The Santa's Slay Wrestling Thread

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
509 replies to this topic

#31 KaneRobot

KaneRobot

The Profit$ of Doom

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 December 2012 - 12:50 PM

The original idea for Hassan was great, but WWE did indeed "wuss out," by having him just start being a modern version of any 80's foreign heel. I guess I can understand some people in the company being worried that a character who made the fans the xenophobic heels is a bit high concept, but that doesn't mean I have to like them giving up on it.

His in-ring skills were mostly irrelevant. He was competent enough. That's all that matters.
Posted Image

#32 mykevermin

mykevermin

Queen of Scotland

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 December 2012 - 03:28 PM

I wouldn't say it's "high concept," but knowing enough about xenophobia/racism, it would have simply exposed a lot of the covert racism in society. Perhaps not on a grand scale so as to change social paradigms, but undoubtedly enough to scare the bejeesus out of advertisers for being associated with a company.

Advertisers, I think many of us are reluctant to admit, have a greater impact on the quality of the program than we do as fans.
Posted Image

#33 Ced

Ced

Monster Hustler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:54 PM

They had a window of opportunity to play Hassan off differently with the vignettes that portrayed him and Daivari as Americans from Minnesota being discriminated against because of their Arab backgrounds. I would wager a guess that creative couldn't think of how to portray him as a proper heel with that persona, thus the decision to go with the standard topical xenophobe gimmick and the rest is history.

#34 Halo05

Halo05

Posted 25 December 2012 - 12:58 AM

First a disclaimer, I didn't see much if any of Hassan's run as it happened. Somewhat ironically, I was in the Marine Corps at the time and didn't feel like paying for cable in the barracks. I also spent a big chunk of 2005 in Iraq. I actually joined CAG pretty much right when I came back.

Anyhow, I think the fact that we were involved in wars with actual killing and associated unpleasantness was a major factor in pulling the plug on Hassan's run. It was one thing to have a Soviet badguy stomp around in 1985 when the extent of US involvement with the USSR consisted of negotions with Gorbachev and supplying weapons to the Muj in Afghanistan. It was another matter when contractors were getting kidnapped, executed on the internet and the like.

Like ced mentioned though, the real opportunity was lost when they stopped trying to portray them as Americans who just happen to be the same color as some of the people we've been fighting in the Middle East. I mean, presumably people chanted "USA, USA" against them. I would've loved to see them go up against a Canadian team, hear the USA chants and say, "you must be chanting for us because we're from Minnesota".

As many of you know, black ops 2 is plaid with bugs, lag etc which many people have been suffering including me.

plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid

#35 Cage017

Cage017

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 December 2012 - 01:42 AM

Poor Santa.
Posted Image

#36 KaneRobot

KaneRobot

The Profit$ of Doom

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 December 2012 - 01:52 AM

I wasn't aware this was a taped show. Good to know, can just read it now and skip this thing. EDIT - just flipped it on for a second, and holy shit did the crowd noise on that Kane/Bryan sound phony,

I wouldn't say it's "high concept,"

Not exactly setting the bar high, but compared to Big Show & William Regal peeing on each other and Triple H racist jokes and whatever else they had going on at the time, it's brilliance.

------------

There's a house show here on Wednesday. Despite not being too impressed with the shows lately I'm sort of tempted to go, seems like a holiday show might be fun. The NAO are apparently going to be there, which should make sure the crowd is awake.

Oh, and Merry Christmas:

Edited by KaneRobot, 25 December 2012 - 03:38 AM.

#37 renique46

renique46

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 December 2012 - 04:05 AM

Cena: SANTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

#38 HydroX

HydroX

Posted 25 December 2012 - 10:49 AM

There's a house show here on Wednesday. Despite not being too impressed with the shows lately I'm sort of tempted to go, seems like a holiday show might be fun. The NAO are apparently going to be there, which should make sure the crowd is awake.

Contrary to popular belief, WWE house shows are actually quite good. The only shitty thing about the one you may go to is the fact that the WWE Champeen will not be in action.

#39 MushaOne

MushaOne

etc. and so forth...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 December 2012 - 12:50 PM

Contrary to popular belief, WWE house shows are actually quite good. The only shitty thing about the one you may go to is the fact that the WWE Champeen will not be in action.

I havent been to a house show in years, but when I did they were always better than any tv taping or PPV I have been too.

#40 JJSP

JJSP

Beyond economical repair.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 December 2012 - 04:16 PM

WWE 12 is $9.99 at Best Buy.

#41 HydroX

HydroX

Posted 25 December 2012 - 05:07 PM

WWE 12 is $9.99 at Best Buy.

9 dollars too expensive for the beta of WWE 13.

#42 Angry Man

Angry Man

REV-OH-LU-TION!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 December 2012 - 05:17 PM

WWE 13 is $39.99 right now on BestBuy.com which is still too much for my tastes.

New sig coming soon.

#43 Aldogg

Aldogg

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 December 2012 - 06:43 PM

WWE 13 is $39.99 right now on BestBuy.com which is still too much for my tastes.

I kind of think that is a good price. Started it the other day and am enjoying the attitude era mode bringing back a lot of great memories.

#44 Superstar

Superstar

CAG Superstar!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 December 2012 - 06:56 PM

I kind of think that is a good price. Started it the other day and am enjoying the attitude era mode bringing back a lot of great memories.

$25 on Black friday was a perfect price point for me.

#45 The Great Muta

The Great Muta

Posted 26 December 2012 - 01:14 AM

Yeah, the sweet spot, in my opinion, is $25 or less. I also got it for $25. Glad I did. Probably gonna give it away.

And merry Christmas, you bastards.

#46 Spyder187

Spyder187

Scratch & Sniff!

• Banned

Posted 26 December 2012 - 03:58 PM

I will see your Disco Fever, and raise you one of the weirdest things i have seen this week.

Posted Image

i added a link to more wang pics.

#47 The Great Muta

The Great Muta

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:37 AM

That- That's- Wait- That's actually amusing. ...in a confusing way.

#48 Ced

Ced

Monster Hustler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 December 2012 - 03:50 AM

#49 TheRock88

TheRock88

The Franchise

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:10 PM

And so it has begun...in WWE 13. Someone found a way to add real life portrait pics to CAWs just like last year. So far the only one that's on CC is Great Muta.

Posted Image

#50 mykevermin

mykevermin

Queen of Scotland

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:29 PM

Xbox or PS3?
Posted Image

#51 TheRock88

TheRock88

The Franchise

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:54 AM

Xbox, no clue on if someone did it for PS3 yet

#52 Scorch

Scorch

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:18 AM

Of course it was Petchy.. hopefully he shares his secret with Dre and we can get Dre's ECW CAW's w/ real pics

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#53 Ultimate Matt X

Ultimate Matt X

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:53 AM

Does Ring of Honor or Smart Mark Video do any year end sales on DVDs? WWEDVDNews.com has a non-WWE top ten of 2012 that has got me wanting to pick up some stuff. Speaking of the list, anyone here watch any AIW? They're a local thing, but I thought maybe there would be some followers on here as they seem to have at least some following outside of Cleveland.

#54 pitfallharry219

pitfallharry219

It's go time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:19 AM

How nice of Cena to dress up for spending the holidays with the Bella's family. FFS.

Spoiler

#55 Spyder187

Spyder187

Scratch & Sniff!

• Banned

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:33 AM

How nice of Cena to dress up for spending the holidays with the Bella's family. FFS.

Spoiler

Just be glad he isn't wearing any of his merch at the dinner table^^ Probably a house rule.
Posted Image

i added a link to more wang pics.

#56 metaphysicalstyles

metaphysicalstyles

Boo this man.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:31 AM

That's the closest I've ever seen Danielson to a beer.
Posted Imagehttp://www.yourgamercards.net/profile/neuroned%27Posted Image

#57 niceguyshawne

niceguyshawne

Hardcore since '74

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:35 AM

Made him take off the knee pads too.

#58 Ced

Ced

Monster Hustler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:55 AM

John Cena: All Jorts, All the Time.

#59 Antiques Roadshow

Antiques Roadshow

Dick Tracy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:04 PM

Kazarian's AJ Styles impersonation, last night, was hilarious. :lol: A+. Would laugh at it again.

Krumm_walk.gifOblina_walk.gifIckus_walk.gif

I'm looking for SNES games. PM me.

#60 HydroX

HydroX

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:29 PM

Kazarian's AJ Styles impersonation, last night, was hilarious. :lol: A+. Would laugh at it again.

Haha.. The flying forearm was great, but bad sell into the frogsplash.