing the league. I understand that financial climates change and what was a good deal today may not be a good deal in a decade. But having work stoppages this often makes what should be a fun game and an escape from the responsibilities of "real life" just look like more greed and politics.

We all know that the NHL wouldn't exist if they weren't making money, but it's not supposed to look this obvious. They shouldn't be reminding us how much money we spend on tickets, memorabilia, etc. and by arguing over how that money should be split every 7 years. Play the damn games, smile, and keep taking our money. As the blog mentioned, if it takes losing another entire season to reach an actual good agreement that can last for a longer time, it's probably worth it. But they have to find a better way to deal with this crap too. They can't just shut down every 7 years and expect people to not get tired of it.

#136 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 December 2012 - 03:09 AM

Who needs the NHL?!?! :hot:

http://sports.yahoo....dGlvbnM-;_ylv=3

#137 shieryda

shieryda

Opus Eponymous

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 December 2012 - 02:35 PM

"And I will RUIN you. RUIN YOU!"

The girl at 3:56 is nice...

#138 VipFREAK

VipFREAK

Fun Knee!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 December 2012 - 05:47 PM

Considering I could barely get though the 5 min. video (w/ mute on) I don't think this is a good replacement...

Trade List

#139 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:47 PM

Considering I could barely get though the 5 min. video (w/ mute on) I don't think this is a good replacement...

http://www.fairfaxun...you_re_gay_.jpg

I could barely get though the 5 min. video (w/ mute on)

#140 gamingcamelcliente

gamingcamelcliente

CAG in Training

• CAG in Training

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:54 PM

I feel like this strike was like spitting in the face of the fans. As a guy who went to numerous games a year for the last decade, they'll definitely have to earn back my support. After having the Kings win the cup and the Rangers make a deep run in the playoffs (in my opinion exactly what the NHL needed to have happen to broaden its fan base); the owners sh*t the bed and totally neglected the fans. I love the NHL but the damage they have done to their image I believe will be measured in years, not months, and that's really disappointing.

#141 sendme

sendme

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2012 - 01:59 PM

I think Charter Communications is trying to be funny. They changed their packaged deals in my area and now I get NHL Center Ice. It is nice seeing all the classic games, but it just makes me want the season to start.

EDIT: http://sports.yahoo....06716--nhl.html

Edited by sendme, 14 December 2012 - 02:52 PM.

Posted Image

#142 VipFREAK

VipFREAK

Fun Knee!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:48 AM

Dad and Sis have season tickets, they were offered SF Bull tickets (ECHL) so I went with my sis. I'm over hockey, it was so bad we left before the 3rd period started...

Trade List

#143 mykevermin

mykevermin

Queen of Scotland

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:19 PM

So what happens if you're a season ticket holder? Are you on the hook for the payments still? How easy/difficult (okay, difficult) is it to get out of them?

It seems the teams should be bending over backwards to not Fuck season ticket holders, and to make sure that they court those people - the big spenders and the die hards. But my guess is they're more likely to take them for granted, and squeeze them for another nickel.
Posted Image

#144 sendme

sendme

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:56 PM

Last I knew season ticket holders could get their money back on the games that were not played.
Posted Image

#145 dafoomie

dafoomie

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:19 PM

Some poor little Slovak got smoked today.

Not sure how I feel about this hit. If it's in the NHL I'm fine with it, a pro should protect himself in that situation and be aware that the forecheck is coming, but maybe in junior hockey if you want to have a few more rules to protect kids from getting their heads taken off that would be ok too.

#146 shieryda

shieryda

Opus Eponymous

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:22 PM

Why the Fuck were they trying to lift him before the stretcher got down there? Camara got a 5-min major and a game? Some Russian dude cross-checked a player in the face the other day, and only got a 2-min minor.

#147 mykevermin

mykevermin

Queen of Scotland

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:33 PM

It seems insincere to portray concern when you say "some poor little Slovak got smoked."

His name is in the title of the video, and to say he was "smoked" seems rather celebratory.
Posted Image

#148 shieryda

shieryda

Opus Eponymous

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:25 PM

http://www.nhl.com/i...id=nhl:topheads

#149 mykevermin

mykevermin

Queen of Scotland

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:53 PM

Following from the outside, can someone explain the "make whole" issue? It only seems fair that players get every penny of the bloated contracts the idiot owners signed them to. Nashville shouldn't have matched the offer sheet for Shea Weber if they couldn't afford him; maybe Minnesota will cash itself into financial oblivion (or NHL ownership) by signing Suter and Parise to preposterous deals.

And this also means the Flyers, to my chagrin, owe Bryzgalov every overpaid penny of the fickle, insane motherfucker's contract.

But if the CBA limits contracts or truncates owner responsibilities in some way, where does the "make whole" fit in here? It seems disgusting to me that owners would sign enormous, long, bloated and front-loaded contracts for players and then immediately try to wiggle out of those contracts.
Posted Image

#150 SynGamer

SynGamer

Welcome to Night Vale

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:18 PM

Some poor little Slovak got smoked today.

Not sure how I feel about this hit. If it's in the NHL I'm fine with it, a pro should protect himself in that situation and be aware that the forecheck is coming, but maybe in junior hockey if you want to have a few more rules to protect kids from getting their heads taken off that would be ok too.

The kid looked up once before keeping his head down for a good 4-5 seconds, knowing the checking was coming. Clean, but vicious, hit. BS penalty.