MMA (UFC, Strikeforce, Bellator, Invicta, etc.) Discussion Thread -- Version II

• Please log in to reply
815 replies to this topic

#241 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:36 AM

Overeem is an arrogant Fuck. Send him back overseas so he can get back to juicing and jigging his pecs. Bigfoot just fucked up the Heavyweight ladder, lol. Don't know who gets Cain now.

#242 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:38 AM

Damn Reem had no respect for Bigfoots standup and he paid the price. That comeback reminded me of the Boestch/Okami fight

Sort of...except Bigfoot wasn't hurt anywhere near as much as Boestch was. He was just waiting for his chance to unload.

#243 gmsick

gmsick

SAY IT WITH YA CHEST

• Silenced

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:39 AM

bigfoots hands looked amazing in that 3rd round. reem got way too cocky and payed for it big time. very brutal & satisfying ko.

#244 Viol8tor

Viol8tor

Go Lakers!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:40 AM

I openly admit im a big Overeem fan, but i am absolutely LIVID right now. Disgusting performance. No respect for his opponent. That ass kicking is probably what he deserved for being an arrogant prick.

I'm so pissed off right now, lol. :wall:
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

#245 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:08 AM

Geez, that Evans / Lil Nog fight was terrible. It looked like neither guy wanted to be there. And people wonder why the lighter weight classes have become more exciting.

Looks like another one of Dana's plans got fucked up though. Can't imagine putting Rashad against Anderson Silva now.

#246 bobo2k4

bobo2k4

OooSplendiforous

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:25 AM

Geez, that Evans / Lil Nog fight was terrible. It looked like neither guy wanted to be there. And people wonder why the lighter weight classes have become more exciting.

Looks like another one of Dana's plans got fucked up though. Can't imagine putting Rashad against Anderson Silva now.

I knew this fight was going to suck. I started playing on my iphone waiting for it to be over.
Posted Image
Props to Ozzkev for the sig.

#247 gmsick

gmsick

SAY IT WITH YA CHEST

• Silenced

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:56 AM

edgar will be alright. he did well. aldo is just too solid

#248 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:05 AM

I'm a huge Frankie fan. He's like Jake Lamotta and Rocky rolled into one. But he definitely lost this fight. I thought both of the fights with Bendo were closer than this one. The way this fight started, I was really worried about Frankie at 145. But the way he finished, I think it's pretty clear he just needs to gameplan better. His gas tank is going to be his biggest weapon. For these ridiculously huge fighters who cut tons of weight, he's gotta figure out a way to just spend the first couple rounds wearing them out.

If he can take them down and grind on them, great. But if not, just make them fucking chase him around the cage. Don't even bother to engage. Just bait them into throwing lots of strikes and keep them moving. I feel like he could have had a better chance of winning if he hadn't taken so much punishment in those first two rounds. I honestly only had Frankie winning the 4th round. I thought Joe was being generous giving him the 5th. The 3rd and the 5th were very similar to me. Yeah, Frankie landed some shots, but Aldo was answering him with some good ones of his own.

I had Aldo with very clean wins in Rd 1 and Rd 2...and narrow wins in Rd 3 and Rd 5. I think Frankie could do ok at 145, and might even have a shot at beating Aldo in the future. But he can't just expect to rely on his natural abilities to do it. He's gotta become GSP like and have a plan for each round. I can't imagine how deflated he feels right now. 3 straight losses to guys who are just freakishly big and strong for their weight class. That freaking sucks, man.

#249 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

7-1. Haha.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:02 AM

I'm definitely pulling Frankie, I really like the guy. Aldo is super scary but I actually think Frankie will win. I agree with Metal Militia on the Evans and Overeem fights, but I'm pulling for Uncle Creepy, I think he can take Benavidez.

This is why I don't gamble. I would have gone 0-5 on the main card tonight. Ouch.

The Evans/Nog fight was a joke. Either they both went in with absolutely no strategy, or they went in with the exact same strategy. I've never been a big Evans fan, at this point I don't even think he's a serious challenger in the LHW division anymore.

I pretty much echo the sentiments about Overeem. What a disappointing performance.

I think n8's comment above me nailed Frankie Edgar to a tee. I feel bad for the guy, but if his strategy is going to scrap out fights and do his best to take it to a decision, then this is exactly what's going to happen all the time. n8 makes a great point that Frankie needs to wear out bigger opponents without taking so much damage. He really got beat up in those first 2 rounds. I actually gave 3 and 4 to Frankie, and thought the 5th could have gone either way. I thought this fight was closer than Edgar/Bendo 1.

All in all, I was a little bit underwhelmed with the main card tonight. I enjoyed the action in the FX prelims quite a bit more.

tylerh1701.png jTZR76M.png

Check out my CAG Blog! NEWEST POST (6/27/14): E3 Wrap Up - Nintendo & Final Thoughts

#250 Metal Militia

Metal Militia

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:10 AM

I was really disappointed in Rashad tonight. Did he only attempt 3 takedowns? :-?
Posted Image

#251 Viol8tor

Viol8tor

Go Lakers!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:42 AM

Blackzillians looking like a fake ass rap clan, pure hype.

Apparently Anthony Pettis wants to drop in weight class and get his title shot against Aldo. Sign me up, that sounds like a sick fight to me. Really no other match ups left in featherweight for Aldo get my attention.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

#252 icp_00_111

icp_00_111

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:19 PM

Pettis/Aldo is a very exciting fight, I am more excited about that one than Frankie because there is a great chance somebody is getting finished. Also, Aldo might not have the best kicks in this fight which is the first time I have seen that. Btw, last night was a weird ppv, Evans and Overeem was disappointing, Overeem should have won if he didn't act like a jackass so good for Bigfoot to pick up the win. Overeem is lucky that he did not have to get into the ring with Cain because it would have been worse, maybe now we will get the JDS/Overeem fight.

#253 shotgunshine

shotgunshine

The People's Champ

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:43 PM

I need to watch the main event again, sober. I had Edgar edging Aldo out, 3-2. No robbery or anything, and most seem to think Aldo won. Also, damn at Evans and Overeem. Awful performances by both of them. Overeem needed that to happen to him...he'll learn not to be overconfident and to show some respect for your opponent.

I did horrible on my picks on Sherdog. 0-4 on my boosts. 6-11 overall and I only went 2-3 on the main card(Aldo and Benavidez were the ones I got right)

jukeboxtimebomb.png

#254 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:51 PM

I need to watch the main event again, sober. I had Edgar edging Aldo out, 3-2. No robbery or anything, and most seem to think Aldo won. Also, damn at Evans and Overeem. Awful performances by both of them. Overeem needed that to happen to him...he'll learn not to be overconfident and to show some respect for your opponent.

I did horrible on my picks on Sherdog. 0-4 on my boosts. 6-11 overall and I only went 2-3 on the main card(Aldo and Benavidez were the ones I got right)

I guess the difference for me was that Frankie's wrestling felt non-existent compared to the Henderson fight. I know Aldo has great takedown defense, but the couple times Frankie did get him down, there just seemed to be no plan for keeping him there. I think that's where Frankie could wear out these bigger guys. He's proven he's strong enough to actually lift these guys up and slam them. So, if he spent the first round or two just grinding on them, it might keep him from getting into such a big hole to climb out of in the later rounds.

I'd almost tell Frankie to go train with Greg Jackson and GSP. Instead of trying to win the fight with what he does best, he needs to focus on what his opponent does worst (ala GSP). Who cares if you're a good striker if your opponent is a great striker? Frankie's physical talents are probably about at their peak. If he wants to reach that next level as a fighter, it's gotta be mental now. I still think he's good enough to beat Aldo, just like he was good enough to beat Henderson. He just has to make their key attributes work against them. Easier said than done, of course...but he's gotta figure something out before he starts to become the new Kenny Florian.

#255 MisterModest

MisterModest

Custom User Title

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:29 PM

Does Edgar get fired if he loses again? Four losses in a row, not a big draw...

#256 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:39 PM

Well...3 losses in a row in 3 titles fights. Not really a fair measurement of someone's "worth". If he was losing to Melvin Guillard or Clay Guida, then we could talk. In all honesty, the UFC needs to feed him an "easy" fight to help him build his confidence back up. If there's still a spot in the UFC for the likes of Matt Mitrione, Frankie Edgar sure as hell has a place.

#257 Magiblaze

Magiblaze

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:36 AM

I'm really surprised Overeem was beat like that.Felt like Alistair via R1 TKO/KO was a lock.Not to be like most people and say guys are overrated just because they lost one fight, but this really feels like a case of Overeem having been overrated.Possibly off the roids too :P.

#258 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:18 AM

I'm really surprised Overeem was beat like that.Felt like Alistair via R1 TKO/KO was a lock.Not to be like most people and say guys are overrated just because they lost one fight, but this really feels like a case of Overeem having been overrated.Possibly off the roids too :P.

Did you see the fight? He's not overrated. He's just full of himself. He was practically clowning in there against Silva. He had his hands down and was weaving around like he's Anderson Silva or something. If he hadn't fought like a damned idiot, he most likely would have won.

#259 Magiblaze

Magiblaze

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:29 AM

I did see the fight and do think hes overrated.He wasn't able to bully Bigfoot in the clinch and in the end his suspect chin came into play.Call it whatever you want, him being less shredded possibly off the PEDs or playing around,he didn't deserve to be considered as good as people thought he was.I was in the bandwagon and thought he was that good as well.

#260 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

7-1. Haha.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:37 AM

Blackzillians looking like a fake ass rap clan, pure hype.

Apparently Anthony Pettis wants to drop in weight class and get his title shot against Aldo. Sign me up, that sounds like a sick fight to me. Really no other match ups left in featherweight for Aldo get my attention.

I would love to see Aldo/Pettis, both because it should be a really good fight, and it gets one of the biggest threats to Bendo's title out of the division, even if it's just temporarily.

However, I don't think it's a great move for Pettis. I don't think he can beat Aldo, and would have a better shot at the Bendo/Melendez winner.

Here's Dana's response to a very similar question posed to him yesterday.

Check out my CAG Blog! NEWEST POST (6/27/14): E3 Wrap Up - Nintendo & Final Thoughts

#261 Ced

Ced

Monster Hustler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:00 AM

Two things to never expect from Dana's twitter feed: 1) Class and 2) A straight answer.

It sounds like Frankie's job is safe for the time being, but notice the only thing that Dana's response makes 100% certain is that Dana really wanted to Internet bitch slap the fool.
Posted Image

#262 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

7-1. Haha.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:25 AM

I love Dana White. Sometimes he can be a little overly crass, but he's honest and not afraid to call out people being stupid. And saying Frankie should be fired from the UFC is stupid. Last time I checked, the last 2 guys he lost to are generally considered 2 of the top 6 pound-for-pound best fighters in the UFC. Frankie himself is usually ranked in the top 10.

I wish commissioners like Roger Goddell and David Stern were more like Dana White.

#263 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:29 AM

Two things to never expect from Dana's twitter feed: 1) Class and 2) A straight answer.

It sounds like Frankie's job is safe for the time being, but notice the only thing that Dana's response makes 100% certain is that Dana really wanted to Internet bitch slap the fool.

Oh, come on. That's a pretty funny response. People take Dana too seriously. Yes, he's the president of the premiere MMA company in the world, but he's also a regular dude. When I read stuff like that, I just think of one of my buddies being a smartass. I'm guessing the idea of firing Frankie after 3 very close title fights is so ridiculous to Dana, he felt it deserved a ridiculous response. Like I said, what Frankie really needs is a cool down period. He needs regular fights, no high stress...no media all up in his face, so he can get back to doing what he does best. Just leave the kid alone for awhile.

#264 MisterModest

MisterModest

Custom User Title

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:19 AM

It's not just the losses, Edgar is not a good PPV draw. If he loses his next fight, especially if it's an "easy", "non-title" fight, then he's worthless as a draw.

#265 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:51 PM

It's not just the losses, Edgar is not a good PPV draw. If he loses his next fight, especially if it's an "easy", "non-title" fight, then he's worthless as a draw.

So that means he should be fired? Why do guys like Stefan Struve, Vladimir Matyushenko, Alan Belcher, etc. have jobs? That's just a ridiculous leap going from "not a good PPV draw" to "cut him!" He's just been under the lights for too long and you can see he's tired. Give the guy a break.

I always refer to him as the champion that nobody wanted. Going all the way back to when he beat BJ Penn the first time, he was scrutinized. That was 7 fights ago. 7 main events. What fighter wouldn't be exhausted after going through that? I'm sure Dana would agree that he's earned a break. He still hasn't been finished in a fight either. At least let the guy get knocked out before you toss him to the curb.

In other news, Anderson Silva's managers have said that Silva would fight GSP at a catchweight. That makes the fight a lot more interesting to me. At least now, Silva is giving something up. He'll still be the bigger fighter, but would at least have the potential of being drained from his cut too. That's a much different fight than when he was wanting GSP to come up to 185. Crazy how cooperative Anderson has been lately.

#266 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

7-1. Haha.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:07 PM

^In regards to Silva, my guess is that it has something to do with the rumors of the new contract the UFC is trying to get him to sign. Kind of sounds like Silva will finally play ball, for the right amount of money.

#267 MisterModest

MisterModest

Custom User Title

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:09 PM

So that means he should be fired? Why do guys like Stefan Struve, Vladimir Matyushenko, Alan Belcher, etc. have jobs?

Not being an ass, but none of those guys were PPV main eventers, and none of them have ever lost more than twice in a row. Struve has never had a loss followed by another loss, Matyushenko's recent loss to Bader was his first consectutive loss, and Belcher has only lost twice in a row once, back in 2005.

But look at someone like Joe Stevenson, 3 "Fight of the Night" honors, but after 4 losses in a row, he was out the door.

#268 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:03 PM

Not being an ass, but none of those guys were PPV main eventers, and none of them have ever lost more than twice in a row. Struve has never had a loss followed by another loss, Matyushenko's recent loss to Bader was his first consectutive loss, and Belcher has only lost twice in a row once, back in 2005.

But look at someone like Joe Stevenson, 3 "Fight of the Night" honors, but after 4 losses in a row, he was out the door.

This logic is so flawed I don't even know where to begin. Yes...none of those guys are main eventers. Neither is Joe Stevenson. So, you think a fighter goes directly from being a main eventer to being fired? You're not even going to give Frankie the chance to be a mid carder...or even a prelim fighter first? (ala Joe Stevenson) And you're not going to consider the level of the competition either? Yes, those other guys haven't lost three in a row...but they're not fighting top of the pound for pound rankings fighters either. Do you really not see the difference?

#269 MisterModest

MisterModest

Custom User Title

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:59 PM

This logic is so flawed I don't even know where to begin. Yes...none of those guys are main eventers. Neither is Joe Stevenson. So, you think a fighter goes directly from being a main eventer to being fired? You're not even going to give Frankie the chance to be a mid carder...or even a prelim fighter first? (ala Joe Stevenson) And you're not going to consider the level of the competition either? Yes, those other guys haven't lost three in a row...but they're not fighting top of the pound for pound rankings fighters either. Do you really not see the difference?

Stevenson was a main eventer. UFC 80.

My original post was just playing devil's advocate, asking a hypothetical question. UFC wants to make money, Edgar already is NOT a big money maker, if he's on a losing streak he is even less money. If he loses badly in his next fight, I say he should get fired. If he has a good fight, but still loses, yeah, they'll still keep him. But after that? A 5th loss in a row? He's gone.

#270 n8rockerasu

n8rockerasu

Shhh...I'm Invisible

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:44 AM

Stevenson was a main eventer. UFC 80.

How are you not seeing that this proves my point? UFC 80 was in 2008. He also fought in the main event against Diego Sanchez at UFC 95 (which was a pretty weak main event). But he never held a title, and he fought for 2.5 years after his last main event. He was given opportunity after opportunity against lesser skilled fighters before they canned him. He lost to George Sotiropoulos, Mac Danzig, Danny Castillo, and Javier Vazquez. When Edgar's losses become that pathetic, come talk to me.

My original post was just playing devil's advocate, asking a hypothetical question. UFC wants to make money, Edgar already is NOT a big money maker, if he's on a losing streak he is even less money. If he loses badly in his next fight, I say he should get fired. If he has a good fight, but still loses, yeah, they'll still keep him. But after that? A 5th loss in a row? He's gone.

I get that. I'm just saying, you're jumping the gun by quite a bit and the comparison is way off. It's almost as though your discrediting Edgar's skill just because he's lost 3 straight fights, while not even factoring in the skill level of his opponents. Put him up against the 4 guys that Stevenson lost to, and I promise you he murders all of them.

It's easy to criticize him when he's in the middle of a losing streak. Lets not forget that he beat BJ Penn twice and knocked out Gray Maynard. Give him some fights that aren't title shots against two of the best fighters in the world and let him prove his worth. There are a lot of guys in the UFC who can't beat Jose Aldo and Benson Henderson. It doesn't mean they need to be fired.