Photo
* * * * - 26 votes

Club Nintendo Deals ~ New Games Up (9/8-10/12)

Club Nintendo Coins Wii 3DS Wii U

• Please log in to reply
7741 replies to this topic

#151 Elusive

Elusive

Posted 08 April 2013 - 05:22 PM

Great, now I have to decide if I want to register more of my products now, to have enough coins for this month's games (I have 70 right now, but would love Super Mario 64 and Super Metroid) or save 'em until the next CN year starts in July. On one hand, I still have the original cartridge for SM64 and have already played Super Metroid quite a few times, but on the other, I like the idea of having them easily accessible on my Wii. Grr.

And on another note, I used to play Kirby's Pinball Land all of the time when I was younger - and raged at it so hard. It was a difficult game, at least for 6-year old me.

#152 zechs34

zechs34

Voice of Voiceless

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2013 - 05:32 PM

When is it that we get the "special" WiiU E Shop VC downloads (the $.10 ones)? Its not today?
Posted Image

#153 Billytwoshoes

Billytwoshoes

Perpetually behind the times

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2013 - 05:34 PM

Great, now I have to decide if I want to register more of my products now, to have enough coins for this month's games (I have 70 right now, but would love Super Mario 64 and Super Metroid) or save 'em until the next CN year starts in July. On one hand, I still have the original cartridge for SM64 and have already played Super Metroid quite a few times, but on the other, I like the idea of having them easily accessible on my Wii. Grr.

And on another note, I used to play Kirby's Pinball Land all of the time when I was younger - and raged at it so hard. It was a difficult game, at least for 6-year old me.

Another thing to consider is that they might make SM64 and / or Super Metroid one of the Gold / Platinum rewards this year. Last year they made Majora's Mask, Super Mario Kart and Metroid II on that list (which were all CN reward options that same year), I don't think it would be too implausible to hold out for that possibility.

At least that's what I'm doing, and if I miss out on Super Metroid, I think the previous 5 or so times I've played it would be sufficient anyways.

#154 ZForce915

ZForce915

Group hug!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2013 - 05:56 PM

Elaborate? I'm not familiar with the workings of the WiiU

Games don't natively play on the WiiU gamepad (yet). The only way to play VC games is to enter the "Wii Mode" on your WiiU. Then you're basically in an emulated Wii and the WiiU pad no longer works.
Posted Image

#155 M3wThr33

M3wThr33

Batman with a gun.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2013 - 06:05 PM

Elaborate? I'm not familiar with the workings of the WiiU

Everything runs in an emulator in an emulator.
And slowly, they'll trickle them out to work normally, but you'll have to pay again just for the privilege to run them in JUST a single emulator.

And the price is per game, not a one-time upgrade, even though they wrap the ROM file in the exact same binary for each file. And people are happily lining up to pay Nintendo a 4th, 5th or 6th time for the same game when, if it was on another platform, like the PS3/Vita/PSP, you could play all your PS1 purchases without paying to 'upgrade' them.

#156 defpally

defpally

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2013 - 06:08 PM

When is it that we get the "special" WiiU E Shop VC downloads (the $.10 ones)? Its not today?

Those change around the 20th of the month. We get Kirby on the 17th, and Punch Out goes away on the 18th. They are $0.30, not $0.10 though.

If you have a WiiU, skip using the points, just spend the $0.30 for native WiiU pad/screen support and save states. It will be out on May 15th. The $1 charge in the future to "upgrade" the titles from Wii to WiiU does add benefit and it isn't just paying them again for the same thing. Playing on the controller screen works really well and multiple save states are great.

And Urban Champion - bleh. What a terrible game. I tried it way back in the day, back before Punch Out came out for NES thinking it would be a fairly similar game. It isn't. The fighting system makes the original Karateka look as complex as Virtua Fighter.

The Wii ones are great though. Sadly, I already had both but very great options. Two of the best games from their generations.

#157 zechs34

zechs34

Voice of Voiceless

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2013 - 06:27 PM

Those change around the 20th of the month. We get Kirby on the 17th, and Punch Out goes away on the 18th. They are $0.30, not $0.10 though.

The Wii ones are great though. Sadly, I already had both but very great options. Two of the best games from their generations.

You're right! I forgot lol. Thanks! Ive bought them all but my head drew a blank for some reason!

Mario and & Metroid are tempting but I'd rather get them on the WiiU as has been stated. Kinda pointless IMO to buy anything VC on the Wii if I have my WiiU.
Posted Image

#158 DK745

DK745

Streets Ahead

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2013 - 06:27 PM

I might get Super Mario 64 just because I don't have the VC version of it yet and just pay like $2 if/when they add the Wii U version.

#159 M3wThr33

M3wThr33

Batman with a gun.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2013 - 06:31 PM

The $1 charge in the future to "upgrade" the titles from Wii to WiiU does add benefit and it isn't just paying them again for the same thing. Playing on the controller screen works really well and multiple save states are great.

Except it's the same executable file wrapping it. If anything it should be a one-time fee to cover ALL games.

But at 30 cents it's hard to argue.

#160 defpally

defpally

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2013 - 06:39 PM

Except it's the same executable file wrapping it. If anything it should be a one-time fee to cover ALL games.

But at 30 cents it's hard to argue.

It still has to be wrapped, packaged, delivered and more importantly, tested and supported. I'm actually quite happy they even offer this option at all instead of just telling us to buy it at list price again.

Also, one thing to remember is that those who get Mario 64 for points will be able to upgrade it to WiiU for the upgrade price instead of buying it for full price AND be able to play it in the meantime. For Super Metroid obviously wait a month and just pay $0.30, but Mario 64 isn't on their anniversary list, so you will end up saving $5 bucks or so - and it might be a while before the WiiU version is released.

#161 Zonic505

Zonic505

People read these?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:08 PM

You can find a list of those games here. At the moment, Punch-Out on NES is the 30 cent game (got it on 3DS when Club Nintendo had it, but oh well), then on the 17th, it'll be Kirby's Adventure. Then on May 15th, it'll be switched out for Super Metroid, hence why it's suggested that for those that have a Wii U to just wait to get the Wii U version that includes Off TV-Play and save states not on the Wii's version.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#162 MrNinjaSquirrel

MrNinjaSquirrel

Emo Blogger

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:13 PM

You can find a list of those games here. At the moment, Punch-Out on NES is the 30 cent game (got it on 3DS when Club Nintendo had it, but oh well), then on the 17th, it'll be Kirby's Adventure. Then on May 15th, it'll be switched out for Super Metroid, hence why it's suggested that for those that have a Wii U to just wait to get the Wii U version that includes Off TV-Play and save states not on the Wii's version.

do not all VC games have save state?

Hey, you look like you have a lot of money; how about donating some of it to my Extra Life drive?

#163 heyheyhey11

heyheyhey11

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:21 PM

How's the three dee on urban champion? Three dee on kid Icarus was a joke basically did nothing to improve on the three dee

#164 Sychophantom

Sychophantom

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:35 PM

How's the three dee on urban champion? Three dee on kid Icarus was a joke basically did nothing to improve on the three dee

Urban Champion is a bad "Bad Dudes" clone. Pass on it unless you have coins about to expire. It will be offered again.

#165 UlysisAM

UlysisAM

'Nuff Said...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:38 PM

Urban Champion is a bad "Bad Dudes" clone. Pass on it unless you have coins about to expire. It will be offered again.

Shouldn't it be that Bad Dudes is a good "Urban Champion" clone?

#166 Zonic505

Zonic505

People read these?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:40 PM

do not all VC games have save state?

The ones on 3DS do (NES, GB/C, I'm sure Game Gear, etc.), but I recall that only certain games allow you to continue where you left off if you exit. Otherwise, no. This Wiki article explains it.

Also, I remembered that if you pay to make a VC game from the Wii to Wii U version ($1 for NES & $1.50 for SNES), you also have access to the Miiverse of said game and the ability to customize controls, in addition to the save states/restore points and Off TV Play. However, your save data will NOT transfer over.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#167 MrNinjaSquirrel

MrNinjaSquirrel

Emo Blogger

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:48 PM

The ones on 3DS do (NES, GB/C, I'm sure Game Gear, etc.), but I recall that only certain games allow you to continue where you left off if you exit. Otherwise, no. This Wiki article explains it.

Also, I remembered that if you pay to make a VC game from the Wii to Wii U version ($1 for NES & $2 for SNES), you also have access to the Miiverse of said game and the ability to customize controls, in addition to the save states/restore points and Off TV Play. However, your save data will NOT transfer over.

oh, didn't know that, will keep it in mind. All the games I've tried have had it, but that isn't a huge selection. So back to the topic on hand: does Super Metroid have save state?

Hey, you look like you have a lot of money; how about donating some of it to my Extra Life drive?

#168 dravack

dravack

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:00 PM

oh, didn't know that, will keep it in mind. All the games I've tried have had it, but that isn't a huge selection. So back to the topic on hand: does Super Metroid have save state?

If not that would make for a really really crappy game lol. I remember playing it for hours and hours when I was younger on the SNES. Still have it around here somewhere. I'm curious if it does or not. Either way I'll still buy it at $0.30

#169 Zonic505

Zonic505

People read these?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:19 PM

I think since the game has the ability to save in-game, it acts similar to the original cartridge version: you shut it off, you lose any unsaved data (like with PSOne or PS2 Classics on PSN). Most likely, since SM has rooms to which you can save, I'm gonna have to say no.

You can "suspend" a game by exiting via the Wii Menu, which you'll be at the spot you were at when you left off.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#170 ZeroFlame15

ZeroFlame15

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:23 PM

I am likely going to get SM64 and Kirby's Pinball Land since I have points (700) and likely the Golden Nunchuck is not coming back anytime soon...Might as well get some games.

#171 slaysme

slaysme

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:00 PM

I've got $10 PayPal for a valid xl pin. Will throw in redeem code for 150 coin game as well. May add another CN reward game to sweeten the deal. Would also accept sm3dl download code. Thanks!

Alternately, and preferable for me, I'll give codes for mario64, super metroid, and Kirby pinball. (And urban champion, if you reall want it)

Edited by slaysme, 08 April 2013 - 10:11 PM.

#172 yokofox33

yokofox33

House Stark

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:02 PM

What a great lineup this week! I'm going to snag all three games. I was addicted to Kirby's Pinball when I was a kid.

#173 dravack

dravack

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:04 PM

Stupid question but why can't I buy f-zero now? I'm aware it's passed the .30 date but i cant find it in the store at all now only a trailer =/ this is real fail. I loved that game as a kid.

#174 Zonic505

Zonic505

People read these?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:52 PM

Stupid question but why can't I buy f-zero now? I'm aware it's passed the .30 date but i cant find it in the store at all now only a trailer =/ this is real fail. I loved that game as a kid.

I can't find it either. Heck, there's no SNES option when searching by platform. I can find Balloon Fight, but that's probably due to the fact I bought it. Most likely, you're gonna have to wait until "this spring" when the actual VC service launches.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#175 dravack

dravack

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:10 PM

I can't find it either. Heck, there's no SNES option when searching by platform. I can find Balloon Fight, but that's probably due to the fact I bought it. Most likely, you're gonna have to wait until "this spring" when the actual VC service launches.

That's full of fail =/ oh well guess I'll be waiting.

#176 Kidorangepanda

Kidorangepanda

Arcade PCB Addict

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:35 PM

Well, I don't want Urban Champion, and I own physical copies of all the others. No go for me this month.
Sell me your Candy Cabs!

#177 SgtWiggles

SgtWiggles

Artist formally known as dgwillia

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 April 2013 - 12:01 AM

Opinions on Kirby? I have 1300 coins and nothing else to get

#178 Dranakin

Dranakin

Member Since Oct 2003

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 April 2013 - 12:13 AM

Dang, nothing for me this month.

#179 The Holy Pretzle

The Holy Pretzle

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 April 2013 - 12:16 AM

question about family accounts that are connected: are the coins shared subtracted when one account buys something?

#180 Zonic505

Zonic505

People read these?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 April 2013 - 12:18 AM

Opinions on Kirby? I have 1300 coins and nothing else to get

It's a decent pinball game. Nothing amazing, but for an early spin-off Kirby game, it's fun, especially for the low price/amount of coins. There's 3 tables, each with their own boss you can fight against.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Club Nintendo, Coins, Wii, 3DS, Wii U