CAGcast #325: One Is the Loneliest Number

• Please log in to reply
171 replies to this topic

#31 lorne

lorne

Sweeping the Ruins

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 May 2013 - 05:31 PM

Mandatory Kinect would be a deal breaker for me personally.

#32 bickle

bickle

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 May 2013 - 05:53 PM

Show 325 Notes:

3:30 Watch This
3:30 - Star Trek Into Darkness
7:00 Show Feedback
7:00 - Penny Arcade kickstarter
11:15 Xbox One announcement
13:30 - Social media during the announcement
18:00 - Confusion / used games
33:15 - Hard drive
36:15 - Name
39:15 - Design
40:00 - Controller
42:00 - Kinect
45:00 - Single solution to everything philosophy
48:45 - Fantasy sports
1:03:45 - Backwards Compatibility is backwards
1:11:00 New Releases
1:11:00 - Resident Evil Revelations
1:14:30 - Fast & Furious Showdown
1:17:30 - Call of Juarez: Gunslinger
1:19:00 - Metro Last Light
1:28:35 Nintendo's cash grab on user videos
1:30:30 Cagbag
1:30:30 - PS4 games vs XB1 media capabilities
1:32:30 - Top Analyst prices

#33 MSUHitman

MSUHitman

Checkmate Arcade Co-Host

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 May 2013 - 05:55 PM

Actually, I don't mind it all. I always use really nice headset/headphones (Turtle Beach) when playing games that require talking or teamwork. My kids aren't old enough to join me in Battlefield/Halo/COD.

Interesting decision though. To me the problem with this decision it is not Kinect picking up my voice. I think that could work. I see the problem as not wanting the swearing/racism/sexism to come out my speakers for all to hear.

Your TB/Tritton/Astro won't work on the XB1. See the pic below your post.

#34 MSUHitman

MSUHitman

Checkmate Arcade Co-Host

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 May 2013 - 05:56 PM

Mandatory Kinect would be a deal breaker for me personally.

It already is then. System won't boot w/o it being connected.

#35 bickle

bickle

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 May 2013 - 05:59 PM

Personally, I think both companies will restrict used games. Sony won't restrict their own first party games to keep gamer goodwill (they already said that). They will blame the publishers for forcing it on them.

I agree, this is what will happen. It explains the weird statements from both Sony and MS.

#36 ZombieJeebus

ZombieJeebus

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:18 PM

Cheapy you can turn on private browsing in the settings for your ipad if you need to get your pr0n on btw. Turn it off when you're, ahem, done.
"I love you. But I also love hanging up on you."
Cheapy D, 12/16/2009

#37 cereal_killerxx

cereal_killerxx

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:33 PM

I laughed my ass off when Wombat was pestering Cheapy about the amount of cores in his PC. Classic.

#38 expresso83

expresso83

XBL / PSN / NNID: shanafan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:35 PM

Amazing podcast, CAG!! I loved your mature approach to the Xbox Reveal show. Thank you.

Joystiq's "Super" Podcast from the Xbox Reveal was incredibly awful.

#39 Darth Sontin

Darth Sontin

Ostrava of Boletaria

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:45 PM

Mad props to Cheapy for not jumping on the "Xbox One is the worst thing to happen in the world" bandwagon. People should at least wait to see the final decision on used games from both manufacturers before hailing Sony as the savior and declaring that Microsoft is the devil.
Posted Image

#40 KillingMachine

KillingMachine

CAGnificent!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:46 PM

The "used games" thing isn't even the biggest problem with the DRM for me. I don't buy or sell used games or do rentals. What does bother me about it is needing to activate each game with Microsoft will give them too much control over my games. I do not trust them to be the gatekeeper of my game library when they've already thrown Xbox 360 backwards compatibility out the window.

How long will I still be able to download all of the things I digitally purchased for the 360 when they completely shift focus to the Xbox One? I'm not interested in signing up for this situation just to have it keep repeating itself. If I'm going to use the Steam model, I'll just use Steam.

#41 milkham

milkham

Master Massaginist

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:50 PM

Cheapy, I think you're being too dismissive of the negative response to the presentation. I'm sure you're right that some of it is a snark contest but the presentation brought nothing for many of us. I think this highlight reel makes a good point. Are you sure they won't retread this ground at E3?

They didn't even mention the controversial points, it was the conflicting messaging from their twitter, phil harrison, major nelson and whatever they told wired that has amplified all this. They've had months to gauge people's reactions to the no used games and always online rumors and they should have had a coherent message about it if they were going to talk about it now. Instead, it seems like none of them actually know what is happening, get back to us with clarifications? sure.
Posted Image
^^^^^That is Waka Inoue^^^^^^

Check My List | [url=http://flickr.com/photos/milkman/]My Flickr Page |

#42 Jasper Kazai

Jasper Kazai

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:00 PM

I don't know where you guys got the info that the Xbox One controller doesn't need batteries - it does. Maybe the fact that they said it's internal threw you off, but that just means it doesn't stick out anymore.
http://www.destructo...er-254236.phtml
I know Cheapy has stated multiple times that he wants the batteries like this, but I'm still fervently against having to use batteries. It's such a hassle and seems really outdated at this point.

I think the Xbox One name is god awful. It's just terrible. I like Sony for sticking to a simple naming convention with numbers and not breaking from it. I honestly think even the Wii U is a better name than Xbox One. And I don't really know what Cheapy was saying - personally, I refer to my PS3 as PS3, not PlayStation.

I was uninterested in the Xbox to begin with, and all of this information has just cemented my apathy towards it. There's no chance I will ever buy this.

#43 Curufinwe

Curufinwe

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:15 PM

It does not have an internal battery - it uses AAs. But the battery bulge is gone, and that's what I didn't like about the wireless 360 controller.

http://www.wired.com...s/?viewall=true

The controller still takes AA batteries, but the humplike compartment is gone. So are the screwholes.

Posted Image

Curufinwe5503.png? Curufinwe.jpg

#44 kupomogli

kupomogli

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:23 PM

I was thinking you guys didn't do last weeks CAGcast so you'd be able to do a Kickstarter for the one this week. :P

#45 greydt

greydt

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:34 PM

Props to Cheapyd for mentioning "Electric Dreams", one of the few movies I'm hoping they'll release on DVD someday (or in any digital form).

#46 combatFlexo

combatFlexo

Who are those guys?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:43 PM

I'm actually excited for the Xbox more for the entertainment factor. I have a gaming PC for a majority of games and I will pick up some to the exclusives. Currently my PS3 is always connected and always on so I could care less about that, and my PS3 basically collects dust besides playing blue-ray movies, netflix and Amazon instant video. Also with the current generation systems the PS3 is more powerful then the Xbox360, and MS seemed to do okay.

I really like the fantasy sports thing, and I'm sure they will have the Sunday ticket available on Xbox. I'm sure the pricing won't change with Sunday ticket. The fantasy football stats will only probably work if your running your league on NFL website. Either way I will just play my normal league and create a league on NFL and draft my team there so my stats pop up on the screen.

It will be nice to see what E3 brings and end all the rumors. Lets see what the next generation of systems brings us.

Edited by combatrhombus, 23 May 2013 - 11:30 PM.
Edit: see below

http://steamcommunity.com/id/TRAGINIS

Spoiler

Battlenet ID: Traginis#1577

#47 Curufinwe

Curufinwe

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:05 PM

You could less about that?

#48 jonnyhazE

jonnyhazE

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:20 PM

It does not have an internal battery - it uses AAs. But the battery bulge is gone, and that's what I didn't like about the wireless 360 controller.

http://www.wired.com...s/?viewall=true

Posted Image

Major Nelson confirmed on his blog in a yahoo chat the controller uses 2 AA batteries.

#49 Javery

Javery

Drug-Dealer-Keeper-Awayer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:31 PM

The way used games work is a huge deal for me - I buy most of my stuff used from GameFly because I don't need to play the newest games right at launch. I also have a few friends that I regularly trade games with to cut down costs (one recent trade was Tomb Raider for Bioshock Infinite). We both get to take our time and play both in succession for 1/2 the price. If they really make you pay full price (or really anything over $15-$20) for a license I will just play a ton less games. I don't understand how they could possibly think that if they block me from paying $10 for something used that all of a sudden I'll be willing to spend $60.

I'm also worried about the "always online" requirement (which is effectively what pinging their servers every 24 hours means). What happens in 10 years when the servers are no longer being maintained? I can't play my games any more? That is insane.

I do not like where the industry is headed at all.

--- Bella's Arcade --- Donkey Kong + ---

#50 Ronin559

Ronin559

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:45 PM

I though the XboxOne conference was okay, not great, not good, but not bad either, and i think it was better then the PS4 conf.

I turn my Xbox360 on every day, but I game only 3 days (maybe) a week because I now use my 360 more as a media devise then a gaming machine. We spend enough time using my xbox to watch Netflix, HBOgo, ESPN, Crunchyroll, Amazon, YouTube, etc I was able to justify buying a 2nd 360. If the XboxOne turns out to be as fast as the demo showed I can see us again buying multiple consoles down the road for media management alone.

But I did not see an IR sensor so if I cannot use a standard remote to control all the functions it will be a huge step back for the XboxOne.

On the Fantasy Football stuff I think the tie in with the NFL will get you access to the NFL Network & Redzone if you are currently a subscriber similar to the way HBOgo works. The Fantasy player stats will probably be populated from NFL.com’s fantasy site, but might give you the option to log in via ESPN.com and other popular web sites.

I can understand not supporting backward compatibility with 360 games, but losing all my XBLA game is a killer. If there is not a solution to bring over those games I downloaded I will never by a thing from the Xbox store again. I will strictly by downloadable games and movies/tv from Steam and itunes.

#51 ninju D

ninju D

Paid the cost...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:52 PM

I totally agree with Cheapy's take on the One. I was honestly pretty surprised to see how much some people/web outlets dislike it already. I work at a high school and I watched the announcement live with a group of teachers and students. There was a pretty good mix of casual and hardcore gamers probably slanted more toward casual and everyone there left extremely excited about what was shown. None of them were especially xbox-centric so it wasn't like a bunch of fanboys waiting to gush (in fact most were in the room for an unrelated pizza party). It wasn't until I started looking at the blogs etc that I saw anything that resembled negativity.

Also, maybe I am not reading the right things but haven't I seem much about the skype/NFL stuff? In my opinion that is going to be huge for the average gamer.

Good show, as usual. And I chuckled every time you mentioned BatShip industries.

#52 Loonknight

Loonknight

Dirk The Daring

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:53 PM

The way used games work is a huge deal for me - I buy most of my stuff used from GameFly because I don't need to play the newest games right at launch. I also have a few friends that I regularly trade games with to cut down costs (one recent trade was Tomb Raider for Bioshock Infinite). We both get to take our time and play both in succession for 1/2 the price. If they really make you pay full price (or really anything over $15-$20) for a license I will just play a ton less games. I don't understand how they could possibly think that if they block me from paying $10 for something used that all of a sudden I'll be willing to spend $60.

I'm also worried about the "always online" requirement (which is effectively what pinging their servers every 24 hours means). What happens in 10 years when the servers are no longer being maintained? I can't play my games any more? That is insane.

I do not like where the industry is headed at all.

These are my concerns as well. Not to mention for my friends who are stationed overseas or at sea without internet at all. I can't send them a care package of my old games if they require an internet connection to play them.

I also don't like the required Kinect as a separate peripheral. Another thing that could potentially break, not in my gaming room but my sister has some destructive children. Don't get my started how they are going to be messing with each other with the whole "Xbox TV, Xbox Game" bit. I hope you can disable it for her sake. Two kids fighting over a TV can be disastrous, and she has five of them.

I'm going to wait and see about this mess before I decide to finalize my conclusions but as it stands it does not look good for the Xbox One for me.

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ Raise your bananas ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

#53 AFRO insomniac

AFRO insomniac

Go Kings!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 May 2013 - 12:19 AM

Cheapy, what happens in 10-15 years when I want to play a Xbox One game and Microsoft has already pulled the servers?

Are all my Xbox One games perishable items? This is the future of gaming?

Playing

Spoiler
2014 2013

#54 milkham

milkham

Master Massaginist

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 May 2013 - 12:30 AM

I totally agree with Cheapy's take on the One. I was honestly pretty surprised to see how much some people/web outlets dislike it already. I work at a high school and I watched the announcement live with a group of teachers and students. There was a pretty good mix of casual and hardcore gamers probably slanted more toward casual and everyone there left extremely excited about what was shown. None of them were especially xbox-centric so it wasn't like a bunch of fanboys waiting to gush (in fact most were in the room for an unrelated pizza party). It wasn't until I started looking at the blogs etc that I saw anything that resembled negativity.

Also, maybe I am not reading the right things but haven't I seem much about the skype/NFL stuff? In my opinion that is going to be huge for the average gamer.

Good show, as usual. And I chuckled every time you mentioned BatShip industries.

Well, the announcement pretty much only talked about tv, sports and cod, the negativity is from neglecting to talk about games and the after-announcement interviews/twitter talk, where they gave conflicting statements on used games and the always calling home stuff. All the bad stuff was discussed seperately from the video.
Posted Image
^^^^^That is Waka Inoue^^^^^^

Check My List | [url=http://flickr.com/photos/milkman/]My Flickr Page |

#55 Curufinwe

Curufinwe

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 May 2013 - 12:51 AM

How is Skype and NFL huge for the average gamer?

It's interesting how certain people can watch a console reveal where not a single game is shown running in real time and not even bat an eyelid.

#56 DQT

DQT

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 May 2013 - 01:34 AM

I'm really looking forward to this one.

#57 Poorleno

Poorleno

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 May 2013 - 02:18 AM

Listening to the 'cast now...

re: NFL/sports stuff for XB1

It was revealed yesterday that MS is paying the NFL 400 million over FIVE years. 80 mill a year....yeah that stuff isn't gonna be free.

I think they want the NFL to use Surface tablets on the field and what not. Probably why it is that much. Expect Microsoft ads in abundance during NFL games.
Posted Image

#58 Dr Mario Kart

Dr Mario Kart

SD/2D Defense Force

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 May 2013 - 03:04 AM

XB1 is kind of what Microsoft has been building towards the entire time they've been in the gaming business. It was their end goal from the beginning.

Every HD console so far has lost between 3 and 5 BILLION dollars, so a shift in strategy really couldnt be much worse. Its worth a shot anyway, since we're not exactly going to bend the development cost curve that has cratered so many developers over the last cycle.

With all that power and online infrastructure on deck - you'd be leaving a lot of money on the table if you DIDNT have all this other stuff available.

#59 warmonked

warmonked

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 May 2013 - 03:34 AM

They did say the external drive would be able to do everything the internal could. If that holds true, that's awesome. I would totally buy a cheap SSD and use it for game installs

#60 halvorsb

halvorsb

Um....yeah

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 May 2013 - 04:50 AM

Oh man, finally. Someone identified the challenge we have in my household with the Kinect and identical twins.

As a parent of 11 year old twin boys, kinect causes more fights with profile switching than arguments on which games to play. It constantly switches which kid is signed in, really annoying. I have to admit that one of my first thoughts with the XBOne was that I hope that's fixed for Kinect 2.0.

Totally agree w Cheapy that PS4 and One will have the same (or similar) used game protection.

At the end of the day, we are moving in the direction of full digital distribution and always on. Neither bother me, though the idea of a digital trade in program definitely intrigues me.

Keep up the entertaining show.