Tomodachi Life (Collection) announced for NA/EU with craziest Direct ever

Dead of Knight

CAGiversary!
Feedback
15 (100%)
Last edited by a moderator:
This looks....yeah, there are no words. I was thinking about buying this after reading about it earlier today. Just had a chance to watch the direct.....now i'm not so sure anymore. Think I will wait for reviews.

Can't wait for this to come out. I wonder how much they changed the game to account for cultural differences during localization...

I only heard about this through someone else this morning. At first, I was afraid it was a delayed April Fool's joke. When I found out it was real, I was elated.

I'm the person who said, "Day 1." Totes for real.

I thought it looked weird but my child said that Tomodachi Life is going to make a great addition to our game collection.

The weirdness continues with Weird Dreams:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fq4bSdxudrg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GfdemcL35A

I'm going cart but I feel like I will be playing a lot so...I might do digital. well I am back to square one

I've been looking up gameplay videos of this on Youtube, and they are full of WT fuck ery.

And did you know you can make your Miis sing songs in this game? Reviewers who have advance copies of this game are posting some hilarious stuff--like Morgan Freeman Mii singing.

Day one buy for me, and I might even go digital with this one! I just need to figure out who I want to populate my island.

I wish this was out already
but because I'm dying for a new game to replace Animal Crossing for my go to game. I really want Bravely Default first then this.

Due to the lack of same sex marriages in this game I shall be boycotting it.......until it's cheap somewhere.  By then Nintendo will hopefully have learnt its lesson !

You should all be ashamed supporting this bigot company by purchasing their bigot game

/gamespress

*haven't watched any videos on it, but people seem hyped. Will probably buy*

I think I can say that. I am a supporter of the LGBT community and not a bigot in any way but I will still buy this game. I understand that people are boycotting this game due to the actions of the company but I'm keeping politics out of gaming and enjoy the game on it's on merits. that's just how I feel

I understand not wanting to be locked-out of game mechanics/systems because of your sexual orientation but the time and effort put into this campaign could be much better spent elsewhere.

I'm just not sold because Nintendo "hates" same-sex marriage like some people in the press are clamoring about, I just think they overlooked the option. I could be wrong and the people behind the game could be the most hateful people on the planet, but I have no reason to believe this. Of course their response wasn't the greatest and came off cold and uncaring....

I'm just not sold because Nintendo "hates" same-sex marriage like some people in the press are clamoring about, I just think they overlooked the option. I could be wrong and the people behind the game could be the most hateful people on the planet, but I have no reason to believe this. Of course their response wasn't the greatest and came off cold and uncaring....
I think they actually had it in (albeit probably accidentally), but it got patched out after its initial release in Japan. I personally don't think it's a huge deal only because almost every game ever don't have a feature. The only ones I can think of off hand that allow for same-sex marriages are the Fable Series and the Sims. Oddly enough, my favorite part of Fable 3 was being a lesbian polygamist with a wife in every area that would allow it. :lol:

Still, I guess it would have been a nice addition. Although, I kind of thought this was a kid's game or something.

I think they actually had it in (albeit probably accidentally), but it got patched out after its initial release in Japan. I personally don't think it's a huge deal only because almost every game ever don't have a feature. The only ones I can think of off hand that allow for same-sex marriages are the Fable Series and the Sims. Oddly enough, my favorite part of Fable 3 was being a lesbian polygamist with a wife in every area that would allow it. :lol:

Still, I guess it would have been a nice addition. Although, I kind of thought this was a kid's game or something.
I had to Google this again to find the information, but (if you are willing to believe Nintendo is being honest and not saving face), they said it was part of a glitch that caused the game data not to save.

Two developments occurred that led to some misunderstanding about this.

First, as a result of a mistake in comprehension of Japanese, some people misinterpreted Japanese reports and fan activity and thought same-sex relationships were possible.

This occurred because they saw Japanese fans posting game screenshots of male and female Mii characters, where female Mii characters were designed and clothed in such a way that they looked male. Since these explanations were made in Japanese by the Japanese fans who posted the images, the Japanese people do not have such a misunderstanding.

Second, a critical bug occurred in the original Japanese version of the game which made it impossible for the player to continue the game.

When Mii characters were imported from a Wii console, or the previous game in the Tomodachi Collection series on Nintendo DS (which was only released in Japan), into the Nintendo 3DS version, it could lead to scrambled Mii data within the Nintendo 3DS version.

This could result in different Miis being randomly assigned to existing in-game relationships, such as already married Mii, or as just one other example, giving the appearance of same-sex relations. Because this bug caused the inability for the player to save the game data and continue the game, we released a patch.
Regardless, even if they are being honest, I would be shocked if they didn't pay any attention to the outcry over the removal of a same-sex marriage option.

It's weird to think that of all the weirdness that comes out of Japan (and some that should really stay in Japan), same-sex marriage would be the line they can't cross. Hope it gets patched in for those that want it.

It looks like same-sex marriage won't be patched into this game, but it's a possibility if they make a sequel:

http://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detail/c4FWbi-Uave2T9R1h7SFzX0aoa-d4pgx

FB post: https://www.facebook.com/Nintendo/posts/628547767229680

We are committed to fun and entertainment for everyone
2014-05-09

We apologize for disappointing many people by failing to include same-sex relationships in Tomodachi Life. Unfortunately, it is not possible for us to change this game’s design, and such a significant development change can’t be accomplished with a post-ship patch. At Nintendo, dedication has always meant going beyond the games to promote a sense of community, and to share a spirit of fun and joy. We are committed to advancing our longtime company values of fun and entertainment for everyone. We pledge that if we create a next installment in the Tomodachi series, we will strive to design a game-play experience from the ground up that is more inclusive, and better represents all players.

Nintendo's explanation that they can't do a patch is a lie obviously since huge patches/changes/DLC are possible. It's almost certain that the real reason is that it would not be profitable but they didn't want to sound callous.

As for people saying that same sex relationships are only in fable and the sims...
What about Skyrim, Mass Effect, Persona? I'm sure there are others.

Nintendo's explanation that they can't do a patch is a lie obviously since huge patches/changes/DLC are possible. It's almost certain that the real reason is that it would not be profitable but they didn't want to sound callous.

As for people saying that same sex relationships are only in fable and the sims...
What about Skyrim, Mass Effect, Persona? I'm sure there are others.
My point being that it is still a pretty rare thing in games, which is why Fable and the Sims were the only ones I could think of off the top of my head. Even with Mass Effect, male/male relationships were not allowed until Mass Effect 3 and I'm fairly certain they didn't patch it in either for the first two games. Also, of the games mentioned, The Sims is the only one that's not "M" rated.

Nintendo patching it in could be kind of problematic being a 3DS game. It seems to me that 3DS games are usually only patched when its something that's game breaking. Additionally, companies hardly ever make changes to gameplay mechanics in localization. They may change character designs or take something out for regional reasons, but they usually don't add features that are not in the original (although that's not always true.)

What's nice is that Nintendo has said that they're open to having homosexual relationships in the next Tomodachi game.

You can't even control who your Mii falls in love with in the first place with this game, so I don't get the issue. For the most part it seems like more then half of this game is watching what's going on rather then actually making things happen in it.

I believe that Nintendo also really didn't want to delay Tomodachi Life (as that's what they'd have to do to change a major part of the game). If TL were released in the fall, it'd likely be overshadowed by many AAA titles (and likely at least 1 of Ninty's own of said AAA titles). I'm looking forward to this game regardless, as it looks to be big dumb Mii fun. :D/

You can't even control who your Mii falls in love with in the first place with this game, so I don't get the issue. For the most part it seems like more then half of this game is watching what's going on rather then actually making things happen in it.
You can't?

Dang, how am I gonna make sure my miis end up with the right people :(

You can't?

Dang, how am I gonna make sure my miis end up with the right people :(
It's one of the reasons why I'm on the fence about this game (not about who my Mii ends up with haha). Giving my Mii food and presents just doesn't seem fun. I want to see what crazy stuff the Mii's get into, but for a $30+ price tag? I'm still not sure about this game.

There are some gameplay videos in English here:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLmzNOj_HPsNuDy-KRUNfZnEHQ58QrcIvb

I think when you add a new Mii to the island, the other Miis that are already there will ask about what you think about the new Mii and if they'd get along with them, so you can probably sort of steer them towards or away from other characters depending on how you answer them.

They'll also say that they want to meet so and so and you have the option to either introduce them or tell them "not now".

It's one of the reasons why I'm on the fence about this game (not about who my Mii ends up with haha). Giving my Mii food and presents just doesn't seem fun. I want to see what crazy stuff the Mii's get into, but for a $30+ price tag? I'm still not sure about this game.

There are some gameplay videos in English here:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLmzNOj_HPsNuDy-KRUNfZnEHQ58QrcIvb

I think when you add a new Mii to the island, the other Miis that are already there will ask about what you think about the new Mii and if they'd get along with them, so you can probably sort of steer them towards or away from other characters depending on how you answer them.

They'll also say that they want to meet so and so and you have the option to either introduce them or tell them "not now".
The randomness of this game
deadh.gif

This is definitely a digital download type of game. Devote time into this or just stick with Mario Kart 8 and its online features?

My point being that it is still a pretty rare thing in games, which is why Fable and the Sims were the only ones I could think of off the top of my head. Even with Mass Effect, male/male relationships were not allowed until Mass Effect 3 and I'm fairly certain they didn't patch it in either for the first two games. Also, of the games mentioned, The Sims is the only one that's not "M" rated.

Nintendo patching it in could be kind of problematic being a 3DS game. It seems to me that 3DS games are usually only patched when its something that's game breaking. Additionally, companies hardly ever make changes to gameplay mechanics in localization. They may change character designs or take something out for regional reasons, but they usually don't add features that are not in the original (although that's not always true.)

What's nice is that Nintendo has said that they're open to having homosexual relationships in the next Tomodachi game.
I don't know what the "M rating" of those other games has to do with this. Are you somehow implying that if this game had a same sex relationship option that is grounds for an M rating? They have DLC in 3DS games now. I have no doubt that they could add this in, it's just not profitable. The developers that made this game are almost certainly on another project and they don't want to bring part of the team back to patch this game when that patch won't generate enough revenue to cover the cost of the patch plus the downtime on the other game.

This article from Polygon pretty much convinced me on the subject.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/5/7/5691280/tomodachi-life-same-sex-relationships-nintendo

Tye Marini recently began a campaign, dubbed Miiquality, to allow same-sex marriages within the game. As a gay player, Marini wants to be able to marry his real-life fiance's Mii, but isn't allowed due to the constraints on homosexual relationships.

"My only options are to marry some female Mii, to change the gender of either my Mii or my fiancé's Mii (and other male Miis) or to completely avoid marriage altogether and miss out on the exclusive content that comes with it," Marini said in a video. "But none of these are a real solution."

I don't know what the "M rating" of those other games has to do with this. Are you somehow implying that if this game had a same sex relationship option that is grounds for an M rating? They have DLC in 3DS games now. I have no doubt that they could add this in, it's just not profitable. The developers that made this game are almost certainly on another project and they don't want to bring part of the team back to patch this game when that patch won't generate enough revenue to cover the cost of the patch plus the downtime on the other game.

This article from Polygon pretty much convinced me on the subject.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/5/7/5691280/tomodachi-life-same-sex-relationships-nintendo
I said no such thing, but you're right. It doesn't make fiscal sense to spend the money and delay a game that's already been out for over a year in Japan.

I said no such thing, but you're right. It doesn't make fiscal sense to spend the money and delay a game that's already been out for over a year in Japan.
I certainly don't begrudge them for not doing this given the massive losses they've taken the last year but it would have been nice for them to have thrown a "bone" to their gay supporters.

I certainly don't begrudge them for not doing this given the massive losses they've taken the last year but it would have been nice for them to have thrown a "bone" to their gay supporters.
I see what you did there.

I still have the game preordered, but I'll definitely be watching for reviews around the launch. If the reviews suggest the game is mostly random aimlessness with not a lot to do, I'll wait for a sale or something.

Mr. Sailorneorune :rofl: got a Demodachi code. So now it's in my 3DS. You do get a bonus with this demo - 2 panda suits. 1 for you, and 1 to share with a friend (or spouse, in my case) who buys the full version.

Grr, I wants demo!

Or at least someone better give me a panda suit, damnit. I preordered this sucker and want all my advantages. Especially panda suits. :joystick:

Never got a code, but it appears the demo will be released same day as the game. Since I'm getting mine from Amazon (free gift cards are awesome) I guess I'll be playing the demo for a few days first. 

Am I the only one who played the demo and had kind of a :whistle2:k reaction? I mean, it's charming as hell...but the demo ends so quickly. I do wonder how much actual content is in the game. Is this more of a pop in and play for 10 minutes everyday experience? I'm debating cancelling my preorder at Amazon to wait for a lower price before my game ships or just pick up somewhere else if the reviews end up being good. Reviews will be up in a few days.

Am I the only one who played the demo and had kind of a :whistle2:k reaction? I mean, it's charming as hell...but the demo ends so quickly. I do wonder how much actual content is in the game. Is this more of a pop in and play for 10 minutes everyday experience? I'm debating cancelling my preorder at Amazon to wait for a lower price before my game ships or just pick up somewhere else if the reviews end up being good. Reviews will be up in a few days.
It's one of those burst play games similar to Animal Crossing that encourage you to visit daily and specific times, etc. So playing for LONG periods of time might wear it out a bit. As for the reviews, i'm not sure if I would even trust a review on a game like this. My guess is that it's going to get fairly low scores just because it's bringing something new to the table that's not a racer, puzzle game, or fps.

It looks to cater to a specific crowd of gamers looking for something super unusual.

NintenDann got an early copy from Nintendo, and has a bunch of videos on Youtube. So did WiiFolderJosh. I started restricting myself from watching too much though.

bread's done
Back