* * * * * 1 votes

MMA (UFC, Strikeforce, Bellator, Invicta, etc.) Discussion Thread -- Version II

• Please log in to reply
903 replies to this topic

#271 paz9x

paz9x

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:46 AM

Stevenson was a main eventer. UFC 80.

My original post was just playing devil's advocate, asking a hypothetical question. UFC wants to make money, Edgar already is NOT a big money maker, if he's on a losing streak he is even less money. If he loses badly in his next fight, I say he should get fired. If he has a good fight, but still loses, yeah, they'll still keep him. But after that? A 5th loss in a row? He's gone.

No way does that happen. the guy is worldclass, like another post said, hes not losing to guida 5 times in a row. you put the 2nd best 170 in ther world in a fight with gsp 5 times in a row and he loses, does he suck? thats whats happening with edgar. hes had 7 consecutive title fights, 3-3-1. hed have to lose his next fight convincingly and get finished by a low-level guy after that to even be in the discussion imo. He doesnt have to be a big ppv draw. bendo isnt. most UFc fighters arent, there is a handful of guys that really draw, everything else is matchup related.
"I am the Walrus" "Shut the Fuck up Donnie"

Posted Image

#272 MisterModest

MisterModest

Custom User Title

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:25 AM

More than likely he wins his next fight anyways, against a "lower" fighter. But if he loses another two times in row, yeah, he's getting fired.

#273 Dokstarr

Dokstarr

Tap, Snap or Nap

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:00 AM

I did see the fight and do think hes overrated.He wasn't able to bully Bigfoot in the clinch and in the end his suspect chin came into play.Call it whatever you want, him being less shredded possibly off the PEDs or playing around,he didn't deserve to be considered as good as people thought he was.I was in the bandwagon and thought he was that good as well.

I think people discounted Bigfoot and then were hyping up Overeem a bit. The people BF has gone up against have been a definite step up compared to Overeem's competition. Cormier, Cain, Fedor, Arlovski, and Werdum are all beasts. On the other hand aside from a post-op Lesnar (and failed the drug test) and a really weird match against Werdum, Overeem has beet Fujita, Overeem, and Duffee. I think BF's competition definitely outranks what has been thrown out Overeem.

After seeing Overeem knee Fujita into next week and drop Duffee people started to really ride the Ubereem Hype Train.

I like Overeem and hope he comes back and puts on some good fights, but as of yet I don't think he has proven he is ready for someone like Cain.

As a side note - I was gonna buy this shirt if he walked through Big Foot
http://www.redbubble...ered-with-stamp

#274 bigpimpin24

bigpimpin24

Killamanjaro!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:05 PM

Aldo vs Pettis has been confirmed.

Should definitely be an interesting fight since both guys are fantastic strikers. Pettis could not wait for the winner of Bendo and Melendez so he's going for Aldo. It's pretty cool that guys from 155 are coming down to challenge Aldo because the 155 division is stacked and the 145 is not. I wouldn't mind seeing Aldo going up to 155 either and trying to hold 2 belts in two divisions. Now that would be sick!

Posted Image
"War? War never changes.."

#275 shotgunshine

shotgunshine

The People's Champ

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:54 PM

Bellator has been on a roll with the great shows since coming to Spike.

Was very satisfying seeing Shlemenko take out Falcao. Destroyed his liver then put him out cold.

http://cdn0.sbnation...es/283459/1.gif

jukeboxtimebomb.png

#276 Ced

Ced

Monster Hustler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:50 PM

i always appreciate a fighter using strikes to the body. This was a really nice one to the liver and I imagine Falcao was in a great deal of pain right before Shlemenko put his lights out.
Posted Image

#277 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

Intensely attracted to severe personality problems.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2013 - 01:32 AM

Aldo vs Pettis has been confirmed.

Should definitely be an interesting fight since both guys are fantastic strikers. Pettis could not wait for the winner of Bendo and Melendez so he's going for Aldo. It's pretty cool that guys from 155 are coming down to challenge Aldo because the 155 division is stacked and the 145 is not. I wouldn't mind seeing Aldo going up to 155 either and trying to hold 2 belts in two divisions. Now that would be sick!

I'm excited for Aldo/Pettis, but I don't think Pettis stands as good of a chance as Edgar did. He is crazy powerful, but I think Aldo will fight a much smarter fight than Lauzon or Cerrone. It will probably go the distance, so Aldo definitely needs to work on his conditioning.

I actually think this is a bad decision by Pettis, especially considering his fight with Aldo isn't until August. I don't know about Melendez, but since joining the UFC Benson will have fought 7 fights in 2 years, averaging less than 4 months between fights. If Pettis had just waited for the winner at lightweight, it's very possible he would have got his shot in September/October, which really isn't that much longer than August. I think Pettis is worried that Bendo/Melendez will be extremely close and merit an immediate rematch, especially if Gil edges Benson. I think Pettis is just "chasing a belt" and it might come back to haunt him.

As for Aldo moving to 155, Bendo is my favorite fighter and I'd be scared to death of Aldo at 155. But can Aldo hold 2 belts at once for an extended period of time? Is that allowed, or would he have to abdicate one of them when he decides what weight class to stick with?

Edited by tylerh1701, 10 February 2013 - 01:47 AM.

tylerh1701.png jTZR76M.png

Check out my CAG Blog!

#278 Ced

Ced

Monster Hustler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2013 - 02:23 AM

But can Aldo hold 2 belts at once for an extended period of time? Is that allowed, or would he have to abdicate one of them when he decides what weight class to stick with?

It's unprecedented, but I think with the length of time most of their titles are on ice currently, UFC would force a 2-division champ to abdicate one of the titles afterward. However, whichever belt gets dropped will likely lose a bit of shine as a result and whoever wins the title immediately afterwards will have to shake off the perception of being a paper champion. If there's anything the UFC doesn't need more of, it's more Interim Champions.

In reality, the concept of champion vs champion may never become a reality in the UFC because while the buys would undoubtedly be great for that one show, it would leave the UFC with the "OK...what now?" predicament I described above.
Posted Image

#279 bigpimpin24

bigpimpin24

Killamanjaro!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:44 PM

Frank Mir and Daniel Cormier is set to be the Co-Main Event for Hendo/Melendez on April 20th.

Posted Image

#280 Calipso

Calipso

Der Metzgermeister

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:49 PM

So that means he should be fired? Why do guys like Stefan Struve, Vladimir Matyushenko, Alan Belcher, etc. have jobs? That's just a ridiculous leap going from "not a good PPV draw" to "cut him!" He's just been under the lights for too long and you can see he's tired. Give the guy a break.

I always refer to him as the champion that nobody wanted. Going all the way back to when he beat BJ Penn the first time, he was scrutinized. That was 7 fights ago. 7 main events. What fighter wouldn't be exhausted after going through that? I'm sure Dana would agree that he's earned a break. He still hasn't been finished in a fight either. At least let the guy get knocked out before you toss him to the curb.

In other news, Anderson Silva's managers have said that Silva would fight GSP at a catchweight. That makes the fight a lot more interesting to me. At least now, Silva is giving something up. He'll still be the bigger fighter, but would at least have the potential of being drained from his cut too. That's a much different fight than when he was wanting GSP to come up to 185. Crazy how cooperative Anderson has been lately.

Anyone saying Struve should be cut should be burned alive.

Future UFC HW Champion in the making.
Currently playing:
:pc: - Red Orchestra 2
:pc: - Killing Floor
:pc: - SimCity 4
:360: - Uno
:360: - Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare

#281 DT778

DT778

number 1 on the westside

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:14 AM

Anyone got the presale code for UFC in San Jose? Signed up for the newsletter a few days ago but haven't received an email from them yet and the presale is tomorrow.

#282 Irukandji

Irukandji

Gold Guns Girls

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:06 AM

I like Struve. He's exciting to watch but he's never going to be the heavyweight champion.

card.png

#283 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:00 AM

^That loss to Travis Browne kind of hurt him, it was a fight he probably should have won. I didn't realize he's won 4 in a row since then though.

Check out my CAG Blog!

#284 Calipso

Calipso

Der Metzgermeister

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:53 PM

I like Struve. He's exciting to watch but he's never going to be the heavyweight champion.

Sure about that? The HW division is the weakest in the organization.
Currently playing:

#285 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:10 PM

Struve is talented...but he's got a LONG way to go. He lost to Travis Browne...he got KTFO by Roy Nelson. You could argue that he's improved since then, but we need to see it against bigger name fighters. Can he beat Roy Nelson now? Could he beat Frank Mir? Could he even beat Cheick Kongo? Fight Magazine has him as their #8 heavyweight (ahead of guys that he lost to like Nelson and Browne...not to mention Josh Barnett and Kongo). I'm not saying I disagree, but lets see him put some of those guys down. It's time for Struve to put on his big boy pants.

#286 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:52 AM

Oh...Nick Diaz

http://sports.yahoo....tion_ref_map=[]

One of the best quotes you will ever read comes near the end of the article. Of course it was a lawyer saying it, but my God. I almost choked the bullshit was so thick.

#287 Ced

Ced

Monster Hustler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:47 AM

That law-talking-guy couldn't set himself up for ridicule worse even if he tried.
Posted Image

#288 Magiblaze

Magiblaze

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:51 AM

Struve is talented...but he's got a LONG way to go. He lost to Travis Browne...he got KTFO by Roy Nelson. You could argue that he's improved since then, but we need to see it against bigger name fighters. Can he beat Roy Nelson now? Could he beat Frank Mir? Could he even beat Cheick Kongo? Fight Magazine has him as their #8 heavyweight (ahead of guys that he lost to like Nelson and Browne...not to mention Josh Barnett and Kongo). I'm not saying I disagree, but lets see him put some of those guys down. It's time for Struve to put on his big boy pants.

Hes a good fighter but unforunately his chin just isn't there to get him to the top of the Heavyweights.Someone with finishing power will always be there to KO him.Great fighter though.Not sure how his fight with Hunt goes, he either gets KOed or manages to sub Hunt.All likely to be in the first round :D.

#289 Irukandji

Irukandji

Gold Guns Girls

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:34 AM

Sure about that? The HW division is the weakest in the organization.

Yeah, I'm sure. Quote me on it. If he fights for the heavyweight championship I'll take any bet you want.

card.png

#290 MisterModest

MisterModest

Custom User Title

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:55 PM

Jon Fitch got fired. Bunch of other chumps, too.

#291 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:02 PM

^Hmm...I don't think that Fitch deserved to be cut, but I'm not shedding tears over it either. His fights were usually awful to watch.

Check out my CAG Blog!

#292 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:54 PM

Wow...I gotta say, Fitch really got screwed by the UFC the past few years. When he was riding his 6 fight unbeaten streak, Dana promised him another shot at GSP...then all the Nick Diaz nonsense started...which parlayed into Carlos Condit...which then led to injury...and so on. Meanwhile, Fitch keeps plugging away...takes a couple losses to guys who are basically next in line for title shots at 170 (Hendricks and Maia), and now he's out of a job? The guy has lost 3 fights in 10 years...WTF?

This is a really weird move for the UFC. They cut 16 fighters. You'd think they were strapped for cash or something. With all the injuries we saw this past year, and fighters needing to be replaced, this just doesn't make sense to me. Unless they want to introduce some new kind of roster structure where they keep fighters available, but don't have them under contract...this just seems like it would lead to MORE cancelled events. If they were getting top notch talent from The Ultimate Fighter, I could maybe understand it...but most of those guys have been floundering as well. I feel like there's more to this story than we're being told.

EDIT - Full disclosure, Fitch hasn't finished a fighter since 2007...and I could totally see that playing into it. I just really hope that's not a road the UFC goes down. It basically means sloppy ass fighters like Chris Leben and Leonard Garcia will always have a home, but guys who fight technically and make few mistakes are just written off. I can see drunken bar fights with giant haymakers anywhere. Even Fitch's loss to Maia...yes, it was one-sided, but it was because Maia was all over him and wouldn't let him breathe. That fight was two technicians posturing for control for 15 minutes. Maia just came better prepared. I get that "knockouts sell". But at some point, that starts to sound an awful lot like EliteXC's mantra too. It's a very slippery slope.

#293 Calipso

Calipso

Der Metzgermeister

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:01 PM

Pissed at Fitch and Volkmann. Neither deserved to be cut. I've gone to enough UFC Expos and UFC events......I'm getting irritated with how UFC has become "Sports entertainment".

Sonnen fan here, he doesn't deserve the LHW shot.
Edgar fan here, he didn't deserve the last 2 shots and doesn't deserve another.

Enough is enough.

Fitch boring. Sure. But he wins and is a legit fighter.
Volkmann boring. Same as fitch, he was on a tear. One loss and he's gone? (6-2 record in UFC)

Dana White can suck it.

Paul Sass and Jacob Volkmann are chumps? GTFO and go back to Sherdog you JUST BLEED dbag.
Currently playing:

#294 bigpimpin24

bigpimpin24

Killamanjaro!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:40 AM

Really surprised about Jon Fitch.. Some article said there's 80 more fighters to be let go? Wtf are they trying to do?

Posted Image

#295 Ced

Ced

Monster Hustler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:08 AM

Source of this article? Culling one-fifth of the roster sounds crazy.
Posted Image

#296 MisterModest

MisterModest

Custom User Title

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:02 AM

GTFO and go back to Sherdog you JUST BLEED dbag.

I'm sorry, but I'm European, and don't know what any of that means. Don't use your slick, trash-talking, American slang on me.

#297 bigpimpin24

bigpimpin24

Killamanjaro!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:37 PM

Source of this article? Culling one-fifth of the roster sounds crazy.

http://www.5thround....s-fired-by-ufc/

Just put "Jon Fitch fired" on Google and clicked the first link. Don't really know the credibility of that page since I've never been on there before

Posted Image

#298 Maklershed

Maklershed

Feed me a stray cat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:07 AM

http://www.mmafighti...eased-jon-fitch

Dana says UFC roster is 100 fighters too heavy and more cuts are on the way. :cold:

Posted Image

#299 Ced

Ced

Monster Hustler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:31 AM

It's a shame that the fighting business is such a dog-eat-dog, "I got mine" world because if any groups needs to unionize, these guys rank up there.
Posted Image

#300 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:32 AM

I just...wasn't all the injuries this past year proof that they need back up fighters? I mean, I guess people are desperate enough to fight in the UFC that they could call anybody at the last minute and be like "Hey, you wanna fight this Saturday?" But it just seems risky. If the fighters actually banded together (MMAFA perhaps? Mixed Martial Arts Fighters Association), they could tell the UFC to Fuck off and force them into cancelling more PPVs. But I guess if the UFC doesn't care what bar fighter they throw in there, it's not going to make much of a difference. Maybe that's what they're counting on.

It's a shame that the fighting business is such a dog-eat-dog, "I got mine" world because if any groups needs to unionize, these guys rank up there.

Damn...we're on the same page, I guess, haha.