Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

MMA (UFC, Strikeforce, Bellator, Invicta, etc.) Discussion Thread -- Version II

• Please log in to reply
908 replies to this topic

#631 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

Intensely attracted to severe personality problems.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2013 - 05:59 PM

I missed all but the end of it.  Damn it!

tylerh1701.png jTZR76M.png

Check out my CAG Blog!

#632 Chase

Chase

Posted 12 December 2013 - 03:06 AM

UFC gutted Invicta today.

http://mmajunkie.com...on-with-tuf-20/

Such a shame that Invicta has lost money due to streaming issues. I consider/considered them the UFC's only competition. Tecia Torres will probably win whatever TUF that is. She is a beast. Jojo Calderwood is an adept striker but got a bit exposed this past Saturday.

#633 blueweltall

blueweltall

Kill the Batman

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 December 2013 - 08:01 PM

GSP is vacating his belt.

#634 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 December 2013 - 08:14 PM

GSP is vacating his belt.

Wow...he must really be messed up mentally. I at least give him credit for doing this the right way...and it sets a good precedent for the sport moving forward. If you don't want to defend the belt at least once every 6 months, vacate the belt. If you want to take a year off, fine. Go on vacation. Spend time with your family. Have a great time. But you're not the champion anymore. Being injured is different...but just choosing to not defend, you're screwing with other guys' opportunities.

Maybe GSP just doesn't want to see what happened to Anderson Silva happen to him...to reach such a level of apathy that you basically just allow yourself to get knocked out. Not to discredit Chris Weidman, but I think everyone can agree that wasn't the best Anderson Silva out there.

Seems like a great freaking documentary opportunity here. Call it "Weight of the Crown" or something like that. I can't be the only one seeing a lot of parallels between Silva and GSP...which is especially ironic considering everybody wanted the two of them to fight. Pretty sure that will never happen now.

#635 whodoneit

whodoneit

Posted 13 December 2013 - 08:21 PM

hendricks vs lawler in dallas it seems. condit will probably get the next shot if he beat brown.

#636 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 December 2013 - 08:24 PM

Agreed that he did it the right way (assuming it was him deciding to vacate the belt and not the UFC forcing him to).  I think any voluntary leave of absence of 6 months or more should definitely be an automatic vacate.  I'd like to see 12 months be the time limit on injuries before an interim title is established and after 18 months of injuries belt be completely vacated.

Check out my CAG Blog!

#637 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 December 2013 - 09:45 PM

Agreed that he did it the right way (assuming it was him deciding to vacate the belt and not the UFC forcing him to).  I think any voluntary leave of absence of 6 months or more should definitely be an automatic vacate.  I'd like to see 12 months be the time limit on injuries before an interim title is established and after 18 months of injuries belt be completely vacated.

That timetable is exactly what I think too. There should be an expecation of the belt being defended once every 6 months. If you get hurt, you get another 6 months to recover. If you're still not ready, then an interim belt is established. And if 18 months after your last defense, you're still not ready...then I'm sorry, the show must go on. Dominick Cruz is wasting the last good years of Urijah Faber's prime right now...and it's not fair.

#638 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2013 - 02:08 AM

It's none of my (or anyone else's) business, but I can't help but wonder what is going on in GSP's life that has frazzled him so much.

Check out my CAG Blog!

#639 blueweltall

blueweltall

Kill the Batman

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2013 - 08:55 AM

I'm surprised that the UFC didn't stripped Cruz belt yet. That guy is just stalling the division.

#640 bigpimpin24

bigpimpin24

Killamanjaro!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2013 - 10:42 AM

GSP vacating the belt definitely opens up a lot more interesting matches. Not taking anything away from GSP because he is a great tactical fighter but there's a bunch of guys out there that make really good match ups. Those fighters automatically don't look so great when put up against GSP because of his great talent and neutralizing them (takedowns/wrestling) It's crazy to see Lawler in the title mix after his previous run in the UFC not being so exciting as this past one has been. I can definitely see Condit capturing the belt despite his previous run with Hendricks. It's something I look forward to happening, actually.

Posted Image
"War? War never changes.."

#641 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2013 - 07:11 PM

GSP vacating the belt definitely opens up a lot more interesting matches. Not taking anything away from GSP because he is a great tactical fighter but there's a bunch of guys out there that make really good match ups. Those fighters automatically don't look so great when put up against GSP because of his great talent and neutralizing them (takedowns/wrestling) It's crazy to see Lawler in the title mix after his previous run in the UFC not being so exciting as this past one has been. I can definitely see Condit capturing the belt despite his previous run with Hendricks. It's something I look forward to happening, actually.

I'm a huge GSP fan...but I've always said, I hate when belts never change hands. I can appreciate and enjoy when a guy holds a belt long enough to create a legacy (Jon Jones is getting into this territory now)...but after that, it just loses its luster and makes the division boring. When BJ Penn, GSP, and Anderson Silva were dominating at the same time, it was one of the most boring times for the UFC (especially considering they only had 5 weight classes then). It was so boring, people actually convinced themselves that Brock Lesnar was a good fighter, lol. Man, different times.

#642 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2013 - 02:38 AM

Annnnd...that's why Dominick Cruz should have been stripped of his belt a year ago. That could have been a title fight. Urijah looked amazing. Love the way he was all over McDonald at the end. He wasn't going to let that opportunity get away. So great to see a fighter fight to the most of his ability.

#643 paz9x

paz9x

Posted 15 December 2013 - 04:13 AM

Very good co and main. the co was a better fight, but holy cow whoever had odds on that main, wow.

"I am the Walrus" "Shut the Fuck up Donnie"

Posted Image

#644 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2013 - 06:42 AM

Mendes looked real bad.  Guess he was pretty sick but man he didn't look like himself at all.

Faber's one of the all time greats.  I love watching him.

Was shocked to see DJ knock out Benavidez.  Mighty Mouse continues to grow on me.

Barbosa/Castillo was the most interesting fight of the night.  I thought Barboza was done for sure.  I also definitely thought it should have been a draw.  First round was an easy 10-8 in my book.

Check out my CAG Blog!

#645 bigpimpin24

bigpimpin24

Killamanjaro!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2013 - 12:50 PM

Dana White sure is quick to go to work. He offered Diaz to fight Condit for a rematch after FOX 9 tonight and Diaz ended up declining. I don't know if that's something I would like to see again. I was seriously looking forward to Brown v Condit seeing as Brown's striking has been looking top notch. That fight for Brown was also gonna be a definite step up in competition and I wanted to see how he would do against a top tier guy.

Crazy to think Silva v Weidman II is just two weeks away! I'm pretty pumped for that fight. Also interested in seeing Browne v Barnett. Rousey v Tate II is ehh. I ended up missing the TUF Finale interview between the two but apparently it made Rousey come off as even more as a bitch/bully than the season (which I also did not watch) Should definitely be a good card to close out the year, though.

Posted Image
"War? War never changes.."

#646 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2013 - 06:41 PM

The Rousey/Tate thing...it just wasn't a good situation for Ronda. She's an emotional person...and she genuinely doesn't like Miesha. So, in the realm of reality TV, whoever can act more like a robot is going to come out cleaner. It's also a little misleading because Miesha and her team were doing things to instigate drama pretty much all season. They were pulling pranks and antagonizing a lunatic (Ronda's striking coach).

Ronda definitely didn't handle it the utmost amount of class, but it's not like it was completely one sided. She would honestly be best served to come out, apologize, and tell everyone that she's too competitive to be that close to her competition and it brought out a catty side of her. She's the champion and is supposed to be the face of Women's MMA. I know she gave some explanation of being obsessed with her team...but she did it while also taking another shot at Miesha (only caring about how her hair looked). Seems like Ronda's been spending too much time with the Diaz brothers and it's rubbing off, lol.

#647 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 December 2013 - 06:01 AM

Pretty big fight tomorrow night.  I'm pulling for Silva. 

Check out my CAG Blog!

#648 bobo2k4

bobo2k4

OooSplendiforous

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 December 2013 - 10:17 AM

Pretty big fight tomorrow night.  I'm pulling for Silva. 

Should be some great fights. Silva is going to be at 100% tomorrow. He really embarrassed himself last time.

Posted Image
Props to Ozzkev for the sig.

#649 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 December 2013 - 08:54 PM

My biggest question is whether or not Silva will actually care enough to take this fight seriously. Also, I hope Weidman isn't dumb enough to try to stand with him again. Sure, he caught him last time, but against top form Anderson Silva, his best chance is still taking him down.

I'm also hoping Josh Barnett is on top of his game. He's really the only legitimate challenger to Cain's belt. Just hope he can do it with clean piss, lol.

And as long as Ronda doesn't let her emotions get the best of her, she should be fine. Personally, I'll be shocked if Miesha can keep her back off the mat.

#650 fatmanforlife99

fatmanforlife99

I need a weapon.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 December 2013 - 11:23 PM

Pretty cool for the hardcore fans. http://www.mmamania....-new-fight-pass

There are those who said this day would never come. What are they to say now?

#651 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 December 2013 - 05:00 AM

Damn was hoping meisha could pull off a miracle. Hate Ronda.

Check out my CAG Blog!

#652 Yagami

Yagami

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 December 2013 - 05:02 AM

Ditto, was cheering for Meisha the whole time. I can see alot of improvement on her part (and unf, Ronda's too)

She looked like she hit her hard with that upkick. I was like woo finish her!

#653 blueweltall

blueweltall

Kill the Batman

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 December 2013 - 05:24 AM

That was gross.

#654 paz9x

paz9x

Posted 29 December 2013 - 05:30 AM

what a bummer

"I am the Walrus" "Shut the Fuck up Donnie"

Posted Image

#655 Mega Man

Mega Man

SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 December 2013 - 05:32 AM

rip anderson's career =[

#656 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 December 2013 - 05:34 AM

Quite unsatisfying.

Check out my CAG Blog!

#657 Mega Man

Mega Man

SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 December 2013 - 05:44 AM

Anderson is yelling at the top of his lungs on the stretcher backstage. I've never heard anything like that. A horrible sound.

#658 whodoneit

whodoneit

Posted 29 December 2013 - 05:48 AM

rousy destroyed tate. that woman is scary. the anderson break was brutal. crazy ending to the fight year.

#659 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 December 2013 - 06:19 AM

All of the Ronda hate is hilarious. Such media manipulation. I'm not saying there weren't instances where Ronda showed poor form. But she thinks Miesha is fake and hates her for it. Why is this some shocking revelation about how women are? lol. The thing for me is does she act like that toward everybody? And I don't think she does.

Personally, I wish she was less emotional. Her letting Miesha get up numerous times was pure hubris and ego...and it was playing with fire. Miesha can land a punch just the same as Ronda can. I don't know. Maybe she wanted to see if she could take a shot and test herself the way Jon Jones did a few fights ago. Either way, she needs to keep working. Her cardio looked a little suspect and had her grappling not been light years ahead of Miesha's, that could have caused problems. Really glad she got the win though.

In other news, Chris Weidman is just one lucky guy. Not that he didn't deserve to win, but that guy just seems to catch all the breaks (wakka wakka). Chael Sonnen could have been champion in a very similar fashion 3 years ago...but he wasn't in the right place at the right time. Weidman just seems to be. Crazy world.

#660 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 December 2013 - 07:09 PM

One other point to raise on the Rousey - Tate craziness...for the most part, Miesha brought this on herself. Let's not forget back when Tate had the Strikeforce belt and Ronda was given the title shot, she said Ronda didn't deserve it and it wasn't justified. Then, even on TUF, she was talking shit saying Ronda didn't know how to hit pads. So, yeah...not terribly surprising that they don't get along and that Ronda had a point to prove. She basically beat her at her own game...and then still got the armbar.