MMA (UFC, Strikeforce, Bellator, Invicta, etc.) Discussion Thread -- Version II

Anderson Silva -185 to Georges St-Pierre's +150.

St-Pierre is crazy to bow down to Zuffa's wishes. At 170, 175, 178, it doesn't matter. Silva will hurt and finish him. As a GSP fan, this is worrisome because I already question his mental stability. As a bettor, I'll piece together parlays for Silva and St-Pierre, like I did with Condit and St-Pierre, and will look to fade GSP in his subsequent fight after he loses to Silva.

"Next month's UFC on FOX 5 prelims will air on FX and Facebook, not FUEL TV."

Nice! Lets get rid of the Fuel broadcasts altogether please.

[quote name='Chase']Anderson Silva -185 to Georges St-Pierre's +150.

St-Pierre is crazy to bow down to Zuffa's wishes. At 170, 175, 178, it doesn't matter. Silva will hurt and finish him. As a GSP fan, this is worrisome because I already question his mental stability. As a bettor, I'll piece together parlays for Silva and St-Pierre, like I did with Condit and St-Pierre, and will look to fade GSP in his subsequent fight after he loses to Silva.[/QUOTE]

I seriously question if the fight will happen because GSP is adamant on fighting the chance of...fighting Anderson. Just because there are odds doesn't mean it is going to happen; Cyborg/Rousey odds are also out but that fight is nowhere near happening.

Also, if GSP/Silva did happen I would sell a kidney, take out a loan and rob homeless people to bet on Anderson. Afterwards I'll be so rich I can just buy another kidney, pay back the loan and give back the homeless people's money and still have enough leftover for a new house.

YES! Too bad nobody plays the game online (last I checked it was small community) and I don't even know if they fixed a bunch of the exploits in the game (I haven't played in months).

Can't wait for this Saturday. UFC card is sick. Plus its on free tv. Who do yall think is going to win between Ben Henderson and Nate Diaz?

I think Benson will win. He's my favorite fighter, though I was hugely disappointed in his last fight. Still, I think he's a very smart fighter and he'll take the fight in a decision. I really think he needs to start trying to finish fights in the UFC if he ever wants to generate a fanbase, but I don't think Nate Diaz is a good guy to try and finish.

I'm hoping Ben is able to overpower and control Diaz in the clinch and on the ground.

Hoping for a Nate Diaz win. Used to dislike his personality, but he and his brother have finally grown on me. Benson is probably going to try and keep Nick away with jabs and random strikes all night.

Nate has some pretty sweet BJJ so we'll see.

What I want: Diaz by KO R2.
What will happen: Bendo by UD.

I also desire:
Me Gusta over Shogun
McDonald over Penn
Siver over Phan
Jorgensen over Albert.

Rest of the fights I'm only hoping for anything that doesn't end in a DQ, Draw or Decision.

Last edited by a moderator:
I keep going back and forth on Henderson-Diaz. I can see it going either way. If Ben wins, its more then likely going to be a decision. I could see Nate catching him in a sub. As of now, i'm picking Diaz but I'll probably change my mind several times before Saturday. It's going to be a fun fight.

I think Gustafsson is going to beat Shogun pretty easy and take a UD.

I like Macdonald to take a dominating UD over Penn. It'll probably be the same with most of Penn's fights. He'll look good in the first, fade then Rory will beat him up the rest of the fight.

I also got Swick over Brown by first round KO...could just as easily be a sub.

[quote name='Maklershed']Dana White says GSPs next fight will probably be Nick Diaz[/QUOTE]

Dana White says a lot of things. We all remember his Women's MMA stance before he got Ronda Rousey in bed.

Since Ben Henderson, Shogun, and BJ Penn are three of my favorite fighter (With Shogun being my favorite all time fighter) I'm pulling for them to win. However, out of the three I'm really only confident that Bendo will beat Diaz by UD. :cry:

[quote name='Maklershed']UFC Undisputed 3 just dropped to $14.99 on Amazon

PS3

360 [/QUOTE]

It's back up to $25 for PS3 and $27 for 360.

Excited for tonight's card! And not just because its free. I hope BJ Penn doesn't sneeze to hard in the next 5 hours and throws out his back.

Henderson - Diaz
Rua - Gustaffson
Penn - McDonald
Swick - Brown

Rooting for Nam Phan and Ramsey on the undercard as well.:boxing:

[quote name='shotgunshine']Good call on Swick, Krakrabbit...he looked awful out there. I underestimated Brown.[/QUOTE]

He looked horrible at the weigh-ins and didn't look any different today.

Dave Meltzer seemed relatively obsessed with the idea that he is a lot sicker than we think and probably shouldn't even be fighting.

Benson making Diaz look bad in this. Doesn't help Diaz wants this to stay on the ground where he's still getting punished.

Good god. Striking 122-17 Benson?

Oh Nate was flipping the bird alot. That explains the sudden and frequent cuts in the main event tonight.

EDIT: Don't know which Benson move I liked better: the Facebuster slam or the surprise high kick from behind. Diaz got his ass kicked but still a resilient motherfucker.

[quote name='ced']Oh Nate was flipping the bird alot. That explains the sudden and frequent cuts in the main event tonight.

EDIT: Don't know which Benson move I liked better: the Facebuster slam or the surprise high kick from behind. Diaz got his ass kicked but still a resilient motherfucker.[/QUOTE]

Wow...seriously? If that's why they kept cutting to a wide shot, Dana needs to bury his ass on the undercard. It's already pathetic that he continues to taunt his opponent while he's getting his ass kicked. I loved when he threw his arms out like "hit me" and Benson dropped his ass. I jsut can't ever find a single thing to like about the Diaz boys. They're like the purest form of trash on the planet, lol.

[quote name='MrNEWZ']Dave Meltzer seemed relatively obsessed with the idea that he is a lot sicker than we think and probably shouldn't even be fighting.[/QUOTE]
I agree with it.I picked Brown as well via TKO/KO and a lot of it had to due with how horrible Swick looked in his last fight, he was rocked twice and almost subbed.Truthfully he had a bit of luck in the last fight,he hasn't made a full recovery from his illness and it seems like he never will be able to.Went 7 out of 11 overall so an okish night.I think I might have won BJ Penn's autograph from a contest for picking the main card but won't know for sure until tomorrow.Got all of the main card right,just went with R1 for Brown instead of R2.

Nate Diaz kept taunting Henderson, motioning him to come forward and initiate. Unfortunately for Nate, he was losing and Henderson isn't the one that needed to press the action.

[quote name='TTGSteve']Nate Diaz kept taunting Henderson, motioning him to come forward and initiate. Unfortunately for Nate, he was losing and Henderson isn't the one that needed to press the action.[/QUOTE]

Benson got onto the ground and whooped Diaz and that's where most people thought Nate would take the match. Henderson escaped all of Nate's sub attempts and punished him every time. Nate's antics were a last ditch effort to try to catch Bendo off guard for a flash sub. Like you said though, Hendo didn't need motivation to engage.

Swick shouldn't be fighting and I think it is entirely possible that he really is still being plauged in some way by illness or is simply damaged beyond repair from his illness. The guy is obviously not the same as he used to be at all and not only does he look worse, but he fights 100x worse then ever.

As far as the rest of the card, Bendo barely let Diaz go to a decision (I picked Diaz sub or Bendo decision) and looked very impressive. Gustafsson could have stopped Rua but didn't pull the trigger, which was unfortunate. Luckily for me Rory didn't finish off Penn but I think he could have EASILY done so in the second round. With about 2 minutes left in the round, he could have thrown a few more shots and let the ref step in when Penn hit the floor from body shots.

nbkh4.jpg

Benson looked extremely impressive, he did pretty much exactly what I wanted him to do. (Overpower Diaz in the clinch and on the ground). Except for the Frankie Edgar rematch, Benson has looked great in the UFC. I really liked his grey walk-out shirt too, I may need to add a 3rd Benson shirt to my wardrobe.

As for the Diaz antics, they're definitely not surprising, and I didn't mind them too much. Obviously it looks stupid when you taunt your opponent while you're getting your ass kicked, but that's just Nate Diaz.

I think Bendo has proved since the Jim Miller fight that he's just fucking massive compared to other lightweights. He almost looks like he's in a different weight class when you compare him to Miller, Edgar and Diaz. His legs are like fucking tree trunks.

Really looking forward to seeing him fight the winner of Pettis vs. Cerrone.

[quote name='PimpLimp']I think Bendo has proved since the Jim Miller fight that he's just fucking massive compared to other lightweights. He almost looks like he's in a different weight class when you compare him to Miller, Edgar and Diaz. His legs are like fucking tree trunks.

Really looking forward to seeing him fight the winner of Pettis vs. Cerrone.[/QUOTE]

Pettis is the guy who scares me the most, for obvious reasons.

[quote name='tylerh1701']Pettis is the guy who scares me the most, for obvious reasons.[/QUOTE]Yeah but you just know Henderson wants to avenge that loss though. Makes for the most entertaining fight too.

On a side note, I really like the makings of a Gustafsson vs. Jones title fight. As a pretty big Gustafsson fan I want him to get some more experience before challenging Jones but if Jones can beat Sonnen, I don't really see anyone else in line before him.

The 49ers vs Seahawks week 16 game got flexed to Sunday night. So the next two Sunday night football games will be 49ers at Patriots and then 49ers at Seahawks

Check out my picks for UFC on FX 6 at Sherdog MMA Pick 'Em http://$$$$$$$/TZJsGF

Check out my picks for UFC - TUF 16 Finale at Sherdog MMA Pick 'Em http://$$$$$$$/VG6WwA

:whee:

EDIT: hmm is bitly a banned url or something?

God bless you Maklershed.I would've never looked to press the "Next" button to get picks on with two events today and would have been left having only filled on the Smashes card without you.With only an hour to spare too lol.I see you listed as someone whos shared your picks on twitter and see em at this link http://fantasy.sherdog.com/share/event_picks/30400381.Pretty good picks, although I like Varner better,just because Guililard is just a horrible IQ fighter and Roy in his fight as well.Although I could see Mitirione managing to win the rounds against Nelson in a decision using his footwork.I don't remember the last time any fighter's hype was killed as fast as Mitirione's in that decision loss that could have went either way with Kongo.

I know Nick Diaz has been back in the UFC for a while, but it still amazes me that the UFC keeps re-signing him. He was kicked out for how he behaved before, but they re-signed him anyway. He attacked Joe Riggs at a hospital for crying out loud!!!

It must really suck to be Johnny Hendricks right now. Apparently he respects UFC too much or doesn't smoke enough weed.

[quote name='icp_00_111']Teixeira vs. Jackson scheduled for UFC on Fox 6 in January. It would be interesting to see Rampage leave the UFC on a win.[/QUOTE]

I got tickets for UFC on Fox 6 so I'm extremely pumped for this fight.

[quote name='Metal Militia']I got tickets for UFC on Fox 6 so I'm extremely pumped for this fight.[/QUOTE]

Looks like a pretty good card, Pettis/Cerrone should be a heck of a fight too. Dana put on some good stand-up matches for the Fox card which is a good idea to gain casual fans.

So the UFC has officially given Eddie Alvarez a contract offer and now Bellator has two weeks to decide if they want to match it or let Eddie walk. The UFC lightweight division is already pretty loaded and when Gilbert Melendez comes over from Strikeforce and if Eddie comes along that division will be stacked. BJ Penn should come back down to lightweight as well cause he is an undersized welterweight.

Also Eddie Alvarez took a shot at Gilbert Melendez on Twitter on the topic of Melendez calling out Benson Henderson saying

"Why does Gil .M continue to call out people He knows he cant fight. Hes like the HS cheerleader who wants to s*** off every new QB.

I don't think Gilbert Melendez will make as big of a splash as he thinks he will,doesn't strike me as the #2 best lightworld in the world.

Just read an interview with Jonathan Brookins.Apparently hes broke and had to sell his house and is moving to India.

[quote name='ced']It must really suck to be Johnny Hendricks right now. Apparently he respects UFC too much or doesn't smoke enough weed.[/QUOTE]

That guy continues to win me over. Bummer to see a guy with that type of attitude get the short end, hopefully it works out for him.

bread's done
Back