MMA (UFC, Strikeforce, Bellator, Invicta, etc.) Discussion Thread -- Version II

• Please log in to reply
811 replies to this topic

#571 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

7-1. Haha.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 September 2013 - 11:51 PM

thomson should have one more win imo, but i like the fight itself. I think pettis will bully thomson.

I agree that Thomson probably doesn't deserve a shot yet, but short of giving Bendo an instant rematch (which isn't happening) there's really nobody left to give the title shot to.  Melendez is booked, dos Anjos just fought, Jose Aldo is hurt, and Gray Maynard probably doesn't deserve it following a loss.

tylerh1701.png jTZR76M.png

Check out my CAG Blog! NEWEST POST (6/27/14): E3 Wrap Up - Nintendo & Final Thoughts

#572 Thekrakrabbit

Thekrakrabbit

Is Making A Comeback!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 September 2013 - 04:10 AM

Boxing is such a joke.

Days before CJ Ross's scorecard, money had moved on the "Mayweather-Alvarez ends in a draw" prop. Numerous articles for respected local publications (California, Nevada) wrote articles detailing the money movement.

When I heard Jimmy Lennon Jr. announce a "majority decision," I cracked the widest smile. Boxing is predictable like that. Apparently, the majority decision prop sat around +1500. I wouldn't be surprised if Ross bet that line knowing her fellow judges would give the fight to Mayweather (who obviously wasn't going to lose).

I have seen some people compare poor boxing judging to poor MMA judging. Such a stupid comparison. Have we ever seen numerous news outlets discuss and publish articles about a possible fix within any MMA fight within any MMA event? No. Corruption within boxing seems to go straight to the bone.

This reminds me of when I put money on Timothy Bradley to upset Manny Pacquiao. A day before the fight, a poster of Pacquiao-Bradley 2 leaked onto the Internet. Considering how corrupt boxing is, I put money on Bradley at around +300 (which is a moderate underdog). When they announced a split decision, I laughed my ass off because I knew I had won. That's boxing in the nutshell.

Very few people bet on majority decision, and "fight ends in a draw" I don't think would have won, since the fight wasn't a draw.

Check out @RealKrakrabbit - Twitter Page Full of News, Tidbits, etc., etc.

Also looking to make trades/sells to anyone who is interested. Check out my tradelist! :grouphug:

#573 Thekrakrabbit

Thekrakrabbit

Is Making A Comeback!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 September 2013 - 04:11 AM

I agree that Thomson probably doesn't deserve a shot yet, but short of giving Bendo an instant rematch (which isn't happening) there's really nobody left to give the title shot to.  Melendez is booked, dos Anjos just fought, Jose Aldo is hurt, and Gray Maynard probably doesn't deserve it following a loss.

Yeah, they've got somebody lined up for Pettis already I believe, based off reading between the lines of TJ Grant's tweets. But I don't know who it is, though. I don't care how struggling the division is for available challengers, it better not be Maynard.

Also looking to make trades/sells to anyone who is interested. Check out my tradelist! :grouphug:

#574 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

7-1. Haha.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:55 AM

Yeah, they've got somebody lined up for Pettis already I believe, based off reading between the lines of TJ Grant's tweets. But I don't know who it is, though. I don't care how struggling the division is for available challengers, it better not be Maynard.

Have you not heard?  It's confirmed to be Josh Thompson.

Check out my CAG Blog! NEWEST POST (6/27/14): E3 Wrap Up - Nintendo & Final Thoughts

#575 Thekrakrabbit

Thekrakrabbit

Is Making A Comeback!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:23 PM

Have you not heard?  It's confirmed to be Josh Thompson.

Ah, at the moment of posting I hadn't. A decent challenger, albeit one that has little chance to beat Pettis. Better grappler, better striker, Thomson will probably get outpointed if not submitted. He deserves it though, considering the state the division is in right now though and will pose to be decent enough until Grant gets his shot and probably Melendez after that.

#576 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

7-1. Haha.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:28 PM

Ah, at the moment of posting I hadn't. A decent challenger, albeit one that has little chance to beat Pettis. Better grappler, better striker, Thomson will probably get outpointed if not submitted. He deserves it though, considering the state the division is in right now though and will pose to be decent enough until Grant gets his shot and probably Melendez after that.

I don't think he'll win either, but it should be a good fight.  I would really like to see Pettis/Melendez.  I got to think Grant has lost his shot at this point, he'll have to earn it again.  I think he even sort of acknowledged that possibility on Twitter.

#577 paz9x

paz9x

Posted 19 September 2013 - 01:04 AM

Im pretty excited about condit/brown, if nothing it will be a fun fight.

"I am the Walrus" "Shut the Fuck up Donnie"

Posted Image

#578 Thekrakrabbit

Thekrakrabbit

Is Making A Comeback!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2013 - 02:06 AM

Brown is going to get decimated and, if Condit wants, he could pull guard and submit Brown. Worlds of difference here in skill.

#579 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

7-1. Haha.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2013 - 02:32 AM

I'm pulling for Brown, I hope it's at least an entertaining fight.  I'm not a huge Condit fan.

#580 Thekrakrabbit

Thekrakrabbit

Is Making A Comeback!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2013 - 11:32 PM

I'm pulling for Brown, I hope it's at least an entertaining fight.  I'm not a huge Condit fan.

I very much am a fan of NBK but as far as smart thinking goes, Brown is severely overmatched.

#581 Mega Man

Mega Man

SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 September 2013 - 04:38 AM

inb4 gustaffarson gets robbed

#582 Mega Man

Mega Man

SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 September 2013 - 04:40 AM

yup gotta love mma judges

#583 Thekrakrabbit

Thekrakrabbit

Is Making A Comeback!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 September 2013 - 05:13 AM

Not a robbery, sorry buddy. Jones won 4 (via stealing with the elbow), 5, and won one of the first 3 rounds as well. Gustafsson did a bit more damage, looked phenomenal in all aspects except conditioning, but he didn't win the fight. Just put up a great effort worthy of a rematch.

#584 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

7-1. Haha.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 September 2013 - 06:20 AM

Excellent fight, one of the best of the year.  Both the guys were totally gassed at the end.

Exactly what krakrabbit said, Jones definitely won 4 and 5.  He definitely won at least one of the rounds between 1-3, and even possibly 2. I can understand the 49-46 scorecard, even though I probably would have scored it 48-47 Jones.

Rest of the main card was pretty good.  Sweet kick by Barao.  I'm surprised Kabib won so handily, I'm curious to see who he'll fight next.

#585 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

7-1. Haha.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 September 2013 - 06:59 AM

Wow the outrage over the Jones/Gustafson scorecards is a lot bigger than I thought it would be, especially about the 49-46 scorecard.  I think a lot of that is just fueled by the hate for Jones.  Man, people really don't like that guy.  He's started to grow on me a little bit.

#586 bigpimpin24

bigpimpin24

Killamanjaro!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 September 2013 - 10:17 AM

Jones' biggest test to date. I really felt Alex won 1 and 2 and 3 was a toss up. Jones definitely won 4 and 5. Honestly fight of the year for me. Really close and Alex did a lot better than I actually expected. Jones' flashy style and spinning maneuvers weren't as dominant as in other fights. They helped him win the fight and I really thought he was going to finish in the 4th. That spinning elbow followed by the knee and combinations was absolutely beautiful. Props to Mauler for surviving. I don't know if Glover will do that good. You gotta figure Jones is gonna go back and work even more now that he actually was challenged. Excellent fight and definitely my fight of the year!

Posted Image
"War? War never changes.."

#587 Mega Man

Mega Man

SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 September 2013 - 02:17 PM

I think jones won 4 and 5 I guess 3 could have gone either way but 49-46? what

Would jones have the 4th if not for the last 20 seconds? Whatever when does anderson silva fight again that's all I care about anyways all my favorite pride fighters are retired or fighting on some unheard of japanese mma event

#588 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

7-1. Haha.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 September 2013 - 03:41 AM

Would jones have the 4th if not for the last 20 seconds? 

It would have been completely up in the air.  Jones stole the hell out of that round.  But to be fair, I really didn't think Alexander was going to make it out of the 4th.

#589 Mega Man

Mega Man

SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 September 2013 - 03:44 AM

Yeah alex thought it would be a good idea to start blocking elbows with his face and it obviously carried over to the 5th

#590 Dnipro Cojiro

Dnipro Cojiro

I hate this name now! AaAaAaA!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 September 2013 - 03:45 AM

I was late to see the latest Jon Jones fight, dammit that was an awesome fight. Haven't seen a bout that good in a long time.

I don't know if you guys know about this but, Rampage Jackson vs Roy Jones Jr? Wtf???

http://bleacherrepor...later-this-year

#591 Thekrakrabbit

Thekrakrabbit

Is Making A Comeback!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 September 2013 - 10:48 PM

It probably won't happen, fortunately. Rampage has an illustrious career ahead of him in Bellator now...

#592 Dnipro Cojiro

Dnipro Cojiro

I hate this name now! AaAaAaA!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 September 2013 - 03:27 AM

Found this randomly while searching youtube

http://youtu.be/R3SX-EWMMt4?t=2m30s

#593 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 September 2013 - 05:30 AM

Found this randomly while searching youtube

http://youtu.be/R3SX-EWMMt4?t=2m30s

Clearly, he was getting ahead of himself. Hopefully this "near scare" is enough to make Jones hungry again. Complacency can ruin any great athlete. Jones really needed to have that feeling of getting beat up and that he actually could lose. If that's what it takes to push him to the next level, and become the greatest MMA fighter of all time, then God bless Alexander Gustafsson for giving him that kind of fight. I'm a Jon Jones fan...but that fight made me a Gustafsson fan as well.

#594 bigpimpin24

bigpimpin24

Killamanjaro!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 October 2013 - 01:06 PM

Cain vs Dos Santos tonight!

Posted Image

#595 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

7-1. Haha.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 October 2013 - 07:30 PM

I'm excited to see Gil fight again.

#596 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 October 2013 - 04:58 AM

Sooo...what exactly did Junior learn from the 2nd fight? Because that might as well have been an instant replay. As pitiful as the heavyweight division is, (not sure why Rogan keeps talking about how strong it is considering Cormier and Nelson are leaving, Lesnar and Carwin retired, and Overeem and Mir are now a joke. Sure, you've got Barnett as a legitimate contender...but who else is there? Maybe Miocic...Travis Brown? Gabriel Gonzaga? lol) I really don't want to see Cain and JDS fight again. They just don't match up well at all and their fights are terrible.

It seemed like Junior's fight plan was to be patient and wait on Cain to slow down...which actually seemed like it was working, as Junior was getting separation easier in the 2nd and 3rd round. But then he just totally underestimates Cain's striking, leaves his hands down, and gets clocked...again. And then, yep...all the conditioning in the world goes out the window because suddenly you're a walking corpse. Then, what really pissed me off is it seemed like Cain went into "ride it out" mode again. He threw big shots to get Junior on the brink of being KO'd...and then he lays on him and throws knees to the thigh.

If you felt good enough about your boxing against his when he was still fresh, why are you going to be all hesitant when he's so scrambled he thinks you're a big fluffy bunny standing in front of him? Sure, Cain got the stoppage, but I feel like that was gifted to him at that point. Just like in the 2nd fight, he should have ended it way before that. Once again, the heavies disappoint. I'll watch a John Dodson fight any day over that crap (which is saying a lot because Dodson annoyed the shit out of me on TUF...but I love his work ethic and his approach to fighting).

#597 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

7-1. Haha.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 October 2013 - 03:29 PM

It seemed like Junior's fight plan was to be patient and wait on Cain to slow down...which actually seemed like it was working, as Junior was getting separation easier in the 2nd and 3rd round. But then he just totally underestimates Cain's striking, leaves his hands down, and gets clocked...again. And then, yep...all the conditioning in the world goes out the window because suddenly you're a walking corpse. Then, what really pissed me off is it seemed like Cain went into "ride it out" mode again. He threw big shots to get Junior on the brink of being KO'd...and then he lays on him and throws knees to the thigh.

If you felt good enough about your boxing against his when he was still fresh, why are you going to be all hesitant when he's so scrambled he thinks you're a big fluffy bunny standing in front of him? Sure, Cain got the stoppage, but I feel like that was gifted to him at that point. Just like in the 2nd fight, he should have ended it way before that. Once again, the heavies disappoint. I'll watch a John Dodson fight any day over that crap (which is saying a lot because Dodson annoyed the shit out of me on TUF...but I love his work ethic and his approach to fighting).

Took the words right out of my mouth.  I was trying to explain this to a friend via text last night but it didn't come out nearly as well.  But yeah, it was absolutely just a replay of the 2nd fight, which is pretty much what I expected because JDS proved that he had nothing to counter against Cain's talents.  It's a terrible matchup for him, and despite the complete lack of talent in the division, I really hope they don't fight again.

And Cain absolutely went into "ride it out" mode.  I understand JDS is crazy powerful but I think Cain could have easily finished much earlier if he would have stayed separated from JDS and landed punches.

I don't think the fight was terrible, but JDS beating Cain the first time was basically a fluke and I hope everyone can see that now.

As for the Gil fight that I was most excited to see......I missed it because some of my stupid friends said it was on at the bar and it wasn't. Apparently it was an amazing fight, too.  I got home just in time to see the post fight interviews.  Fuck I was pissed!

#598 bigpimpin24

bigpimpin24

Killamanjaro!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 October 2013 - 11:04 PM

I'll just leave this epicness here

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=rbp97jyYOK8

Posted Image

#599 bigpimpin24

bigpimpin24

Killamanjaro!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 October 2013 - 11:28 PM

Machida looked very good at 185 this weekend. With him staying at 185 I wonder if that means Anderson is going to move up or if he's simply just going to retire; regardless of the outcome of his fight with Weidman. I know Machida and Silva said they would never fight each other but it was something I always wanted to see. This should be interesting!

Posted Image

#600 Thekrakrabbit

Thekrakrabbit

Is Making A Comeback!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 October 2013 - 05:08 AM

Machida said he would fight Anderson on a title run.