The Santa's Slay Wrestling Thread

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
509 replies to this topic

#421 pitfallharry219

pitfallharry219

It's go time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:59 PM

Cena promo was something that would barely pass inspection at a house show. Rock was never a favorite even during his prime and he's not doing much to change my mind now with his "IT'S ABOUT ELECTRIFYING THE PEOPLE!!!" routine. In contrast, Punk's cartoonish supervillain disdain for the people is also fucking stupid. It's at the point where I enjoy Ryback promos the most because he can barely do one, so it's over in 30 seconds.

LOL at Miz trying to do the figure four, then doing an interview after where he said he was going to keep working on it and going back and watching tapes and consulting with Ric Flair until he perfected it. Yeah, sure. To borrow from a LOP article comment, I "perfected" the figure four when I was 8 years old. In a bounce house.

I groaned when Ryback started off his promo with "Damn, my job is fun!".

#422 davo1224

davo1224

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:36 PM

My friend and I talked about how 3MB and Shield have too many similarities and proceeded to joke the entire night about how 3MB beat down The Rock.

#423 Vulcan2422

Vulcan2422

Sandwich Artist with the Mouth

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:56 PM

Maybe Ryback needs some more conditioning or to eat less. If you need to take a deep breath before every word, maybe you need to eat less or something. I just hate when he speaks.

Vulcan7905.png
Real Life Ice Hockey Stats: Goals - 20 Assists - 23 Penalty Minutes - 8

Granted I only played the demo of Chime, but how the heck do you get shit on by Chime?

#424 mykevermin

mykevermin

Queen of Scotland

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:39 PM

http://wallsofjerich...yone-right.html

Hope you're sitting down for this, but WWE is stepping up its anti-bullying campaign by joining the push for "No Name Calling Week." Yes, the same company that just last week ran a segment to close the show based around calling Paul Heyman "Twinkie Tits" and Vickie Guerrero and ugly hooker is going to tell people not to call people names. Yes, Vince, you and your guys have ALL THE MORAL AUTHORITY IN THE WORLD TO JOIN THIS CAMPAIGN.

In all seriousness, maybe Vince McMahon is a genius... a troll genius, that is. It's the only logical explanation for the disconnect between WWE's words and their actions at this point. If so, well done McMahon. Well done.

heh.
Posted Image

#425 neocisco

neocisco

I am Groot!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:56 PM

I finally finished watching last week's Impact and I have to say I enjoyed the ending. A's/8's had seemed to treading water for a while now and this should definitely help move them forward without having to do the big reveal and wrap things up.

Now playing (& watching):
:dvd:-Robot Chicken season 4
My tradelist:http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=116943
35bb9lx.gif

#426 mykevermin

mykevermin

Queen of Scotland

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:29 AM

I always prefer Taz as a heel - his goofy "goomba + nutsack jokes" face commentary grated my nerves. When he spoke as an expert, breaking down why moves were effective, I dug it - it lended credibility that Tenay couldn't offer. But man alive, he's not a good color guy.

Also, as much as I want D-Von to succeed in a singular role as well as Bully Ray has, revealing him as the leader of Aces and Eights was a big "<record scratching to a halt sound effect>" moment in terms of the group's relevance and momentum. This has the potential to shift it.
Posted Image

#427 Chase

Chase

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:46 AM

Maybe Ryback needs some more conditioning or to eat less. If you need to take a deep breath before every word, maybe you need to eat less or something. I just hate when he speaks.

I think it's safe to say most bodybuilders probably have poor cardio. Plus, having that much muscle requires a lot more oxygen. PEDs can't make someone a better athlete—and Ryback is definitely on something.

#428 HydroX

HydroX

Quintessential Studmuffin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:47 AM

I always prefer Taz as a heel - his goofy "goomba + nutsack jokes" face commentary grated my nerves. When he spoke as an expert, breaking down why moves were effective, I dug it - it lended credibility that Tenay couldn't offer. But man alive, he's not a good color guy.

Also, as much as I want D-Von to succeed in a singular role as well as Bully Ray has, revealing him as the leader of Aces and Eights was a big "<record scratching to a halt sound effect>" moment in terms of the group's relevance and momentum. This has the potential to shift it.

I may be wrong on this but D-Von was not revealed as the leader... he was revealed to be the Sgt. At Arms, and considering they are modeling this shit like it's a Sons of Anarchy clone, the Sgt. At Arms is more like a third in command. Above him would be the VP and President.
MLIFTgM.gif

#429 mykevermin

mykevermin

Queen of Scotland

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:50 AM

Fair enough, I've never watched that show or read Hunter S. Thompson's "Hells Angels," so I'm pretty clueless as to what the ranks actually mean. If you're right (and that's a good possibility), then they could be a bit better about explaining it.
Posted Image

#430 neocisco

neocisco

I am Groot!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:01 AM

Hydrox, you're right about D-Von being Sgt. at Arms. He's essentially been used as a field commander. They've referred to one of the still-masked guys as VP in the backstage segments so there are at least 2 more reveals that could happen.

Now playing (& watching):
:dvd:-Robot Chicken season 4
My tradelist:http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=116943
35bb9lx.gif

#431 HydroX

HydroX

Quintessential Studmuffin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:06 AM

It seems now they are just going to reveal the members, so they'll likely drag this out as long as humanly possible. While it's nice that they have dedication to an angle, there's no way the reveal will be as big as it's expected to be by the time it happens. People are already starting to get sick of it. Personally, I don't care either way as long as the Claire Lynch stuff isn't happening. Good Lord.
MLIFTgM.gif

#432 bhk

bhk

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:30 PM

Edit: Nope.

Edited by bhk, 23 January 2013 - 10:37 PM.

#433 kodave

kodave

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:00 PM

What's the current status of things like the DLC and online servers for WWE 13 now that THQ is essentially no more? Is the game dead in the water?

#434 Scorch

Scorch

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:21 PM

Looks like Take 2 will be getting/has already received the WWE license.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#435 Spyder187

Spyder187

Scratch & Sniff!

• Banned

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:32 PM

This is a great day for wrasslin game fans indeed.
Posted Image

i added a link to more wang pics.

#436 bhk

bhk

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:37 PM

Link: http://www.ign.com/a...red-by-take-two

#437 CaseyRyback

CaseyRyback

Your New Nightmare!

• Super Moderators

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:50 PM

Zen Davis is watching is one of the best tags I have ever seen on CAG.

Posted Image

#438 pitfallharry219

pitfallharry219

It's go time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:55 PM

:lol: I'm pretty sure he has another account. He was posting in the thread until I called him Zen Davis, and then he completely stopped.

http://www.cheapassg...er.php?u=355854

#439 guyver2077

guyver2077

CAG Original

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:31 AM

wow...

So did THQ stop all work after 13? Just wondering if Take 2 absorbs the engine, etc or if Take 2 have to start from scratch with a new developer?

1080i is for douchebags

#440 Aldogg

Aldogg

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:06 AM

I think this is just the publishing rights, Yukes I think is still working on WWE 14 I am willing to wager unless 2K is going to get a new developer and try to get a new title out within the next few months from scratch, unless there will be no WWE 14 and they are holding off for next gen, which I highly doubt but who knows.

#441 mykevermin

mykevermin

Queen of Scotland

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:07 AM

What's the current status of things like the DLC and online servers for WWE 13 now that THQ is essentially no more? Is the game dead in the water?

Well, the online servers were consistently *terrible* year after year for the WWE titles, so even if they shut down fully, it can't be much worse than the status quo.[/cranky]

We'll see what happens with the WWE license. Enjoy '13, since I'm gonna go out on a limb and say we'll see the next WWE game in late-2014. Sucks for WWE's financials; wonder if they're ever going to get their $$$ due them from THQ.

Zen Davis is watching is one of the best tags I have ever seen on CAG.

:rofl:

if Take 2 have to start from scratch with a new developer?

Even as someone who was suckered in by the Xbox WWF/E games, I still say *please* try something new. I'd rather see a solid engine with fewer options; Yuke's has made bigger games with more "busy" bullshit, but the core problems were never really addressed.

Take Two is a publisher, Yuke's is a developer. The former fronts the cost for the game, the latter makes the game. Think of the relationship as similar between publishers and authors in the book industry, or labels and bands in the record industry. One group puts up the financial risk, one group makes the end product. Take Two can continue to work with Yuke's easily enough*, I suppose - or they can shop around for another developer.

* Meh, there may be some contractual issues lingering I don't know about.
Posted Image

#442 dkreegz515

dkreegz515

Dave "Drama" Kreegz

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:43 AM

i like cm punk's whole "i hate everyone" thing... and i love the fact that he's not in on the shield. when everyone starts spouting out the rocks catch phrases, i love how punk calls them out on it. he's basically making fun of the entire wwe universe. he's still basically doing the whole "time for a change" thing still. its almost like he's begging for the whole PG thing to be lifted so he can really stand out. ala the attitude era.

mark my words one day the start of the show is gonna have a big giant disclaimer and cm punk will come out first... and there will be a giant pipebomb.

i think we are on the brink of a new era. could start after rumble or after wrestlemania, most likely mania.

as of now im still confused on the cm punk vs. rock for the title match... im not sure who will win... they can't have rock win... then defend vs. cena at mania... lose to cena... i mean it will get them a ton of publicity. ROCK is champ for 2 months... think of all the press they will get. and the craziest thoughts i've had.... rock beats punk.... cena wins Rumble, then cena beats rock for title........... then ziggler cashes in... and wins... thats my prediction.
Posted Image

#443 mykevermin

mykevermin

Queen of Scotland

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:08 AM

Punk bores me on the mic.

I read about Cena's promo being gaaaaaahd-awful this past Monday, so I went back to watch it. I have to admit I was taken in by it. But for the wrong reasons. It was a stream-of-consciousness so full of fail I was awestruck. I understand what he was trying to set up, but it fucking *failed* miserably. That said, it was very catchy in a car-wreck sense, waiting to see his next fall-flat clever phrase. I'd tune in to watch Cena flop on the mic for a few months.

But Punk doesn't work for me. He tries too hard to be a new kind of cool heel. The problem is that most of the stuff he says is *right* - which is just wrong wrong wrong for a heel. I find that he's (thematically) repetitive on the mic, and the things he says don't really make me react one way or another. He's not Randy Orton boring, but he's getting there.
Posted Image

#444 BlueSwim

BlueSwim

Tech-Gaming.com

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:11 AM

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=69&pictureid=2266
Menage a 3 - It's like Archie without the bullshit.

http://www.cheapassg...&pictureid=7899
Eerie Cuties - Vampires in high school. Don't worry, no sparkling.

Posted Image
Twitter - Bitter. Spiteful. Funky.

#445 davo1224

davo1224

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:11 AM

It makes no sense why they'd have the guy that pandered to little kids and women come out at 11PM. Why not have him in the first hour?

#446 mykevermin

mykevermin

Queen of Scotland

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:18 AM

One working theory is that they're deliberately shitting the bed on the third hour b/c hour #2 is now the time for selling the main stuff (i.e., they've accepted that hour #3 is when a lot of viewers tune out).

That's a little too conspiratorial for me (I don't think WWE would sabotage their own show that isn't called "WCW" or "ECW"), especially since I assume they hyped Cena coming out for the whole show, yes? So they wouldn't build up to a segment that intentionally seeks to get over like a fart in church.

I think they let Cena roll out there without a script and he failed. There's no way his schtick was written. Or worse yet, it was. ;) Not everyone can hit a home run every night if they shake up the things they say in their promos. Rock's had some "ehhhh" moments in his promos the past few years, yes? That's all it is, I suspect.
Posted Image

#447 Spyder187

Spyder187

Scratch & Sniff!

• Banned

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:14 AM

One has to wonder though, how many people tried to add Skidmarks187 to their friends list on XBL since Monday night?
Posted Image

i added a link to more wang pics.

#448 Chase

Chase

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:57 AM

Punk bores me on the mic.

I read about Cena's promo being gaaaaaahd-awful this past Monday, so I went back to watch it. I have to admit I was taken in by it. But for the wrong reasons. It was a stream-of-consciousness so full of fail I was awestruck. I understand what he was trying to set up, but it fucking *failed* miserably. That said, it was very catchy in a car-wreck sense, waiting to see his next fall-flat clever phrase. I'd tune in to watch Cena flop on the mic for a few months.

But Punk doesn't work for me. He tries too hard to be a new kind of cool heel. The problem is that most of the stuff he says is *right* - which is just wrong wrong wrong for a heel. I find that he's (thematically) repetitive on the mic, and the things he says don't really make me react one way or another. He's not Randy Orton boring, but he's getting there.

He appeals to smarks with his "Tyson Kidd" plug and other insider references. I think a true heel should repel the mindless WWE fan and the older wrasslin fan. That's why Miz works better as a heel. The 10-year-old WWE fan dislikes him for being a jerk, and the older WWE fan dislikes him because of Tough Enough or MTV or the fact that his in-ring work is pretty boring or whatever else.

Everyone wants to be a tweener and no one wants to fully commit. This includes Punk. Outside of Barrett and Ryder, who else completely embraces their character alignment? Even Brodus Clay has shown signs of turning heel. Just ridiculous.

Gonna point out that D-Von knows how to work the crowd and is an excellent heel. Bubba, too. Bobby Roode, Robbie E, Daniels, Kazarian, etc.

And is anyone else done with this "Shield" angle/gimmick? Had potential but now just painfully boring.

#449 Vulcan2422

Vulcan2422

Sandwich Artist with the Mouth

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:31 AM

Rock is champ for 2 months... think of all the press they will get. and the craziest thoughts i've had.... rock beats punk.... cena wins Rumble, then cena beats rock for title........... then ziggler cashes in... and wins... thats my prediction.

Ziggler cant cash in. It's not the World Heavyweight title.

Vulcan7905.png
Real Life Ice Hockey Stats: Goals - 20 Assists - 23 Penalty Minutes - 8

Granted I only played the demo of Chime, but how the heck do you get shit on by Chime?

#450 mykevermin

mykevermin

Queen of Scotland

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:41 AM

Miz is a thoroughly unlikeable skeezer, that's why he's a heel.

And is anyone else done with this "Shield" angle/gimmick? Had potential but now just painfully boring.

I'm trying to learn to be more patient with this angle and Aces/Eights. Give it time to develop, if only to encourage slower story arcs in wrestling, and less hot shot, shortsighted stuff.
Posted Image