MMA (UFC, Strikeforce, Bellator, Invicta, etc.) Discussion Thread -- Version II

Tate said that she has been signed to the UFC roster as well. I expect the women's divisions in the UFC to be much more populated (with plenty of Invicta girls probably) than Strikeforce was, not that anybody off the top of my head would beat Rousey anyway

Cyborg and McMann would definitely be tough opponents for Rousey. I think I actually like McMann's chances better than Cyborgs believe it or not.

Uhh she did beat Baszler. She's 6-0. She's a great wrestler. She's super strong. And she has great submission defense. And I didn't say I thought she'd beat Rousey. I think she has the best chance of any viable opponents right now.

I am shocked that Le beat Franklin to be honest.Seemed pretty safe like single bet and parlay material.Good time to question Franklin's chin as hes gotten old.Haven't watched the fights yet since I just got home but didn't expect this result.

Le always had a great shot to KO Franklin and anybody who thought otherwise was blinded as a fan of Franklin. Everybody likes Rich but there was a very good chance he was going to get stomped, which he did.

[quote name='Maklershed']Uhh she did beat Baszler. She's 6-0. She's a great wrestler. She's super strong. And she has great submission defense. And I didn't say I thought she'd beat Rousey. I think she has the best chance of any viable opponents right now.[/QUOTE]

I said she SHOULDN'T have beaten Baszler. She was outstruck with relative ease and was put in some very bad submission spots. She is strong but I think Cyborg has a better chance by far than anybody else.

Cyborg can land one shot while Rousey's plowing forward and MAY have a shot to get a KO. What will McMann do? Don't say LNP in Rousey's guard either...that is never going to happen.

Rich set himself up to get KTFO with the way he threw out that leg kick. He was inviting that counter hook keeping his guard so damn low.

I think this is a very good point for Ace to call it a career. 38 and he's only beaten opponents that are also on the decline (Wand, Liddell) in recent memory.

Or the fact that him striking with Cung Le was a horrible idea in the first place. I knew he would though since he doesn't wrestle anymore and that is why I didn't like him in this fight. Bad matchup on paper, turned out to be a bad sleep-inducing KO in reality.

With the new women's division in the UFC, you know Dana has to be thinking about a female season of TUF. There's just no way that awesomeness doesn't happen. It'd be like televising a slumber party.

That would be very, very interesting. A good way to save TUF after the Jones/Sonnen season falters, which it will.

Rousey/Tate TUF is probably the best idea since everyone knows that while that is still a fair mismatch, Tate poses more of a "threat" (she can last the longest) to Rousey than anybody else.

Intriguing and I think it would be a good way to give a crash course on the women's division. However, there's going to be alot of fodder on that TUF. Well everybody's fodder when Rousey has an Anderson Silva like grasp on the division right now.

There is going to be a ton of guys being cut off the roster soon when Strikeforce gets folded into the UFC. Guys that can survive in Strikeforce with the occasional win/loss like Devin Cole, etc. simply because of the weakness of the division won't hang around in the UFC.

[quote name='ced']Intriguing and I think it would be a good way to give a crash course on the women's division. However, there's going to be alot of fodder on that TUF. Well everybody's fodder when Rousey has an Anderson Silva like grasp on the division right now.[/QUOTE]

It couldn't be much worse than the recent seasons of TUF...the Roy Nelson/Kimbo Slice season, specifically. It still blows my mind that the very first season has had more successful fighters than any season since.

It seems surprising but the talent these days is embarassing most of the time. You don't see anybody near the level of Evans, Griffin, Bonnar, Joe Daddy, etc. on any season in years. We're not talking about these people being great out of the gate or on the show, since obviously they are supposed to be prospects, but come on now...Schaub is probably one of the best TUF guys seen in years and even he is mid-level because he has no chin.

Well, to be fair, it has gotten better recently. Tony Ferguson has some decent skills, and both Diego Brandao and John Dodson seem like they'll be legit. But yeah, for awhile, TUF was just turning out guys who didn't develop AT ALL after the show. Mac Danzig, Amir Sadollah, Efrain Escudero, Ryan Bader, Ross Pearson, James Wilks, Court Mcgee, Jonathan Brookins. That's 6 seasons of winners who have made little impact on their divisions. Even this past season...I like Michael Chiesa...but he seems like another guy who may have a low ceiling. I get that these are prospects, but it feels like these guys are the equivalent to a 5th round draft pick in the NFL. You might get lucky with one here or there. But these definitely aren't guys who are going to be game changers.

I actually think you'll see a lot of the women on a TUF season stay in the UFC for a good while.For one reason because because it'll introduce some new stars in a division where there is very little depth and the women's division will need names going forward and a TUF could make some names to help out on building it.With as little as women fighters are being paid I imagine you can get a lot of great women fighters competing for that 100-300k contract.I feel like Ryan Bader has made a decent impact in his division.Only losses are to Jon Jones and Lyoto Machida and that isn't really anything to be ashamed of.The fluke Tito upset though... bit regardless I'd still call Ryan Bader a top ten guy.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Well, to be fair, it has gotten better recently. Tony Ferguson has some decent skills, and both Diego Brandao and John Dodson seem like they'll be legit. But yeah, for awhile, TUF was just turning out guys who didn't develop AT ALL after the show. Mac Danzig, Amir Sadollah, Efrain Escudero, Ryan Bader, Ross Pearson, James Wilks, Court Mcgee, Jonathan Brookins. That's 6 seasons of winners who have made little impact on their divisions. Even this past season...I like Michael Chiesa...but he seems like another guy who may have a low ceiling. I get that these are prospects, but it feels like these guys are the equivalent to a 5th round draft pick in the NFL. You might get lucky with one here or there. But these definitely aren't guys who are going to be game changers.[/QUOTE]

I don't follow every movement of TUF very often so I forgot about the Chiesas and such. Brandao is OK...nothing special but Dodson looks like he could be pretty decent as a boring Demetrious Johnson-like fighter, with worse wrestling.

Personally I think guys like Rony Jason on TUF Brazil turned out better than most of the guys on the last couple seasons of US TUF.

Also, I think it is unfair to compare Sadollah, Escudero, McGee, Brookins, etc. to guys like Sam Sicilla. Most of the other names are still in the UFC after years and can be tough runs for plenty of mid-level guys. The Sicillas and such aren't ever going to reach those heights.

[quote name='Maklershed']Heads up - UFC 154 is 30% off through the Xbox Live app!

HD = $38.49 (normally $54.99)

SD = $31.49 (normally $44.99)[/QUOTE]

Damn that's a pretty sweet deal, thanks for the heads up. I need to see if my friends want to go out and watch it, or just order it.

This season of TUF is the first one I haven't watched, I had watched every one since the beginning. I just realized eventually that I didn't enjoy watching it anymore, the quality of the fighters just didn't seem to be there. I mean sure there were maybe 1 or 2 guys every couple years who could fight at a mid-card level but compared to the first few years the talent level was severely depleted. I also ended up hating the live format and even though it's back to being taped again I still can't bring myself to watch it. I will see about checking out next season but if I do it will only be to see what hilarious crap Sonnen says.

Also I am pleading with my favorite fighter to retire....PLEASE RICH JUST STOP! I don't want to see you get destroyed anymore, just leave! You had a really good career, made a lot of money, ect. Oh, and when you do officially retire can you please take Wanderlei with you?

[quote name='Maklershed']Lets add Big Nog to that list.[/QUOTE]

When Rashad steamrolls through Lil Nog you'll be saying the same thing for him. :applause:

Big Nog is still game for some lower tier guys. Technically Franklin is a bit too, but he can't take decent punchers anymore and is past the point where he wrestles so his options are limited. He should retire soon.

Ryan Couture vs. KJ Noons just got booked.Seems like a strong test for Ryan to see where hes at.Personally I didn't think he would've beaten Conor Heun earlier this year but he showed some nice improvements in that fight.

fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck.

Don't know why but major injuries to digits skeeve me out worse than major injuries to limbs.

Yummy.

That toe injury doesn't do anything for me.

The injuries that bother me are broken bone injuries. IE: Checked shin kick that breaks the shin or Tim Sylvia's arm being broken in a kimura. That really skeeves me out.

[quote name='shotgunshine']I would directly link the picture but not sure if people want to see this...dont click this if your squeamish.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/11/...ey-beltran-horrific-broken-toe-image-mma-news

How the hell did his toe break like that?

Edit: This is how the injury happened. "The injury happened when Anthony attempted a routine takedown and his toe got stuck in/between 2 mats"[/QUOTE]

Legit.

It looks similar to the injury that Miguel Torres' friend got a while ago.

[quote name='shotgunshine']I would directly link the picture but not sure if people want to see this...dont click this if your squeamish.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/11/...ey-beltran-horrific-broken-toe-image-mma-news

How the hell did his toe break like that?

Edit: This is how the injury happened. "The injury happened when Anthony attempted a routine takedown and his toe got stuck in/between 2 mats"[/QUOTE]

Holy shit! That's like "a few more seconds of pressure and it's ripped off" broken. Wow! Freaking gruesome!

Bigfoot just "knocked out" Travis Browne a couple months ago after Browne's knee blew out on him. Overeem is going to knock him out, wake him up and murder him again though.

I agree, I am hoping that Overeem and JDS both win so we can see a true stand-up battle. I am sure Overeem will win but the JDS match is a toss up in my eyes.

Shane Carwin is out with a knee injury so his bout with Roy Nelson isn't happening now and Gray Maynard had to pull out of his fight with Joe Lauzon and is being replaced by Jim Miller.I think its pretty darn safe to say worst year for the UFC regarding injuries.

Wow, late breaking news on those injuries. Miller/Lauzon is a good fight especially considering Miller has been looking shot but I wonder who Nelson fights now? Hmm...

I'd like to see Kongo step up and take the fight.Right now hes the only healthy guy that I can think of near that level that doesn't already have a fight.

Edit:Seems Matt Mitirone stepped up and took the bout.Not too bad for a replacement bout.Before the loss to Kongo Meathead actually had a good bit of hype and was the most improved fighter from TUF 10.Still likely not good enough to beat Nelson but could be worse.

Found this a little funny on cagepotato.Looks like Jenna is wanting to move on to another MMA fighter,looking to get with the one with the belt it seems even though Jones is married.Not that it would stop Jones though,afterall did have two girls in the back of his bentley when he had his DUI.
Jones_Jenna_Vegas.png

tito_single.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Mitrione has never impressed me one bit. Nelson can knock him out but if he's smart (I don't know if he wants to be this time...) he will take Mitrione down and sink an easy 1st round sub.

Damn...nice fight from GSP tonight. I was worried when Carlos landed that kick, but Georges did a good job covering up and avoiding further damage. Then he straight up dominated Condit the rest of that round (that slam was especially awesome). After the way that round ended, to me it looked like Condit was afraid to be taken down and was much more conservative with his striking (which wound up not helping anyway). And GSP jsut destroyed him on the ground. Fight wasn't even close there.

I really hope GSP doesn't cave in to the Anderson Silva pressure though. As I've said before, he's got fights with Nick Diaz and Rory McDonald to look ahead to...and definitely Johnny Hendricks becomes a serious contender (not to mention a very interesting match up for GSP) after tonight's demolishing of Kampmann. GSP has no reason to go anywhere. Silva is the one with few options and turning down the ones he does have (Weidman).

He doesn't want to fight Rory but fights with Diaz/Maia are somewhat interesting. That being said they can only win by submission and only are "interesting" because of their amazing BJJ skills. Condit is great on the ground but isn't as good as Diaz/Maia on the ground, so if Condit was threatening with little stuff here and there Diaz/Maia might be able to sink and finish something.

Hendricks should get his shot soon but I think he gets beat by GSP based off rasslin'. Hendricks could 1PKO him and is a good wrestler, but GSP is going to shoot immediately and grind it out there.

I could see Diaz posing some problems in the stand up at times although do think GSP being the smart fighter he is wouldn't stay in front of him and would impose a good strategy to avoid being in pocket with Diaz to win the stand up for while he was there with him.

Hendricks seems like the best choice both being on the same card and Hendrick's last four wins coming off Kampmann,Koscheck,Fitch and Pierce although was a bit of a bad call against Pierce and personally I thought Koscheck beat him but I realize I'm more in the minority over that one.Still though hes got wrestling and some power and the record so why not.

Was great to see GSP again and he looked as great as ever.Even seemed eager to try to get a finish in front of the Canadian crowd even though it never happened.

Carmont and Bocek were disappointing tonight.I thought Lawlor won the fight from controlling where it went and from Carmont's lack of activity so gave two rounds to Lawlor and was bored so didn't watch all of the 3rd.

Bocek is established as a mid-level guy at best but Dos Anjos has been impressing me. I think he has really improved a lot lately and his counter-wrestling in particular has gotten so much better.

[quote name='Magiblaze']Carmont and Bocek were disappointing tonight.I thought Lawlor won the fight from controlling where it went and from Carmont's lack of activity so gave two rounds to Lawlor and was bored so didn't watch all of the 3rd.[/QUOTE]

Ya that fight was extremely boring. Even Dana tweeted that "they both lost that fight."

bread's done
Back